Value of: Jacob Trouba

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
If you are going by this then you believe that Klefbom > Trouba >?

Nope. Please re-read my previous post. This is a running total meaning it goes with games (an min) played, and Trouba only played 59 games. A big part of Klefbom’s totals are his low number of minor penalties last year, which while a legit impact it’s not quite the same as being able to impact the game with actual play.

Karlsson had a higher WAR than Trouba.
Hedman, Weber, OEL, Subban etc etc etc

Trouba put up 5v5 points at a higher rate (per 60 min,) and had a bigger impact on shot volume and quality at both ends of the ice. What else is you think he should do? The only thing he’s lacking relative to these guys is reputation, which is mostly what HFBorads “eye-test yeah analytics bad†crowd actually look at. TBH If he were getting more min and playing on a team in an eastern media center it’s likely he’d immediately be touted as a Norris candidate.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Just like the best outcome for Auston is for him to walk when his 7 years in Toronto is up, right?

Ignore those types of posters who add nothing of value and just trying to provoke a response.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Skjei, Raanta, 1st? Might not be enough, but the Rangers don't exactly have many assets. I'm not even sure we should do this since we would then need to replace Skjei, but just gauging value.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Skjei, Raanta, 1st? Might not be enough, but the Rangers don't exactly have many assets. I'm not even sure we should do this since we would then need to replace Skjei, but just gauging value.

Skjei is on the lower end of what we would be looking for, so we would need a big addition on top of him. Probably Zibanejad, or possibly Kreider or Miller, although our wings are set.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
If the Jets need to trade Trouba, their only need in that trade is young, high-end D.

LD or RD, doesn't matter.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Meh. His value and what he'd get traded for are two different things. Only way Jets would be selling him is if they know he doesn't want to sign. Chevy hung on to Kane all those years even though he wanted out. If he's shopping Trouba you know it's cause he wants the moon or he wants out or both.

At that point Jets are looking at 2nd pair D, 1st and good but not great prospect for him. Hopefully he stays...

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Meh. His value and what he'd get traded for are two different things. Only way Jets would be selling him is if they know he doesn't want to sign. Chevy hung on to Kane all those years even though he wanted out. If he's shopping Trouba you know it's cause he wants the moon or he wants out or both.

At that point Jets are looking at 2nd pair D, 1st and good but not great prospect for him. Hopefully he stays...

Very realistic as to what the return would be for trouba :handclap::handclap:

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
You must be sitting out of view of all televisions if you think Trouba would return matthews. :laugh:

The inability to comprehend "no one else than Matthews gets the deal done" is mindblowing. Nowhere does he say what you claim him to have said.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011

How is Trouba's relationship with his teammates after he asked out? I remember Matthew Perrault, specifically, calling him out for the request

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
He said matthews is the only one that could get a deal done from where he's sitting so that sounds like what he said....

Your hearing what you want to hear, he's saying no other single player on the Leafs would do it and he's right (either to lack of need or value).

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Your hearing what you want to hear, he's saying no other single player on the Leafs would do it and he's right (either to lack of need or value).

And he's wrong and so are you. I like trouba but the return people expect for a good 2D in here is insane.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
How is Trouba's relationship with his teammates after he asked out? I remember Matthew Perrault, specifically, calling him out for the request

MP is a bit of a hot head who has called out other teammates in the media and was shut down immediately by his teammates/captain rumour is. Trouba gets along great with his teammates.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
And he's wrong and so are you. I like trouba but the return people expect for a good 2D in here is insane.

Ok tell me who from the Leafs outside of Matthews would the Jets trade Trouba straight up for (not saying Trouba returns Matthews straight up, Matthews isn't available).

Gardiner - nope, older and two years before ufa

Reilly - Nope, clearly Trouba has passed him

Marner- Nope, don't need wingers

Kadri - no chance

Nylander - Only one close imo, this is only b/c his potential to play C which is a future potential need.

Everyone else - Not even in the right universe

FYI - By virtually all unbiased metrics Trouba is a top 30 D, not a #2D.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Nope. Please re-read my previous post. This is a running total meaning it goes with games (an min) played, and Trouba only played 59 games. A big part of Klefbom’s totals are his low number of minor penalties last year, which while a legit impact it’s not quite the same as being able to impact the game with actual play.

Karlsson had a higher WAR than Trouba.

Trouba put up 5v5 points at a higher rate (per 60 min,) and had a bigger impact on shot volume and quality at both ends of the ice. What else is you think he should do? The only thing he’s lacking relative to these guys is reputation, which is mostly what HFBorads “eye-test yeah analytics bad†crowd actually look at. TBH If he were getting more min and playing on a team in an eastern media center it’s likely he’d immediately be touted as a Norris candidate.

No the fact is that Trouba is a very good player but I think he is over-hyped compared to his peers of similar age and ability.

The fact that he is seen as a trade target due to his previous will to leave the Jets indicates that he may draw a little more attention than normal which will artificially inflate his trade value.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Jets have three more years of control before UFA. IMO priorities/options should be:

1) Sign Trouba for 6-8 years, overjoyed

2) Trade Trouba for young top pairing D, ideally left side

3) Trade Trouba for a young #1C plus may be required

4) Trade Trouba for a elite young #1 winger plus is required

5) Trade Trouba for a package

Priorities are listed in order of desirability, package deal would be least desirable

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Ok tell me who from the Leafs outside of Matthews would the Jets trade Trouba straight up for (not saying Trouba returns Matthews straight up, Matthews isn't available).

Gardiner - nope, older and two years before ufa

Reilly - Nope, clearly Trouba has passed him

Marner- Nope, don't need wingers

Kadri - no chance

Nylander - Only one close imo, this is only b/c his potential to play C which is a future potential need.

Everyone else - Not even in the right universe

FYI - By virtually all unbiased metrics Trouba is a top 30 D, not a #2D.

Well first of all I never said a trade with the leafs would be a straight up 1 for 1 and also why couldn't Winnipeg make two trades. Say one for trouba and another one using forwards to get a d man. Maybe they figure out something to flip a portion of a deal with another team like toronto into a d man replacement. As for a 1D man we have examples like karlsson hedman burns keith ect...
These are examples of real 1 d men and trouba is not in this category.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

I think you may underestimate 23y top pairing RD's by a bit.

Well first of all I never said a trade with the leafs would be a straight up 1 for 1 and also why couldn't Winnipeg make two trades. Say one for trouba and another one using forwards to get a d man. Maybe they figure out something to flip a portion of a deal with another team like toronto into a d man replacement. As for a 1D man we have examples like karlsson hedman burns keith ect...

Because 1st pair defenseman are available so often?
You don't trade Trouba for package.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011

Just making sure before every Leaf fan runs with the narrative, no one claimed Matthews straight up, let's end that before this thread goes to hell.

My personal opinion is if Trouba is traded it won't be for another top pairing young D straight up, makes little sense. IMO if traded it will be for a young elite C (ideally) or a young elite winger+. This will then require the Jets to make another trade or signing for a top 4 guy.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
no not "tooting our own horn" just showing we don't need desperation moves for a dman like the Oilers were forced to make.

Take a look at the teams left in the playoffs.

Ottawa has Karlsson.
Nashville has outstanding D
Ducks have Lindholm/Fowler/Manson/Vats/Montour

Pittsburgh is the one team that's D isn't great, but lets face it...Crosby/Malkin/Kessel/Guentzel are kinda making up for it....and they normally have Letang.

Maybe we don't "need" to make what you call a desperation move (although IMO, landing a stud young 1D is far from desperation), but if you want to go deep, it will take more than signing Alzner or bargain bin shopping.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad