Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
Sometimes I wonder how good RNH, Yak, Schultz and others would have been if they spent extra time in junior/AHL instead of being rushed into the NHL.

Yak spent time in the KHL. Schultz and Yak got Eakinsd, and RNH had the creativeness coached out of him.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sometimes I wonder how good RNH, Yak, Schultz and others would have been if they spent extra time in junior/AHL instead of being rushed into the NHL.

Yak spent time in the KHL. Schultz and Yak got Eakinsd, and RNH had the creativeness coached out of him.

He was only in the KHL because of the lockout. During that time the others were in the AHL, which to me was disappointing as the team did better once Hall, Schultz and RNH came back to the NHL. Really don't think the AHL would've done anything for RNH and Schultz as it didn't when they were there. They essentially did what made them successful in Junior and didn't really work on their game.

Maybe it would've been different if it wasn't the lockout, but those guys really didn't learn jack **** down there.

MuzzaFuzza

MVP(s)
Apr 20, 2012
Red Deer
Yeah, i'd like him to spend some time in the AHL, which isn't a bad thing as hes only 18 and could learn the NA game down there. Hes gonna be good though can't wait to be able to roll out this top 9:

Pouliot - McDavid - Pulju
Lucic - RNH - Eberle
Maroon - Draisatl - Slepy/Cagguila

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
No problem with Pulju getting 20+ mins/game down in the AHL. Especially in light of Pitlick and Slepyshev stepping up and playing like they don't want to get sent back down again.

He's McDavids future RWer (that size, speed, and shot combination? :amazed:). Let the kid get seasoned and adjusted to a new game. He'll be a force in a few years.

Him and McDavid will be the fastest C-RW combination in the NHL down the road.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

If anything the time spent in the AHL hurt our good young players. They didn't have to play a system down there, they developed bad habits and were able to dominate based on skill alone. They came back to the NHL and looked brutal trying to adjust back to a NHL style game.

:] has the skill to play in the NHL. He needs to learn the systems and how to adjust to the speed of the game. He won't get that in the AHL.

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton

The bolded is why ive been disappointed with nuge, hes so talented but just way too simple. It kills me when you compare it to his first 2 seasons.

Poolparty needs to go down, he needs to be playing a ton of be "the guy". I feel like we're so bad with youngsters.

Last edited:

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
If anything the time spent in the AHL hurt our good young players. They didn't have to play a system down there, they developed bad habits and were able to dominate based on skill alone. They came back to the NHL and looked brutal trying to adjust back to a NHL style game.

:] has the skill to play in the NHL. He needs to learn the systems and how to adjust to the speed of the game. He won't get that in the AHL.

Adjusting to the speed of the game isn't his biggest issue for him, it's adjusting to the smaller rink and not having the time and space to showcase his skill like he did in Liiga. He's also having an issue adjusting to the physicality of NHL players as he's not strong enough right now to win puck battles on a consistent basis. I had a feeling that it would be a rough start for him just as it is for most European forwards coming overseas as teenagers. He doesn't have an elite weapon like Laine's shot to compensate for the raw aspects of his game.

Right now, he's better served playing big minutes in the AHL, a league that is more suited to his current level of play, where he can play big minutes in all situations and gain enough confidence so when he's ready to make the jump, he can more seamlessly jump into a top 6 role instead of playing 8-10 minutes a night and being pressboxed other nights.

To me, it's obvious that he's struggling with confidence at this level. He's playing very timid, not skating with confidence and he's playing a very perimeter game. He didn't earn his spot in preseason (got it based mainly on draft pedigree IMO) and he hasn't earned his keep thus far this season as guys like Slepy and Pitlick are clearly more polished than he is currently. There's nothing wrong with him going to the AHL for a while and getting used to the North American game at a level where he can play with more confidence. He's the type of player who needs to play big offensive minutes to be successful and he won't get that here because he's not ready to earn the coaches trust in anything but a limited role.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front

Generally I agree that this kind of over-seasoning is a bad thing for extremely talented players. Still, I wouldn't mind sending :] to AHL for at least 20-30 games just to get him adjusted to the rink and get his confidence. When he is dominating there it is time to move him to the big club without too much hesitation.

Oh, and snipes, your PM box is full.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Generally I agree that this kind of over-seasoning is a bad thing for extremely talented players. Still, I wouldn't mind sending :] to AHL for at least 20-30 games just to get him adjusted to the rink and get his confidence. When he is dominating there it is time to move him to the big club without too much hesitation.

Oh, and snipes, your PM box is full.

Cleared, send :)

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

I think there was a system, the problem was they didn't have to play it to be successful so they didn't bother learning it.

As for Puljujarvi, have to think the AHL is in his near future. Maybe they keep him around to be around for the Heritage Classic just to be apart of the event, but right now there are just so many fringe guys that really aren't looking like fringe players right now.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I feel for Pulju.
I DO think hes NHL ready, but he hasnt "figured it out yet" he seems disinterested in the few minutes he has played. Rewatched his liiga highlights hes a dominant player, plays like a bull. He just lacks the confidence at this level.

When I was younger playing soccer I made a very good U16 club, played with fantastic players, guys who I heard so much about from tournaments I felt very intimidated. I knew I was good enough and in practices I was great but when it got to games i would freeze up and be so nervous of making a mistake. I didnt want the other guys to think I was a bad player so I would always make the safe play. I only scored 4 goals as a CAM that year, when i consistently put up 25-30 goals since u12.

I feel Pulju is going through this. Hes some 18 year old from halfway across the world, not used to this ice and is in the best league in the world with the best player in the world on his team. Im sure he feels intimidated. Sending him down and having him reaffirm his confidence (not regain, he is a confident young man) would be great for him. Let him play vs. the Jets to show we think he is an important piece to our team, then send him Bako.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I would think that Puljujarvi will be sent down after the Heritage Classic, unless he's just goes off in that game.

Yeah, I would expect this will be the course of action for Puljujarvi.

Will be interesting to see what his progress will be like if/when he goes down to the AHL. It's not just a slower version of the NHL with poorer goaltending, there's more chaos with not as much structure. I wonder how he'll react.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yeah, I would expect this will be the course of action for Puljujarvi.

Will be interesting to see what his progress will be like if/when he goes down to the AHL. It's not just a slower version of the NHL with poorer goaltending, there's more chaos with not as much structure. I wonder how he'll react.

Indeed, I think it will be good, he can be more confident in using his physical tools.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I feel for Pulju.
I DO think hes NHL ready, but he hasnt "figured it out yet" he seems disinterested in the few minutes he has played. Rewatched his liiga highlights hes a dominant player, plays like a bull. He just lacks the confidence at this level.

I may be wrong, but I think that the threat of being sent down may affect his game. In FEL he was the youngest guy in the team and despite a terrific start (at just 16) he was sent to another team after just a few mistakes. Way too early if you ask me. Maybe he's got some flashbacks in his mind.

Then a year later he had a slightly disappointing start in the league and he started to play less offensively to play it safe so he won't make any bad mistakes. Then he got his confidence back and the whole spring was amazing, which is no less than you could expect from him knowing his junior background. MVP in U20, 1 ppg in FEL (including the playoffs), several important goals in the playoffs and a hat trick (and a post hit) in the U18 final. Confidence boost can do wonders especially with these youngsters.

Unlike Matthews and Laine Pulju must feel insecure about his place in the team and him getting less time on the ice doesn't make it any easier. I also think that after being left out from the national team he wants pretty desperately to earn his place in the team and continue in NHL as Aho and Laine are doing. Of course these are not the only factors as it is not that easy to adjust to NHL. I would love to see what happens if he was given PP time and he'd score a goal or two and get a confidence boost that way.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I may be wrong, but I think that the threat of being sent down may affect his game. In FEL he was the youngest guy in the team and despite a terrific start (at just 16) he was sent to another team after just a few mistakes. Way too early if you ask me. Maybe he's got some flashbacks in his mind.

Then a year later he had a slightly disappointing start in the league and he started to play less offensively to play it safe so he won't make any bad mistakes. Then he got his confidence back and the whole spring was amazing, which is no less than you could expect from him knowing his junior background. MVP in U20, 1 ppg in FEL (including the playoffs), several important goals in the playoffs and a hat trick (and a post hit) in the U18 final. Confidence boost can do wonders especially with these youngsters.

Unlike Matthews and Laine Pulju must feel insecure about his place in the team and him getting less time on the ice doesn't make it any easier. I also think that after being left out from the national team he wants pretty desperately to earn his place in the team and continue in NHL as Aho and Laine are doing. Of course these are not the only factors as it is not that easy to adjust to NHL. I would love to see what happens if he was given PP time and he'd score a goal or two and get a confidence boost that way.

Confidence is absolutely a huge issue with any young player, which is precisely why so many of us want to see him get into the AHL and find some success.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I knew Chychrun was gonna be good.

Crazy how deep the top end of that draft was. Still at least six kids remaining in the NHL from the 1st round. Chychrun looking like he is one of the better ones at this point, though that may change by years end. Two games is just two games.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Pulju has 32 and a half mins of NHL experience now. Could be getting 20 mins a night, top line, 1st PP unit, some PK, in the AHL to figure the NA game out and dominate.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
Confidence is absolutely a huge issue with any young player, which is precisely why so many of us want to see him get into the AHL and find some success.

Yes I see your point. But if they have decided to keep him up for at least a few games I can't help wondering why they couldn't give him a PROPER chance in PP. His shot is very similar to Laine's so I think they are leaving out the biggest asset that could help Pulju get a confidence boost and possibly earn his place in the team. I just think that in this case Pulju should have got more time on the ice (and especially PP) in the second game instead of the seven minutes or so he got. I think that was a golden chance to give him the confidence boost and with good luck a great tool for your PP. It just makes me wonder if McLellan really knows to appreciate Pulju's shot enough.

I hope AHL will be an as good choice as most people here think. I have to warn though, that two years ago the situation was somewhat similar here in Finland and in that case sending him down slowed down his progress at least temporarily. When he got back up he needed time to adjust to FEL and I'm sure it would've happened earlier if he would have been kept in the team in the first place. Having said all this, I do know that the team's interest comes first especially in NHL.

the pen is mightier

Apr 24, 2012
Edmonton
I'm sure he will get sent down after his 9 games, but I certainly don't fault them for not playing him against the Blues. Prior to the game, we expected that we would get rolled as usual, why put him in just to get shelled and his confidence hurt. For a kid learning the NA game, being able to see the systems unfold from above would be more valuable than him being in that specific game. IMHO.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I'm sure he will get sent down after his 9 games, but I certainly don't fault them for not playing him against the Blues. Prior to the game, we expected that we would get rolled as usual, why put him in just to get shelled and his confidence hurt. For a kid learning the NA game, being able to see the systems unfold from above would be more valuable than him being in that specific game. IMHO.

Remember when Eakins played Nurse in his first game against LA on the road? Good times :)

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Listening to McLellan's postgame comments again, at the end of it he got asked for Puljujarvi specifically.

IMO it definitely sounds like the current plan is to space out his 9 games over a period of time, and that he doesn't feel that it hurts him at all to be practicing with the team in between those games.

He also pointed out that he's 6 to 9 months younger than guys like Matthews and Tkachuk, so he considers them to be a year ahead in development.

Final comment was that if Pulju had scored in the 1st couple minutes of that Buffalo game (IIRC it was a nice shot after a great McDavid setup, could've easy gone in if not for a great save), he'd have 2 goals now and nobody would even be talking about the situation.

I initially thought he'd be going down after Sunday's game, now I'm not so sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad