U18: 2024 Team USA

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Who's been better: Hutson or Emery?
We're talking about one game and they are paired together. I think Hutson is the more impactful junior player, but they have different types of strengths and weaknesses, it's close enough that you could say Emery, and better at junior level doesn't mean better as a pro.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
We're talking about one game and they are paired together. I think Hutson is the more impactful junior player, but they have different types of strengths and weaknesses, it's close enough that you could say Emery, and better at junior level doesn't mean better as a pro.
Emery's father played football. I had a thought watching the NFL Draft that if even like twenty percent of those guys played hockey, obviously had a different and more lean build, the USA would absolutely dominate hockey every year. It's crazy how many guys there are with an insane mix of size and athleticism in the States. Hockey gets such a small tip of the iceberg there.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
It's interesting how Heil ended up at number 80 on Bob McKenzie's list.

There has been a lot of talk about how stupid it is to take three goalies to the NTDP and finally they have learned their lesson. Now there are only two in the 08s.

Last edited:

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
This has been a pretty lazy performance. It's pointless to try to draw any conclusions from this. Anything other than reaching the final is still a failure for this team.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Very sloppy. Didn’t reach 40 shots against Norway. The Mooney line was the most active, but I didn’t think the offense was clicking today. A few too many defensive miscues. And we know Parsons isn’t going to save the team when that happens. 2 on 18 shots for him isn’t that bad, but if we ever need to choose between him or Heil in a game against a good team we are in big trouble.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
I don't like what I see at all. A couple of easy goals, but otherwise poor performance so far. Lot of sloppy plays.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Latvia deserved much more from this period. Our 5vs5 game was worryingly bad. Kempf and Connolly were good. In the end, a 3vs1 attack and the end result is a penaly. Says more than a thousand words.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
If Connelly is available around 15-32 and nobody picks him because of some stupid garbage he did or said as a brat who doesn't know shit, I don't get it.

This second period has been a pretty good response to a dismal first period.

I'm certainly not trying to compare Eiserman to Matthews as a player but one thing I like about him is his similar ability to score goals in many different ways. Neither of them live off their shot alone. If they have to score a dirty goal, they will find a way to score a dirty goal.

Hopefully, Kempf will play against Finland.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Connelly and Hagens should play together the rest of the way. The 2nd line of Eiserman-Bednarik-Plante can't get any puck possession.

Important game against the hosts, Finland on Tuesday. Winner's path is Switzerland-Czechia/Latvia, loser's path is Sweden-Canada.

Reactions: Blueston

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They are a bit behind where they were against similar teams last year, depending on how much stock you want to put a 12-1 win against Norway turning into 8-2. Last year was 7-1 against Latvia, this year also 7-1. Last year was 10-0 against Switzerland, this year 9-0 against Slovakia. +27 against bottom three teams in group last year, +21 this year.

Last year they won 8-4 against Finland. Last year Finland was +13 against Norway/Latvia/Switzerland, which is equal to where they are this year.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
I believe that today a lot will culminate in whether Kempf can maintain his good level when he will be tested a little more. I don't think that Finland will be able to keep us under four goals.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I believe that today a lot will culminate in whether Kempf can maintain his good level when he will be tested a little more. I don't think that Finland will be able to keep us under four goals.
Issue with this U.S. team is they are not a good puck possession team, which is fine if you're going to score off the rush and on powerplays, but when your goaltending is pretty shaky it's not so good.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
Quite a nice first period. The only bad thing is that it should have been 3-0.

SK94

Apr 11, 2016
I'm mad about that last goal. I'm probably not lying if I say they could have 12 goals. The fact that Finland is still in this game is frustrating.

Eiserman is hard to watch when he doesn't score. I don't even think it's a question of his hockey sense, but rather that he wants to score too much. Maybe it can be about records too. I believe that this will also improve as he progresses in his career and starts playing with older players.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm mad about that last goal. I'm probably not lying if I say they could have 12 goals. The fact that Finland is still in this game is frustrating.
Seriously should be 9-3 right now
Eiserman is hard to watch when he doesn't score. I don't even think it's a question of his hockey sense, but rather that he wants to score too much. Maybe it can be about records too. I believe that this will also improve as he progresses in his career and starts playing with older players.
He's got a lot of maturing to do, but I've seen him play much smarter hockey when the games are tighter. I think he's record chasing, which highlights perhaps his lack of maturity.

Reactions: SK94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad