Prospect Info: Ives 2021 Draft Final Rankings, Top 96 (3 Rounds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Hey @StevenToddIves, if they miss out on Othmann and miss/skip L’Pew, what later rough in tumble wingers do you recommend? Boucher and Stillman? Anyone else? Besides #1D/RD, a pesky, tough wing who can score is on my wish list.

Great question, especially since the Devils desperately need more physicality, forechecking and net front presence in their top 9.

Here's a list of some forwards with this type of grit who could be available with the #29 pick:
1 Othmann (very unlikely, but possible)
2 L'Heureux (50/50)
3 Chibrikov (40/60)

And here's some players the Devils can reach for in the late first or cross their fingers for in the 2nd round:

1 Boucher
2 Stillman
3 Knies

Here's a list of power forwards you might have a shot for in the 3rd round or later:

1 Janicke (also, perhaps the most Blake Coleman-y player in the 2021 draft, so Devils fans should keep a close eye on him)
2 Huckins
3 Grubbe
4 Winterton
5 Moberg

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Land of Hope & Cups.
Great question, especially since the Devils desperately need more physicality, forechecking and net front presence in their top 9.

Here's a list of some forwards with this type of grit who could be available with the #29 pick:
2 L'Heureux (50/50)
3 Chibrikov (40/60)

And here's some players the Devils can reach for in the late first or cross their fingers for in the 2nd round:

1 Boucher
2 Stillman
3 Knies

Here's a list of power forwards you might have a shot for in the 3rd round or later:

1 Janicke (also, perhaps the most Blake Coleman-y player in the 2021 draft, so Devils fans should keep a close eye on him)
2 Huckins
3 Grubbe
4 Winterton
5 Moberg

Thank you! I like Chibrikov a lot. Forgot about him recently. Physical and fast who also has been a captain.

Reactions: Guadana

aboriginal

lou ****ing sucks
Mar 10, 2006
LV-426
Mo’berg!
Mo’berg!
Mo’berg!

giphy.gif

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
Hey Steven, I was curious if you had any concerns about Kent Johnson’s skating? In Pronmans final rankings, he says Johnson is a below average skater, but I haven’t seen that in the limited viewings I’ve had.

Reactions: StevenToddIves

HobokenIrish

May 3, 2011
Charlotte, NC

2 L'Heureux (50/50)
3 Chibrikov (40/60)

1 Boucher
2 Stillman
3 Knies

2 Huckins
3 Grubbe
4 Winterton
5 Moberg

STI, when will the last mock draft be "dropping" as the kids say?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Hey Steven, I was curious if you had any concerns about Kent Johnson’s skating? In Pronmans final rankings, he says Johnson is a below average skater, but I haven’t seen that in the limited viewings I’ve had.

I disagree with Pronman's very cautious way of viewing prospects. I'm a bit more of an optimist. He tends to worry about overselling prospects in general, whereas I worry about underselling them. Kent Johnson is no different. I think his skating is good enough for him to be a top line winger in the NHL, especially considering his extremely high end puckhandling, passing and shooting. I'd rate him as an "above average" skater, which may inhibit his effectiveness in transition, but will not diminish his significant talents once he is rooted in the offensive zone.

longislanddevil

Jun 16, 2011
L’Heureux is a player I’d take a chance on at 29 whereas I’d be more inclined to avoid if the Devils were picking 19 or 20. From all accounts, he has some scoring upside, serious snarl and physical presence the Devils lack. The question is whether he can be coached up to not go over the edge or simply learn to pick his spots without crossing the line. I don’t have the answer but at 29, I’d take a shot.

Very disappointed our pick fell as I wanted Othmann or Rosen. @StevenToddIves I read other posts from you in which you advocate for this kid and would not be surprised if he winds up the top scorer in this draft class….that he could fall due to superficial reasons. What do you think are the chances he’s there for the Devils at 29? Same question for Pinelli. I think both would be just outstanding values. As for Pinelli, because of the unique circumstances of the season….I can’t help but wonder if he’s being slept on…read somewhere at one time he was a projected top 10 pick.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
L’Heureux is a player I’d take a chance on at 29 whereas I’d be more inclined to avoid if the Devils were picking 19 or 20. From all accounts, he has some scoring upside, serious snarl and physical presence the Devils lack. The question is whether he can be coached up to not go over the edge or simply learn to pick his spots without crossing the line. I don’t have the answer but at 29, I’d take a shot.

Very disappointed our pick fell as I wanted Othmann or Rosen. @StevenToddIves I read other posts from you in which you advocate for this kid and would not be surprised if he winds up the top scorer in this draft class….that he could fall due to superficial reasons. What do you think are the chances he’s there for the Devils at 29? Same question for Pinelli. I think both would be just outstanding values. As for Pinelli, because of the unique circumstances of the season….I can’t help but wonder if he’s being slept on…read somewhere at one time he was a projected top 10 pick.

Both Pinelli and L'Heureux are possibilities at #29. Both would be terrific picks at that spot, in my opinion. I don't see a lot of risk with Pinelli, I just see an outstanding, high-compete center with offensive upside who did not get to strut his abilities in his draft-eligible season. I feel he is a strong bet to become a legit #2 center at the NHL level, but at the very least I see him as a #3.

L'Heureux is even more difficult to assess, because to be honest he can be very frustrating. Sometimes the penalties (and suspensions) he takes are just mind-bogglingly dumb, while sometimes he seems to lose interest in competing and his game can suffer for extended stretches. But when he is on? A motivated (and disciplined) Zachary L'Heureux is a highly skilled winger with a deadly shot who impacts every shift with his physicality and causes abject chaos for the opposition.

I was not sure I would take a chance on either at #20 overall, especially considering some of the names which still would potentially be on the board like Othmann or Rosen or even Lambos. But at #29? These names will likely be gone, and you still want to grab a forward with high upside, you're going to have to take on a little more risk. I would take either Pinelli or L'Heureux at this spot, especially L'Heureux -- because the Devils need a Tkachuk-like player for their top 6 as desperately as they need a top defenseman. The forwards are too soft, and the Devils have been poor at fighting through physical defense cores to win battles down low.

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013

2 L'Heureux (50/50)
3 Chibrikov (40/60)

With late 1st round pick should take on a little more risk this covid year draft, to target potetial top 6

We need more physicality, forechecking mixed it in a power shooter skilled fwd to be competitive in offseason.

Our previouse top pick forwards are mostly soft & small.
I find Danila Klimovich (RW/C) could fit us with this lack of phisicallity and straith, he's outstanding shooter, and can become another one revelation player from Belarus, like Shara is

Last edited:

Mike27Devils

Apr 24, 2015
Really like what I’m seeing and reading about Matthew Knies. The kid has a sick shot, size at 6’ 3”, is a very good skater, and a very slick puck handler. I think he’s got a shot of sneaking into the top 15.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
With late 1st round pick should take on a little more risk this covid year draft, to target potetial top 6

We need more physicality, forechecking mixed it in a power shooter skilled fwd to be competitive in offseason.

Our previouse top pick forwards are mostly soft & small.
I find Danila Klimovich (RW/C) could fit us with this lack of phisicallity and straith, he's outstanding shooter, and can become another one revelation player from Belarus, like Shara is

Klimovich is a very intriguing draft candidate, but should not be considered by the Devils until the 3rd/4th round, as he is still a bit of a project.

The Belarus prospect who intrigues me the most is actually LD Dmitri Kuzmin, whose combination of speed and puck skill is elite. He's a bit undersized and has a lot to work on defensively, but we're talking about a kid who could likely be had in the 3rd-5th round range with the upside of a first round pick. I would love to see this kid in a Devils uniform.

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Mailloux screwed up for sure. I would not be surprised if he went undrafted in the current sociopolitical climate. It was very poor judgement on his part.
I doubt this. It was very poor judgement and it will likely affect his stock but it’s not close to bad enough for him to completely get passed on in the whole draft IMO. It’s definitely not okay but the reality is that a large number of the kids in the draft have likely done similar or even worse things.

Pretty sure I’ve seen reports too saying that there are teams still perfectly willing to take him and his team in the OHL, the London Knights are standing by him as well. I would honestly be happy if we were able to grab him later because of this.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
I was very excited about Mailloux potentially coming to NJ based on everything I read until this came out. Now I’ll leave it up to Fitz if it’s a deal breaker. It’s gonna take a safe GM that knows how to navigate the social media outrage to take him.

Last edited:

AusDev

Jan 13, 2015
I was very excited about Mailloux potentially coming to NJ based on everything I read until this came out. Now I’ll leave it up to Fitz if it’s a deal breaker. It’s gonna take a safe GM that knows how to navigate the social media outrage to take him.

Stay well away from that and let the proper people deal with that situation. Don't need to get involved in that business.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
D is obviously a massive hole for us that needs to be filled. The only question I have is say someone in the top three picks Edvinsson so it would be Power, Beniers, and Edvinsson. Guenther REALLY intrigues me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00