Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Definitely not alone. He has a big frame, but he plays a perimeter game. He just needs to get acclimatised to North America - smaller ice, new language, 19 yrs old, etc. Once the Condor's start up, he would benefit playing big minutes on the farm, with PP minute exposure and less spotlight.

Completely agree.

I actually didnt realize that the Condors season hadnt started yet...hopefully thats the reason why JP is playing in the NHL.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I don't really understand what you're saying. It's been 3 games, he's been fine. I suspect he'll see more time going forward. If he struggles he'll be sent down.

They traded Yakupov because the organization made the decision to move the player along, not sure what's complicated with that.

Trading Yakupov for air was a mistake Jimmi. He can contribute on this team, and yesterday showed would have been a fine winger for McDavid while Eberle and RNH got their chemistry back.

[mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I think Pulju could handle playing the rest of the season with the big club, but I don't think he'll grow doing that.

22 minutes a night in the AHL and being relied upon will move his game along a lot faster than sitting on the 3rd/4th lines getting less than 10 minutes a night in the NHL. The only ones who haven't got that figured out yet are Oiler management (and JJ), who make that same mistake over and over.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I've been watching Jesse's development for several years quite closely. JP really does have an amazing potential, the extent of which some people may still not quite realize as he is still going through the adjusting period. After all, he lacked the tough World Cup games and as a good boy he's probably trying to avoid mistakes that could lead him straight to AHL. I believe that once he feels more settled and isn't as worried about possible mistakes he starts to shine more. Sorry if this sounds fanboyish, that is not what I want.

JP was barely 17 when he started at the FEL and the start was quite phenomenal. His ppg was about 0,5 and despite some clear rawness in his game he should've stayed in the team for longer, but the head coach felt it's better for him to develop in other teams. A year later he started the fall slow, worse than people had learned to expect from him. However, when things started to change he was suddenly the most energetic guy on the ice, making 1 ppg and scoring lots of important goals. Despite lacking many of the easiest semifinal games, where his teammates got most of their points, he still managed to keep that 1ppg average at the playoffs.

The reason I started to write here was not just to praise JP, but to talk about his future in NHL. It's interesting to see how different situation JP has in Edmonton compared to Laine in Winnipeg. It seems to me that even though Laine at least hasn't had any easier start in NHL, pretty much no-one is even considering sending him to AHL. Laine has also got to play a lot more.

Has Edmonton really a much wider roster or do people here believe in the developing role of AHL more? Or could it be that because of the lack of recent hype the expectations towards JP are much lower? Of course there is also the contract issues that have their effect and then there is your past with putting promising forwards to NHL maybe too soon.

I'm not trying to tell or guess what is best for your team. Neither am I saying which of the young talents is the best. However, I've seen Jesse learn to dominate in pretty much all the teams he's played at. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if he were one of your best forwards already in the spring, especially if he stays in NHL. However, I do realize that this is NHL and the adjusting may take some time for even the most promising players, especially the ones coming from other countries and larger rinks.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I've been watching Jesse's development for several years quite closely. JP really does have an amazing potential, the extent of which some people may still not quite realize as he is still going through the adjusting period. After all, he lacked the tough World Cup games and as a good boy he's probably trying to avoid mistakes that could lead him straight to AHL. I believe that once he feels more settled and isn't as worried about possible mistakes he starts to shine more. Sorry if this sounds fanboyish, that is not what I want.

JP was barely 17 when he started at the FEL and the start was quite phenomenal. His ppg was about 0,5 and despite some clear rawness in his game he should've stayed in the team for longer, but the head coach felt it's better for him to develop in other teams. A year later he started the fall slow, worse than people had learned to expect from him. However, when things started to change he was suddenly the most energetic guy on the ice, making 1 ppg and scoring lots of important goals. Despite lacking many of the easiest semifinal games, where his teammates got most of their points, he still managed to keep that 1ppg average at the playoffs.

The reason I started to write here was not just to praise JP, but to talk about his future in NHL. It's interesting to see how different situation JP has in Edmonton compared to Laine in Winnipeg. It seems to me that even though Laine at least hasn't had any easier start in NHL, pretty much no-one is even considering sending him to AHL. Laine has also got to play a lot more.

Has Edmonton really a much wider roster or do people here believe in the developing role of AHL more? Or could it be that because of the lack of recent hype the expectations towards JP are much lower? Of course there is also the contract issues that have their effect and then there is your past with putting promising forwards to NHL maybe too soon.

I'm not trying to tell or guess what is best for your team. Neither am I saying which of the young talents is the best. However, I've seen Jesse learn to dominate in pretty much all the teams he's played at. That's why I wouldn't be surprised if he were one of your best forwards already in the spring, especially if he stays in NHL. However, I do realize that this is NHL and the adjusting may take some time for even the most promising players, especially the ones coming from other countries and larger rinks.

He's been brutal and next to useless so far so he shouldn't be on our roster right now. He better be sent down sooner than later so that he can hopefully dominate the AHL. It's nice to say how well he's done at other levels but that doesn't mean he will have NHL success now or ever. If he wasn't just drafted 4th by us he probably wouldn't have made it this far with the team and would have been sent down already. Obviously it's early and a small amount of games to judge on but based on preseason and 3 games he just isn't ready.

He has talent no doubt but he's along way from converting that talent into NHL success. He was given the perfect opportunity to seize a top 6 RW role with Yakupov being traded and Versteeg going to Calgary but he has been outplayed by other players.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
He's been brutal and next to useless so far so he shouldn't be on our roster right now. He better be sent down sooner than later so that he can hopefully dominate the AHL. It's nice to say how well he's done at other levels but that doesn't mean he will have NHL success now or ever. If he wasn't just drafted 4th by us he probably wouldn't have made it this far with the team and would have been sent down already. Obviously it's early and a small amount of games to judge on but based on preseason and 3 games he just isn't ready.

He has talent no doubt but he's along way from converting that talent into NHL success. He was given the perfect opportunity to seize a top 6 RW role with Yakupov being traded and Versteeg going to Calgary but he has been outplayed by other players.

Yes of course you never know how it's gonna go in NHL. It's a different game and completely different level. But I personally am optimistic about Pulju as I think he has qualities, even if they need working, that do suit NHL well.

I don't know if what you said is a consensus here, but I hadn't realized he had been that bad. At least a couple of days ago it seemed to me he was doing at least reasonably okay, although not shining. It's a shame I've had to start working early so I haven't really managed to watch any of those games myself. Anyway, whether JP makes it to the team or not doesn't really change my life. Of course it'd be ideal if he takes the spot at your team but if not so then it'll be AHL. I'm happy he got a chance anyway. I do wish Oilers success anyway, so of course it'll be nice if JP can be a part of that some day in the future.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yes of course you never know how it's gonna go in NHL. It's a different game and completely different level. But I personally am optimistic about Pulju as I think he has qualities, even if they need working, that do suit NHL well.

I don't know if what you said is a consensus here, but I hadn't realized he had been that bad. At least a couple of days ago it seemed he was doing quite okay, although not shining. Anyway, whether JP makes it to the team or not doesn't really change my life. Of course it'd be ideal if he takes the spot at your team but if not so then it'll be AHL. I'm happy he got a chance anyway.

Pulju has many qualities that should make him a very good NHL player down the road. He's 6'4, he's an elite skater, excellent passer, plays with full effort, and he's got a deadly shot. I wish he would have got more of a chance on our PP from the left side and got to work that one timer.

I don't think he's been "brutal", but he's looked like an 18 year old rookie adapting to a new life and the NHL. He's scratched tonight and he's gotten very limited minutes the last two games. Looks like the AHL is on the horizon, and there is nothing wrong with that. About time we were patient and developed our prospects properly.

It was good for him to get a taste of the NHL, he might be back up at some point. But, heavy minutes in the AHL is better for him at this point. He's in a good spot, he's not expected to come in here and play big minutes or have lots of pressure on him. If the AHL is better for his development, so be it.

GameChanger

Jun 29, 2016
I wish he would have got more of a chance on our PP from the left side and got to work that one timer.

Even though NHL is in its own league there has been some great players in FEL, naturally especially during the lockout seasons. It's very rare to see a shot like Pulju's or Laine's here. The left side on the PP was Pulju's special here and it really opened up the PP when the opponents realized that they just can't afford giving him any extra time or space. The thing that would help in that is a player or two who can get the puck to him at the right moment. Finland has provided many good goalies to NHL and there's a good reason to believe the best goalies in FEL can be pretty good in international level as well. I think both Puljujarvi and Laine had a shot that even the best goalies in the league couldn't do much about when they got it right.

Jesse is also good at making play and kind of being another playmaking center in PP, but it may take some time until he learns the NHL game enough and gets more confidence to utilize that.

Last edited:

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

I don't know if what you said is a consensus here, but I hadn't realized he had been that bad. At least a couple of days ago it seemed to me he was doing at least reasonably okay, although not shining. It's a shame I've had to start working early so I haven't really managed to watch any of those games myself. Anyway, whether JP makes it to the team or not doesn't really change my life. Of course it'd be ideal if he takes the spot at your team but if not so then it'll be AHL. I'm happy he got a chance anyway. I do wish Oilers success anyway, so of course it'll be nice if JP can be a part of that some day in the future.

He has all the tools to be a top 6 player in the NHL. Size, speed, strong vision, a very underrated shot etc just hope he can put it all together at this level, I have faith he can.

He definitely needs to be sent down as he isn't ready as it will be best for his development imo to play big minutes in the AHL instead of wasting away playing 4th line minutes here. He hasn't really done any shining for us yet imo other than putting up good stats at the pentiction rookie tournament.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I don't really understand what you're saying. It's been 3 games, he's been fine. I suspect he'll see more time going forward. If he struggles he'll be sent down.

They traded Yakupov because the organization made the decision to move the player along, not sure what's complicated with that.

Yeah I'm really not seeing all this horrible play by Puli that everyone seems to be seeing. I can't actually pinpoint one single poor play that's he has made. He's forced some turnovers on the fore check and been responsible in his own zone.

Is this just a bunch of pissed off Yak and Hall fans looking for something or someone to direct their anger at? It's been 3 games...3 games.

The Batman

Registered Superhero
Sep 30, 2014
Batcave
He seems to know where he needs to be on the ice and his positioning is pretty good. I like how he puts his head down and skates hard whenever his line loses the puck. I really wish we utilize his shot more on the PP.

One thing I noticed is that he's definitely not used to NHL speed and size yet as he loses the puck battles more than half the time. He needs to work on puck control and retrieval and to use his size to shield the puck. Basically get Draisaitl to mentor him. It's only a few games of course so I don't expect him to figure it out until at least the 20-30 games mark. I wonder if he will play more than 9 though.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
He's going through the same Slepyshev had last year, it's a big step going from Europe to the NHL. However he reminds me more of Draisaitl in his rookie your. You see the size, speed, and skill, but the mind is a bit behind.

He needs to play some big minutes though to adjust. Draisiatl got those in Kelowna on a team that went to the Memorial Cup, let Pulju get those minutes in Bakersfield.

Hemsky4PM

Jun 25, 2003
Billeting Ales
Visit site
He'll be demoted tomorrow is my guess. Really needs to play and be ready to step into a top 6 spot if a regular gets injured down the line. But, who gets called up to be a spare here? Ryan Hamilton? Want JJ playing a lot on the top line down there this year.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
He'll be demoted tomorrow is my guess. Really needs to play and be ready to step into a top 6 spot if a regular gets injured down the line. But, who gets called up to be a spare here? Ryan Hamilton? Want JJ playing a lot on the top line down there this year.

Yeah, based on what the coach said...they were waiting for the AHL season to start.

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
I've watched Patrik Laine play for Winnipeg three times now, and he hasn't been any better than Puljujärvi. It just goes to show that it's a tough adjustment. I think we should stick with him and endure some growing pains.

RuneMcEres

Seasons in the Abyss
Oct 24, 2006
Bergen, Norway
I've watched Patrik Laine play for Winnipeg three times now, and he hasn't been any better than Puljujärvi. It just goes to show that it's a tough adjustment. I think we should stick with him and endure some growing pains.
That was before the third period tonight. It just had to happen. :laugh:

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Trading Yakupov for air was a mistake Jimmi. He can contribute on this team, and yesterday showed would have been a fine winger for McDavid while Eberle and RNH got their chemistry back.

[mod]

We have enough depth at RW... Yakupov isn't needed :sarcasm:

Bangers

May 31, 2006
But, but.. Pulju was going to step right in and dominate cuz he's the bestest Oilers' draft pick the team has ever seen ... He's completely ready and will dominate against the best players on the planet, even though he's only 18, doesn't speak English, will be fitting into a foreign culture and adapting to a different rink size/game...

It's a complete surprise he's struggled so far.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
He isn't really an elite skater though, right?

He wouldn't do too well in a foot-race with the likes of Helm, Grabner, Karlsson, Cogliano or McDavid?

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
But, but.. Pulju was going to step right in and dominate cuz he's the bestest Oilers' draft pick the team has ever seen ... He's completely ready and will dominate against the best players on the planet, even though he's only 18, doesn't speak English, will be fitting into a foreign culture and adapting to a different rink size/game...

It's a complete surprise he's struggled so far.

Uh...

Is there a reason you're beating that poor strawman to bits with this post?

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
My post pushed him over the edge. It's the only plausible explanation. Anyway, that shot is something else.

You weren't wrong, though. Up until that 3rd period Laine really wasn't all that different from Puljujarvi by my eye. He looked like he was trying to find his way too, and wasn't setting the world on fire in any respect.

The difference? One of them was getting force fed 18-19 minutes per night and getting tons of offensive looks with his team's best players, while the other was getting 10-11 minutes per night and being put in the periphery of his coach's game plan.

Shows what can happen when put your faith in your youth sometimes. Would Laine's long term development had been better served if Winnipeg had sent him down to the minors for a couple months so he could dominate and get used to North American ice?

Guess we'll never know now, after that hat trick he won't be seeing the AHL any time soon. Makes you wonder if Puljujarvi would've been handled the same if he'd been a Winnipeg Jet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad