Prospect Info: Jan Mysak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I didn't see Mysak as an offensive threat and I would not use him in a offensive role; even in the juniors he doesn't get that kind of role. Very good motor, never stop working and play a good two-way game but I don't see how this guy can establish himself with us with all the prospects incoming and he will never have the chance to be use in a offensive way because of that in the AHL.

I would trade this guy ASAP because I don't think we can't have a better value for him than we have now because of his last WJC/Memorial Cup and he will get pass sooner than later by others prospects. Is offensive numbers don't progress in his junior years and with all the experience he already has at the international, pro and juniors I see that for a big warning!

With is experience he need to be way better than that versus the players of the same age and he didn't really show that on the offensive side in the OHL and I think he will hit a wall at the pro level in that way. With time everyone will close the gap on him with more playing time at pro level! Don't get me wrong, he play a mature game and very effective in the small details but he already show how limited offensive he was and didn't really produce with his skills but the way he play the game.

Some people compare him to Lekhonen, I didn't buy that, I see him as a Jan Bulis or Lukas Vejdemo; not good, not bad but not good enough! You can draft/sign 100 players with the skills of Lekhonen before finding one who will be effective and ready to sacrifice himself to simply keep the play alive like he did. Something you can't buy, the main reason he is a special player and I think Mysak will never reach that kind of effectiveness even if he play a similar game in some way.

I agree with much of what you are saying but I am not sure that trading him is a great idea. We will not get much for him at all and he may be a very useful 13th forward who can seamlessly come in and out of the lineup. I say keep him until waivers become an issue then makeup their minds on what to do with him.

I could see him being good value at league minimum with an outside chance of developing into a 3rd liner and I doubt we get the same value back in a trade that likely would fetch a mid round pick in return. In the meantime he could also turn into a strong asset in Laval as he plays the game the right way and could help bring along other prospects.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I didn't see Mysak as an offensive threat and I would not use him in a offensive role; even in the juniors he doesn't get that kind of role. Very good motor, never stop working and play a good two-way game but I don't see how this guy can establish himself with us with all the prospects incoming and he will never have the chance to be use in a offensive way because of that in the AHL.

I would trade this guy ASAP because I don't think we can't have a better value for him than we have now because of his last WJC/Memorial Cup and he will get pass sooner than later by others prospects. Is offensive numbers don't progress in his junior years and with all the experience he already has at the international, pro and juniors I see that for a big warning!

With is experience he need to be way better than that versus the players of the same age and he didn't really show that on the offensive side in the OHL and I think he will hit a wall at the pro level in that way. With time everyone will close the gap on him with more playing time at pro level! Don't get me wrong, he play a mature game and very effective in the small details but he already show how limited offensive he was and didn't really produce with his skills but the way he play the game.

Some people compare him to Lekhonen, I didn't buy that, I see him as a Jan Bulis or Lukas Vejdemo; not good, not bad but not good enough! You can draft/sign 100 players with the skills of Lekhonen before finding one who will be effective and ready to sacrifice himself to simply keep the play alive like he did. Something you can't buy, the main reason he is a special player and I think Mysak will never reach that kind of effectiveness even if he play a similar game in some way.
Since Lehkonen was good in the Swedish Elite League and Colorado and crap with Montreal it would appear the coaches should get a lot of the blame. Mysak showed offensive ability in his last season with Hamilton even though he never got to play on the 1st line. His poor offensive numbers this year could be due to incompetent coaching.

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
Since Lehkonen was good in the Swedish Elite League and Colorado and crap with Montreal it would appear the coaches should get a lot of the blame. Mysak showed offensive ability in his last season with Hamilton even though he never got to play on the 1st line. His poor offensive numbers this year could be due to incompetent coaching.
Of course it is, JF Houle decided Mysak was not an offensive player even before the season started and said it publicly so…

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
I agree with much of what you are saying but I am not sure that trading him is a great idea. We will not get much for him at all and he may be a very useful 13th forward who can seamlessly come in and out of the lineup. I say keep him until waivers become an issue then makeup their minds on what to do with him.

I could see him being good value at league minimum with an outside chance of developing into a 3rd liner and I doubt we get the same value back in a trade that likely would fetch a mid round pick in return. In the meantime he could also turn into a strong asset in Laval as he plays the game the right way and could help bring along other prospects.

When I talk about trading him it simply because he will never have a better value than now because of the way he will be manage because of the incoming prospect. I don't want to trading him at all cost but I will add him in as a throw-in in a deal to close it without hesitation because is numbers will be bad with us and we can leave without him.

I know the game of Mysak is not base on offensive numbers but I don't see him beat some of your prospects like Farrell, Beck or Heineman who has way more tools to be effective NHLers versus him in the long run. He will not has the chance to prove himself in the AHL or at the NHL level!

But like you said we gain close to nothing to trading him and he can be a effective player at the AHL level in the way he play the game and maybe a 13th forward in the long run!

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013

Lekhonen is simply playing with more confidence in Colorado than in Montréal is still the same player. John LeClair with Montréal can't hit the net on a breakaway but a couple years later he can find a hole from the blue line gaining some confidence playing with Lindros! Lekhonen is not a John LeClair 2.0 but prove hockey is a "head game".

Mysak play on a very good team last year and he got good offensive numbers for the use he has. With Laval is another story and the coach didn't seem to like him very much! I hope in the future Montréal will have a more "prospect mentality" than they have now with their farm team because for year the prospect got block behind some players without any potential too make the next level.

With the incoming of Farrell, Heineman, Beck, Roy, Kidney, Davidsson and others with the people already in place I have difficulty to see how Mysak will have the tools and the playing time to establish himself with us.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Can anyone enlighten me as to his poor performance in the AHL this season? Does the blame lie in Houle's coaching or has he been plagued by injuries what's the deal here?

We have few players currently in the AHL to look forward to, he was one I was hoping to see some sparks from and yet....
He barely was a PPG player in juniors at 19, people expecting him to light up the AHL have not evaluated the player properly. He will be a career AHLer unless something dramatic happens with his development.

Perfect example of how some people overrate prospects.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Can anyone enlighten me as to his poor performance in the AHL this season? Does the blame lie in Houle's coaching or has he been plagued by injuries what's the deal here?

We have few players currently in the AHL to look forward to, he was one I was hoping to see some sparks from and yet....

Mysak is our prospect the most impacted by Covid OHL ban playing like 10 games before the league shutdown. He was sent to the AHL but he was 18 and not ready so he did not play much.

Last season, I think he played over 100 games including the mem cup and last summer wjcs and he was playing with injuries. He barely had time to prepare/recover for the training camp. For that reason I discard his slow start in the AHL, where he was put on the 4th line right away.

OT but I think his teammates with the Bulldogs McTavish had the same problem. Long mem cup run + summer wjcs. He would be challenging for the Calder if not for his slow start.

DLR was Armia but without the glimpses of skills. Mysak is more of a Torey Mitchell if we are looking at former Habs comparables.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Plekanec was our number one center and was good for 50-60 pts per year.

Mysak doesn't seem to have top 6 potential at all.
He barely put up a 1 ppg in his 19 years old season.

I dont see Plekanec trajectory at all.

Yup. And back in the early 2000's, many didn't see that trajectory for pleks either.

Matter of what one is looking at...

Different league

Plekanec was putting around 0.5 ppg with men in Czech.
Good for 2nd in the league for U20.

Mysak is in the CHL and we have a lot of data suggesting that he won't be a top 6 player base on his stats. (+ his skilllset is average at best).

I remember having an argument with Miller Time...
He compared him to Plekanec...

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Didn't play 2 years ago
Played more than anybody last year
Slotted on the 4h line from day1

Chill

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I don't give up as quickly as you guys do on a 21 yr old kid that has only played 20 AHL games. Chill.
I was like you too, i.e. I didn't give up on our prospects quickly. But after seeing Leblanc, Tinordi, McCarron, de la Rose, Sherbak, Vejdemo, etc., I now tend to give up much quickly. I don't want to waste time on the prospects that probably go nowhere. I can roughly see if the kid has potential or not. With few games watching Suzuki, Caufield, Ramonov or Guhle, we know that they have a bright future. We don't need to watch 2-3 seasons to know if they are good or not; just a dozen games suffice.

As for Mysak, in very few games that I saw him, he wasn't so good. Combined with his mediocre stats, we can forget about this prospect. Turn the page and let's move on.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
I remember having an argument with Miller Time...
He compared him to Plekanec...

I compared short sighted reactionary fan takes about a player early in their post draft career...

Thanks for making the point that much more emphatic.

Mysak has had a tough start to his pro career, no doubt about it.

And he's 20. And he's battled serious injuries his first two pro seasons.

But yes, let's close the book. You're right.

Carry on.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I was like you too, i.e. I didn't give up on our prospects quickly. But after seeing Leblanc, Tinordi, McCarron, de la Rose, Sherbak, Vejdemo, etc., I now tend to give up much quickly. I don't want to waste time on the prospects that probably go nowhere. I can roughly see if the kid has potential or not. With few games watching Suzuki, Caufield, Ramonov or Guhle, we know that they have a bright future. We don't need to watch 2-3 seasons to know if they are good or not; just a dozen games suffice.

As for Mysak, in very few games that I saw him, he wasn't so good. Combined with his mediocre stats, we can forget about this prospect. Turn the page and let's move on.
And with hockeydb, you cann picture and make probability what the player might become after 1 year or 2 after he been draft. 8/10 you won’t miss the expectations. As exemple, back in the day, Louis Leblanc was already trending as a bust on D2. To be PPG in the Q on D2 is clearly not enough.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
“I had to become stronger,” he explains. Stronger in battles. The guys at the professional level are imposing. Some of them are 30 pounds heavier than me. The priority was to be stronger to prepare myself for pro hockey.”

Mysak got his hands dirty without neglecting cardio and explosiveness. He spent the summer training two hours from his hometown of Livitnov in the Czech Republic, following a program created by his personal trainer.

“I'm definitely a little heavier than I was,” he mentions.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
One player in particular surprised Mysak on the Rocket last season, “Lucas Condotta,” says Mysak. We started the season together on the fourth line in Laval and, at the end of the year, he was in the NHL.

In his first game, in his first appearance and with his first shot, Condotta scored his first goal in the NHL, against the Boston Bruins.

“He’s really strong,” Mysak remarked about his teammate. It's difficult to take the puck away from him with his big frame. He’s very good around the net.”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad