Prospect Info: Its all about Mitch Marner now thread !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Wish we had a guy like Albert !!

Love the reference, although it will likely predate most here.

It appears Mitch is our Albert now, first discovered in kindergarten. :)

There are highlight reel youtube vids of Mitch at 10.

I really hope someone dubs his mom screaming "woo!" after every goal into his NHL highlight packages.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Everyone keeps giving Marner the Kane style comparison but i watched a Briere tribute video today and after seeing that i would say he looks exactly like Briere but with Gilmour's energy

Jul 10, 2003
KW
LMAO wow look at him go at age 4!!! This is unreal. He was dancing around other plays before he could even put together a full sentence. Crazy.

I love seeing this.

I know right!!! Kid could play hockey before he could talk. Can't believe the moves and the smarts at such a young age. ACC1224 nailed it.

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Everyone keeps giving Marner the Kane style comparison but i watched a Briere tribute video today and after seeing that i would say he looks exactly like Briere but with Gilmour's energy
Marner plays a complete game. Those comparisons to Kane has a lot to do with his shiftiness, stickhandling and playmaking prowess. I am not sure if he's as "natural" on the offensive end as Kane ( doubt even #1 Crosby is IMO), but he's pretty damn elite.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
His 8.5D ranking is pretty terrible

Yeah I feel like Marner should be a 9D. Strome at 8.5C and Marner at 9D would fall in line with what everyone thinks. Strome should become a borderline elite first line centre threat. Marner has slightly higher potential to be an elite player capable of playing in all situations.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Yeah I feel like Marner should be a 9D. Strome at 8.5C and Marner at 9D would fall in line with what everyone thinks. Strome should become a borderline elite first line centre threat. Marner has slightly higher potential to be an elite player capable of playing in all situations.

Yup I agree. With Strome as an 8.5C and Hanifin as an 8.0B, Marner should be a 9C or 8.5B. An 8.5D implies that he could range from between an elite talent/first line player and a 2nd/3rd line tweener. That lower range is what is stupid. Show me a guy who was drafted with Marner's skill and production that fell to a 3rd/4th line tweener. I don't think our terrible ranker could

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Marner has been training this week with Dvorak in Oshawa. The gap between these two players is now pretty wide.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Yup I agree. With Strome as an 8.5C and Hanifin as an 8.0B, Marner should be a 9C or 8.5B. An 8.5D implies that he could range from between an elite talent/first line player and a 2nd/3rd line tweener. That lower range is what is stupid. Show me a guy who was drafted with Marner's skill and production that fell to a 3rd/4th line tweener. I don't think our terrible ranker could

Probably will be an 8.5B IMO doubt they give him 9C status

EDIT: haha 8.5D confirmed eh? Typical HF. I take it as a compliment given our following on HF and their need to lower our prospect potential ;) If they rated him a 9C there would be endless debates ahah

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Marner has been training this week with Dvorak in Oshawa. The gap between these two players is now pretty wide.

Any chance you could share anymore details (if available) on this? I'm interested to hear how Marner looks!

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Any chance you could share anymore details (if available) on this? I'm interested to hear how Marner looks!

That's really about all I was told. Lots of one on one drills and that Marner has really widen the gap between himself and Dvorak.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That's really about all I was told. Lots of one on one drills and that Marner has really widen the gap between himself and Dvorak.

You can really see the jump in these elite players from 17-18-19-20. One year makes a lot more difference then we all realize. Plus I think it helps that once these guys are drafted they are getting access to an NHL teams resources.

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
It was around 2003 when I was first told Marner would be a 1st round pick.
He certainly hasn't "come out of nowhere".

Probably would have been when he was 8 playing a year up as GTHL AAA starts at Minor Atom (9).

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
like others have said , the GTHL is a small community and the top players are well known but not all the top kids at 9/10 are still at the top at 14/15

projecting a NHL first rounder at a very young age from simply watching one league is foolish

Might be one league, but it is probably the most competitive & they all intertwine with each other in the various big tournaments, like the Marlies Christmas tournament.

But as you stated, there are lots of projected "sure thing" 9-10 year olds that never play a game in the NHL & never amounted to much in the CHL or NCAA either (if they got there). There are a lot more strike-outs than home runs on the projection front.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto

I also seen them together at the Blue Jay game on Sunday, with Two other guys I'm pretty sure play for London, but not 100%, one I could recognize his face, so that is my assumption.

Nice guys, didn't want to bug them, just said hi, wished them the best and moved on.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Hockey's future is a joke now a days. Awful ratings. Awful website.

EDIT: Where is Korostelev?

Wow, I was wondering what the heck you were talking about.... goto the Leafs HF page, FINALLY updated...... Marner 8.5D, kinda what I thought, except for C.

Dermott 7.0C, with Harrington a 7.0B is disgusting. :help:

**EDIT** Also funny that guys drafted in the 5th rounds are equal to Dermott.

Christian Jaros 18th pick of the 5th round. 7.0C.... REALLY? Guy had ONE assist in 25 games in the SHL = Dermott.

Last edited:

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
HF's rankings have always been amateurish and not worthy of any respect; the sooner more people realize that the better. Thankfully there's more information out there now, and more publications doing prospect rankings, so they're being exposed.

An example of how full of crap they are that some others may have seen: during the OHL playoffs, someone from "HF staff" posted in the Strome thread claiming to have inside information that he was battling an injury, that the truth would come out after the playoffs, and that's why his production fell off. When called out on it after the season ended and Strome said he in fact wasn't injured, the HF guy backpedaled, claimed Strome had "an issue" that wasn't an injury, that it was now now top secret and would never be disclosed. Yeah right, buddy, as if anyone's going to believe that.

So yeah, pretty much the people doing these rankings are just a bunch of fanboys who spend even more time on HF than most of us and formed a little "cool kids" club so they could feel important. I wouldn't mind this at all if they just kept to themselves, but they spread misleading information and try to influence the wider community, so I have zero respect for them.

Shwaguy*

A D rating for Marner makes no sense.

Strome is a bigger risk for being an NHL player than Marner is. Marner and Strome should have both been given 9.0s as well

Nylander should have been upgraded to an 8.5 C

Harrington a 7.0B makes sense, Dermott should be a 7.5C, Kapanen 8.0C, Bracco 8.0D, Brown 7.5C

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
A D rating for Marner makes no sense.

Strome is a bigger risk for being an NHL player than Marner is. Marner and Strome should have both been given 9.0s as well

Nylander should have been upgraded to an 8.5 C

Harrington a 7.0B makes sense, Dermott should be a 7.5C, Kapanen 8.0C, Bracco 8.0D, Brown 7.5C

If you think that's bad, Hanifin is 8.0B. I mean I'm not particularly high on Hanifin but to have his potential as #2 defenseman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad