Prospect Info: Its all about Mitch Marner now thread !

Status
Not open for further replies.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
Not even 9?

Like Top 9?

Well the Leafs are pretty weak on the RW but what would you rather have Mitch Marner do:

A)Play Top 9 minutes on the 2015-2016 Toronto Maple Leafs, currently weighing in at 160lbs and being used almost exclusively as a RW due to his size and lack of high level experience at Centre.

or

B)Play 1C minutes for the London Knights (perennial playoff team) and being basically guaranteed a key role for Team Canada at the WJC.

To me its a no brainer. A player will hardly ever gain a lot of wight DURING the season, but its a lot easier to put on muscle when you're in junior because you're not travelling as much. Nylander added 10-15 pounds during the season, but the AHL schedule and the NHL schedule are different in how the weeks are set up, allowing more gym time. I'd also love to see Marner just absolutely dominate the OHL when playing down the middle. His motor + IQ/Vision + skill set, he's just a 1C in the making but they need to take their time on him, like they promised.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Give Marner one more year in the OHL + let him be on team Canada

This upcoming WJC will be the most exciting for TML fans ever

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Like Top 9?

Well the Leafs are pretty weak on the RW but what would you rather have Mitch Marner do:

A)Play Top 9 minutes on the 2015-2016 Toronto Maple Leafs, currently weighing in at 160lbs and being used almost exclusively as a RW due to his size and lack of high level experience at Centre.

or

B)Play 1C minutes for the London Knights (perennial playoff team) and being basically guaranteed a key role for Team Canada at the WJC.

To me its a no brainer. A player will hardly ever gain a lot of wight DURING the season, but its a lot easier to put on muscle when you're in junior because you're not travelling as much. Nylander added 10-15 pounds during the season, but the AHL schedule and the NHL schedule are different in how the weeks are set up, allowing more gym time. I'd also love to see Marner just absolutely dominate the OHL when playing down the middle. His motor + IQ/Vision + skill set, he's just a 1C in the making but they need to take their time on him, like they promised.

9 games to the taste the NHL then being sent back to London.

Beaninfritz

Aug 27, 2009
I want to see him on the Leafs, but like others have been stating for a while now, it's probably best for him to stay with London for one more year. As well as getting the WJC experience. The Leafs are going to be a mess. They have a lot of 1 year contracts they're running through this season, and we're still not sure who's going to be considered the core of this team.

Plus, he still is on the light side, so him being able to put on even a meager 5 lbs. during the season due to a lighter schedule would be a huge help for him.

But as far as the 16-17 season is concerned, he's on the team. No doubt about it. And hopefully Rogers will drop the price of their hd pvr boxes by then, so I'm not paying an arm and a leg to see the magician work his magic.

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
2016/17 season we'll have Nylander, Marner, Kapanen, and Matthews/Chychrun all on the team :amazed:

horner

May 22, 2007
This upcoming season and is about setting the course for our future.
Any player from this draft including Marner will pt of the big club in 2017-2018 season.
2015-2016
The team we have now. After the deadline we will see some of the Marlies get a taste.
2016-2017
The future begins
Nylander, Kapanen, Brown, Johnson, Loov, Percy, Gauthier and Harrington.
2017-2018
Marner and Chychrum ( Dream pk )

IWD

May 28, 2003
Visit site
I'd prefer to see Marner stay in the OHL. He's still a kid, and the idea of kids in the NHL makes me nervous.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Even the Leafs management see him back with London and likely leading Team Canada in December.

We'll see how he does in camp though. Nylander looked really good in exhibition games and was still "cut". So even if Marner looks good, it doesn't mean the Leafs will keep him.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Mitch might be talented but he is not pro expierenced. I think since he has to go back to junior or nhl that getting some pro game action to the tune of nine games should be a absolute.

I would like to see him get that expierence and then go back to london. Maybe he shows ready and then its interesting. I don't think he would be ready though.

So give him the expierence and send him back to develope would be awesome for him i think.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I love the WJC and with Marner expected to be there and be a big part in the teams success it will make it even more interesting.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I love the WJC and with Marner expected to be there and be a big part in the teams success it will make it even more interesting.

We have...

Marner (Canada)
Bracco (USA)
Dzierkels (Latvia)
Timashov (potentially, he was invited to the Swedish camp)

So could be a nice turn out for the Leafs at the WJC.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
We have...

Marner (Canada)
Bracco (USA)
Dzierkels (Latvia)

Nylander will likely play for Sweden and Kapanen on Finland as well. Dermott could also have a chance at cracking the Canada roster.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Nylander will likely play for Sweden and Kapanen on Finland as well. Dermott could also have a chance at cracking the Canada roster.

It's doubtful that either are released to go though. They may very well be huge contributors to the Marlies this season, perhaps even the Leafs if it comes to that.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
We have...

Marner (Canada)
Bracco (USA)
Dzierkels (Latvia)

Kapanen and Nylander too.

I can't see the Leafs not releasing them for this tourney. The focal point of the Marlies will be development so I don't think they'll worry about losses. The WJC is big stage where prospects represent their countries. Sounds like a good developmental opportunity to me.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto

2003 would have to be some pretty solid competition for that. We had 5 prospects on Team Canada alone.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

You don't typically see pro teams release their players for that tournament, especially if they already played in it, but it is possible, technically Nylander could go back, but I just see Nylander and Kapanen sticking with the Marlies.

Ottawa didn't release Zibanijad for it even though he was struggling in the AHL, but they did let Lazar go. Zibby had already played in it though, but don't think Lazar had gotten that experience yet.

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
It's doubtful that either are released to go though. They may very well be huge contributors to the Marlies this season, perhaps even the Leafs if it comes to that.
I think they'll go. I see management seeing it as a valuable learning experience before them, especially as both will be key players on their respective teams and will be seen as leaders. Losing a few guys for a few weeks isn't a huge deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad