Prospect Info: Jamie Oleksiak

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Jyrki's definitely been the better defender this season.

That being said, neither have played at higher than a #5 defender's caliber.

I think Nemeth is showing us the game we all thought Oleksiak would play (defensively, at least).

Hanson

Jan 14, 2014
I know I'll be roundly vilified by all of you students of the game, but I'll just throw this out there. The leading scorer among defencemen on the Texas Stars is Derek Meech. In his lone pre-season game with Dallas he scored a goal. The coaches often play him with young prospects in order to show them the ropes. Yet he is completely ignored by Dallas even while fans complain about your other defencemen.
No need to tell me yet again how much you hate him though I don't think he deserves it.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I know I'll be roundly vilified by all of you students of the game, but I'll just throw this out there. The leading scorer among defencemen on the Texas Stars is Derek Meech. In his lone pre-season game with Dallas he scored a goal. The coaches often play him with young prospects in order to show them the ropes. Yet he is completely ignored by Dallas even while fans complain about your other defencemen.
No need to tell me yet again how much you hate him though I don't think he deserves it.

I don't think anyone hates him, he's just kind of ignored.

I obviously haven't seen him play outside of a game or two, but I'd expect that he's the opposite of Klingberg. His game is very well suited for the AHL, and he knows the league well, so it's natural that he would play that role for the CP Stars. Whereas Klingberg didn't have as much success in the AHL as we would've expected, he exploded in the NHL simply because his play style fits in this league that much better.

I can't be 100% sure about that, but that's what I'd guess is the case.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I don't think anyone hates him, he's just kind of ignored.

I obviously haven't seen him play outside of a game or two, but I'd expect that he's the opposite of Klingberg. His game is very well suited for the AHL, and he knows the league well, so it's natural that he would play that role for the CP Stars. Whereas Klingberg didn't have as much success in the AHL as we would've expected, he exploded in the NHL simply because his play style fits in this league that much better.

I can't be 100% sure about that, but that's what I'd guess is the case.

12 pts in 10 games this year and 13 in 14 total isn't as much success as you expected?

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
12 pts in 10 games this year and 13 in 14 total isn't as much success as you expected?

Well I guess I was wrong :laugh:

I distinctly remember some posters saying he didn't look all that impressive in the AHL, though, and they thought that his game was going to translate to the NHL much better.

Maybe that was Honka and I'm misremembering it, though.

EDIT - Actually yea, I'm pretty sure it was Honka they were referring to. My bad.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I think one day this kid will be a beauty.

If all our d prospects pan out we will have a beauty d corps.

Klingberg-Nemeth
Lindell-Oleksiak
Honka-jokipakka

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Swap out Oleksiak for Backman.

All Scandinavian defense. Can't go wrong with that.

Last edited:

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Bah. Oleksiak getting passed up for Jokipakk and Nemeth is frustrating me.

I like him a lot, so given our great d depth, i am kinda hoping he gets traded so he can have a real shot somewhere else.

Too many young d on our team:

John Klingberg
Esa Lindell
Patrik Nemeth
Jyrki Jokipakka
Julius Honka
Matthias Backman

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

I like him a lot, so given our great d depth, i am kinda hoping he gets traded so he can have a real shot somewhere else.

John Klingberg
Esa Lindell
Patrik Nemeth
Jyrki Jokipakka
Julius Honka
Matthias Backman

Oleksiak can go down and Jokki can't because of TDL rosters.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

John Klingberg
Esa Lindell
Patrik Nemeth
Jyrki Jokipakka
Julius Honka
Matthias Backman

Jokipakka and Nemeth have played better than Oleksiak. Believe me, everyone wants the mountain of a man that is Oleksiak to work out. The problem is he's not living up to expectations or potential...even at his age.

We do have too many young D, I would be surprised if they are all still here by the draft.

HockeyNightInBelfast

HockeyNightInBelfast
Mar 28, 2011
Belfast
www.facebook.com
How would Stars fans feel bout including Oleksiak as part of a package to acquire Phaneuf from Leafs?

Would a fair description of what Oleksiak's upside might become, is that of a big 'D' man whose positionally sound but doesn't play physically or have much of a nasty streak & has limited offense? Poor man's Tyler Myers?

Thanks

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
How would Stars fans feel bout including Oleksiak as part of a package to acquire Phaneuf from Leafs?

Would a fair description of what Oleksiak's upside might become, is that of a big 'D' man whose positionally sound but doesn't play physically or have much of a nasty streak & has limited offense? Poor man's Tyler Myers?

Thanks

A fairer description of his upside is a 2nd pair guy who will make less than 7m and that we won't need to kill our cap with by buying up his mid 30s at that insane price point. Also somebody there won't be any hilariously transparent bait-and-switch about whether he is a LD or a RD, nor any confusion/misinformation about his "strengths."

I'm gonna say "Do Not Want" just out of habit because I know nobody was listening the million previous times.

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK

Thanks

Description si fine to me, but I wouldn't touch Phaneuf with a ten-foot pole if I were GM..

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

Thanks

No to Phaneuf...a million times....7 million times, no.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I've always taken a "pay absolutely no more than what we paid for Spezza" type of a approach, and even then I would prefer cheaper options. It's odd that such an approach gives me a pro-Dion stance in comparison to the majority of fans :laugh: Maybe it's me that should re evaluate my stance on him, as it looks like the biggest losers of the off-season might be the fan base of the team that acquires Dion.

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
I've always taken a "pay absolutely no more than what we paid for Spezza" type of a approach, and even then I would prefer cheaper options. It's odd that such an approach gives me a pro-Dion stance in comparison to the majority of fans :laugh: Maybe it's me that should re evaluate my stance on him, as it looks like the biggest losers of the off-season might be the fan base of the team that acquires Dion.

I'm not sure how I feel about him. I guess I wouldn't be that upset if we traded for him and didn't give up that much. Living in Calgary and watching him when he began his career he looked like a future #1 D, but playing in Toronto he looks like a 3-4 D man. I wonder if that has something to do with the pressure of playing in Toronto and so on. If he returned to his old form he'd be worth it.

His contract isn't really worth the gamble though

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I'm not sure how I feel about him. I guess I wouldn't be that upset if we traded for him and didn't give up that much. Living in Calgary and watching him when he began his career he looked like a future #1 D, but playing in Toronto he looks like a 3-4 D man. I wonder if that has something to do with the pressure of playing in Toronto and so on. If he returned to his old form he'd be worth it.

His contract isn't really worth the gamble though

Yeah, those are my feelings as well. In addition to the market pressure, I've felt that coaching has had a really big negative impact on Dion. I really hated Randy Carlyle as a coach, I think Dion's game declined massively under him. It's like Dion forgot how to advance the puck up the ice under his tenure, this caused Dion to get pinned down in the defensive zone far too often, which would highlight the flaws of any defenceman. Then the brief Horachek era was an unmitigated disaster for every Leafs player.

But I would have no problems acquiring the Calgary Flames era Dion, and I liked the Dion under Ron Wilson too. So I'm thinking a lot of his issues were systemic and could be fixed in Dallas rather than an outright decline in ability. But that is a massive gamble, and the downside might not be worth the potential upside.

The contract sucks, but there is a couple nice things about it.
-We wouldn't have to keep his NTC, which would make him easier to trade.
-His actual salary is 5.5 the last year, and 6.5 the two years prior to that. So it might be a little easier to dump if he does decline.
-Including Moen and/or maybe Hemsky could take away some of the short term pressure on Gaglardi's checkbook.
-We really don't have anything else to spend the money on in the short term, so we probably wouldn't be able to spend our cap space efficiently anyways.

But yeah, I'm definitely lukewarm at absolute best on him.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
So what does this mean for us trade wise?

I don't know that it really means anything with regards to a trade. Wouldn't surprise me if Nill sticks to his word and doesn't make any moves on the defense. Not for lack of trying, but simply no good opportunities to really improve it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad