Prospect Info: Jacob De La Rose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
it's impossible to know if a 18 year old has peaked, or will be ready for the NHL. I didn't say that McCarron doesn't need to just be better, since you seem to like to put words into peoples mouths that aren't there. My point is that it's not a race, in 10 years you have a much clearer picture of what you have. Personally I don't care about the who we should have picked, I only care about who we picked and how they do in terms of helping us win.

When was the last time the Habs had a forward with McCarron's physique? If he can put it to good use, fans in other cities will be muttering to themselves.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
He still has two years before we risk exposing him to waivers. He needs to approach the game like he did the last 6 games of last year in St. John's. He was sniping like a boss!

yeah i've gone on like a broken record about those 3 snipes he had at the end of the year. I thought he really could build on that. Some kids don't have great preseasons. We'll see how he looks on a top 6 in the AHL. Not quite giving up on him but he's really got to show more. Probably still be a really good 4th liner.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I really don't get why some feel this way. Ever since Bergevin took over, he hired and placed more scouts in Quebec. The result? Since his first draft in 2012, Habs have drafted 7 players from the Q out of the 32 picks they've made under his reign. That's about 22% of their draftees coming from the Q.

Since MB has GM'ed 5 drafts, if you look at the Habs previous 5 drafts from 2011 back to 2007, the previous administration had picked 5 players from the Q out of the 34 picks they made in all those years combined. That is 15% of their draftees coming from the Q.

From '07 to '11, the team went from 15% of their picks coming from the Q to 22% of them from '12 to '16. Bergevin promised he will put more focus in our own "backyard" and you can't say he hasn't done this.

Folks need to remember that the Q isn't the only Junior league in the country. We have the USHL and not to mention more eyes on the European circuit as well.

Bergevin's picks from the Q: Hudon, Andrighetto, Fucale, Reway, Gregoire, Audette, and Bourque.

Gainey/Gauthier picks from the Q: Fortier, Dumont, Ellis, Archambault, and Beaulieu.

Interesting, as I don't think about it but clearly they have done a better job drafting out of the Q then in the past, although I would add Leblanc to the Gainey/Gauthier era since he was from Quebec. Plus they picked up guys like St-Denis, Bournival, James Sanford, DD, Cedrick Desjardins, Dany Masse, MAB, Robert Mayer, Maxime Lacroix, Benoit Pouliot, Eric Neilson, Mathieu Darche, Olivier Latendresse, Thomas Beauregard, Peter Delmas and Philippe Lefebvre. So they did bring in some local FA's or undrafted FA's out of the Q assuming all the players I named were signed under Gainey/Goat. I know they appeared in Hamilton between '08 and '11 seasons.

Under MB they have brought in Barberio, Matteau, Alex Belzile, Maxime Macenauer, Stefan Fournier, Jack Nevins, Angelo Miceli, Alexandre Ranger, Jérémie Blain.

In the end I don't have a problem if they go to their backyard more, my only concern is that you don't chop off your foot to save your hand. I just want them to pick the best players and not be pressured into picking ones because of where they are from. I can understand it might sell more tickets and that many fans might prefer to have a local vs someone else but at the end of the day this is the most storied franchise in hockey that hasn't been to a cup finals since '93. It's bad enough they limit themselves in the coaching department so hopefully they just find players that they think can help them win. Guys like Hudon, Ghetto, Reway, Bourque I don't have any problem with picking them where they were picked.

One thing I have always said is why not sign more undrafted kids out of the Q to AHL contracts to play in the ECHL, don't see how it can hurt. Every year they are forced to bring up some ECHL call ups anyway so why not try to see if you can find a hidden gem from a bigger amount of players on AHL deals. I wanted them to sign/re-sign Belzile and Ranger to AHL deals.

When was the last time the Habs had a forward with McCarron's physique? If he can put it to good use, fans in other cities will be muttering to themselves.

not many teams have ever had a forward with McCarron's physique at 18 that could skate and produce offense. I've been a big supporter of McCarron since day 1, I think he's going to be a beast for us, even if it is just as a 3rd or 4th liner. The work he does on the PP in the crease alone is going to be gold for us.

Asamu

Aug 24, 2010
Saguenay
I could see him on the 4th line next year or as a spare forward.

Hey montreal did you just deleted my amazing post =P. I don't think that De La Rose is in the plans of the organization and I would agree that 4th line is his max potential.

His style reminds me of Tom Pyatt: no mistakes but no goals.

Last edited:

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Hey montreal did you just deleted my amazing post =P. I don't think that De La Rose is in the plans of the organization and I would agree that 4th line is his max potential.

The pick always remided me of the Chipchura pick: you don't use such high picks on players who are almost sure to make the NHL, but have no offensive upside.

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
The pick always remided me of the Chipchura pick: you don't use such high picks on players who are almost sure to make the NHL, but have no offensive upside.

I remember DLR being impressive in the juniors the year before he was drafted. He seems to have lost some confidence. Maybe as his physic matures he will get better. We brought him up to early, and it affected his development. But I wouldn't say that all is lost.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

He had some offensive upside when he was drafted. He was solid offensively at the World Juniors when he was captain for Sweden and he wasn't just drafted to be a defensive player, he showed signs of being able to chip in offensively.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
You have to wonder with some young players, is it them or are they trying to play in a way that the organization has instructed them to. I watched DLR in world juniors and he did not look like the same player in a habs jersey.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He had some offensive upside when he was drafted. He was solid offensively at the World Juniors when he was captain for Sweden and he wasn't just drafted to be a defensive player, he showed signs of being able to chip in offensively.

Not really. He was never seen as a guy with offensive upside. Look at this scouting report before he was drafted...

http://thehockeywriters.com/jacob-de-la-rose-the-next-ones-2013-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

The downside with de la Rose is that he’s not an amazing offensive player. For teams that aren’t overly familiar with European hockey and that look entirely at statistical production, he hasn’t been all that impressive numbers-wise, even as a junior player. That said, he’s pretty good at everything that doesn’t directly relate to offensive production, particularly away from the puck.

Scouts rave about his skating and hockey sense, and if de la Rose had more of an offensive bend to his game, he’d likely be bandied about as a first round contender. As it stands, he may still develop an offensive side, but he’s a tremendously valuable role player for Leksands and has a bunch of pro experience at young age. He’s withstood the physical challenges of transitioning from junior to the pro ranks and remained a strong two-way player. With a bit of time to add muscle and adjust to the smaller North American ice, it seems probable that he could do the same for an NHL team.

Scout’s Honour:
“De La Rose had a quality season as an amateur in the SEL-2, especially considering he received little opportunity on the power play. He is an all-around type of forward who can make plays in both ends, and play any of the three forward positions if asked. His best skill is his skating, which one NHL scout described as very good, while another called him an explosive skater. He is a strong, hard-working forward, pressuring defenders well with his speed and physical play. He lays crushing hits on occasion, while showing determination in his own end through his backchecking and shot blocking. He kills penalties effectively, making good reads. However, scouts are divided on De La Rose’s offensive upside.” – Corey Pronman, Hockey Prospectus

“A physical forward with great leadership skills. Will probably never be a big scorer at the pro level, but has some good offensive tools. I see him as a player who could be valuable on your third line, playing against the opponents top players. Is also a good penalty killer.” – Uffe Bodin, Editor-in-chief HockeySverige.se
“de la Rose likes to do things at high speeds and in a more ‘North American’ way than your typical Swede… He’s relentless on the forecheck where he uses his big frame to finish his checks. While his offensive tools are not high end and still need work, he makes up for it with his tremendous two-way game. He manages to set himself apart from the hyper-skilled prospects with his relentless physicality.” – Patrik Hall, Future Considerations European scout

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So it was either determined that this was a ****** draft when centermen of a 3rd line was the best we could do or....we didn't aim at the right target. At that spot, please go with the offensive players yet again. You could find bottom 6 in all of the other rounds.

Jul 6, 2016

Chipchura was way more physical and agressive.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

it's actually against the rules to edit someones post like that. It's minor so I just deleted it cause it used to be a problem a few years back.

I think he's in the Habs plans, I think they like him a lot. I didn't say 4th line is his max potential, cause I don't know what it is since he's been jerked around the lineup between the NHL and AHL as a 19/20 year old and when not dealing with that he's had a few injuries.

He doesn't remind me of Pyatt, who I saw as more of a Bournival, someone with the motor but the lights weren't on. DLR is smart, so good defensively, just needs to find a way to produce some offense, but even if he doesn't I think he'll be an NHLer.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

WJC is bad way to judge prospects. The Jimmy Waite affect. lol I think why Timmins got too over hyped for Collberg also. Why they traded McDo also. He had a terrible WJC

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The talk about JDLR's inability to be equally productive offensively, is similar to those that wanted more offence from Bob Gainey.(Whose excellence in nullifying the best offensive threats in the NHL/World, is legendary as it should be.) The fact Habs teams with Doug Jarvis & Bob Gainey as the primary PK team, won numerous NHL titles & Stanley Cup Championships. Players with JDLR talents should never be underestimated, IMHO!!!...:nod::nod::nod: Add Mike McCarron's defensive acumen to that list also, IMHO.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think a guy like DLR fits into almost any teams bottom 6. He's big, can be fairly physical but he's excellent defensively and quick on his skates

My biggest gripe is he's playing for Sly on the farm and that can't be helping his development. I dare say that if he's not on the team next year, he's pretty much done as a Hab.

AHShadow

Apr 9, 2015
He's been playing a lot better with McCarron and Andrighetto. I say leave him there and let him play in a more offensive role. I don't think he'll ever be a good offensive threat, but he'll be a great shutdown guy for our team down the road. Similar to Marcus Kruger for Chicago.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
The talk about JDLR's inability to be equally productive offensively, is similar to those that wanted more offence from Bob Gainey.(Whose excellence in nullifying the best offensive threats in the NHL/World, is legendary as it should be.) The fact Habs teams with Doug Jarvis & Bob Gainey as the primary PK team, won numerous NHL titles & Stanley Cup Championships. Players with JDLR talents should never be underestimated, IMHO!!!...:nod::nod::nod: Add Mike McCarron's defensive acumen to that list also, IMHO.

...if Jacob de la Rose becomes Bob Gainey defensively, I'll give him a pass on the lack of offense.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
DLR as a dman for us...can it happen? (#6-7dman).
(silly question?!).

We urgently need LEFTIE ''defensive'' dmen (VERY defensively responsible/smart LEFTIE dmen...we don't have many of those).

B.Burns did it (the switch).
Byfuglien did it (from forward to D).
I forget the others who made the switch successfully.

Not a lot of competition (defensively) on the LEFT side:
<regular-season-Markov...yes:) ; playoff-Markov:help::cry::shakehead.
<regular-season-Emelin...ok/yes ; playoff-Emelin...don't trust his defense
<playoff-Beaulieu has the potential for being a playoff warrior (he's gritty, has potential to be mean/hungry in playoffs), but not sure about his defense...yet. (and someone please tell him to practice that shot with LEAD pucks all summer).
<Redmond...need to watch more of him (before assessing).
<Hanley...need to watch more of him ('' '').
<Barberio...get him off the team...we're not winning any Cup with him on our team.

Last edited:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
DLR as a dman for us...can it happen? (#6-7dman).
(silly question?!).

Well, that's an idea. A little out of the box kind of thinking, but who knows? If the guy really has zero offensive upside, might as well try that.

We drafted Markov as a center, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad