Prospect Info: Jamie Oleksiak

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Never thought he was bust. Just had a rough time getting use to the NHL.

Most here didn't think he was a bust. We just didn't think he'd get it together in time(this season) to stick here in Dallas. If he keeps playing like this, he'll earn a one-way deal this year. If he does earn a one-way, what happens with Jokipakka? Will Jokipakka have to clear waivers next year?

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Most here didn't think he was a bust. We just didn't think he'd get it together in time(this season) to stick here in Dallas. If he keeps playing like this, he'll earn a one-way deal this year. If he does earn a one-way, what happens with Jokipakka? Will Jokipakka have to clear waivers next year?
That's exactly right. There are more bodies in the system than NHL roster spots available next season.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
I could really see them moving Jordie this summer unless he has another run to the playoffs like last year. Heika has said before that Jamie would be professional about it. Brothers do get moved. He's on the last year next year at I believe something under a million which could be desirable to a team looking for depth on the cheap. Assuming there are other, larger, deals taking place this summer as well he could be part of that.

Either way, someone has to go. There's also a large chance that Oleksiak is the one to leave town despite (or because of) the improved play as part of a package. If Seabrook is coming back you'd think he'd be going back, unless they wanted younger (i.e., cheaper).

Regardless it'll have to be a different D next season. No matter what the improved play helps everyone involved.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Smart money is on Jordie being gone either this summer or during next season. He doesn't really factor into things in the future in any meaningful way.

I'm not worried about the brother thing either. I really don't think that's why he keeps getting played. This has been a case of a veteran player with terrible warts being played over inexperienced players. Jeff Woywitka didn't have a bro on the team and he was used well past his sell by date. Jamie will probably be happy his brother is getting a chance to get a pay day in the near future.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

As far as I can tell ... Jokipakka, Klingberg, and Oleksiak all require waivers. Oleksiak would not have required waivers had Joe Niuwendyk not played him and rushed him into the NHL in the lockout shortened season. He'd have one more year of waivers had that played out differently since Oleksiak signed as an 18 year old ... as Honka did ... even though they are both late births.

I'll admit I'm being a broken record about that ... but it's always been a rather annoying thing to me. Had he played in only 5 games that year instead of 16 ... he wouldn't have lost that extra year of waivers. At no point in any of those games did he really look like a guy that was ready. They should have known better IMO.

Dr GLU

Mar 1, 2002
Northern Hemisphere
Subconsciously, Jamie wants Jordie to be moved so he can annihilate him on the forecheck to repay childhood slights. He just doesn't know it yet.

Ampersand

Subconsciously, Jamie wants Jordie to be moved so he can annihilate him on the forecheck to repay childhood slights. He just doesn't know it yet.

Jordie got Hulk hands for Christmas as a kid, Jamie got hockey hands instead ;)

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
That's exactly right. There are more bodies in the system than NHL roster spots available next season.

edit> not really talking directly to you Troy, I should have multi-quoted to include OttMorrow's post right before you <

But the upside is such that it would be insane to get rid of him if he hadn't solidified an NHL spot this season. Just loony tunes as it's not like he's been behind in development. Would really suck to cut him loose then see him kicking ass for some other team next season so they could keep a likely 3rd pairing NHL dman (Joki) instead. He'd be a guy you have to figure out how to keep. Hopefully he keeps playing well consistently. Now him being involved in some kind of trade package is another deal entirely.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
edit> not really talking directly to you Troy, I should have multi-quoted to include OttMorrow's post right before you <

But the upside is such that it would be insane to get rid of him if he hadn't solidified an NHL spot this season. Just loony tunes as it's not like he's been behind in development. Would really suck to cut him loose then see him kicking ass for some other team next season so they could keep a likely 3rd pairing NHL dman (Joki) instead. He'd be a guy you have to figure out how to keep. Hopefully he keeps playing well consistently. Now him being involved in some kind of trade package is another deal entirely.
But imagine if he spent the rest of the season playing like he was before being sent down this last time. Then the decision isn't so easy.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007

But imagine if he spent the rest of the season playing like he was before being sent down this last time. Then the decision isn't so easy.

It was always a pretty easy decision IMO. They do have enough roster spots without moving anyone since Nill has shown a willingness to retain 8 D to avoid placing anyone on waivers. He'd give himself at least a few months into the season before making a move just as he did with Rome last season.

You could easily start the season with Benn, Daley, Demers, Goligoski, Jokipakka, Klingberg, Nemeth, and Oleksiak.

The only move that would force their hand to make a decision immediately was adding another D. I think there's a good chance they do add a D if he's a potential Top 2 or Top 3 guy, but locating that guy has proven difficult the past 7 off-seasons already. I'm more hopeful that ever though this would be the summer. At that point yeah it'd be mildly difficult on him to decide between Benn, Jokipakka, and Oleksiak, but my guess is if Dallas lands the big fish D they want anyway ... one of Jokipakka or Oleksiak are going to be going the other way anyway making the decision unnecessary. Just my guess.

Still forced to make a decision, I just don't see Nill letting Jordie Benn push out a 22 year old giant in Oleksiak or by this summer almost 24 year old Jokipakka. Jamie is just too young to give up on and dump for no value and Jokipakka has done more for Dallas at the NHL level than Connauton had. He's shown real potential that is above and beyond either Connauton or Jordie Benn.

I guess the shortest way to some all that up is regardless of Oleksiak's last handful of games, I'd be pretty disappointed if it wasn't obvious Benn was the clear odd many out ultimately ... even just from a salary standpoint. As a UFA in only 18 months, he's going to blow Jokipakka and Oleksiak's salary out of the water. Neither one would likely touch the money he'll get until very close to their UFA years. Financially it just wouldn't make sense to keep him as an overpaid 3rd pair D.

aloonda*

8:47 left in the third oleksiak lays the biggest crush against the walls I have seen him do, and the best one the stars have laid all year

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
I just re-winded the game.. That was Demers.

Demers can lay a hit as well!

2 guys I definately like having on my team.

Once Oleksiak realizes the pain he can bring, he will be a force! Sometimes I think he accidently goes into beast mode in games for some reason, but if he decided to play smart fast and physical on purpose, we may underestimate how good he can be.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

Exactly. His level of bad in the first 10-15 games was easily as far to the extreme on the bad side of the spectrum as Klingberg was to the extreme on the good side of the spectrum. He was painfully bad...it's a night and day difference now. When he started this season, he looked hopeless. Bad decisions...constantly. He looked like a lost puppy out there and he shouldn't have, having played at the NHL-level several times prior and with the physical tools he has. He really had no excuse to be THAT bad at first. If he had continued at that level of play he'd be in CP right now and Jokipakka would be in Victory Green.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Exactly. His level of bad in the first 10-15 games was easily as far to the extreme on the bad side of the spectrum as Klingberg was to the extreme on the good side of the spectrum. He was painfully bad...it's a night and day difference now. When he started this season, he looked hopeless. Bad decisions...constantly. He looked like a lost puppy out there and he shouldn't have, having played at the NHL-level several times prior and with the physical tools he has. He really had no excuse to be THAT bad at first. If he had continued at that level of play he'd be in CP right now and Jokipakka would be in Victory Green.

But before his last send down he wasn't playing that bad, he was showing improvement. Plus Jokipakka is getting a bit too much credit. He's been fairly solid but made his fair share of mistakes as well. Now Oleskiak actually looking "good."

Starting the season roughly for someone at his stage of development at his position isn't that big of a surprise. If he actually never got better than the beginning of the season in the rest of his NHL chances this season then yeah that would be cause for concern.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Oleksiak should be in the lineup every night. Not interested in any more excuses for him being scratched.

oconnor9sean

Mar 3, 2013
DFW
I think last night was easily the best game of his career. He was very smart with the puck, used his body physically multiple times, and was reliable defensively.

It's nice to see him put it together.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
I didn't see the game but this is great to hear. I hope Lindy rides him into the All-Star break, he and Ritchie go down for some games during the time off, and they both come out firing afterwards.

BigG44

Jul 12, 2007
I didn't see the game but this is great to hear. I hope Lindy rides him into the All-Star break, he and Ritchie go down for some games during the time off, and they both come out firing afterwards.

I was wondering last night if they'd do the same thing with Klingberg ... games over the weekend with Texas.

He's been full time so he could use the break, but he's also had some slightly off games where it might be nice for D zone reset in the AHL since you'll have the opportunity without him missing NHL games.

He's been rock solid offensively so no complaints possible.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
I was wondering last night if they'd do the same thing with Klingberg ... games over the weekend with Texas.

He's been full time so he could use the break, but he's also had some slightly off games where it might be nice for D zone reset in the AHL since you'll have the opportunity without him missing NHL games.

He's been rock solid offensively so no complaints possible.

Texas needs some help so I wouldn't be surprised to see him down there for that reason. At the same time they might just ask him and if he thinks he needs the break they won't push it. I think it could be valuable but not worth it if he's a little banged up.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
Texas needs some help so I wouldn't be surprised to see him down there for that reason. At the same time they might just ask him and if he thinks he needs the break they won't push it. I think it could be valuable but not worth it if he's a little banged up.

While it'd be nice to see Klinger, Oleksiak, and Ritchie back.....even with those three it's just a finger in a hole of a large leaky damn.

Jaded? Who? Me?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad