Value of: Jacob Trouba

brock0791

Jul 2, 2015
He is but he doesn't want to stay, so they have to try to maximize his return at some point. Otherwise, he's not available. What are the jets going to do after next year? They could lose him for nothing if he doesn't sign long-term and they are forced to bridge him. A RHD with a good shot, skates well, plays good defense is a high commodity in today's NHL.

By the time he's a UFA Jets should be a 2nd round playoff team giving him top pairing minutes with the cap space to make things interesting I wouldn't say it's that foregone a conclusion

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He is but he doesn't want to stay, so they have to try to maximize his return at some point. Otherwise, he's not available. What are the jets going to do after next year? They could lose him for nothing if he doesn't sign long-term and they are forced to bridge him. A RHD with a good shot, skates well, plays good defense is a high commodity in today's NHL.

Has there been any "Trouba wants out" rumours this offseason?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Has there been any "Trouba wants out" rumours this offseason?

Not that ive read. It's funny how everyone talks about Trouba wanting out because of last year's fiasco, but no one ever mentions a thing about Drouin. Situations are starkly similar, yet rarely do i ever see comments in a Drouin thread that Tampa bay isgoing to lose him, or that they have to takea reduced return on him.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
is Kyle Conner a mid level prospect?

According to some, yes. Others, no.

But Myers, Conner, and 13th overall doesn't get you Hampus Lindholm.

I think that this whole thread is a little premature. Cheveldayoff has shown that he only makes a move when he absolutely has to, and when he gets what he wants. He has repeatedly stated that Trouba is part of Winnipeg’s core and that he wouldn’t trade him. Cheveldayoff called Trouba and Overhardt’s bluff during the holdout. They know that this scenario will play out again for the next negotiation. Trouba is under Winnipeg’s control for another 3 years.

Besides, everything that apparently was bothering Trouba was addressed this year (getting top 4 minutes, playing on the right side, pp time, etc). The Jets will do everything they can to lock him up long term as early as this July.

But I’ll play along. Should a trade happen, it’ll be expensive. Winnipeg will never get fair value and/or get what they want (elite LHD) for Trouba in a 1 for 1 deal. I expect a deal with more moving parts (i.e. Evander Kane deal)…something where a young LHD with upside along and a young centre with upside for Trouba and a lesser piece.

Someone suggested Chychrun earlier. Arizona might be a good trading partner. Chayka is apparently an analytics nerd. By any metric used, Trouba is a top D (refer to post #60 for a link). The eye test supports this.

Trouba, Petan (or Dano), the 13th and 43rd 2017 picks for Chychrun, Dvorak, the 7th and 23rd 2017 picks.

Coyotes fans might think this is too expensive. Jets fans might think that it’s too risky.

Good post.

I'm less interested in unestablished defence for Trouba, though.

They won't be forced to bridge him.

And if he files for arbitration, I believe he can only get a one year award.

Duchene + 4OA

Big value. Still want defence instead, though.

Last edited:

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Not that ive read. It's funny how everyone talks about Trouba wanting out because of last year's fiasco, but no one ever mentions a thing about Drouin. Situations are starkly similar, yet rarely do i ever see comments in a Drouin thread that Tampa bay isgoing to lose him, or that they have to takea reduced return on him.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if he had changed his mind. He was the #1D on their D-group at the end of year.
+Jets have one of the best u25 cores in the league, and they have cap space.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Jets don't lose after next year, we own his rights for three more years. So we keep him until he extends long term or keep him until the right deal comes along or we trade him for package deal in third year at TD while enjoying his skills. No rush to do anything at this point, but if the right deal came along he "might" be traded.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I wouldn't be surprised at all if he had changed his mind. He was the #1D basically on their D-group.
+Jets have one of the best u25 cores in the league, and they have cap space.

I think he wants to stay. He has everything he said he wanted. Playing time is where it should be and tjhe Jets are definitely on an upward trajectory. I can't imagine him leaving, unless the Jets really low ball him, which they'd be stupid to do.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Brent seabrook, retained 2.5 mil salary for two years + 3rd round 2017 draft pick= kyle connor and trouba

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Offer up your U24 top line center, U24 high end 2D or better, or simply don't bother. We are not interested in dealing Trouba for scraps, as his value is sky high.

so based on this logic you'd want

Matthews
Eichel
Draisatial

that caliber player

good look with that

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Brent seabrook, retained 2.5 mil salary for two years + 3rd round 2017 draft pick= kyle connor and trouba

You cant retain for a portion of the contract, its all or nothing.

And even if you could, that deal is absolutely putrid.

Your smugness in the following post doesn't help, either.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Matthews
Eichel
Draisatial

that caliber player

good look with that

Where did he say that? That's just you trying provoke a poster.

You say that but in two years, troubas gonna walk out of there for nothing

Three years, not two. I'll play along, let's say he doesn't resign and isn't traded before then.....did the nhl change the rules stopping teams from trading UFA players? Most of these offers are UFA value their so bad.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think he wants to stay. He has everything he said he wanted. Playing time is where it should be and tjhe Jets are definitely on an upward trajectory. I can't imagine him leaving, unless the Jets really low ball him, which they'd be stupid to do.

Can't see Chevy doing that, wasn't he ready to sign him to a longterm contract similar to those that were signed last year?

Matthews
Eichel
Draisatial

that caliber player

good look with that

I'm sure they don't want to trade him so that's alright.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Alright man, just saying trouba doesn't really wanna be in Winnipeg because of the way he doesn't get ice time. The Winnipeg system is just bad; they don't have a good coach, their 3rd and fourth line forwards don't play well in the defensive zone. Im sorry to say this, but he has every right to skip out and he will after his contract expires.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Where did he say that? That's just you trying provoke a poster.

Three years, not two. I'll play along, let's say he doesn't resign and isn't traded before then.....did the nhl change the rules stopping teams from trading UFA players? Most of these offers are UFA value their so bad.

no thats called going based on whats there

he said he wanted an under 24 1st line C

which means he wants Matthews, Eichel, Drisatial, Monahan etc

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Honestly, the jets should just trade myers so that trouba can get his minutes in. Rather trade myers than trouba, but if they could keep both i'd guess thatd be best

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
no thats called going based on whats there

he said he wanted an under 24 1st line C

which means he wants Matthews, Eichel, Drisatial, Monahan etc

Your list is getting longer.

Instead of trying to stir it up, why not just ask him who.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
don't need to

when you say under 24 1st line C we all know who that means because there aren't many guys who fit that specific bill.

Why should they trade u24 1st pair RD for less?
If Trouba gets put on the market Gm's wouldn't stop calling.

Trouba is a beast and doesn't have too many weaknessess.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad