Value of: Jacob Trouba

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Well first of all I never said a trade with the leafs would be a straight up 1 for 1 and also why couldn't Winnipeg make two trades. Say one for trouba and another one using forwards to get a d man. Maybe they figure out something to flip a portion of a deal with another team like toronto into a d man replacement. As for a 1D man we have examples like karlsson hedman burns keith ect...
These are examples of real 1 d men and trouba is not in this category.

Good, send us Nylander+ and we send Nylander to Canes for Hanefin and something.....

I rather keep Trouba if we can sign him..

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Actually with the expansion draft coming next month and some teams having to make tough descions on players this offseason is actually the best opportunity to trade for a D man.

That may jar a couple 3/4 D-men free, it will not free up any top pair D let alone a young #1 like Trouba.

Also, you seem to under the mistaken impression that teams facing the loss of players must sell them for cheep. This just means they lose 2 players instead of 1. Expansion may make more players available but it will not change the price. If players are available for cheap, teams facing the loss of good player can also protect themselves by acquiring more good players. They still only lose one and now they have a cheep replacement for what they lose, or a cheap filler for Vegas to take.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Kapanen+Gardiner+Toronto's 2017 1st round pick( #17OA) Yeah that's probably pretty close to what Kevin Cheveldayoff would want from Toronto.

That would never happen. As much as I love Trouba, that's an extreme overpayment. That's a package you give for a top 10 defenseman, which Trouba is currently not. Maybe Gardiner and the 1st, and that's as much as the leafs would be willing to go, maybe add in a b prospect like a Leipsic or Leivo but you're not getting Kapanen as well, nice try

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
That would never happen. As much as I love Trouba, that's an extreme overpayment. That's a package you give for a top 10 defenseman, which Trouba is currently not. Maybe Gardiner and the 1st, and that's as much as the leafs would be willing to go, maybe add in a b prospect like a Leipsic or Leivo but you're not getting Kapanen as well, nice try

No i agree that's overpayment for Trouba, Just saying that more or less that's what Chevy would be seeking. Leipsic+Gardiner+1st is probably pretty close to Trouba's value.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
A) No it isn’t, nor is it all that close.
B) The Jets would be looking for something in the range of what a top 10 D would actually bring.

Please enlighten me on how it's not, we're giving up a solid 2-3 defender in Gardiner, an A prospect in Kapanen and the 17th overall pick. Trouba is great, I agree but he is no where near that sort of package. I understand you guys hold him in high regard as you should, but don't try to kid yourselves if you're saying Trouba is a top 10 defenseman.

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015

Then we keep Trouba. I'm sure you can find what you're looking for with the XD...

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
A) No it isn’t, nor is it all that close.
B) The Jets would be looking for something in the range of what a top 10 D would actually bring.

not close? ... jets are getting a 2nd pairing dman + a skilled Nhl ready 20 yr old and the #17.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Not a fan of either team but WOW. You actually believe that Trouba = Matthews? Good luck with that one. Just WOW.

You have to understand no Jets fan has proposed Trouba for Matthews, they just say/mean Leafs don't make a good fit.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
That may jar a couple 3/4 D-men free, it will not free up any top pair D let alone a young #1 like Trouba.

Also, you seem to under the mistaken impression that teams facing the loss of players must sell them for cheep. This just means they lose 2 players instead of 1. Expansion may make more players available but it will not change the price. If players are available for cheap, teams facing the loss of good player can also protect themselves by acquiring more good players. They still only lose one and now they have a cheep replacement for what they lose, or a cheap filler for Vegas to take.

Never said sell cheap just realistic

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
That's a great idea! Trade what the Jets need for other parts in hopes that those parts can be added to current assets to replace Trouba.
The equal would be the Jets trading a bunch of youth/picks for Matthews & after Shannahan sorts through them to keep some & add others to parts he can lose trade for McDavid or the like to replace Matthews.
To the disappointment of Leafs fans everywhere there aren't 30 other GMs making improving TML their priority. :shakehead

I would say have both trades in place before you do them if I have to explain it to you

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
not close? ... jets are getting a 2nd pairing dman + a skilled Nhl ready 20 yr old and the #17.

17th picks and mid level prospects (50ish range in THN NHL scout/GM survey) are just not as valuable as you seem to think. Good middle paring defenders with 2 years of contract remaining have decent value but nothing resembling what you’d need to get a young #1 D.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
17th picks and mid level prospects (50ish range in THN NHL scout/GM survey) are just not as valuable as you seem to think. Good middle paring defenders with 2 years of contract remaining have decent value but nothing resembling what you’d need to get a young #1 D.

is Kyle Conner a mid level prospect?

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Not sure Leaf fans keep pushing Gardiner, we have no interest due to age/contract status. This has nothing to do with value. Let's move on from Gardiner, he's a non starter due to reasons above.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
is Kyle Conner a mid level prospect?

He's in the same category as Kap, middle six prospect. Any package of lesser pieces would be a last ditch option only three years from now at the TD. Until then we keep our #1D for three years, unless he resigns or we receive a good offer. No point rushing anything

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Jets fans probably won't agree with me but Trouba is the most important player on the team going forward.

He isn't going anywhere.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Jets fans probably won't agree with me but Trouba is the most important player on the team going forward.

He isn't going anywhere.

No he definitely is. Which is why if we trade him we need to make sure it's a damn good deal. Much rather we keep him though.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Probably no fits between us two. Couture would be sick, but for over six per year... that's too much for us to pay. Vlasic would probably bolt immediately as an UFA in 2018. Those are the two guys who interest me the most.

Makes sense.

I'd retain on Couture if you wanted and add a cheap young bottom pairing RHD like Dylan DeMelo if that helped. But I understand why you wouldn't want to move Trouba.

Total Cure

May 15, 2017
I think that this whole thread is a little premature. Cheveldayoff has shown that he only makes a move when he absolutely has to, and when he gets what he wants. He has repeatedly stated that Trouba is part of Winnipeg’s core and that he wouldn’t trade him. Cheveldayoff called Trouba and Overhardt’s bluff during the holdout. They know that this scenario will play out again for the next negotiation. Trouba is under Winnipeg’s control for another 3 years.

Besides, everything that apparently was bothering Trouba was addressed this year (getting top 4 minutes, playing on the right side, pp time, etc). The Jets will do everything they can to lock him up long term as early as this July.

But I’ll play along. Should a trade happen, it’ll be expensive. Winnipeg will never get fair value and/or get what they want (elite LHD) for Trouba in a 1 for 1 deal. I expect a deal with more moving parts (i.e. Evander Kane deal)…something where a young LHD with upside along and a young centre with upside for Trouba and a lesser piece.

Someone suggested Chychrun earlier. Arizona might be a good trading partner. Chayka is apparently an analytics nerd. By any metric used, Trouba is a top D (refer to post #60 for a link). The eye test supports this.

Trouba, Petan (or Dano), the 13th and 43rd 2017 picks for Chychrun, Dvorak, the 7th and 23rd 2017 picks.

Coyotes fans might think this is too expensive. Jets fans might think that it’s too risky.

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
Kapanen+Gardiner+Toronto's 2017 1st round pick( #17OA) Yeah that's probably pretty close to what Kevin Cheveldayoff would want from Toronto.

Quantity can make up for loss in quality i.e. Gardiner and Brown or something like that but no chance the Jets do a deal that requires another step back and doesn't make them equal or better day one of the trade.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

He isn't going anywhere.

He is but he doesn't want to stay, so they have to try to maximize his return at some point. Otherwise, he's not available. What are the jets going to do after next year? They could lose him for nothing if he doesn't sign long-term and they are forced to bridge him. A RHD with a good shot, skates well, plays good defense is a high commodity in today's NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad