Jersey Patch coming

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
"Woven into the chest and hearts of our players, this message is a reminder of who we are and the legacy we've built."

I can't believe people try to sell this shit to us with a straight face.
"We understand your concern. There's no silver bullet to today's ever changing landscape. As a company we're constantly striving for blue sky thinking and we have several balls in the air. We think over time fans will appreciate the paradigm shift and see this as a positive game changer. We hope everyone understands that we're all stronger together."

I recently passed on a promotion where I would have to talk like that for ~40% of my work week... 🤮

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
So does this change the narrative from "Chris is cheap" to "Chris is greedy"?

If anything ad revenue gives him motivation to make this the best team possible, and he'll spend to the max cap. I don't like it, but I'm not gonna cry about it either. It was inevitable.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
A garbage truck outfit.

Shirt sleeves to shirt sleeves in three generations.

Seriously, you take the greatest logo in sport and toss a garbage company logo on it.... eerrr waste management. How much more money did they offer than whoever was #2?!?!? Do the Illitch's really need that delta?!?!

Last edited:
Reactions: raymond23

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

If anything ad revenue gives him motivation to make this the best team possible, and he'll spend to the max cap. I don't like it, but I'm not gonna cry about it either. It was inevitable.
Whether or not the team has patches on the jersey has no bearing on if Chris Ilitch can afford to spend to the cap or not.

This is just about making additional money.

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015
I'm honestly more disppointed that we got a noname company to sponsor us than the fact the we got a patch.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Whether or not the team has patches on the jersey has no bearing on if Chris Ilitch can afford to spend to the cap or not.

This is just about making additional money.

It's kinda funny how you say that with such an authoritative tone when there were a lot of people here who doubted Chris would spend to the cap, and I was the ONLY person here defending him. Where were you the past 5 years?

I'm guessing it's not a coincidence that they waited until the Wings were at least halfway decent before announcing that a trash company is putting an ad on the jersey.
LOL, that's funny because it's probably true.

They could still put a dumpster fire patch on Holl and Copp.

Reactions: heyfolks

Geezer WC

Standing room
Jan 29, 2022
lol blame Bettman and the NHL for this not Chris… it was always coming at some point here

Also his dad if still around, would do same thing

You don't know that. The late Mr. I could have made millions selling off the naming rights to JLA and yet he didn't.

MabusIncarnate

May 20, 2013
Tennessee
Kind of figured it was inevitable, glad it's just white and nothing that sticks out more. A few teams have patches that clash with the jersey much worse than this.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC

I’m confused why you see being cheap and being greedy as mutually exclusive.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It's kinda funny how you say that with such an authoritative tone when there were a lot of people here who doubted Chris would spend to the cap, and I was the ONLY person here defending him. Where were you the past 5 years?
I'm responding to the second part of your post, and I thought that was clear based on context.

I read your post to argue that jersey patch would have a positive impact on the quality of the Red Wings team, so if I misread your position I apologize.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I’m confused why you see being cheap and being greedy as mutually exclusive.

It is not, but sometimes it takes money to make money. Certainly in the NHL, the salary floor teams in the past have not been very profitable, and the ones that spent the most were also the most profitable before the salary cap.

You can say what you want about the market, but the Red WIngs were at the top pre-cap, and they were near the bottom just a few years ago so it's not all about being a big market team.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Right, they are generally prerequisites to maintaining billionaire status to begin with.

Take as much as others are willing to give you, give to others as little as you have to

Not really if you look at tech companies. FB, Google, etc were always big spenders. Zuckerberg isn't rich because he's cheap. Maybe if you're talking about companies that rely on blue collar workers, there might be a little more truth to it. Walton and Buffett were known to be frugal. It's an overstatement to say it's a prerequisite.

Chris does run a company based on blue collar workers though....

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Not really if you look at tech companies. FB, Google, etc were always big spenders. Zuckerberg isn't rich because he's cheap. Maybe if you're talking about companies that rely on blue collar workers, there might be a little more truth to it. Walton and Buffett were known to be frugal. It's an overstatement to say it's a prerequisite.

Chris does run a company based on blue collar workers though....
Because the current system rewards "losing money" when it's all just a shell game and the money goes to the people at the top while the "company" spends.

Sid Abel went to war and this is what we're doing to his Red Wings?
I understand. But on the other hand it coulda been this...

Pittsburgh-Penguins-Highmark-Jersey-Ad-Patch-2022-featured-sportslogosnet.jpg

or this...

Download (1).jpg

Holy f***, those are vomit-inducing.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Because the current system rewards "losing money" when it's all just a shell game and the money goes to the people at the top while the "company" spends.

LOL, I agree that there's no profit expectations out of growth companies, but that's not true at all for established companies like META (Facebook) or GOOGL. Regardless, all of those tech companies spend money on frivolous crap to attract talent, being "cheap" doesn't work in Silicon Valley or Seattle.

Getting back to the subject at hand, Chris' background is managing a blue collar company, so his mentality is different, but he's shown that he's not gonna manage the Red Wings the same way he manages Little Caesar's or even the Tigers. That's what I've been saying for years, and now that the team is doing well and he's spending money, it doesn't bother me that much if he wants to throw a garbage patch on the jersey. I would feel different if he was the first team to do it, but there's already precedence so we all knew it was coming anyways when the league approved it 2 years ago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad