Prospect Info: Jan Mysak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
He's trying to explain that Plekanec's scouting report showed he'd be a Bottom-6 player and he ended up becoming a Top-6 player, having multiple 50+ point seasons and had a few 60+ and one he had 70.

The point being, you can put a limit to a player when they're 18-20 years old. But the work they put in and the way they grow their game can exceed those limitations placed on them.

And it's an example for placing limitations on Mysak now.

I think the issue is that the "scouting report" was a very poor one. Any "scouting report" available to the public is not made by an actual scout, they are made by fans pretending to be scouts and it shows in the report that was quoted in this instance.

Calling Plekanec's speed "decent" and listing defensive play as a "weakness" after his first season in Hamilton is laughable. These are areas that fake scouts commonly are exposed in as most fans only see speed in guys who rush the puck and cheat to get breakaways. Plekanec was always a defensive minded player who's great speed only became obvious to the layman when his improving anticipation started leading to more breakaways.

Mysak's biggest weakness is his skating which has improved but is still below NHL average and entirely ends any reasonable discussion of him being the next Plekanec unless you are talking about the very end of his career where he had clearly lost a step or two.

I see Mysak's upside as a 30-40 point bottoms six player but more likely ends up a 20 - 30 point player.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Thought it was about Mysak, You really quoting some scouting 20 years ago about Plekanec.

Youre the only one pumping Mysak on here.

He's a 3rd liner at best. Not close to Plekanec.

thanks for the insight. Care to share this weekend's lotto numbers while you're at it?

I don't mind being an outlier, superficial takes are often where the herd flocks to.

I've had my share of player projections be right, and wrong, it's a pretty arrogant place to sit to think one's prediction of future outcomes is ironclad.

Where i've tended to be right, is in observing the prospects whose observable intangibles where predictive on long term progression that outstripped the surperficial takes on their ceilings based solely on things like junior point production or physical tools at <20.

Guys like Gallagher, Subban, Lekhonen et. showed far earlier than what the general concensus on their ceilings
were that they had the makeup of players who would land higher than junior/draft projections. Mysak, for the reason's i've outlined, is showing the same things. Defaulting to the majority or to junior point production comparisons highlights that your take is... superficial.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I would like to see what Mysak looks like on the wing personally. We will see how they use him in Laval, but his style might be more suited for the wing.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I've been thinking this since he's been drafted. More implicated offensively on the wing. It's nice he can play center in a pinch.
Exactly,
Or when his center gets kicked off the dot, he can just waltz in and take em,
It's a big reason I want Dach and Monahan on the same line lol

But not overall expecting Jan to be primarily C for sure

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
...so...did we underrate this guy after all??...his WJC performance so far has me thinking I did...alot...
He's been pretty good and it's a good sign but let's keep in mind that he's in the oldests of the bunch so his performance was expected.
I still think he has good potential to be a good 3rd line player but I don't expect much more.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Just coming in to say that Mysak looks like a great player, I hope him and Owen Beck end up forming perhaps the Habs 3rd line together. They both play with a lot of heart and skill that I could see them being a nightmare for some teams.

Reactions: bopeep

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Pleks was a great find in the 3rd round. A rare feat to find a 1000 game center 71st overall.
I am not sure Mysak has the skill or skating Tomas Plekanec had.
I see more like a Lekhonen at center. Good defensively and offense will increase with experience. Average season In the 40 point range

Reactions: Tyson

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Pleks was a 2way ppg player in his last wjc like Mysak the comparable is fine imo. Let's not forget Pleks played 3 full years in the AHL and touted prospects were Higgins, Hossa, Balej...but hard work paid off and he had the best career.
Wasn’t only hard work, Plekanec possessed the most important need @ NHL level… ability to be taught & execute teachings. Very few players possess that ability, which is why every single coach adored Plekanec & kept pushing more responsibility his way, allowing growth of the player.

But it all started w ability to quickly process teaching & demonstrate he absorbed what had been taught….. the polar opposite of AKos, Galchenyuk etc., hence the stalled development

Goal Caufield50

Jul 13, 2007
Exactly,
Or when his center gets kicked off the dot, he can just waltz in and take em,
It's a big reason I want Dach and Monahan on the same line lol

But not overall expecting Jan to be primarily C for sure
Does Dach not have a 32% faceoff winning percentage?

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
I'm assuming Mysak (June 2002 birthday) was eligible to have played this season as an over-ager in Hamilton. Guessing Montreal could still re-assign him there now (NHL players like Wright just go re-assigned). His AHL numbers (3 points in 20 games) have been pretty mediocre.

With the NHL trade deadline coming and Montreal looking to move Drouin, Dadonov, Byron, and maybe even Anderson or Hoffman - will Mysak find himself with a bigger role in Laval?

Hamilton are not looking like a contender but maybe the Bulldogs could quickly trade his rights to a solid team like Ottawa or London if they knew he was coming back.

Thoughts on what would be better for Mysak's development

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I'm assuming Mysak (June 2002 birthday) was eligible to have played this season as an over-ager in Hamilton. Guessing Montreal could still re-assign him there now (NHL players like Wright just go re-assigned). His AHL numbers (3 points in 20 games) have been pretty mediocre.

With the NHL trade deadline coming and Montreal looking to move Drouin, Dadonov, Byron, and maybe even Anderson or Hoffman - will Mysak find himself with a bigger role in Laval?

Hamilton are not looking like a contender but maybe the Bulldogs could quickly trade his rights to a solid team like Ottawa or London if they knew he was coming back.

He won't be going back to Hamilton. They just traded a top forward & best D. They're rebuilding.

They should move him to wing.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
He won't be going back to Hamilton. They just traded a top forward & best D. They're rebuilding.

They should move him to wing.
Agree - that's why I wrote "Hamilton are not looking like a contender but maybe the Bulldogs could quickly trade his rights to a solid team like Ottawa or London if they knew he was coming back"

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MtlSars

Dec 9, 2016
Can anyone enlighten me as to his poor performance in the AHL this season? Does the blame lie in Houle's coaching or has he been plagued by injuries what's the deal here?

We have few players currently in the AHL to look forward to, he was one I was hoping to see some sparks from and yet....

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Can anyone enlighten me as to his poor performance in the AHL this season? Does the blame lie in Houle's coaching or has he been plagued by injuries what's the deal here?

We have few players currently in the AHL to look forward to, he was one I was hoping to see some sparks from and yet....

Limited minutes on 4th line. He's been hurt for a while now. Not sure when he's supposed to return. I haven't seen anything to indicate that he has enough talent to make an impact at the pro level either.

Reactions: MtlSars

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

He started the season by having his coach tell him he's not going to be an offensive player. So.. trying to adjust to a new league, has no vote of confidence from his new coach, and then a major injury.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

Mysak will be out until February/March to injury.

Galchenyuk15

Jan 2, 2013
He started the season by having his coach tell him he's not going to be an offensive player. So.. trying to adjust to a new league, has no vote of confidence from his new coach, and then a major injury.

I didn't see Mysak as an offensive threat and I would not use him in a offensive role; even in the juniors he doesn't get that kind of role. Very good motor, never stop working and play a good two-way game but I don't see how this guy can establish himself with us with all the prospects incoming and he will never have the chance to be use in a offensive way because of that in the AHL.

I would trade this guy ASAP because I don't think we can't have a better value for him than we have now because of his last WJC/Memorial Cup and he will get pass sooner than later by others prospects. Is offensive numbers don't progress in his junior years and with all the experience he already has at the international, pro and juniors I see that for a big warning!

With is experience he need to be way better than that versus the players of the same age and he didn't really show that on the offensive side in the OHL and I think he will hit a wall at the pro level in that way. With time everyone will close the gap on him with more playing time at pro level! Don't get me wrong, he play a mature game and very effective in the small details but he already show how limited offensive he was and didn't really produce with his skills but the way he play the game.

Some people compare him to Lekhonen, I didn't buy that, I see him as a Jan Bulis or Lukas Vejdemo; not good, not bad but not good enough! You can draft/sign 100 players with the skills of Lekhonen before finding one who will be effective and ready to sacrifice himself to simply keep the play alive like he did. Something you can't buy, the main reason he is a special player and I think Mysak will never reach that kind of effectiveness even if he play a similar game in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad