Value of: Jacob Trouba

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
We're talking about replacing a 2D here not some elite 1D

Who played like a top20 defenseman this season, he isn't in his prime yet& is a top pairing defenseman. Those again are constantly available on trades :sarcasm:

You have to have someone you build around the defense, you can't just have #3's or #4's. Trouba is the most valuable piece on that D-group.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Who played like a top20 defenseman this season, he isn't in his prime yet& is a top pairing defenseman. Those again are constantly available on trades :sarcasm:

You have to have someone you build around the defense, you can't just have #3's or #4's. Trouba is the most valuable piece on that D-group.

Actually with the expansion draft coming next month and some teams having to make tough descions on players this offseason is actually the best opportunity to trade for a D man.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
How is Trouba's relationship with his teammates after he asked out? I remember Matthew Perrault, specifically, calling him out for the request

Relationship seems to be fine. Trouba came back from the holdout and performed as the #1 D alongside a rookie. Players are pretty good at separating the business side from the game side.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Don't really know why you're responding to me, but if you think Skjei is that close to Trouba, why on Earth do you want to trade him?

No Jets fans want Trouba traded.

Some are worried that he needs to be.

I would hate the Rangers to trade Skjei. He will be on our top line with McDonagh next year. Any Rangers fan that wants to trade Skjei is really crazy, the potential just oozes from this guy.

Same as Trouba. The guy is/will be a top liner for a long time. These are the players that you cherish not just see as trade bait. He had a good year because he enjoyed his role and if the Jets keep giving him the ice time he wants then he will stay for the long term.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
Much like when he signed the 2-year bridge deal this past summer, I can't wait until Trouba signs a 7- or 8-year deal to finally put these threads to rest. I think he stays.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Much like when he signed the 2-year bridge deal this past summer, I can't wait until Trouba signs a 7- or 8-year deal to finally put these threads to rest. I think he stays.

That would be a hefty raise, but at the same time a deserved one. I can justify that, as Trouba was better off gambling than signing for six or so years. Being stapled to what could be the worst NHL defenseman of the last three years didn't exactly help his growth.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
The trouble with Trouba threads is the Jets fanbase view him as a legit #1 RHD. He is a 23 year old 6'3", 202 lbs (side note I always find it funny we still use feet and pounds), strong, mean, skilled, great skating Dman. By many statistical indicators (iFenwick/60, iCorsi/60, WAR, and Goals above Replacement) he is a top 20 D in the league (nb I am not interpreting the stats). He is the Jets best defenseman. Jets GM has stated they intend to re-sign him and he is part of the core.

Fans of other teams like him but rate him as a #2 guy or just a top 4 guy and point out his holdout and trade demand. As such they think he should be available for less than market price.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
I would hate the Rangers to trade Skjei. He will be on our top line with McDonagh next year. Any Rangers fan that wants to trade Skjei is really crazy, the potential just oozes from this guy.

Same as Trouba. The guy is/will be a top liner for a long time. These are the players that you cherish not just see as trade bait. He had a good year because he enjoyed his role and if the Jets keep giving him the ice time he wants then he will stay for the long term.

Trouba doesn't need potential, though. As Jets fans keep telling you, he's a top defenceman.

The trouble with Trouba threads is the Jets fanbase view him as a legit #1 RHD. He is a 23 year old 6'3", 202 lbs (side note I always find it funny we still use feet and pounds), strong, mean, skilled, great skating Dman. By many statistical indicators (iFenwick/60, iCorsi/60, WAR, and Goals above Replacement) he is a top 20 D in the league (nb I am not interpreting the stats). He is the Jets best defenseman. Jets GM has stated they intend to re-sign him and he is part of the core.

Fans of other teams like him but rate him as a #2 guy or just a top 4 guy and point out his holdout and trade demand. As such they think he should be available for less than market price.

Good evaluation.

Again, I'm pretty sick of this.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Actually with the expansion draft coming next month and some teams having to make tough descions on players this offseason is actually the best opportunity to trade for a D man.

Yes for a D-man, but not for a 1st pairing. Which Trouba is and has a #1D ceiling.
You're suggesting to downgrade on Trouba, from 1st pair to 2nd.

That's not going to improve the Jets.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

Barring a surprising trade of Myers or Trouba, or Toby waiving......Jets can easily afford to protect 4 D and lose a bottom 6 forward. We have enough forward depth to absorb that

Flyerfan52

May 3, 2012
Winnipeg
Well first of all I never said a trade with the leafs would be a straight up 1 for 1 and also why couldn't Winnipeg make two trades. Say one for trouba and another one using forwards to get a d man. Maybe they figure out something to flip a portion of a deal with another team like toronto into a d man replacement. As for a 1D man we have examples like karlsson hedman burns keith ect...
These are examples of real 1 d men and trouba is not in this category.
That's a great idea! Trade what the Jets need for other parts in hopes that those parts can be added to current assets to replace Trouba.
The equal would be the Jets trading a bunch of youth/picks for Matthews & after Shannahan sorts through them to keep some & add others to parts he can lose trade for McDavid or the like to replace Matthews.
To the disappointment of Leafs fans everywhere there aren't 30 other GMs making improving TML their priority. :shakehead

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Honestly there's no one I'd have untouchable for Trouba from the Sharks. Name your price.

Probably no fits between us two. Couture would be sick, but for over six per year... that's too much for us to pay. Vlasic would probably bolt immediately as an UFA in 2018. Those are the two guys who interest me the most.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad