Confirmed with Link: Jared Boll signs with Anaheim

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
If he is a 13th forward, i can stomach it, otherwise I wish we had kept maroon for the 4th line. :shakehead

What do we save between Bolland Maroon after the retention? like 350k?

The only other reason i can see for such a move is that they wanted Maroon out of the lockeroom for fitness stuff and Bolland has the exact different attitude.

We'll see though.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
If he is a 13th forward, i can stomach it, otherwise I wish we had kept maroon for the 4th line. :shakehead

What do we save between Bolland Maroon after the retention? like 350k?

The only other reason i can see for such a move is that they wanted Maroon out of the lockeroom for fitness stuff and Bolland has the exact different attitude.

We'll see though.

Bolland?

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
I don't think the problem is small hiccups, so much as the fact they keep happening. He's also been prone to wasting assets, both rostered and prospect.

Agreed. I'm just sick of things like this being chalked up to "it's not much".

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
Would any of our potential rookie forwards this season be eligible for expansion if they play 40 games? If not, we currently have 7 forwards under contract through the next season, not including Rakell who has obviously yet to sign. Expansion rules say we must have at least 2 forwards exposed who have played more than 70 games or 40 in the next season. Assuming Rakell signs, and we protect 7 forwards, that means Boll is exposed and helps us meet expansion rules. I think that's the reason behind the 2-year deal more than anything.

Good point. This was my next thought after reacting to the news of a two year deal. It makes perfect sense when viewed in light of the coming expansion. But man, I'm sure Murray could have found somebody better than friggin Boll to be our exp. draft fodder.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Patrick Maroon - 2M :
220GP 34G 59A 93P -2 283PIM

Jared Boll - 900K + 500K (Maroon retention) = 1.4M:
518GP 27G 35A 62P -47 1195 PIM

Last edited:

xxreact9

Jun 4, 2012
Signing several cheap 4th liners and several AHL defenders leads me to believe BM is going to add a high salary FWD, Theodore is a lock to the NHL and Montour will be given his shot at some point later in the year.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Then Maroon would be $2 million, not $1.5.

Fair enough.

It's still pretty horrible.

Edit - Maroom has 63 points in the last two years. That's one more than Boll's entire career. Better be one HELL of a 600K player. Maybe BM plays in a fantasy league where PIM's are worth a ridiculous amount of points?

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Fair enough.

It's still pretty horrible.

I think it's more dishonest to equate the two. You said someone else asked, so that isn't directed at you, but Maroon's retention has nothing to do with this signing. It was here yesterday when Boll was a free agent, and if Boll unexpectedly retires tomorrow it'll be there as well. They have nothing to do with one another.

Someone always has to take a roster spot, so no matter what it wasn't going to be huge savings. But that's for a different topic entirely.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
One has nothing to do with the other. Maroon is being replaced most likely by Ritchie. He is not an enforcer
Apples to oranges

Maroon has lead all Ducks players in fights each of the last three years (8, 8, 13). Ritchie is not being brought here to do that. For perspective, Boll has had 6, 15, and 8 - 29 fights, exactly the same as Maroon. Granted, in about 60 fewer games, but it goes to show that Columbus didn't feel the need to have him fighting one bit more than Maroon was needed to fight here, and Maroon can actually play hockey. This is a horrible downgrade. And don't accuse me of liking soft hockey, you know that isn't accurate.

(Yes I'm aware one of his fights last year was in Edmonton. His 8 fights is still more than any Duck).

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
So much for Penguin speed.

Not a fan of signing. The league has changed. It'll just result in more PK.

But if he is limited to 5 games, 2 at Staples and 3 at HC, it may almost be worth it.

John

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I think it's more dishonest to equate the two. You said someone else asked, so that isn't directed at you, but Maroon's retention has nothing to do with this signing. It was here yesterday when Boll was a free agent, and if Boll unexpectedly retires tomorrow it'll be there as well. They have nothing to do with one another.

Someone always has to take a roster spot, so no matter what it wasn't going to be huge savings. But that's for a different topic entirely.

If BM is going to say every penny matters, then fritter away 1.4K on a retention and a player who may play in only 30 games, he better be planning one major pickup with that last 600K. Otherwise, Maroon was the better idea. Even last year's Maroon, because that guy was still a better use of that 2M than Boll and a 600K player.

It's not Boll. It's being penny wise and pound foolish.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I don't know that it's fair to make this comparison with Maroon and Boll. Maroon's departure happened under Boudreau, and while I'd rather have Maroon right now, Boll's entry to the team is under the input of a different coach. I don't think Murray sat down and said to himself that he needed to ship off Maroon so that he could sign someone like Boll in the summer.

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
I don't know that it's fair to make this comparison with Maroon and Boll. Maroon's departure happened under Boudreau, and while I'd rather have Maroon right now, Boll's entry to the team is under the input of a different coach. I don't think Murray sat down and said to himself that he needed to ship off Maroon so that he could sign someone like Boll in the summer.

But if Boll is a result of the input of the new coach, then I think that there is no 'new' Carlyle, just the same old Randy with the same old systems.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma

This is true.

However this is exactly why trading him for garbage was a mistake. There's value to 4th liners who can fight, and play in the top 6, regardless of who is the coach. Imo, he should have known that. I wouldn't feel this way if he was dealt for even a decent return. However, he was dealt for a negative return which makes it even worse.

You're right though; it's not a fair comparison.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
This is true.

However this is exactly why trading him for garbage was a mistake. There's value to 4th liners who can fight, and play in the top 6, regardless of who is the coach. Imo, he should have known that. I wouldn't feel this way if he was dealt for even a decent return. However, he was dealt for a negative return which makes it even worse.

You're right though; it's not a fair comparison.

Garbage? Negative return? What are you talking about?

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
But if Boll is a result of the input of the new coach, then I think that there is no 'new' Carlyle, just the same old Randy with the same old systems.

I'm not disputing that, though I'll personally wait and see how things shake out on the ice. Some of the problems during Carlyle's last stint in Toronto were the result of available personnel. He also gave some players ice time that didn't deserve it, but it's entirely possible that with a different roster he won't repeat those mistakes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad