Prospect Info: Jamie Oleksiak

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Hey guys, just wondering what role guys you expect Oleksiak to be playing next season? Also what do you view his upside as?

Thanks!!

My dream is Oleksiak in the AHL for at least half the season, then coming up if Robidas gets traded.

Upside is hard to say, I don't think he will ever bring much offense. Maybe he will develop into a top pairing guy, but I think he will end up a good defense focused #3.

Starsdude

Jul 7, 2002
Visit site
He had a slow adjustment. Probably needed to use more size less stick. Skating I thought was fine. His biggest problem seemed to be game was a little fast , first pass was poor to bad and got lost on occasion. I think he will see full time NHL duty next year but he still needs seasoning so it will be protected.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
He ought to be fully ready to play in the NHL by the start of next season. I'm hoping he has a monster AHL playoffs. His role will depend on how well he plays. As we've seen with Dillon it's very easy to carve out a large amount of minutes if you impress.

Long-term upside should be as a #2 defender.

Bhrangerfan0809

Jan 20, 2013
So what do you guys think Oleksiak's future (specifically next 2-3 years) looks like with Dallas? When will he become a staple in the Dallas defense?

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Honestly, Oleksiak has played his best when playing with a shutdown type of partner. This last month or so that has been Gaunce. He's done ok with a offensive minded partner too (with Meech).

His best play is as a two-way defender with more emphasis on the defense and transition game than on offensive capabilities (shooting/passing).

With that in mind, basically I think he'd be a great #2 guy to pretty much any type of defender.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
Honestly, Oleksiak has played his best when playing with a shutdown type of partner. This last month or so that has been Gaunce. He's done ok with a offensive minded partner too (with Meech).

His best play is as a two-way defender with more emphasis on the defense and transition game than on offensive capabilities (shooting/passing).

With that in mind, basically I think he'd be a great #2 guy to pretty much any type of defender.

Dillon-Oleksiak as a pairing would make me happy.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
Both are lefties though.

Oleksiak frequently plays RD in Texas. True righties are hard to come by so it's doubtful Dallas is every at a point they have 3 on a regular basis.

The Nemeth-Oleksiak pairing from Texas is still my favorite. I think Dillon belongs with a guy like Klingberg, and Nemeth-Oleksiak could eventually be a true shutdown pairing.

Benn-Klingberg would also seem to be fine. Benn's played well with Gonchar at times, and that would allow Dallas to protect Klingberg. He's going to need it. He's a major risk taker, and he's going to make mistakes. Dillon now that I reconsider this would be better off with a guy that can handle better competition but still push offense. Bystrom or Lindell could be that type of player, but they are both 2 or 3 years out potentially.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Nemeth-Oleksiak is typically the PK pairing they put out there. And they do very well at it.

5 on 5 I've enjoyed the Gaunce-Oleksiak pairing but I could have liked to see Oleksiak with Nemeth more often.

When Oleksiak is with a defensive guy, it's like the leash is let off and Oleksiak will take that puck through the neurtal zone like a madman. It's awesome to watch

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
He's a pretty unstoppable force when he's got his mind going up the ice. It's impossible to knock him off the puck and he's got really damn soft hands for how massive he is. Thinking about now I don't think I've ever seen a big guy skate better than him. Chara's not even close with his footwork.

I had my doubts about him hitting #1 status, but if he's given exactly the right partner it's doable in my eyes. We're to the point where he's NHL ready and keeping hi in Austin past this season does nothing for his development. You can only dominate so much.

Oleksiak-Nemeth really is a dream pairing when it's clicking right. Nemeth's defensive nature paired with Jamies overall play around the ice can elevate them both up to #1 pair I'm hoping. As it stands now Nemeth seems like a 3-4, but with Jamie I think 2 is reasonable to expect.

Dillon-Oleksiak
Nemeth-Oleksiak
Connauton-Oleksiak

Can't really go wrong with any of those.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Only big D I can think of that skates better is Myers. Love watching that guy move around the ice.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Hey guys,

Outsider looking for some help. When oleksiak has had some time (1 or 2 seasons) in the league, where do you see him sitting at pts/yr? Also, I see that he has monster size. Is he a physical player? What do you see his role being on this team? Could he be a future star, or will he be a lesser version of Seabrook? I notice his points regressed from season 1 to season 2 in the AHL. Is this cause for concern?

Anyways, I would appreciate any opinions. Thanks a Lot.

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK
Hey guys,

Outsider looking for some help. When oleksiak has had some time (1 or 2 seasons) in the league, where do you see him sitting at pts/yr? Also, I see that he has monster size. Is he a physical player? What do you see his role being on this team? Could he be a future star, or will he be a lesser version of Seabrook? I notice his points regressed from season 1 to season 2 in the AHL. Is this cause for concern?

I don't see him scoring more than 30 points.. for his size he is unbelievably soft and I would be very happy if he could develop to the "lesser version of Seabrook" :) And I think every Stars fan is little bit concerned about him, because he was our only shot for a nr.1 Dman from our prospect pool and his development stalled a bit.. but we know that tall guys need more time to develop, so the time will tell..

Cin

Eurosnob.
Feb 29, 2008
Austin, TX
Hey guys,

Honestly none of that can really be answered yet. He's still being molded into whatever it is that he's going to become.

A year ago everybody would say that he needs to use his body more, and a lot of people probably still would. But I've seen him start to use his size a hell of a lot more recently.

Pts total? No clue.

Role? No clue.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Yeah, apparently he is a good skater for his size, and has about 20 lbs on Tyler Myers.

Do you think he will stick with the big club this entire season now that Nemeth is gone for the year? Do you have any options that could replace him on the D line?

masinaLFC

Apr 2, 2014
Banska Bystrica, SVK
Yeah, apparently he is a good skater for his size, and has about 20 lbs on Tyler Myers.

Do you think he will stick with the big club this entire season now that Nemeth is gone for the year? Do you have any options that could replace him on the D line?

Well, it depends on his performances.. I think Jokipakka is more NHL ready than Oleksiak, but the coaching staff likes Oleksiak more

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Don't add him to your fantasy hockey team. The 10 points he might get this season won't help you.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Don't add him to your fantasy hockey team. The 10 points he might get this season won't help you.

My fantasy league have up to 90 players each, and is a keeper league. Therefor I would be looking for his stats down the road to improve, and eventually make my Roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad