Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I'm sure he will get sent down after his 9 games, but I certainly don't fault them for not playing him against the Blues. Prior to the game, we expected that we would get rolled as usual, why put him in just to get shelled and his confidence hurt. For a kid learning the NA game, being able to see the systems unfold from above would be more valuable than him being in that specific game. IMHO.

Why even give him 9 right now? Why not send him down, let him work on his game and give him a 3 game stint closer to x-mas or the new year? He isn't needed on the roster right now, but could be later in the year.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i hope :] plays on sunday.....matthews scores 4....then he plays Laine who gets 3 so naturally :] is in line for a hat trick

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005
Why even give him 9 right now? Why not send him down, let him work on his game and give him a 3 game stint closer to x-mas or the new year? He isn't needed on the roster right now, but could be later in the year.

i think TM sees that he isnt that far off to being ready. He is good enough that they traded yakupov and good enough that versteeg went to calgary knowing he would get replaced. if the coaches see the main issue as a young player learning a new system and trying to get him used to the speed at which he has to make decisions then his best course is to stay up and practice with the team.

having said that if after 2 week extra practice they put him in and he still looks a bit off and they dont see instant progress then he probably gets sent down

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
i think TM sees that he isnt that far off to being ready. He is good enough that they traded yakupov and good enough that versteeg went to calgary knowing he would get replaced. if the coaches see the main issue as a young player learning a new system and trying to get him used to the speed at which he has to make decisions then his best course is to stay up and practice with the team.

having said that if after 2 week extra practice they put him in and he still looks a bit off and they dont see instant progress then he probably gets sent down

Agree 100% and I think that this is McLellan's opinion too.

Spending some time in Edmonton and getting to know the city, the coaches, the other players, systems, etc. is valuable for him.

If he goes down to the minors, at least he'll know what he has to do to stay in the NHL.

His size, speed and shot are definitely NHL ready, but he just needs to learn the NA game and that's where Slepyshev is ahead of him at this point.

The Oilers finally have a bit of depth and I'm loving it.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Agree 100% and I think that this is McLellan's opinion too.

Spending some time in Edmonton and getting to know the city, the coaches, the other players, systems, etc. is valuable for him.

If he goes down to the minors, at least he'll know what he has to do to stay in the NHL.

His size, speed and shot are definitely NHL ready, but he just needs to learn the NA game and that's where Slepyshev is ahead of him at this point.

The Oilers finally have a bit of depth and I'm loving it.

Yeah, McLellan also made a point to say that it's not only about Puljujarvi needing to adjust, it's also about rewarding guys like Pitlick and Slepyshev who have contributed to their current record, putting Pulju in a catch/22 situation right now.

As you say, depth=not bad thing.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Time to send him down and get him some games while we've got Slepy/Pitlick playing well. Give him 5 games down there and re-evaluate at that time.

I think we can all agree that he's not going to gain much by sitting in the press box 1/2 the time.

There's nothing permanent about sending him down. He can be up and down all year depending on how he's playing and other guys are playing.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Time to send him down and get him some games while we've got Slepy/Pitlick playing well. Give him 5 games down there and re-evaluate at that time.

I think we can all agree that he's not going to gain much by sitting in the press box 1/2 the time.

There's nothing permanent about sending him down. He can be up and down all year depending on how he's playing and other guys are playing.

You're 100% correct, and I honestly believe that's the plan....after Sunday (unless he goes 2-2 against the Jets). I think they wanted to see him in Regular NHL action, let him experience the NHL and have him be a part of the Heritage Classic before making a call on him, whether we agree with that decision or not.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think part of the reason he's still here is because of the language barrier. Easier to deal with it in Edmonton then Bakersfield.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I think part of the reason he's still here is because of the language barrier. Easier to deal with it in Edmonton then Bakersfield.

I think you guys overrate this quite a bit. There are plenty of guys who've made the transition before, plenty of guys who have had Finnish teammates and could help. Plus it's probably easier in Bakersfield, because Sallinen and Laurikainen are down there. I don't know about Sallinen, but Laurikainen played in the WHL, he's probably got a decent grasp of the English Language.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I think you guys overrate this quite a bit. There are plenty of guys who've made the transition before, plenty of guys who have had Finnish teammates and could help. Plus it's probably easier in Bakersfield, because Sallinen and Laurikainen are down there. I don't know about Sallinen, but Laurikainen played in the WHL, he's probably got a decent grasp of the English Language.

His translator and teacher are here though...

CornKicker

Feb 18, 2005

lol hey jesse we are sending you to the AHL

*confused look*

PC: im sorry todd ive told him like 4 times hes going to the AHL but he just keeps showing up here

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
It's not hard to find another translator and teacher for when he's in the AHL.

I'm sure the translator is basically living with him. If he's comfortable with the one here its easier to keep him here then to try and find another translator to live with him 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad