Prospect Info: Jan Mysak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think he will need all 3 years at the AHL level and then we will have a good idea what he is.

I like him, but he is one out of a big number of prospects with intriguing skillet and deficiencies that lower the potential impact. It is very much up in the air which ones end up making an impact or being traded/let go.

I have much more faith in Owen Beck, a more complete player, but that is no slight against Mysak.
A very determined player that unfortunately has limited upside. He will need time.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
WJC hype aside, kid is a gamer. His NHL ceiling is higher than many around here appreciate. As long as he stays relatively healthy, he's looking like the type of player who will slowly build himself into a very solid top 6 caliber NHLer. Plekanec trajectory is a great comparable.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
WJC hype aside, kid is a gamer. His NHL ceiling is higher than many around here appreciate. As long as he stays relatively healthy, he's looking like the type of player who will slowly build himself into a very solid top 6 caliber NHLer. Plekanec trajectory is a great comparable.

Plekanec was our number one center and was good for 50-60 pts per year.

Mysak doesn't seem to have top 6 potential at all.
He barely put up a 1 ppg in his 19 years old season.

I dont see Plekanec trajectory at all.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas

Pleks was a great find in the 3rd round. A rare feat to find a 1000 game center 71st overall.
I am not sure Mysak has the skill or skating Tomas Plekanec had.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

Yup. And back in the early 2000's, many didn't see that trajectory for pleks either.

Matter of what one is looking at...

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013

Overhyping prospect is something strong here. Like you said. A 19 yo only ppg in the OHL doesnt expect as top 6 center. There is a tons of comparative. And there is some rarely case, when they make it. Mysak made 64 pts in 61 games. To be considered as a top 6 forward, his numbers would needs to be around 85/90 pts on 61 games

Reactions: Tyson

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Yup. And back in the early 2000's, many didn't see that trajectory for pleks either.

Matter of what one is looking at...

Different league

Plekanec was putting around 0.5 ppg with men in Czech.
Good for 2nd in the league for U20.

Mysak is in the CHL and we have a lot of data suggesting that he won't be a top 6 player base on his stats. (+ his skilllset is average at best).

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
i like the kid but i dont see it,he should be a good bottom 6 player tho

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Different league

Mysak is in the CHL and we have a lot of data suggesting that he won't be a top 6 player base on his stats. (+ his skilllset is average at best).

Mysaks season was littered with injuries and then took a defensive role when they acquired mactavish.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Different league

Strengths:
Excellent offensive instincts and stickhandling. Very good skater with
decent speed. Is creatitive with the puck, and can play somewhat
physical. Has a solid understanding of the game, sees the ice well,
and is an effective playmaker.
Weaknesses:
Lack of size and strength are a concern. Needs work on his
defensive coverage. Shot needs more power, and he needs to play a
more physical game.

Projection : 3rd line C.

That's one prospect write up about pleks...

In hindsight, we know he became a much better NHLer than all but 5-6 other players drafted his year.

Like you, many would've dismissed any talk of him ever putting up top 6 numbers, let alone best ng a far better offensive player in the NHL than a much more "talented" prospect like Svitov...

Thing is, becoming a good pro is far more about what happens as they become adults than what they did as kids.... And contrary to many takes, far less about the visible physical tools at 19-20 & far more about what they do to improve & maximize their physical tools from draft to mid-20s.

Mysak has the kind of drive, versatility and hockey sense to adapt, improve and make the most of his physical tools that lends itself well to ongoing improvement.

Like any prospect, the odds of becoming a regular top 6 NHLer are slim. The tools he has between his ears are, imo, reason to believe he has a better shot than most.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs10Habs and 417

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Strengths:
Excellent offensive instincts and stickhandling. Very good skater with
decent speed. Is creatitive with the puck, and can play somewhat
physical. Has a solid understanding of the game, sees the ice well,
and is an effective playmaker.
Weaknesses:
Lack of size and strength are a concern. Needs work on his
defensive coverage. Shot needs more power, and he needs to play a
more physical game.

or open the television and see that he's a grinder.

Edit: It's a 2003 scouting report about Plekanec...Not Mysak

Last edited:

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
I see him as a 3rd line winger. Nothing more.
I think he would actually look really good next to Beck who imo is a lock for a 3C. Mysak on his wing would be interesting in a few years I think.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Thought it was about Mysak, You really quoting some scouting 20 years ago about Plekanec.

Youre the only one pumping Mysak on here.

He's a 3rd liner at best. Not close to Plekanec.

He's trying to explain that Plekanec's scouting report showed he'd be a Bottom-6 player and he ended up becoming a Top-6 player, having multiple 50+ point seasons and had a few 60+ and one he had 70.

The point being, you can put a limit to a player when they're 18-20 years old. But the work they put in and the way they grow their game can exceed those limitations placed on them.

And it's an example for placing limitations on Mysak now.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Pleks was a 2way ppg player in his last wjc like Mysak the comparable is fine imo. Let's not forget Pleks played 3 full years in the AHL and touted prospects were Higgins, Hossa, Balej...but hard work paid off and he had the best career.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Thought it was about Mysak, You really quoting some scouting 20 years ago about Plekanec.

Youre the only one pumping Mysak on here.

He's a 3rd liner at best. Not close to Plekanec.

Hard to know for sure. Saying Pleky would be a top 2C when he was age 20 would be a reach as well. Mysak is a good leader and he has high IQ. He shows up in big games and he's on a good track. Trying to raise his base or lower his ceiling is very subjective. Guess work.

This is a big season for him now that he has turned pro. We'll be able to guess better after this season. Until then, your guess is as good as mine

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Mysaks season was littered with injuries and then took a defensive role when they acquired mactavish.

Mysak is clearly the type of player his coaches lean on heavy in any game situation. There is value there in trying to track his development. I think the is on track to be become a well rounded forward but he's got the turning pro hurdle challenge to come. Very curious to see how he performs in his first full AHL season. Lets hope he has a healthy season

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I said this in his initial draft thread but I love him as a prospect. I think his career ends up similar to Lehkonen, and that’s a big W for us.

Lehkonen is a pretty fast skater. The main worry I've heard about Mysak is that he's not that fast. So we'll see if it holds him back from reaching Lehkonen level.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I demand the thread be titled "The Disrespected One" lol

The disrespect this guy got in the habs prospects rankings completely bewildered me lol
Calm down, he's a future third liner if he can work on his cement feet.
GYl514K.png

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Calm down, he's a future third liner if he can work on his cement feet.
GYl514K.png
Never said he'd be a Top Line player lol
One day you'll understand you need great Third Liners (middle sixers) as well to get far in the PO's
Tampa won Cups on the strength of that Third Line, and it's funny the year they lose the 3rd line completely they lose the cup to a team whose Third Liners made the difference, how about that eh?

But yeah no, your Russ memes are fire tho

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Never said he'd be a Top Line player lol
One day you'll understand you need great Third Liners (middle sixers) as well to get far in the PO's
Tampa won Cups on the strength of that Third Line, and it's funny the year they lose the 3rd line completely they lose the cup to a team whose Third Liners made the difference, how about that eh?

But yeah no, your Russ memes are fire tho

Yes third liners are necessary. It's the fact that you're bewildered by his prospect ranking on this board, when you damn well know there's about 10 other prospects with a similar ceiling in our system that made me pull up Russ.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad