Prospect Info: Jamie Oleksiak

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Hey guys, Canucks fan here. With the rumours that Dallas and Vancouver are talking Hamhuis trade, was wondering if you could give me a scouting report on Oleksiak. I know he's HUGE - and tough - but how is his skating? Any offensive potential?

How do you see him developing and what kind of player do you think he'll turn out to be? Seems like a match as far as what Van is looking for, but would Dallas trade him?

Thanks guys and good luck in the post-season this year!

If you mean tough to watch then yeah, otherwise no, he's not that unfortunately. That said, Dallas isnt good at developing defensemen so maybe a change of scenery would do him good.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Only reason he plays more minutes because he we no other options with all the injuries. If everyone was healthy he'd be miles away from getting any ice time at all.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Jamie skated the best I have seen him last night in an otherwise dismal game against LA. It was the first time I thought he could develop into something, he looked that good. Aggressive, jumping up into play, carried the puck away from danger a few times. Very noticeable in a good way last night. Wonder if Kevin being traded, or maybe the last dozen games in his "show me" contract are motivating him but he was clearly better than normal last night.

Val and Radek looked good last night. Faksa statistically is already one of our best PK guys. Brett Ritchie was a bit less noticeable compared to his earlier games, but everyone has ups and downs.

Short version is we will have a younger team next year, but I don't think its going to be a bad thing with Johns, Lindell and maybe a few others making the jump full time. Old players (looking at you Vern) get older and young players get better.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
You can't tell anything about anyone's future based on one game.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yeah, but you can sure tell an internet troll from one post......even if you are the moderator.

All I said is its the best I have seen him play (and I mean personally as I attend many game as a STH, you can't always tell on TV) Based on my eyeball test, it was progress, which beats the alternative we had been seeing all year.

Can I say that?

Satan

MIGHTY
Apr 13, 2010
Lapland
I thought he looked good til midway in the third he made a brutal turnover in front of the net that almost led to a goal.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I thought he looked good til midway in the third he made a brutal turnover in front of the net that almost led to a goal.

I guess I should amend my observations to 2/3 of a game, since I left before the third period was played, LOL. You really can't judge by a full game, its true....especially when you leave before the end.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
He played really well against Tampa Bay last night. I'm not convinced Nemeth really is better. Either way I'd like him in the lineup every night till the playoffs so Dallas gets a good long extended look at him and can properly decide which of the young guys stays next season.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I thought he looked good again, maybe a little less good on skating, but more physical. It's like Ruff told him to be more physical against a big TB team, and he can only concentrate on one major thing at a time, i.e., I still don't think he has a high hockey IQ, but I do think if Jordie doesn't sign for a reasonable sum, like $1-1.2M, he will be our 6-7 D man next year.

I noted there was some D pair Ruffling, and his minutes were the lowest by far, so by that metric, he is still not Ruff's fave.

Indianation65

Oct 14, 2014
Currently, North Tex
If he would have played more consistently all season, he "probably" would be a solid 3rd pairing, but due to mistakes, and plenty of D-men prior to February, he was hit and miss, and his inconsistent play never gave him a chance to stay with the Stars.

I've been hoping for him to become a solid game player due to his youth, grit and size, and still hope for it, but I've noticed him more closely lately, and it's his soft passes that bug me. "Mistakes," well, all players make them, but when they are costly in front of the net, it gives a coach reason to sit him.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
He can't think the game very well. Very little hockey sense, if any.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Yeah, agree with all of the above. Soft passes have been a problem, hockey sense, even when he hits he doesn't look like a natural at it.

I think he will end up with a lower rung team, and hang in the league a while, but has no place on a team anywhere near Cup caliber.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
People were flaming me for saying that we should trade him while he still had value last year.

I was fairly certain his lack of hockey sense was going to be his downfall despite the physical tools and skating.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Even when he was playing better Big Rid was still the guy that would allways get sheltered the most. Today with Klingberg returning he's also the one that gets scratched. He's all but finished with the Stars .

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
So according to Mark Stepneski today Hitch seems to be a fan of Oleskiak.

'The player making a push on the defense is Jamie Oleksiak who could be an option to play on the right side.

"He is taking things to another level which is really impressive for us," Hitchcock said. "He's cool under fire, he's competitive as heck from the dots to the boards, and he's playing really sound right now. He's an interesting candidate to maybe even play on the right side."'

Source

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad