Confirmed with Link: Jared Boll signs with Anaheim

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Huh I kind of liked Boll a few years ago, yet judging on the reaction here it seems like I've missed a regression.

I prefer Boll to Mason, for example.

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
He hasn't scored multiple goals in a season for the past three seasons and having an "enforcing" line that is only good for that and nothing else isn't much good in today's NHL anyway

Tecumseh

Scorched Earth
Oct 20, 2012
Southbridge, MA
It's certainly not going to do any scoring now, is it? Boll is a waste of space that drags down any line he's on and I have no doubt he'll do the same to them

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
To be fair, Boll never got free points playing the third wheel on a line with Getzlaf and Perry. Still a terrible deal though.

What about all the points he put up next to MP22 and Selanne? Or Bonino and Palmieri. Maroon outside of the first half of last season was very good here.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
This isn't a surprise with RC as coach. Going to have to upgrade the 3rd line pretty significantly to make up for the 4th line.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Garbutt and Wagner are now considered enforcers?

I know you're pro toughness and I agree that bigger, tougher hockey is better hockey but the game has changed, fighting and hitting is being phased out.

What good is an enforcer that can't handle any ice time, can't catch anybody to hit them and has hardly anybody else to fight? Boll is a terrible hockey player. Unless he only plays 15-20 games this is a bad move. At least when we had Jackman he could handle a regular shift and provide energy and help with puck possession. Boll can't do any of that.

mytduxfan*

I know you're pro toughness and I agree that bigger, tougher hockey is better hockey but the game has changed, fighting and hitting is being phased out.

What good is an enforcer that can't handle any ice time, can't catch anybody to hit them and has hardly anybody else to fight? Boll is a terrible hockey player. Unless he only plays 15-20 games this is a bad move. At least when we had Jackman he could handle a regular shift and provide energy and help with puck possession. Boll can't do any of that.

Concussions for everyone!!!

Seriously though, the growing awareness of concussion-induced depression is leading to exactly what you're suggesting. We're in the midst of a transition from tough, physical hockey to a higher skilled, faster-paced game. If we're not careful, the Ducks could get left behind. I don't mind BM picking up tougher characters now. Our core is the definition of tough hockey. However, the drafting of these prospects who rely on their size and strength probably isn't the way to go moving forward. Hopefully guys like Steele and Nattinen turn out well for us.

PuqTalk

I love Cogliano
Jun 24, 2012
Texas
I don't get why everyone is so afraid that physicality is going to disappear from hockey, that's not going to happen. That's part of the game.

******** staged fights between heavyweights who waste a roster spot for three minutes a night aren't.

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I don't get why everyone is so afraid that physicality is going to disappear from hockey, that's not going to happen. That's part of the game.

******** staged fights between heavyweights who waste a roster spot for three minutes a night aren't.

I agree. Unfortunately Boll brings much of the latter than the former. Okay, maybe not so much "staged" these days.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
So far this is the only signing I really don't understand. Boll is a useless pugilist with little to no hockey-related talent, this contract is basically Staubitz 2.0. It's as if Bob never learns from his previous screw-ups... :facepalm:

GreatBear

Feb 18, 2009
Newport Beach
At least if he doesn't work out for the Ducks they can send him to San Diego and not have any of his salary count against the cap. That may not be desirable, but it is better than nothing.

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Garbutt and Wagner are now considered enforcers?

No they aren't, but they are physical players, which is what we need. If Boll can't hit, he's useless. If he's a liability on the ice, and takes dumb penalties, then he does nothing but bring the team down.

I understand that you are infatuated with fighting and value it more over physical play, but fighting in hockey is dying. There is a time and a place for it, but there's no room for an enforcer that can't play hockey.

The bold is the problem. That's what Boll is for, and you're right, it's a waste of a roster space. On top of that, it makes us use the 4th line for 5 minutes a game, which is bad for our other lines.

alcolol

Aug 12, 2014
Dallas
Two forwards who are a) under contract in 2017-18 and b) played in 40 or more NHL games the prior season OR played in 70 or more NHL games in the prior two seasons.

Per the rules for next year's expansion draft, each team must expose two forwards. A cursory look at the Ducks' roster shows that these forwards are signed for at least two more years: Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Silfverberg, Cogliano, Wagner, Boll, and Rakell (who in all likelihood will receive a contract extension longer than two years). Signing Boll for two years is significant because it guarantees that GMBM will be able to expose Wagner and Boll in an expansion draft (Wagner and Boll, respectively, need to play 27 and 40 NHL games this season to be eligible for exposure), leaving Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Silfverberg, Cogliano, Rakell, and one additional forward to be protected.

This contract represents little more than Carlyle getting his enforcer and GMBM getting his expansion draft fodder.

Opak

Nov 28, 2014
Per the rules for next year's expansion draft, each team must expose two forwards. A cursory look at the Ducks' roster shows that these forwards are signed for at least two more years: Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Silfverberg, Cogliano, Wagner, Boll, and Rakell (who in all likelihood will receive a contract extension longer than two years). Signing Boll for two years is significant because it guarantees that GMBM will be able to expose Wagner and Boll in an expansion draft (Wagner and Boll, respectively, need to play 27 and 40 NHL games this season to be eligible for exposure), leaving Getzlaf, Perry, Kesler, Silfverberg, Cogliano, Rakell, and one additional forward to be protected.

This contract represents little more than Carlyle getting his enforcer and GMBM getting his expansion draft fodder.

This does make sense. It also means that we're pretty much guaranteed to lose a defenseman in the expansion draft, as I can't see LV choosing either of these guys.

70sSanO

Apr 21, 2015
Mission Viejo, CA
Is anyone concerned that our league leading penalty minutes are just going to get worse?

We already get so many cheap calls against us and now we will be short handed even more. I just don't understand this signing.

John

Duck Off

HF needs an App
Oct 25, 2002
Oklahoma
Is anyone concerned that our league leading penalty minutes are just going to get worse?

We already get so many cheap calls against us and now we will be short handed even more. I just don't understand this signing.

John

I think adding Boll is fine. What's not fine is the price. If this was league minimum, I don't mind. Even the 2 year thing doesn't bother me. One thing Boll is, is mean. That's a good quality in an enforcer. I don't want him in the lineup more often than not, but considering how well he was liked in the locker room, it's not a bad thing. There is a time to have an enforcer on the ice. I sure as **** would have wanted one on the ice against Colorado every game. They were dirty as ****. Boll will retaliate, and I do believe there is a time and place to do that.

That said, my issue is the $$$. Yes, it's not much more, but when you consider two tings: 1. We just traded Maroon (and ****ing retained). 2. We just admitted to not being able to afford a good top 6 winger at 3.7 million. Yet, we can pay this guy 900k? That's what pisses me off.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I'm ready to call Murray's head if this team fails in the post season again or fails to make the playoffs.

But for God's sake people it's July 6th. Camp doesn't even start till septmeber.

I'm not a huge fan of 4 min plug enforcer either but I can see the need for one as 13th forward or maybe he has a better personality in the lockeroom.

Let's just wait and see a bit, no?

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

The bolded is the key. He played 30 games last year for the Jackets. Considering how little enforcers are needed these days we are going to have to waste a dressed player spot an awful lot of games just to satisfy this condition.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
Just realised that this is for 2 years, seriously? :laugh:

Guenin, Boll, Schultz, Raymond.

BM is an idiot, plain and simple.
3 of those 4 contracts are two way so are likely planned for San Diego so it's probably not fair to call him an idiot based on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad