Player Discussion Jesse Puljujärvi 4th Overall 2016 Draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016
Anything out there on what his plans are for next year?

I know he signed to a three-year contract with Kärpät which expires this upcoming season. So far though I haven't seen anything or even real speculation yet.

We would all love to know a bit of information on if he's playing here this season or next.

If the Oilers sign a deal with him soon and he goes back to Finland that means his contract will slide right?

It's almost the middle of July, Oilers fans need to know these things to get us through these slow times of summer. :cry:

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Anything out there on what his plans are for next year?

I know he signed to a three-year contract with Kärpät which expires this upcoming season. So far though I haven't seen anything or even real speculation yet.

We would all love to know a bit of information on if he's playing here this season or next.

If the Oilers sign a deal with him soon and he goes back to Finland that means his contract will slide right?

It's almost the middle of July, Oilers fans need to know these things to get us through these slow times of summer. :cry:

I am sure he will sign the ELC soon. He has publicly stated he intends to play in the NHL next season and I am sure Chia will give him the every opportunity to make it happen. His contract with Kärpät isn't gonna be an issue, with the transfer agreement in place he can play in the NHL/AHL and Kärpät can do nothing to stop him.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I noticed he was wearing #13 at the World Juniors in 2015.. wouldn't be a bad number for him here.

Kyyrii

May 30, 2016
I noticed he was wearing #13 at the World Juniors in 2015.. wouldn't be a bad number for him here.

He has also wore 21 in some tournees. And 98 when he was little. I don't know about Jesse, but #13 may have some bad karma to him, given that in World Juniors he couldn't net anywhere :rant: . #71 could be nice too, Kurri reflection and all. :nod: Or then he just rolls the dice and decides that way.

What on earth was that?

Well, that was part of the team spirit campaign they did before 2016 WJC. Some guys went to rock consert, some were discarded to the forest and one group was send to theatre to learn some improvisation. That is Jesse's attempt to get angry... He just smiles all the time and failes miserably. :laugh:

Also nice to hear, that apparently we can wait some ELC news somewhere before August. Maybe the bonus structure is the thing that is holding things down a bit. Or maybe they wanted to give him some rest before he signs and media is all over him... once again.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He should really play with McDavid, they are a perfect fit.

He probably will in time, but I could also see him split up from McDavid as well. In my mind he can be a driver like Hall, but he's more versatile and can also defer to other players. His one-timer certainly is enticing though with McDavid, especially on the power play.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North

Seriously reminds me of the Joker LOL! Can't get the angry look but maybe he can put a smile on their faces when he face-plants them to the glass :laugh:

latest

RCsM73H1NUuGdYMrH_yZD3TPnhQIaxJvpzBr8skpAca4U6A_4i2t2Njl9jy1YLeh02NiFimiVHssNjit8xRb5Wnp4VzHw0W3NY1xBeGIEg7cqBeKSzoo4Ir9S70JbzoCqEoOqCmNeJxy3vaY1KmES0re=w506-h337

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Enough said :)

I like his Liiga and U18 highlights even more tbh. You get a good look at his one-timer in the Liiga highlights and the U18 he shows his incredible playmaking and ability to run a power play. He was an absolute beast at last years U20's as well as a 16 year old despite going pointless. Never seen a player get so many chances and posts without recording a single point.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
How many Oilers on the current roster like to shoot off the rush? Seems they all look for the extra pass.. I think this guy brings that element, this team needs more 'shoot first'.

maybe with a full season of Klefbom plus Larsson here, we can get some better passes from the defense to support a rush. But for sure, Puljujarvi's speed and size will help a lot in this aspect of the game

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
I like his Liiga and U18 highlights even more tbh. You get a good look at his one-timer in the Liiga highlights and the U18 he shows his incredible playmaking and ability to run a power play. He was an absolute beast at last years U20's as well as a 16 year old despite going pointless. Never seen a player get so many chances and posts without recording a single point.

I agree. As crazy as it sounds I don't think Puljujärvi fit his U20 line that well. He was kinda like the do-it-everything player of the line which was uncharacteristic for him. He is a playmaker/goal scorer hybrid, not some "jack of all trades but master of none" kinda player, and putting him alongside a premier playmaker and goal scorer disabled him of using his strengths.

It all worked out great in the end obviously but without the benefit of hindsight I would've liked to see him play on a line with a player like Rantanen who can make plays and open up space for his linemates and is able to finish as well.

And what was up with putting all the eggs in the same basket and having him on the 1PP unit with Laine? Two right hand shots who play exactly the same game on man advantage. Kapanen was our trigger man in the 2nd unit and didn't do nearly the same damage as Laine in the other unit. That would have been the perfect spot for Puljujärvi and I believe it would have worked for the benefit of the team as well.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

I like his u20 highlights a lot for almost the exact reasons you don't tbh. As others have said, he really wasn't the greatest fit on that line, but he was still able to put together an absolute monster of a performance. It highlights how adaptable and versatile a player he is.

Titsuple

Jun 23, 2009
edmonton
obviously I have not seen a lot of his games outside the WJC but from that and the highlight videos I think he would be a good fit with Draisiatl. He reminds me a lot of McDavid when he skates the puck up the ice. Draisaitl could use a winger who loves to carry the puck like Taylor Hall. Cant wait to see this kid play live. Still cant believe we got him!

Pouliot - Draisaitl - Puljujärvi

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
obviously I have not seen a lot of his games outside the WJC but from that and the highlight videos I think he would be a good fit with Draisiatl. He reminds me a lot of McDavid when he skates the puck up the ice. Draisaitl could use a winger who loves to carry the puck like Taylor Hall. Cant wait to see this kid play live. Still cant believe we got him!

Pouliot - Draisaitl - Puljujärvi

The Drai Pou Pu line, Gene Principe will have a field day.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
I'm predicting he's challenging for the Calder. The kids the real deal, he's exactly what we needed out of that draft. I'm so pumped about him. I almost drove off the road when I heard we won CMD but literally jumped out of my chair when CBJ passed on him. Betting he's the steal of the draft. Was a monster in the WJR.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I'm predicting he's challenging for the Calder. The kids the real deal, he's exactly what we needed out of that draft. I'm so pumped about him. I almost drove off the road when I heard we won CMD but literally jumped out of my chair when CBJ passed on him. Betting he's the steal of the draft. Was a monster in the WJR.

Glad to hear my roommate and I weren't the only ones with that reaction :laugh::laugh::laugh:

kelsier

Aug 17, 2013
Then I bet you guys have Kekäläinen atleast the second favourite GM in the league. I sure as he** do eventhough he's a disgrace to the country (no matter doing us a big favour), especially after Pulju lits the torch up in the NHL. His era cannot last long in the Columbus. Just no way. Normally you would be pissed about your guy not being called up first as you think he's the BPA and in this case third, but in both cases I instead sighed out of relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad