Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Probably not, but none of those guys is 6'4/210 lbs. Pulju's size/speed combo is absolutely elite. His speed is probably not among the best but it's still borderline elite. His acceleration is very good but edgework needs some work.

Keep in mind he isn't in the top mid-season form right now. His body hasn't adjusted to the NHL speed and his current condition clearly lags behind. He is wearing out his legs quicker than normally. Once he gets his legs going and gains some durability I am sure he will stand out as one of the elite skaters in the NHL.

I hear these guys saying his speed/size combo is elite, but then once you actually see him on the ice that's simply not true at the NHL level. Sorry.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
I hear these guys saying his speed/size combo is elite, but then once you actually see him on the ice that's simply not true at the NHL level. Sorry.

Yes it is. He has shown glimpses of elite skating even at the NHL level but the problem is his legs can't keep up and the fatigue is catching up on him quicker than he is used to.

Normally Pulju is a tireless skater who can fly constantly without showing much fatigue. That has not been the case in the NHL. He can gain speed momentarily but his legs usually wear out towards the end of a shift. Oftentimes he is slower than what he is capable of based on his abilities.

Wait til he is in the mid season form. Then I am sure he shows a much better skating ability than he's shown thus far.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
"He's not in mid-season form."
"Give him time."

It's weird how we don't offer the same privileges to other players when it comes to letting them do these in the AHL.

Go to the A, build confidence, get used to the speed, get into form with easier competition with higher minutes and opportunity. Especially considering that a majority of people have clearly stated he's behind the play in this thread.

Please, someone tell me how this is a bad thing for Pulju?

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Yes it is. He has shown glimpses of elite skating even at the NHL level but the problem is his legs can't keep up and the fatigue is catching up on him quicker than he is used to.

Normally Pulju is a tireless skater who can fly constantly without showing much fatigue. That has not been the case in the NHL. He can gain speed momentarily but his legs usually wear out towards the end of a shift. Oftentimes he is slower than what he is capable of based on his abilities.

Wait til he is in the mid season form. Then I am sure he shows a much better skating ability than he's shown thus far.

He also doesn't fully understand his spacing in the NHL along with the speed, which is a huge curve of learning.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
"He's not in mid-season form."
"Give him time."

It's weird how we don't offer the same privileges to other players when it comes to letting them do these in the AHL.

Go to the A, build confidence, get used to the speed, get into form with easier competition with higher minutes and opportunity. Especially considering that a majority of people have clearly stated he's behind the play in this thread.

Please, someone tell me how this is a bad thing for Pulju?

He will not get used to the speed of the NHL playing in the AHL. He will not learn how to adjust to the NHL game in the AHL.

A majority of people on HF (isn't actually a majority, just the loudest people) think something? It must be true then.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007

I just don't see it but I hope you're right.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
He will not get used to the speed of the NHL playing in the AHL. He will not learn how to adjust to the NHL game in the AHL.

A majority of people on HF (isn't actually a majority, just the loudest people) think something? It must be true then.

The Oilers need to win games, not hold the hands of their prospects. Those days are over. He can't keep up, so go figure it out in the AHL.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
He also doesn't fully understand his spacing in the NHL along with the speed, which is a huge curve of learning.

I don't disagree. The positioning and timing on the ice are things he needs to work on and the AHL would perhaps be the best place for him to start off. At least a million times better than sitting in the press box and not playing at all.

But I merely commented on his skating ability and why I think his skating seems worse than it actually is.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Laine seems to have had some trouble with his game, but he's managed to save the situation by scoring already four goals. However, his situation has been quite different from Pulju's, as he's been playing much more and in Winnipeg they really want to utilize Laine's shot. I'm surprised this hasn't been the case with Edmonton and Pulju, since JP has an amazing shot as well.

Pulju also scored in his first game, but in the next game he got only seven minutes or so, while Laine played over or at least about 20 minutes if I recall correctly. So you can tell the strategies with these two young guys are quite different. If Edmonton tried to use Pulju in a similar way during PP there's a good chance he'd scored more. It's also different to play when you know one bad mistake can send you straight to AHL. Pulju also missed the tough WC games so he's only had three "real" games with limited time on the ice.

I wouldn't like to sound like comparing the two Finns, but the fact is that statistically there is no big difference with these guys, and if there's an edge it goes to Pulju. Last fall was a clear exception though and Laine has the valuable experience of the World Cup And World Championship games. As a Finn I'm excited that Laine has started his season so well, I think there's a great chance he will score loads of goals already this season. However, at the same time it should be remembered that without the responsibility and ice time he's been given he might have had a different kind of a start to the season. That's why I would love to see Pulju given a good chance especially on PP. Then if it's not enough he may well be sent down to AHL for at least some time. I'm personally positive that you guys will end up being very happy to have him in the team, the season has only just begun.

Sorry I mentioned Laine so many times in a single message. I just ment to underline the different situations the two players have in their teams. I'll try to stick to Pulju from now on. I also know that for some people praising a player coming from his own country is a red flag, but I really think that Pulju will be a better player than what #4 would let one assume.

Last edited:

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I don't disagree. The positioning and timing on the ice are things he needs to work on and the AHL would perhaps be the best place for him to start off. At least a million times better than sitting in the press box and not playing at all.

But I merely commented on his skating ability and why I think his skating seems worse than it actually is.

Makes sense.
Also, a lot more stop and starts and the board play that he's consistently doing (which is great!) has to be wearing when you're not entirely used to it. I'm not saying the SMLiiga doesn't provide this type of training through their games, but the severity and frequency on smaller ice surfaces has to be different.

Agreed though. No point in trying to mold him in the NHL, when the AHL is a perfect place to develop. The kid is extremely raw, but there's so many flashes that you know it would be in everyone's best interest to get him in the AHL right now to catch up.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The Oilers need to win games, not hold the hands of their prospects. Those days are over. He can't keep up, so go figure it out in the AHL.

He's 4th on the club for scoring chances while on the ice compared to scoring chances against while on the ice. He isnt missing defensive assignments, he is effective on the forecheck as well. The team is 3-1, can you name one single play that he has made has cost the team a game, a goal against even?

Who should they play in his place that would be any better?

HE IS NOT GOING TO FIGURE OUT THE NHL WHILE PLAYING IN THE AHL

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
He's 4th on the club for scoring chances while on the ice compared to scoring chances against while on the ice. He isnt missing defensive assignments, he is effective on the forecheck as well. The team is 3-1, can you name one single play that he has made has cost the team a game, a goal against even?

Slepyshev replaced him and instantly looked better. That's who they should (and did) play in his place.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Makes sense.
Also, a lot more stop and starts and the board play that he's consistently doing (which is great!) has to be wearing when you're not entirely used to it. I'm not saying the SMLiiga doesn't provide this type of training through their games, but the severity and frequency on smaller ice surfaces has to be different.

You're absolutely right. In Liiga the board play and quick transitions are much more scarce phenomenons compared to the NHL. Also teams don't usually execute possession game through cycling along the boards due to the extra time and space to make plays with.

The adjustment to the NHL is a real thing and will take some time especially for those coming from Europe, regardless of the skill level. The game is played much differently from the NHL over here.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Did you actually read that article?

According to it, he's contributed to 4 scoring chances.

He hasn't been terrible, but I'm pretty sure he would learn a lot more in the AHL where he wouldn't be playing sheltered minutes and being in on one scoring chance per game.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016

I'm afraid I also tend to think it would be best for Pulju's development and in the long term possibly for Edmonton as well if Pulju could stay in NHL. However, I understand that the coaches also need to make sure that the team gets as many points as possible. I just thought that they would want to check what JP has to offer on PP before making decisions.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Did you actually read that article?

According to it, he's contributed to 4 scoring chances.

He hasn't been terrible, but I'm pretty sure he would learn a lot more in the AHL where he wouldn't be playing sheltered minutes and being in on one scoring chance per game.

I finally read the article and it's not a glowing report on the kid for sure.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
The adjustment to the NHL is a real thing and will take some time especially for those coming from Europe, regardless of the skill level. The game is played much differently from the NHL over here.

This is true. While the style of playing in Finland may well be the closest to NHL in Europe, it is very different indeed. Matthews and Laine had the WC games to help with adjusting, but Pulju had to step pretty much straight to these games.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

i agree with you and think its why they are keeping him at practice NHL level

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
Can he go to the AHL or is it Finland if we send him down?

God it would suck to see him have to go to Finland. He needs to learn the NA game.

He doesn't look too fast out there. I think it's mostly because he finds himself at a dead stop a lot of the time.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Can he go to the AHL or is it Finland if we send him down?

God it would suck to see him have to go to Finland. He needs to learn the NA game.

He doesn't look too fast out there. I think it's mostly because he finds himself at a dead stop a lot of the time.

He can go to the AHL.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I think some of the Finns in this thread have a false idea that we're down on Pulju. We aren't. His tools are readily apparent.

He also hasn't been able to keep up so far. That's hardly an indictment, few players his age can.

I won't pretend like I'm on the coaching staff and know how to best handle his development, but I can clearly see that he isn't ready for the type of role Matthews and Laine are playing in the NHL.

Ultimately that means nothing. Development is rarely linear.

Patch101

Feb 27, 2002
Kamloops
Guys, its about playing big minutes, building confidence, and dominating at the AHL level so that he can continue that in the NHL.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I think some of the Finns in this thread have a false idea that we're down on Pulju. We aren't. His tools are readily apparent.

I see your point and agree with you. Not just the quote but the whole post.

I've seen dozens of games from Laine and Pulju and I've seen how they were the dominating players in the Finnish playoffs. It almost seemed like they competed which one makes or organizes more important goals. Yes it's a different league but to have a spring like Pulju had is still quite exceptional, especially for an 17-year-old.

I believe that despite his rawness JP might be able to claim his spot in the roster if he were given a proper chance especially on PP. That's what Laine is doing, he is allowed to be raw as the team wants to utilize his scoring abilities to the best. I think that Jesse's shooting and scoring skills are also good enough to do a lot of good things on PP.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
He can go to the AHL.

I think earlier in this thread some members said that JP would need to be offered to Finland first. I think it had something to do with the age of 18 and 19, but I'm not sure. I don't know anything about this myself so I can be wrong. In any case I'm sure he won't be playing in Finland. Not for at least 20 years or without possible lockouts...

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Sometimes I wonder how good RNH, Yak, Schultz and others would have been if they spent extra time in junior/AHL instead of being rushed into the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad