Prospect Info: Jamie Oleksiak

aloonda*

I am looking forward to the first smart situation where he can get into a brawl and just destroy someone. The mere presence of that is something to be relished.

ginblossoms

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
I am looking forward to the first smart situation where he can get into a brawl and just destroy someone. The mere presence of that is something to be relished.

Yeah. In terms of fighting, he's like Jamie Benn on defense. Doesn't look to engage, but kid can bring it!

Klockis

Suter stan
Mar 21, 2013
Sweden
I would say that a massive amount of chara's effectiveness is the fear of him

I don't think hyper competetive players with huge ego's get scared by size. I think Chara is effective because he's a freak of nature more than anything.

I hope Oleksiak doesn't drop the gloves, like Benn we need him on the ice. But I'm a a anti-fighting guy so...

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I agree about some players' fighting ability not being as important as some think. I don't have a problem though if Oleksiak drops the gloves every once in a while, especially early in his career.

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
What's up with him? is he healty scratch ? Is he playing good hockey so far?

I haven't see him play this year.

Thanks!!!

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
He's worthy of a spot on this team. Unfortunately he has dead weight blocking him, and it's infuriating.

they need to put him in and just play him for at least 10 game in a row unless he looks like total ****, which he wont, especially compared to the rest of the dmen. Its especially infuriating that its likely we are setting ourselves up for some tough decisions on defense next year, which would be a little easier if we were willing to find out what we actually have in Oleksiak.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
He and Jokipakka need to be in the lineup nightly so they can evaluate if they're keeping both, neither, or just one. It's beyond stupid to keep Jordie in or to have picked up Schlemko. Unless for some bizarre reason they're more worried about the Texas Stars making the playoffs rather than the Dallas Stars.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
He and Jokipakka need to be in the lineup nightly so they can evaluate if they're keeping both, neither, or just one. It's beyond stupid to keep Jordie in or to have picked up Schlemko. Unless for some bizarre reason they're more worried about the Texas Stars making the playoffs rather than the Dallas Stars.

Take a look t Texas' roster and realize how many of those players really have nothing to do with Dallas. OT, but it's surprising. We barely develop our own players anymore.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Take a look t Texas' roster and realize how many of those players really have nothing to do with Dallas. OT, but it's surprising. We barely develop our own players anymore.

Well a lot of that is the gap between the last group of rookies and the upcoming group. Several Dallas prospects are still in Europe and guys like Nuke being out mean that Ritchie is on the yo-yo between Cedar Park and Dallas. Same with Nemeth being out so both Jokipakka and Oleksiak have missed at least half the season each.

Troock is injured. Faska is injured. Vance is in the ECHL. Sinitsyn is in Russia. Bystrom didn't come over. Molin flamed out and is never going to make the jump. Shore didn't leave college. It adds up. A ton of junior prospects are going to graduate though and I expect the number of Dallas prospects to greatly increase next year.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

I agree they should both be playing, but you're missing the point a little bit. It's clear they want to have a #7 nobody cares about developing, and that Oleksiak and Joki need minutes. One in the NHL and one in the AHL makes sense given all the tendencies we've all seen play out in the Nill-Ruff regime. And I wouldn't be surprised if there is some concern about the Texas Stars in all this, especially once they decide the NHL season is lost. Nill went on and on about playoff experience helping development, so if you have somebody like Moen in the way of a Ritchie or McKenzie callup, maybe it's for the best. Getting our junior guys a series or two before they hit the AHL full time can't hurt.

This is bananas. A few months ago, it was all our own players winning the Calder Cup. You get highs, with lots of players nearly to the NHL, and lows, where guys need more time to develop. Next year when Lindell, Bystrom, Dickinson, Ully, and Shore all show up in Cedar park should be back to an upswing.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
I agree they should both be playing, but you're missing the point a little bit. It's clear they want to have a #7 nobody cares about developing, and that Oleksiak and Joki need minutes. One in the NHL and one in the AHL makes sense given all the tendencies we've all seen play out in the Nill-Ruff regime. And I wouldn't be surprised if there is some concern about the Texas Stars in all this, especially once they decide the NHL season is lost. Nill went on and on about playoff experience helping development, so if you have somebody like Moen in the way of a Ritchie or McKenzie callup, maybe it's for the best. Getting our junior guys a series or two before they hit the AHL full time can't hurt.

This is bananas. A few months ago, it was all our own players winning the Calder Cup. You get highs, with lots of players nearly to the NHL, and lows, where guys need more time to develop. Next year when Lindell, Bystrom, Dickinson, Ully, and Shore all show up in Cedar park should be back to an upswing.

True, but you can't argue how they're handling the Campbell situation. They're just pissing away whatever value he brings to the organization.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
True, but you can't argue how they're handling the Campbell situation. They're just pissing away whatever value he brings to the organization.

I don't disagree about this, but they go cuckoo over competition for places and as much as I hope he's the goalie we all thought he might be, it doesn't seem like anyone has much faith in his value at this point.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX

Campbell himself is pissing away what value he has to the organization by being bad. He can't win the job because he's played like crap and both Rynnas and Lindback have outplayed him. In a tight playoff race I don't blame Laxdal for benching Campbell because when he's been out there he hasn't gotten the job done.

I know the argument that goalies take time and Campbell needs to play to develop but the truth is he's 23 and failing at the AHL level. Those scouting reports that talked about him being mentally strong are so off the mark it's hilarious. His weakness is between his ears and until that changes he's going to ride the pine right out of the organization as one of the worst 1st round draft picks this organization has ever had. He can join Glennie in the WTF were you thinking Nieuwendyk club.

LowSodium

Jan 4, 2015
Dallas
Campbell himself is pissing away what value he has to the organization by being bad. He can't win the job because he's played like crap and both Rynnas and Lindback have outplayed him. In a tight playoff race I don't blame Laxdal for benching Campbell because when he's been out there he hasn't gotten the job done.

I know the argument that goalies take time and Campbell needs to play to develop but the truth is he's 23 and failing at the AHL level. Those scouting reports that talked about him being mentally strong are so off the mark it's hilarious. His weakness is between his ears and until that changes he's going to ride the pine right out of the organization as one of the worst 1st round draft picks this organization has ever had. He can join Glennie in the WTF were you thinking Nieuwendyk club.

Agree with this mostly.

I see a lot of people saying we should just force the T.Stars to play Campbell, but that just isn't feasible. Laxdal wants to keep his job, and he does that by winning games. You aren't winning any games with Campbell, so he goes with the better option.

Campbell is digging his own grave and I think the Stars are finally realizing this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad