Prospect Info: Jamie Oleksiak

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Who has been playing better between Oleksiak and jokki?

Also, gun to your guys head, who do you keep long term: Oleksiak, jokki, Nemeth?

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA

Also, gun to your guys head, who do you keep long term: Oleksiak, jokki, Nemeth?

I'd probably get rid of Jokki if I had to pick one. I'm not happy with the idea of it because I think he could one day be a solid top 4 d-man and the trade value on that would be great, but I think his skill set is the most easily replaceable and that he's maybe not the kind of d-man we need right now. Oleksiak can flat out knock people on their *****, and that's not something you see a lot of when it comes to Dallas Stars hockey. Nemeth is that pure shutdown guy, and I certainly hope he develops into a steady one for us, someone mentioned Norstrom in the past, I would be thrilled if he turned into that.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Keep Nemeth and Oleksiak for sure. I'd like to keep Joki as well if the numbers work.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW

Honestly, I'd probably take Oleksiak BARELY over Nemeth just because I think Oleksiak has a higher upside and Nemeth has a higher floor. Nemeth is a stud, and better right now, and we all would've seen it if not for his fluky injury, but I think Oleksiak will be better when it's all said and done.

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX

In his small sample size, Nemeth was sheltered in the offensize zone, and still got outshot going back the other way. I realize everyone wants someone who can win a battle near the crease, but I'd much rather make this decision by the end of the season. Hopefully Nemeth gets back in and gets in some games so we have a better idea.

Right now the answer is Oleksiak. He's improved his play from last year, and has looked better on the whole. If he keeps progressing, you just can't give up on his potential even if it's starting to sound like a hallow refrain at this point. Jokipakka is someone who seems to succeed and struggle in subtle ways; he could be a less offensive Connauton - someone who is competent enough to have a secure spot on an NHL roster, but who just doesn't mesh well with the abundance of generals we already have.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
So I take it Oleksiak is in the AHL for the rest of this year? Such a glut of defensemen in Dallas right now. As someone who owns him in a fantasy league i almost hope he gets traded at the deadline.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
So I take it Oleksiak is in the AHL for the rest of this year? Such a glut of defensemen in Dallas right now. As someone who owns him in a fantasy league i almost hope he gets traded at the deadline.

Looks that way

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I thought he was playing better than Jokki too. It's now looking that despite all his talent he could get buried under Nemeth/Jokki/Klingberg/Honka.

Trade bait?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I thought he was playing better than Jokki too. It's now looking that despite all his talent he could get buried under Nemeth/Jokki/Klingberg/Honka.

Trade bait?

Klingberg yes, Nemeth maybe, but Honka is far away from the NHL and Jokki is playing poorly now.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Klingberg yes, Nemeth maybe, but Honka is far away from the NHL and Jokki is playing poorly now.

If Jokki is playing poorly, why is he up instead of Oleksiak or Nemeth?

Also, I havent been watching Texas, how is Nemeth doing upon his return? Do you think he will be a full time NHL'er next season?

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
If Jokki is playing poorly, why is he up instead of Oleksiak or Nemeth?

Also, I havent been watching Texas, how is Nemeth doing upon his return? Do you think he will be a full time NHL'er next season?

Jokki's decline is pretty recent, maybe the last 5 games or so? Letting it ride to the deadline and then making changes once everything is sorted is probably the strategy at this point.

I don't know about how well Nemeth is playing, but everyone expected him to be a full time guy this season and as long as he's recovered fully there's no reason to expect otherwise for next season.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Neither Okeksiak or Joki have distinguished himself from the other. Once Nemeth gets his legs under him he should be a regular in Dallas over both.

No offense but that keeper league must be a deep one to waste a spot on a guy like Okeksiak.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Neither Okeksiak or Joki have distinguished himself from the other. Once Nemeth gets his legs under him he should be a regular in Dallas over both.

No offense but that keeper league must be a deep one to waste a spot on a guy like Okeksiak.

Extremely proud of its depth, actually. We try to resemble the NHL and its probably one of the most in depth leagues around. We can have 50 contracts and 90 total players, and also contract slides. :)

I am hoping oleksiak eventually develops into one of my better all around roster defence men.

golgoXIII

Apr 2, 2007
so you seem to win more when Oleksiak is in the line up... Ruff should play him a little bit more to prepare him for the next season

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I wasn't particularly impressed with him last night. He had to use his reach to bail out his bad positioning at least twice (which I guess isn't a completely bad thing, but he shouldn't be out of position to begin with).

We're also 15-13-5, not sure I'd say that we win more with Oleksiak in the lineup...

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Jamie looked tentative and rusty. Yeah, first game back in the bigs, but I fear he just doesn't have the hockey sense and ability to play at speed. As for his big hitting potential....so far, its all hat, no cattle as we have seen very few big hits.

I just don't know if you guys are watching the same games I am if you think Jamie is playing better than Jyrki.

Besides, Ruff gave the both 5-6 games with the other down in TX, and picked JJ to stay up here, despite his last few rough games.

So, Jamie isn't passing the eye test from me, Nill or Ruff, which is good enough for me to decide he is the third man out, at least for now. I do think he will end up bouncing around lower level teams in the NHL, a la Fistric or a few other D men we have had show promise.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Jamie looked tentative and rusty. Yeah, first game back in the bigs, but I fear he just doesn't have the hockey sense and ability to play at speed. As for his big hitting potential....so far, its all hat, no cattle as we have seen very few big hits.

I just don't know if you guys are watching the same games I am if you think Jamie is playing better than Jyrki.

Besides, Ruff gave the both 5-6 games with the other down in TX, and picked JJ to stay up here, despite his last few rough games.

So, Jamie isn't passing the eye test from me, Nill or Ruff, which is good enough for me to decide he is the third man out, at least for now. I do think he will end up bouncing around lower level teams in the NHL, a la Fistric or a few other D men we have had show promise.

He's often too far away from his partner and forwards attack that gap. It says to me he needs some time to adjust to the speed and build trust with whoever he's with, neither of which seem to be given to him. He's never had 2 years in the same spot with the same coach IIRC (Northeastern, Saginaw, Niagra, Gully, Willy, Lindy, Laxdal since 2010), so maybe giving him a chance is better than giving up, considering how young he is.

I'm not sure what people think big hitting is about, but I have very vivid memories of him gently bumping forwards who then go flying away. If it would have been him and not Klingberg in the last minute of the Detroit game, or many other games this year, perhaps he would have been a more robust barrier between forwards and Kari. If anything goes late in games, he's about the best option we've got.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad