Prospect Info: Ives 2021 Draft Final Rankings, Top 96 (3 Rounds)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Ives 2021 NHL Final Draft Rankings — Top 96
This is, quite simply, the toughest year to rank prospects — ever. The pandemic left many players out of league, out of playing options and out of sorts. Watching these players has been tougher than any other time in the century.
The 2021 draft is a fascinating set of young NHL hopefuls. The draft is extremely strong and deep at LD and LW, but far thinner at RD and RW. There is no Matthews or Dahlin at the top of the draft — I have seen as many as 6 players ranked #1 overall. Quite frankly, it’s chaos.
But I watch a ton of film and read everything there is to read, and I did my best. I’d like to add my normal notes:
  1. I don’t rank goalies with the players. My goalie rankings are first Wallstedt, then Cossa, then ask someone who knows goalies better than I do.
  2. Please don’t argue why one player is ranked #72 and one is ranked #77. If they’re both in that range, this only means I like both players in that general area. While my order is very specific near the top of the draft, it loosens up some as the draft progresses.
  3. My descriptions will be brief, as I’m writing up three rounds of players, which is a lot of work. If you have more specific questions about players or ranking, I’m always happy to answer them in the comments section.
And, now onto the rankings:
  1. LD Owen Power, University of Michigan NCAA a wildly impressive World Championships shot him to the top of my rankings. Simply put, he’s a rare 6’6 D with terrific skates who projects to a shut-down defender with very good scoring upside — a rare prospect.
  2. C Matthew Beniers, University of Michigan NCAA the top two-way forward in the draft also has the best compete level of the entire class. Add in ideal size and excellent skates; just a stud two-way pivot for many years to come. A potential Selke Trophy candidate who will also score a lot.
  3. RD Brandt Clarke, HC Nove Zamky Slovakia this 6’2 defender is offensively genius. He possesses the best combination of puck-handling, passing and shooting of any D in the entire 2021 class. Though not an elite skater or defender, he is good enough in those respects for his litany of rare offensive talents to shine through at the NHL level.
  4. LW/C William Eklund, Djurgardens SHL just a brilliant player with and without the puck, Eklund can boast the highest hockey IQ in the 2021 class — and he’s also a high-compete kid with excellent scoring upside. As good a bet as any forward in the draft to be a first-line player.
  5. LD Luke Hughes, US-NTDP the fastest skater in the entire 2021 draft is also a 6’3 defender with tremendous puck skills and elite vision. A lot to work on defensively, but one of the youngest 2021 draft eligibles boasts simply tremendous upside. If he puts it all together, he'll be unstoppable.
  6. C Mason McTavish, EHC Olten Switzerland a hard-nosed, old-school center who plays physical, high-compete hockey in all situations on the entire 200-foot ice surface; also a deadly sniper with playmaking skill — average skating is the singular aspect keeping him from the top 5
  7. RW Dylan Guenther, Edmonton WHL this kid excels in literally every aspect of the game of hockey and also possesses high-end scoring ability. Reminds me a lot of Kyle Connor at the same age, who is one of my favorite NHL-ers.
  8. C Chaz Lucius, US-NTDP perhaps the best shooter in the entire class, Lucius is also a fantastic all-around player with no discernible weakness. Like McTavish, improved skating is the only impediment to potential superstardom.
  9. LW/C Kent Johnson, University of Michigan the most offensively dynamic player in the draft is an absolute magician with the puck on his stick — can score in a litany of ways. If he can improve his 200 foot game and skating, potentially the best player in the class a decade down the line.
  10. LW Isak Rosen, Leksands SHL if 10 years down the line, Rosen turned into the top scorer from the 2021 class, I would not be shocked. This speed demon might be the best skating forward in the draft, and combines that with tremendous passing, puck-handling and shooting. Once he fills out his rail-thin frame, the sky is the limit.
  11. C Fyodor Svechkov, Lada Togliatti VHL right there with Beniers for top two-way forward in the 2021 class, Svechkov is unbelievably smart and is under appreciated for his brilliant passing vision, which I have no reluctance to call an elite tool. The takeaway king of the 2021 draft.
  12. RW Fabian Lysell, Lulea SHL right there with Rosen is Lysell, an elite skater and wickedly creative passer with a nose for the net. Almost singlehandedly dismantled Team USA leading Sweden to a huge medal-round victory in the U-18 tournament.
  13. LD Carson Lambos, Winnipeg WHL maybe the most polarizing player in the 2021 draft, count me among his believers. A rough draft-eligible campaign diminished his shine, but this is a huge, fast and skilled kid who possesses the immense two-way upside of a top 5 pick.
  14. C/LW Cole Sillinger, Sioux Falls USHL it’s tough to rank Sillinger out of my top 15, because he’s an old-school big power F who oozes scoring skill. If he improves his below-average skating, his elite shooting and puck-handling abilities could see him bloom into a star, top-line NHL-er.
  15. LW Brennan Othmann, EHC Olten Switzerland a hard-nosed forward with elite sniping ability and a tremendous 200-foot game, Othmann also adds creativity with the puck and an elite hockey IQ to compliment his high compete level.
  16. RW Matthew Coronato, Chicago USHL despite lack of the scout-magnet traits of size/speed, Coronato goes to the “Alex DeBrincat School” of all this kid f—-ing does is score. Watch him prove all the doubters wrong again at the NHL level.
  17. C Francesco Pinelli, HCC Jesenice Slovenia Pinelli might have dropped off some radars due to a cancelled OHL season which forced him to the utterly ignored Slovenian league, but the fact remains he’s an explosive offensive force with a complete game and high-compete level. To me, this is an exciting surefire NHL #2C who might have some #1C upside we missed due to the pandemic.
  18. LD Simon Edvinsson, Vasteras Allvenskan a huge, 6’5 defender with near-elite skating and puck-handling ability, Edvinsson’s true calling cards are physical play and a high compete level. Despite some limitations to his offensive game, Edvinsson’s upside lies as a physical defender who excels in the transition game.
  19. RD Corson Ceulemans, Brooks AJHL a 6’2 offensive-minded defender who skates fantastically, Ceulemans answered many questions whether he can defend and play physically with a stellar U-18 tournament.
  20. LD Stanislav Svozil, HC Kometa Czech maybe my personal favorite player from the 2021 class, Svozil is an incredibly intelligent and hard-working shut-down defender with good size and skates and more offensive ability than people realize, due to a cautious diligence in the defensive zone which prevents him from taking unnecessary risks. He’s a terrific passer with a silky set of hands.
  21. C Mackie Samoskevich, Chicago USHL one of the most fun-to-watch players in the 2021 class, Samoskevich is a wizard with the puck; an elite passer who can bury the puck and plays with extreme intelligence.
  22. C Aatu Raty, Karpat Finland another player who dipped a bit with a rocky draft-eligible campaign, but nothing not to like about a big, fast two-way center who can shoot and pass at a NHL 2nd line level.
  23. LW Zachary L’Heureux, Halifax QMJHL perhaps the most polarizing forward in the draft, when L’Heureux is on his game he is a dominant physical scorer who reminds you of vintage Claude Lemieux or Rick Tocchet. When he’s off his game, he’s either doing something suspension-worthy or seemingly invisible. I’m taking a chance ranking him so high, because I feel that coaching and maturity could make him an NHL star with a rare combination of scoring and sandpaper.
  24. LW Nikita Chibrikov, SKA-St. Petersburg KHL a two-way forward who may lack elite size or skill, but plays with extraordinary compete level, hockey IQ and two-way effort. A future bedrock NHL middle-6 Swiss army knife who should wear a letter on his jersey.
  25. RW Logan Stankoven, Kamloops WHL often left out of the first round despite extraordinary scoring totals and a ferocious two-way game, it’s mostly because he’s just 5’8 and more quick than fast on his skates. But — and I mean this in the best way possible — this kid is an animal. You notice him every single shift.
  26. LW Simon Robertsson, Skelleftea SHL hard-working, two-way forward “shoots as hard as a horse kicks” according to his coach. This gives him top 6 NHL scoring ability with 1PP upside, and his complete game puts his talent floor as at least a very good 3rd liner.
  27. RD Aleksi Heimosalmi, Assat Finland Jr. despite being undersized without elite skating, Heimosalmi has defied the odds to become a complete defenseman who can dazzle with his high-end passing and end-to-end rushes.
  28. RD Jack Bar, Chicago USHL I couldn’t love this kid more — lacking fanfare because a lack of any singular dynamic quality, Bar is simply excellent both offensively and defensively — a 6’2-195 all-purpose stud with very good skates and an elite hockey IQ.
  29. C Zachary Bolduc, Rimouski QMJHL the penultimate NHL 2C combines high-end passing, slick offensive awareness and a phenomenal game — the kid you put out there with one minute left in a one-goal game to either tie it up or hold your lead.
  30. LW Sasha Pastujov, US-NTDP a very hard-to-rank kid — maybe the best passer of the entire 2021 class can also blast the puck and dangle in a phone booth. If he improves his consistency and skating, he could make us all wonder how he did not go in the top 10 someday.
  31. LD Shai Buium, Sioux City USHL the lack of hype on this kid is absolutely criminal. He’s a 6’3-215 physical defenseman who is excellent in his own zone and combines this with near-elite puckhandling and passing ability. If he improves his skating, he has top-pairing NHL potential, it’s that simple. If not? He’s still a stud in your bottom 4 and 2PP unit.
  32. LW Ayrton Martino, Omaha USHL this scintillating playmaker is the god of the give-and-go — he’s a chess player who is always two to three moves ahead of whomever has the unfortunate distinction of having to defend him. He’s also a dynamic skater and perhaps the second-round steal of the 2021 draft.
  33. RW Xavier Bourgault, Shawinigan QMJHL offensively skilled sniper played mostly up the middle in the Q but projects to a top-6 scoring RW at the NHL level. Wherever he plays, he will score a lot of goals.
  34. LD Kirill Kirsanov, SKA-St. Petersburg KHL a 6’1-200 steady-as-they-come defensive stalwart, Kirsanov skates well, thinks the game at a high level and is not afraid to lay out an opposing forward.
  35. RD Logan Mailloux, SK Lejon Hockeyettan also a 6’3-215 defender, Mailloux also is an excellent skater with high-end offensive ability. He was hurt as much as anyone by the lack of an OHL season — a season of dominating in his natural league would have had him in most first round rankings.
  36. C Zach Dean, Gatineau QMJHL tall, rangy center with excellent skating and puckhandling abilities is a true dual threat with high-end passing and scoring, while also being a high-compete player who shines in all three zones
  37. RW Tyler Boucher, US-NTDP ex-NHL Brian’s son is not a goaltender, but rather a 6’1-200 wrecking ball power forward who plays with pace; a future crease-crasher and havoc-maker in an NHL middle-6
  38. RD Vincent Iorio, Brandon WHL this 6’3-195 defender has improved his skating, defensive acumen and play with the puck dramatically in the past two seasons — if he continues his stratospheric development arc, he projects to be a stellar, all-situations 3/4 D who also gets heavy minutes on the PK and the 2PP.
  39. LD Olen Zellweger, Everett WHL what Stankoven is to the 2021 forwards, his 2021 U-18 Team Canada mate Zellweger is to the 2021 defensemen — despite lack of size (5’10-175) or elite speed, Zellweger is just awesome at hockey — he’s rock solid defensively, fears nothing, and is just a dynamic scoring force on the offensive side of the puck.
  40. RD Jake Martin, US-NTDP every year people wonder how elite defensemen like Jake Slavin and Mark Giordano fall to the later rounds, but the answer is easy — because draft pundits pay too much attention to scoring totals for defensive-minded blueliners. All Jake Martin does is play air-tight defense and make outstanding decisions with the puck. He’s a stud who is going to play a ton of tough minutes in the NHL.
  41. LD Anton Olsson, Malmo SHL physical, shut-down defenseman with decent size (6’0-185), very good skates and some intriguing offensive upside; arguably best D for Team Sweden in the 2021 U-18 Tournament.
  42. LD Sean Behrens, US-NTDP it’s undeniably a weird draft year, but what if someone told you the best open-ice hitting defender in the 2021 draft was also just 5’10-175? Behrens is a cannonball on skates, incredibly competitive and also features the offensive skill to one day quarterback an NHL 2PP.
  43. C Red Savage, US-NTDP perhaps the meat-and-potatoes player of the 2021 class, Savage is the prototypical NHL 3C — tough, heady, ferocious on every inch of the ice and a beast in the face-off circle.
  44. RW Chase Stillman, Esbjerg Denmark infuriating power winger hits anything that moves and scores a ton in the dirty areas — an NHL-playoff-type player for your middle six and future fan favorite at the pro level
  45. LW/C Dylan Duke, US-NTDP right there in the meat-and-potatoes conversation is Duke, one of the best forecheckers in the draft and also a kid who has some intriguing scoring upside in addition to his ridiculously competitive two-way game
  46. RW Samu Tuomaala, Karpat Finland Jr. Sniping RW can score from pretty much anywhere in the offensive zone; needs to work a bit on his all-around game but has big-time scoring upside if it all clicks in
  47. LD Dmitri Kuzmin, Dinamo-Molodechno Belarus this is the classic undersized (5’10-175) offensive defenseman, because he’s one of the best skaters in the draft and his hands and offensive skills are absolutely elite. With coaching and development, Kuzmin is a potential game breaker.
  48. RW Matvei Petrov, MHK Krylia Sovetov Moskva MHL one of my favorite late-round sleepers in the draft, Petrov is a deadly sniper with good skates on a 6’2 frame. His lack of big numbers in the MHL have slipped him under the radar, but if there’s a high-scoring Russian diamond in the rough for the 2021 class, I’m betting on Petrov.
  49. LD Evan Nause, Quebec QMJHL terrific defensive defenseman who can play the physical game; also a very good skater who excels on the breakout and in transition.
  50. LD Nolan Allan, Prince Albert WHL bruising physical defenseman who shuts in down in his own end and never loses in the dirty areas; efficient with the puck and plays a mature, mistake-free game despite a penchant for open-ice hitting which takes lesser D-men out of position.
  51. LD Ethan Del Mastro, Mississauga OHL a project D with a ton of “boom” potential — Del Mastro is a 6’4-205 beast who can flatten opponents and flashes dynamic skating abilities of a small, offensive forward. A lot to work on in his puck abilities, but when he’s on his game he shows flashes of a young Dustin Byfuglien.
  52. LW Justin Janicke, US-NTDP perhaps the best forechecker in the entire 2021 class, Janicke mixes elite skating with a furious compete level. He’s one of the younger players in the draft, and if his scoring abilities can develop, he can be a serious steal in the 2nd/3rd round range.
  53. RD Scott Morrow, Shattuck-St. Mary’s USHS mix of size (6’2-195), elite skating and high-end offensive skill is tantalizing, but his lack of any real competition to date or defensive commitment make him a pick without a lot of risk — though there is no denying the potential payoff is humongous.
  54. LW Oskar Olausson, HV71 SHL his combination of size (6’2-180), elite skating and a cannon-blast for a shot has him ranked in most 1st round projections, but his weaknesses in decision-making and puck-distribution give him a good deal of risk. Still, a potential boom pick if he puts it all together.
  55. C Brent Harrison, Koovee Finland Jr. your prototypical middle-6 center, Harrison can contribute on the scoresheet while playing a responsible and smart two-way game. Nothing not to like here.
  56. C Oliver Kapanen, KalPa Finland Jr. unfairly overlooked, Kapanen is a heads-up, two-way center with size (6’1-180), very good offensive skill and NHL bloodlines (Kasperi’s cousin and Sami’s nephew). Projects to a middle 6, all-situations center.
  57. LD Vladislav Lukashevich, Loko Yaroslavl MHL silky smooth with the puck and quick on his skates, the 6’2-160 D actually profiles more as a defensive-minded player once he fills out his reed-thin physique in the weight room.
  58. LD Daniil Chayka, Krasnaya MHL Chayka is often ranked in the first round because of a top-end tool box of size (6’3-185), skating and skill with the puck, but he’ll need to seriously heighten his intensity and consistency to reach his lofty potential.
  59. LW Matthew Knies, Tri-City USHL a skilled puck-handler, passer and shooter who is not afraid to pummel his huge 6’3-205 mass into the crease; Knies is the penultimate “if he improves his skating he could be one of the big draft day steals” player.
  60. LW Tristan Broz, Fargo USHL a very likable player who checks every box in the scouting list, but needs a few years in the NCAA to fine-tune his consistency and overall acuity.
  61. C Wyatt Johnston, Windsor OHL another player whose stock suffered due to the lost OHL season, Johnston strutted his excellent skating and polished two-way game in the Team Canada gold medal victory at the U-18 tourney
  62. LD Luca Munzenberger, Kolner Germany Jr. the most underrated type of player at the draft, Munzenberger is a 6’2-195 defensive bedrock who plays with smarts, physicality and a sneaky good outlet passing game — could fall to the later rounds where he would represent a tremendous steal
  63. RW Dmitri Rashevsky, Dynamo-St. Petersburg VHL passed over in the draft twice, Rashevsky is my top-ranked over-ager for 2021. His shooting and puckhandling are simply elite, and he’s a big kid who can seriously dish the puck as well. If his defense and skating improve, there is big-time top-6 scoring potential at the NHL level here.
  64. LD Jack Peart, Fargo USHL there are defensemen you notice because are good and then there are defensemen you don’t notice because they’re so good — all Peart does is play a smart, two-way game, excelling in transition and playing a smart, positional defensive style which limits mistakes.
  65. LW Sasha Teleguine, Chilliwack BCHL steal alert! Teleguine is one of the best skaters in the entire draft and matches that with high-end offensive skills. Somehow he’s rarely mentioned in top 100 lists, but the upside here is significant if you’re willing to let him develop a few years at the University of Connecticut.
  66. RD Ty Gallagher, US-NTDP a player who gets the most out of his nature-given skills, Gallagher is not dynamic offensively or a true-shut down defender, but he plays with extraordinary intelligence and extreme competence in every facet of the game.
  67. LW William Stromgren, Modo Allvenskan the ability is undeniable — a 6’3 winger who can skate, shoot and dangle — but every time you watch him you leave wishing you’d seen more out of him. Often ranked in the first round, here’s hoping Stromgren puts it all together and proves me wrong.
  68. C/LW Cole Huckins, Acadie Bathurst QMJHL a 6’3-200 north-south old school power center, Huckins crashes creases with reckless abandon and features an intriguing skill set which make him a terrific NHL #3C candidate
  69. C Jayden Grubbe, Red Deer WHL a 6’2 old-school power center who plays with a high motor and strong two-way acuity, Grubbe is another player who could go early because of an easy projection to an NHL #3C role
  70. LD Artyom Grushnikov, Hamilton OHL another player who lost his entire draft-eligible season due to the pandemic, Grushnikov has fallen from the spotlight and now sits in serious steal territory — he’s a 6’2 two-way defender with very good skating and puck skill, and is a player who can really trend upwards once his development re-starts.
  71. C Ryder Korczak, Moose Jaw WHL much smaller than his older brother Kaeden, Ryder is a completely different player except that he shares his brother’s high intensity. A very good skater with intriguing offensive skill and an extremely intelligent and polished two-way game.
  72. LW Ville Koivunen, Karpat Finland Jr. maybe not the biggest kid or the best skater, but Koivunen simply knows how to create scoring opportunities and then to bury them. He was outstanding in the U-18 tournament and represents a player with scoring-line upside for the middle rounds.
  73. LD Aidan Hreschuk, US-NTDP lacks the flashy qualities of size and speed but offers great quality in terms of intelligence, poise and simply being a tremendous, two-way hockey player.
  74. RW Danila Klimovich, Dinamo-Molodechno Belarus Jr. came literally out of nowhere with a stunning performance in the U-18 tournament, Klimovich needs several refinements in his game but whooooo boy that shot will translate to any league in the world.
  75. RD Ryan Ufko, Chicago USHL the fourth player in my rankings from the powerhouse Chicago Steel program, Ufko is undersized and lacks blinding speed but is a clever offense generator and responsible defender
  76. LW Alexander Kisakov, MHK Dynamo Moskva MHL a magician with the puck on his stick, Kisakov has some warts in his overall game and is pretty small, but he plays with a nice compete level and has top-6 NHL scoring potential.
  77. C Peter Reynolds, Saint John QMJHL I really like this young talent, I feel he’s the most unheralded two-way center in the draft. He can skate, he has skill, he’s smart and he works hard. There’s not top-line upside here, but if you’re looking in the later rounds for a middle-6 center candidate, Reynolds is as good as it gets.
  78. LW Prokhor Poltapov, Krasnaya Armiya Moskva MHL quite simply, Poltapov gets your attention because he’s a skilled 6’0 winger who can absolutely fly. Despite the need for a great deal of refinement in his game, a player like this is always worth a flyer in the middle to late rounds.
  79. LW/C Florian Elias, Adler Manheim DEL often overlooked because of a lack of size and top speed, Elias just impresses at every international tournament and held his own in the German men’s league. He’s just a hockey player, oozing awareness and possessing sneaky skill.
  80. C Ryan Winterton, Hamilton OHL a 6’1, two-way center for your bottom-6 who plays with relentless hustle and a bit of an edge, Winterton changes the energy every time he hits the ice.
  81. RW Trevor Wong, Kelowna WHL here we have the typical undersized, under-the-radar forward — Wong can really skate, features high-end skills and seems to play better the bigger the situation.
  82. RW Oliver Nadeau, Shawinigan QMJHL a 6’2-205 power forward who is a handful for opposing defenders, Nadeau is the prototypical “if he improves his skating he’ll make the NHL” big winger prospect.
  83. LW/C Connor Roulette, Seattle WHL this is a very nice player who does everything well except skate. He’s a very good goal-scorer and playmaker with fine two-way acumen, but again the skating will have to improve — if it does, he can be a nice late steal for your middle 6.
  84. LW Sean Tschigerl, Calgary WHL quietly showing remarkable improvements in a season in which it was very difficult for youngsters to develop, Tschigerl is an under-the-radar 6’0-180 winger who skates well, passes well and possessed the goal-scoring acumen to pot 13 goals in 21 games in a very tough WHL.
  85. LW Colton Dach, Saskatoon WHL though he does not have the top-line ability of his older brother Kirby, this does not mean we should discount the intelligence and middle-six skill of Colton, a fine young player in his own right.
  86. LD Jeremy Hanzel, Seattle WHL elusive with the puck and smart without it, Hanzel might have more offensive upside than his stats thus far would indicate — still filling out at 6’0-175 I feel he’s a kid with mid-pairing upside who could be available in the late rounds.
  87. C Jakub Brabenec, HC Kometa Czech want a super-sleeper? One of the youngest players in the entire draft (mid-September 2003 birthday), Brabenec has ideal size, good skates, very good two-way jam in his game and some intriguing offensive upside. Though his scoring numbers were negligible, he was the youngest forward in the Czech men’s league, and I think he has a sneaky ceiling as a middle-six NHL forward.
  88. C/LW Lorenzo Canonica, Shawinigan QMJHL plays with pace and intensity, can really skate and fears nothing. Canonica is almost a prototypical 3rd-line candidate who can create havoc on the forecheck and pop in a few points along the way.
  89. RD Jack Matier, Ottawa OHL a player for Devils fans to know, since he’s a RD playing for the Devils biggest draft pipeline in recent years — Matier is huge (6’3-185) and skates pretty well, his defense is sound and though his offense needs work, this is a kid who could be available in the 4th/5th rounds.
  90. RW Oliver Moberg, AIK Sweden Jr. one of the more impressive Swedish forwards during the U-18 tourney, Moberg plays a high-compete game, his 6’3-190 frame always around the net. He’s a good two-way player with jam.
  91. LD Yaroslav Busygin, Vityazi MHL a meat-and-potatoes, physical defensive defenseman with a nice sense of territoriality and very nice 4-way mobility. Several easily translatable skills for a kid who is likely to be available very late in the draft.
  92. LD Cole Jordan, Moose Jaw WHL a defender with size, skates and puck skills who plays rock solid defensively and contributes to transition with strong passing decisions, there’s nothing not to like here in the middle rounds.
  93. RW Jackson Blake, Chicago USHL the son of Jason Blake is small and not an elite skater, but has every other offensive tool in spades and all the makings of an excellent complimentary producer for your middle six.
  94. RD Brent Johnson, Sioux Falls USHL this is a lightning-quick skater with tremendous offensive ability who is often ranked in the first round because of comparisons to players like Shayne Gostisbehere — however, also like Gostisbehere he struggles mightily with any iota of physicality and all things defense
  95. RW Josh Doan, Chicago USHL another NHL legacy, Sean’s son might lack the top-line upside but he’s a smart player with size and grit who actually skates better than his father at the same age. A very high floor as a 4th line grinder, if his offense develops he could be a middle-six candidate.
  96. RW Kyle Crnkovic, Saskatoon WHL the smallest player on my list, I had to include this 5’6-150 spitfire because he plays with maximum heart, extreme intelligence and eye-popping offensive proclivity. Passed over in the 2020 draft, here’s hoping a team takes a chance on him in 2021.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
thank you!!

i know you were never that high on him, but i'm surprised to see edvinsson so low. seems like scouts are all over the place with him, some think he's a top 5 pick others have him going later in the first.

as always, great work! enjoy your well-earned hibernation

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
thank you!!

i know you were never that high on him, but i'm surprised to see edvinsson so low. seems like scouts are all over the place with him, some think he's a top 5 pick others have him going later in the first.

I'm a fan of Edvinsson -- I think he makes a positive difference whenever he's on the ice. However, I do not see him as a top-10 caliber player, as I don't see a ton of offense there and his defense is still a work in progress.

Were Edvinsson a polished, defensive stud like Jake Sanderson last year? Yes, I'd rank him top 10, despite the lack of high-end passing or shooting ability. I love physical, high-compete, shut-down guys. But he still seems to be too mistake prone defensively for me to have the full confidence necessary to rank him as high as some people have. Simply put, he's all projection, and his play thus far has not warranted a top 10 pick. I'm fine with a player like this later on in the first round, especially when they combine Edvinsson's size and skating, but just not the top 10 -- I want more certainty there.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Asking this question for my Uncle who is a big Canucks fan.

Do you think its possible and or probable that Mason McTavish will still be around when the Canucks pick?

Reactions: StevenToddIves

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I want them all! Pokémon this draft! Thanks STI!

If they go Hughes at #4 would love some Ham & Salami at #28.

That #35 pick looks so tasty right now. Thanks a lot Goose.

Heimosalmi would look very good on a lower pairing alongside a big, mobile, defensive-minded LD like Bahl or Okhoyuk. His outlet passing is outstanding, and he's really terrific and reading open ice and anticipating the defense in transition. Smart kid. I see him as above average defensively with 40-point offensive upside, and excelling in the possession/transition games.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Asking this question for my Uncle who is a big Canucks fan.

Do you think its possible and or probable that Mason McTavish will still be around when the Canucks pick?

Certainly. I feel Columbus will strongly consider McTavish at #5 -- this is a team which has been desperate for a #1 center for many years, and McTavish absolutely offers this type of potential. Also, they play a more physical, positional, intensity-based game than a run-and-gun speed style, and this would fit McTavish to a T. McTavish is a big, old school bruiser, but he's far from just muscle -- this is a heady kid with sublime puck skills who also excels defensively and on the PK.

However, if McTavish gets past Columbus? There is a very strong chance he could slip to 9. Detroit is also a possibility at #6, but they're tough to predict due to a variety of needs and a very shrewd GM. I feel Detroit could take Wallstedt, as Yzerman is not afraid to draft a goalie high and the Wings need one. San Jose is another possibility at #7. I feel the Kings go for defense or Wallstedt, so if McTavish gets past #7, the Canucks will likely get him.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
thank you!!

It’s weird cause looking though a bunch of rankings I’ve seen him pretty far up there, one was at #2 and others in the top 5. Hearing all the stuff about Hughes and Clarke I never even considered him going that high, all that talk of the big 3 defenders has a lot of people blinded it seems. I’ll admit I blew him off just from reading stuff on here and never considered him at our pick but it will be interesting to see where he goes. I wouldn’t be disappointed if we take him.

Nico Hughes

Jun 28, 2021
Im up for grabbing a German prospect or two

Not to generalize but their development programs over there have been pumping out some talents in the last decade. Last year (I think?) I was a fan of one who went mid-20s, had a three part name thats slipping my mind right now. I liked him a lot.

HughJazz3dg

Jun 27, 2011
Thank you for this! Kirsanov is one of my favourite defenders in this draft. Do you feel Larsson is a good comparable for his skill set?

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
If we take D at #4, which I think we will, I am hoping one of L'Heureaux or Othmann will be available at pick #29.

I think either player is a perfect complement to our skilled forwards. We need more sandpaper in our top 6 forwards. And I especially like L'Heaureaux potential to be a new Pepe for us.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
If we take D at #4, which I think we will, I am hoping one of L'Heureaux or Othmann will be available at pick #29.

I think either player is a perfect complement to our skilled forwards. We need more sandpaper in our top 6 forwards. And I especially like L'Heaureaux potential to be a new Pepe for us.

Tyler Boucher seems to be the meanest SOB in this draft who draws comparisons to Tom Wilson. He might be what we need.

"There’s no player more physical in the draft class. Sometimes, it’s a small nudge, an extra cross-check, or a smart play to cut off the hands. There’s also plenty of bone-crushing hits along the boards. His physical game is insane. Perfectly balancing scoring and supporting positioning, he’s always a passing option. He’s also a crafty shooter, shooting under defenders’ sticks or changing the angle. "-EliteProspects 2021 NHL Draft Guide

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Hey @StevenToddIves thanks so much fir all your hard work and it’s really great you share this with us. It’s always interesting to see how these young players present to someone looking for what they can be in five or more years. As an aside, I’ll suggest that there are right handed defense prospects that look like good choices at every pick NJ will make. While I don’t expect the team to take more than two or three at most I hope a couple of guys like Bar and Iorio or Martin make it to NJ’s picks in the second and third round. Like you I think defenders need to defend and maybe they can develop decent offense but even just being able to move the puck out of the defensive zone with a decent pass can he enough. This could be a great draft for NJ.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Mallioux seems intriguing for the Isles pick, bizarre resume from the COVID shutdown of the OHL. Feels like some OHL guy that would have exploded in their draft year on "earth 2" is gonna get taken way too late given there was no season this year. Can't imagine how hard it must be at 17 to go halfway around the world and play pro hockey with grown men without even knowing the local language (I assume).

Logan Mailloux at eliteprospects.com

Reactions: AusDev and My3Sons

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
It’s weird cause looking though a bunch of rankings I’ve seen him pretty far up there, one was at #2 and others in the top 5. Hearing all the stuff about Hughes and Clarke I never even considered him going that high, all that talk of the big 3 defenders has a lot of people blinded it seems. I’ll admit I blew him off just from reading stuff on here and never considered him at our pick but it will be interesting to see where he goes. I wouldn’t be disappointed if we take him.

I don't base my rankings on the consensus whatsoever, so I'm not affected by how other people rank Edvinsson. Last year I had a defenseman in my top 20 range in Brock Faber who wasn't in most peoples' top 50 rankings. The last thing I was worried about is that other people had missed on Faber -- I just ran out of players to rank ahead of him.

With Edvinsson, it was the opposite. I didn't think of it as "well, he's the 18th best prospect" so much as I thought of it as "would I draft him over ahead of this guy? No. Would I draft him ahead of this guy? No." When I ran out of guys whom I would draft ahead of Edvinsson, that's where he wound up being ranked.

I would be admittedly quite disappointed if the Devils took Edvinsson at #4. Though I am a huge fan of physical & competitive defensive-minded defensemen, I feel #4 overall is very high to take them, and I don't feel there is a huge difference in projectable ability between Edvinsson and a player like Kirill Kirsanov or Anton Olsson, one of whom the Devils could likely get in the second round for LD. To me, any of the three projects as a second-pairing, mobile shut-down defender with physicality -- I just don't see Kirsanov or Olsson being quite as fast or physical, so I have them ranked a bit lower.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you for this! Kirsanov is one of my favourite defenders in this draft. Do you feel Larsson is a good comparable for his skill set?

Yes, I do. I feel Kirsanov can be your very mobile, rock solid 2nd pairing left defender for years to come. He's mobile and very, very smart and efficient in his puck decisions. He plays a very competitive and advanced defensive game with a nice level of physicality. He blocks shots and clears creases. There is a lot to like about Kirill Kirsanov, and I feel he could be available with the Islanders pick in the late 2nd round.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Im up for grabbing a German prospect or two

Not to generalize but their development programs over there have been pumping out some talents in the last decade. Last year (I think?) I was a fan of one who went mid-20s, had a three part name thats slipping my mind right now. I liked him a lot.

Considering the success of the German program over recent years, I'm a bit shocked that Luca Munzenberger and Florian Elias have been completely ignored by many draft pundits. The good news is that this makes them possibilities as late as the 5th/6th/7th rounds, and either player would represent a potential earth-shaking steal there.

P.S.
The player you're thinking of is -- I believe -- JJ Peterka, whom the Buffalo Sabres took early in the 2nd round. In a 2020 re-draft, Peterka looks like a very good pick and would likely go higher, probably somewhere in the 20s.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Considering the success of the German program over recent years, I'm a bit shocked that Luca Munzenberger and Florian Elias have been completely ignored by many draft pundits. The good news is that this makes them possibilities as late as the 5th/6th/7th rounds, and either player would represent a potential earth-shaking steal there.

P.S.
The player you're thinking of is -- I believe -- JJ Peterka, whom the Buffalo Sabres took early in the 2nd round. In a 2020 re-draft, Peterka looks like a very good pick and would likely go higher, probably somewhere in the 20s.

Elias looked great playing with Stutzle and Peterka at the world juniors. I had completely forgotten about him but he looked like a future NHLer to me.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

I don't think Othmann falls so far. He's the type of player NHL GMs love -- offensively skilled, plays high-compete two-ways, cannon shot, can compliment high-end stars -- and there's no red flags here.

The red flags on L'Heureux (consistency of compete questions + multiple implosion suspensions = sanity questions) could drop him to #29. I'll tell you -- he's certainly a gutsy pick there. But the pay off is potentially huge -- he's the most Matt Tkachuk-like of any player in the 2021 draft when he's on his game.

Would I take L'Heureux at #29 overall? Yes, absolutely. Am I out of my mind for suggesting this? Possibly.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Tyler Boucher seems to be the meanest SOB in this draft who draws comparisons to Tom Wilson. He might be what we need.

"There’s no player more physical in the draft class. Sometimes, it’s a small nudge, an extra cross-check, or a smart play to cut off the hands. There’s also plenty of bone-crushing hits along the boards. His physical game is insane. Perfectly balancing scoring and supporting positioning, he’s always a passing option. He’s also a crafty shooter, shooting under defenders’ sticks or changing the angle. "-EliteProspects 2021 NHL Draft Guide

I am really high on Tyler Boucher. I'm not sure I take him at #29, simply because there will likely be a player or two from my top 20 to slip through. But he could be available with the Devils 2nd round pick, and I would love to snatch him up there. There is no question the Devils need more physical forwards with more net-front presence and the ability to create forechecking havoc. Boucher is exactly this.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Mallioux seems intriguing for the Isles pick, bizarre resume from the COVID shutdown of the OHL. Feels like some OHL guy that would have exploded in their draft year on "earth 2" is gonna get taken way too late given there was no season this year. Can't imagine how hard it must be at 17 to go halfway around the world and play pro hockey with grown men without even knowing the local language (I assume).

Logan Mailloux at eliteprospects.com

6'3-215 with a big shot, great skates and an offensive-first instinct while also being good (and physical) defensively, Logan Mailloux has to be intriguing to Devils fans, especially considering the organizational dearth at RD.

I'll tell you what -- he was as hard as anyone to rank, due to his sitting out his draft eligible season due to Covid. Could he be better than big defensemen taken in the middle of the first round? I don't know, maybe. Am I over-hyping him because of his insanely rare physical tool kit? I don't know, maybe. This pandemic has seriously made draft ranking volatile this year.

Where do you draft Logan Mailloux? I guess wherever you can't not draft him anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad