Prospect Info: Jamie Oleksiak

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I feel like the whole discussion about our D-corps is more or less one of where to put the deck chairs on a sinking ship. The only one that I remotely care about is Klingberg. The rest are either just guys or are too young and raw to make much of a characterization on other than how they look on any given night.

Send Oleksiak down. Bring him up. Play him. Sit him. After one playoff series followed up by an exciting offseason and very underwhelming 1/3 of this season I am fully back in long term mode. I'm trying not to judge any one move or player decision on its own and will try and take the big picture approach as a fan. My only real gripe this year about our defense has been under-utilizing Klingberg on the PP and the myriad of BS reasons for that action, presumed or inferred.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
And with all the talk of young guys knocking at the door, how do you hold an NHL roster spot for him over those others? Is it all because the team is so desperate for big? Is it because of where he was drafted? Is it because of a fear of seeing him go somewhere else and become Chara?

Yes, this team is desperate for a physical presence on the backend. I think that's the only reason he got the nod after the preseason instead of Jokipakka. I pretty much stated as much at the time they chose Oleksiak as well.

I think Demers has filled some of that whole for us and think they're becoming unsure of Oleksiak's ability to become what we need him to become.

And yes, I think their is that shred of doubt, that maybe he becomes something special somewhere else with a better D-corps. See Connauton, Gonchar, and Dillon. I am starting to worry that we will be able to develop any Dmen here without major changes to the corp defensemen and/or coaching. Hell it's hard to develop a young defenseman when Kari is so porous as well.

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
He plays poorly in the AHL, so they call him up again? This is beginning to get ridiculous.

Thats been my issue with the whole thing, was he playing great before he got benched, not really, but he was showing improvement and seemingly better then Jokipakka and Jordie at the time.

This play better get benched, play poorly get called up is just weird though.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I am starting to worry that we will be able to develop any Dmen here without major changes to the corp defensemen and/or coaching. Hell it's hard to develop a young defenseman when Kari is so porous as well.
For sure.

It's especially tough to develop d-men on this team. The coaches seem to offer little in the way of helping a guy improve. There are no good examples to follow on defense. I mean, if a coach is going to point to a veteran d-man to say, "See what he did? Do that," the coaches are always having to point to the other team. There are no quality d-men to pair with a rookie to help cover up a kid's mistakes. There are also too many young guys playing at any one time to be able to shelter them or bring them in slowly. On any given night, at least one of the rookies is going to have to contribute for the team to succeed.

This bunch of wins is nice, but it's not like there are many more road trips through the dregs of western Canada.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
For sure.

It's especially tough to develop d-men on this team. The coaches seem to offer little in the way of helping a guy improve. There are no good examples to follow on defense. I mean, if a coach is going to point to a veteran d-man to say, "See what he did? Do that," the coaches are always having to point to the other team. There are no quality d-men to pair with a rookie to help cover up a kid's mistakes. There are also too many young guys playing at any one time to be able to shelter them or bring them in slowly. On any given night, at least one of the rookies is going to have to contribute for the team to succeed.

This bunch of wins is nice, but it's not like there are many more road trips through the dregs of western Canada.

Makes you wonder if they are going to mess up Klingberg too.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
The ONLY two ways that this Oleksiak call-up makes any sense is if they are going to scratch Jordie or play 7D.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Is it any surprise Klingberg looked his best the first few games before the coaches started getting in his head?

Exactly. They step in and it all goes to hell quickly. At least that's what it looks like from an outsider's perspective. He played great in Sweden, tore up the AHL, started off phenomenally in Dallas, and now he's playing as average as everyone else on our D. If it really is Dallas that's the problem, that's disheartening.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
I don't really know what they're doing. Timing of send downs and call ups is odd(relative to his play, but mayhap coincidence). I do think he's shown improvement and potential as the season has gone on in Dallas. I never, even in pre-season, thought Jokipakka was clearly better, and thought of Late Oleksiak was playing better than Jokipakka. Since some say Oleksiak doesn't do anything good, I'll list one. He's good at breakout passes, especially relative to most of this D corps.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013
I honestly don't know what's going on anymore. Oleksiak doesn't deserve to be called up.

****, I feel really bad for Gaunce now.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Exactly. They step in and it all goes to hell quickly. At least that's what it looks like from an outsider's perspective. He played great in Sweden, tore up the AHL, started off phenomenally in Dallas, and now he's playing as average as everyone else on our D. If it really is Dallas that's the problem, that's disheartening.

Well that's not true. There may be something to the coaching in Dallas "getting to him" in some poisonous way but he's still one of the bright spots back there on any given night.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
Travis Morin and Jamie Oleksiak skated late, so it looks like they'll be tonight's healthy scratches.

So glad he was recalled to fill that important seat in the press box.

Brand New Stars

I don't. As a career AHL'er who looks terrible in the NHL he should take solace in those brief moments where he thinks he just may have a shot to get into an NHL game.

This sounds so mean, yet it's quite funny.

Stars90

Sep 24, 2013
Toronto
Personally I think this just shows that they told him the plan and they are following it. "Go down to Austin, play well in the three games, and we'l try to get you into some games up here." Agreed that 4 in 4 is not the best thing for him.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Personally I think this just shows that they told him the plan and they are following it. "Go down to Austin, play well in the three games, and we'l try to get you into some games up here." Agreed that 4 in 4 is not the best thing for him.

If Bluesoma is correct then they must not have told him to do well in those games :sarcasm:

beepeearr

@beepeearr
Jan 11, 2006
Lake Worth
If Bluesoma is correct then they must not have told him to do well in those games :sarcasm:

Ahhhh, now it all makes sense, Nill is trying to trade for a top D, but everyone keeps asking for Nuke, Klingberg or Oleksiak. Solution put Nuke on DL, take Klingberg off the PP and then convince other teams Oleksiak cant even stay in our poor d lineup.

Bluesoma

Jan 31, 2013

Trust me...he did not earn that call up at all.....not one single bit.......

I mentioned it in the Texas thread, he looked better last night. But that's like putting a bow on a turd. It's still ****.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad