Prospect Info: Jacob De La Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
If you actually have desire as a hockey player regardless of talent, should it be visible? I do not see a whole lot of desire from DLR, if you do not have scoring talent, do something else to be noticed because you only have a very limited shot because someone else is often waiting. He is a big man with decent speed, crash the net for god sakes, watch a guy like Gallagher and try and do that, do something just don't be another casper, we have plenty of those.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
You come on these boards to say that every single one of our prospects is/will be a bust, no wonder you get one or two right once in a while.

Anyway, I still believe DLR can be a good 3rd line C in the league. He's still got time.
Patently untrue. I've been big on Sergy, Beaulieu, Sherback and so on. I was really big and supportive of Tinordi and Louis Leblanc as well. The DLR situation is rather special because I was criticizing his development not his drafting. He's regressed, and fiercely so.

Retroactive drafting is the lowest level of posting on these boards.
I disagree. ^

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
If you actually have desire as a hockey player regardless of talent, should it be visible? I do not see a whole lot of desire from DLR, if you do not have scoring talent, do something else to be noticed because you only have a very limited shot because someone else is often waiting. He is a big man with decent speed, crash the net for god sakes, watch a guy like Gallagher and try and do that, do something just don't be another casper, we have plenty of those.

Agreed, the guy has the tools to be an effective player despite his lack of offensive talent, but he lacks the gumption to make an impact. I still think he'll make an NHL team sooner or later at least as a 4th liner.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I think people who argue that DLR should have been used in an offensive role in the AHL have a point. No doubt that his physical and defensive game were ready. These didn't really need improve (yes, yes, you should always improve, but I'm speaking in relative terms here). His offense game was his biggest drawback and he wasn't going to develop it playing in a defensive role and an nhl 3rd or 4th line. As a result, his long-term career is in question.

No doubt he can play on an nhl 4th line. However, he and a boatload of others can as well. In order to secure a spot over and above those boatload of players, he needs to offer a little bit to be a core 4th/3rd line player like Marcus Kruger. Otherwise he's a 13th forward.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
I think people who argue that DLR should have been used in an offensive role in the AHL have a point. No doubt that his physical and defensive game were ready. These didn't really need improve (yes, yes, you should always improve, but I'm speaking in relative terms here). His offense game was his biggest drawback and he wasn't going to develop it playing in a defensive role and an nhl 3rd or 4th line. As a result, his long-term career is in question.

We are talking about hockey here, not football. Every skater has access to the puck and all 200 feet of ice and chances to make plays/shots in the offensive zone, to show coaches he has some skills.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I don't think there was ever an offensive game to develop. The worst you can say about DLR is that he turned out exactly as advertised at the draft. I didn't really like the pick but if we were shopping for a defensive-minded bottom-sixer at pick 34 or whatever it was, that's basically what we got.

That said, he's only 21. Lots of time, maybe not to develop an offensive game, but to round his game out and turn into a solid NHLer. Even Chipchura turned in almost 500 NHL games played in the end...

Carey Chant

Jul 13, 2007
Toronto
This guy needs a fire lit under his @## to play the game with a sense of urgency. Everything is there...he even can pull off some occasional offence 1 game out of 15 times. He really is a poor man's Lars Eller.

For many pro athlete's it's the motivation to bring it to the next level. Certain guys can "bring it" in the playoffs and many just fade out. Play it like it's going to be your last game is pretty much how you should play every game. Some guys play for the contract then ease off cause they got paid. Other's are just there for the paycheque, wear turtle necks and go through the motions.

De La Rose would have been such a nice name to ring in the rafters when he scores a goal but he truly stinks like something that doesn't smell like Roses at this time. I don't think he can ever "bring it" now, especially with this coach. Probably playing in Sweden for a few years would be better for his career.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
How come it was good for guys like Patteryn, Carr, Beaulieu, Condon, Andrighetto, even Gallagher ?

Pateryn, Carr, and Andrighetto have not established themselves in the NHL.

Condon is a goalie, Lefebvre has nothing to do with the goalie training, and in any case Condon is not succeeding.

Lefebvre has nothing to do with Gallagher. Actually, Gallagher produced at a higher rate in the NHL than in the AHL.

That leaves Beaulieu, who barely improved in 3 seasons in the AHL.

ETA: Are you seriously praising Lefebvre for developing Condon?

Last edited:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

No doubt he can play on an nhl 4th line. However, he and a boatload of others can as well. In order to secure a spot over and above those boatload of players, he needs to offer a little bit to be a core 4th/3rd line player like Marcus Kruger. Otherwise he's a 13th forward.

Well what if there was nothing there to develop? JDLR has never scored 8 goals in his career. Even in Sweden he couldn't get past 7.

What would be the point of putting a guy with no offensive potential on a 1st line? I would rather that a guy like Hudon and Mac get those chances then JDLR.

Guy was never drafted because of his offense. Being great defensively maybe worked in the 70's, but unless you can chip in you will always be a waiver wire player.

He had his chance this pre season to take over some games and he didn't do much. Guys like Mac and Carr stood up and stood out. It's up to JDLR to show the organization that he can take the next step to many other players fighting for his spot. If he doesn't want it enough then Hudon, or Mac, or Scherback, or Audette will quickly jump him.

Jul 6, 2016
Pateryn, Carr, and Andrighetto have not established themselves in the NHL.

Condon is a goalie, Lefebvre has nothing to do with the goalie training, and in any case Condon is not succeeding.

Lefebvre has nothing to do with Gallagher. Actually, Gallagher produced at a higher rate in the NHL than in the AHL.

That leaves Beaulieu, who barely improved in 3 seasons in the AHL.

ETA: Are you seriously praising Lefebvre for developing Condon?

I am not praising him, but I don't bash him for the lack of talent and or willingness-mental strength that Tinordi or Leblanc did not had.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The way DLR reacted to 5'9 Max Domi slapping him around made me want to scream. I am glad that cream puff is off of the roster. Hey MT- Jordan Staal he ain't!

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
While most prospects been having a bad time under Lefebvre, Europeans seem particularly miserable. Part of DLR's alleged appeal was intangibles, he was hyped in Sweden as a natural leader and a physical player. He was supposed to be the poor man's Landeskog.

I'd be curious to see what would happen to him in another organization.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
I wouldn't give up on him just yet. I agree he had a mesurable trainning camp/preseason but he is still only 21 years old.

DLR put up14 points in 34 AHL games last season which Isn't amazing but still something to build on.

I still think he could verry well end up being a good shut down 4th line Center in the NHL that could play on the 3rd line if needed.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Retroactive drafting is the lowest level of posting on these boards.

To be fair, Duclair was a first round talent and every team **** the bed with him at the Draft, not just Montreal.

What hurts the most is that Habs had 5 picks before he was taken and he was a local kid. The jury is still out on Lehkonen but he clearly would have been a better pick than McC, DLR, Fucale and the last but not least, the future superstar, Connor Crisp.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
To be fair, Duclair was a first round talent and every team **** the bed with him at the Draft, not just Montreal.

What hurts the most is that Habs had 5 picks before he was taken and he was a local kid. The jury is still out on Lehkonen but he clearly would have been a better pick than McC, DLR, Fucale and the last but not least, the future superstar, Connor Crisp.

you win some you lose some, but it's too early to say if he ends up being a better pick then McCarron or others since it's not a race it's how they end up in 10 years. It looks like the Habs missed the boat on Duclair, it's going to happen as some kids will peak, others will progress quickly and others will take longer, that said Timmins has shown he knows what he's doing for the most part. The Crisp pick I still wonder if Churla had some say in this one or not. Injuries have made it impossible to even know what we even have.

Still wish the Habs didn't rush DLR but that doesn't mean he can't be a useful NHLer in the next year or two. Fucale I really don't know what to make and fear they went more with need, as it was a major need at the time, I am always against need, you got to go BPA. Lehkonen has the skill, if he can overcome his lack of size, he's going to be a good one. McCarron should be a beast for us at some point. Plus if Price wasn't injured the Habs are likely a top team again, big difference in developing prospects for top teams then teams that suck.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
you win some you lose some, but it's too early to say if he ends up being a better pick then McCarron or others since it's not a race it's how they end up in 10 years. It looks like the Habs missed the boat on Duclair, it's going to happen as some kids will peak, others will progress quickly and others will take longer, that said Timmins has shown he knows what he's doing for the most part. The Crisp pick I still wonder if Churla had some say in this one or not. Injuries have made it impossible to even know what we even have.

Still wish the Habs didn't rush DLR but that doesn't mean he can't be a useful NHLer in the next year or two. Fucale I really don't know what to make and fear they went more with need, as it was a major need at the time, I am always against need, you got to go BPA. Lehkonen has the skill, if he can overcome his lack of size, he's going to be a good one. McCarron should be a beast for us at some point. Plus if Price wasn't injured the Habs are likely a top team again, big difference in developing prospects for top teams then teams that suck.

I disagree with this. It's not just how they end up in ten years. If you can get substantial extra production within a few years of the draft, immediate help, that has value as well. What matters is the total contributed value.

Dulcair has more total contributed value right now. McCarron doesn't need to just be more valuable than Dulcair in 2020 to be the better pick, he needs to be substantially more valuable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad