Prospect Info: Its all about Mitch Marner now thread !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You better not be here in 3 years. I've bookmarked so many of your post :laugh:.

Marner will make you looks absolutely silly. I suggest making a new account and dropping this one when Marner breaks out because to be quite frank, there's enough material to embarrass you for a while.

to be fair - Hanifin (the poster) has a point
If [if] Hanifin (the player) becomes a stud, and Marner is fair to midling, poop would totally, seriously hit the fan.

heck - I can tell with some players if Hanifin has a good first three years and Marner is slower to start people will be screaming bust.

now, I personally don't believe that (I never do without a lot of time to make a judgement like that, Im always relatively optimistic about our prospects, but people have been betting against this kid since he was 4 and here he is. I don't expect that to change now.

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
to be fair - Hanifin (the poster) has a point
If [if] Hanifin (the player) becomes a stud, and Marner is fair to midling, poop would totally, seriously hit the fan.

heck - I can tell with some players if Hanifin has a good first three years and Marner is slower to start people will be screaming bust.

now, I personally don't believe that (I never do without a lot of time to make a judgement like that, Im always relatively optimistic about our prospects, but people have been betting against this kid since he was 4 and here he is. I don't expect that to change now.

Then he can take his hypothetical opinion and go elsewhere with it. None of us have any ****ing clue what's going to happen in the next 3 years regarding Hanifin vs Marner.

If he actually has this supposed Drew Doughty upside that I've seen some posters rave about, I highly doubt Hunter & co pass on him. He doesn't, most defensemen taken in the top-5 are usually ones that have shown incredible offensive ability. There have been some question marks around Hanifin's offensive upside, he could just as easily turn out to be another Erik Johnson.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Then he can take his hypothetical opinion and go elsewhere with it. None of us have any ****ing clue what's going to happen in the next 3 years regarding Hanifin vs Marner.

If he actually has this supposed Drew Doughty upside I highly doubt Hunter & co pass on him. He doesn't, most defensemen taken in the top-5 are usually ones that have shown incredible offensive ability. There have been some question marks around Hanifin's offensive upside, he could just as easily turn out to be another Erik Johnson.

:laugh: i meant people. but yeah.

well that's what i mean. it's sort of how like people are screaming Drouin is a bust because out of the top five he's the only non-regular. but it doesn't mean that, it just means he hasn't gotten going yet. we don't know.

and I agree. if Hanifin was this big amazeballs defenseman then Hunter wouldn't have passed by him. Neither would Arizona quite frankly because they weren't in the position to draft for position either.

i don't think anyone has to blow air up Marner's parachutte, I believe the things he's accomplished + everything that has been stated by respected people in the profession that's trained NHL elite, flat out said Marner's done it better and earlier than anyone else. I don't see that potential blowing out now.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
:laugh: i meant people. but yeah.

well that's what i mean. it's sort of how like people are screaming Drouin is a bust because out of the top five he's the only non-regular. but it doesn't mean that, it just means he hasn't gotten going yet. we don't know.

and I agree. if Hanifin was this big amazeballs defenseman then Hunter wouldn't have passed by him. Neither would Arizona quite frankly because they weren't in the position to draft for position either.

i don't think anyone has to blow air up Marner's parachutte, I believe the things he's accomplished + everything that has been stated by respected people in the profession that's trained NHL elite, flat out said Marner's done it better and earlier than anyone else. I don't see that potential blowing out now.
I think judging Hanifin based solely on two teams passing on him is a tricky business (considering the top two...it really was only two teams). Of course Arizona drafted for need, it was expected that they would. They felt they needed a skilled and big center and they got that. Plus they need to put people in the seats and there is the slower development of Dmen to consider. Plus he went 5th overall in a darn good draft....I still think that qualifies as being rated "amazingballs."

Just because we passed on the guy doesn't mean we need to downplay him :laugh:. Marner is good enough to stand on his own. After all draft ranking doesn't mean much other than who has which guy. Think people could make powerful arguments for Marner being the better prospect between him and Strome.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I think judging Hanifin based solely on two teams passing on him is a tricky business (considering the top two...it really was only two teams). Of course Arizona drafted for need, it was expected that they would. They felt they needed a skilled and big center and they got that. Plus they need to put people in the seats and there is the slower development of Dmen to consider. Plus he went 5th overall in a darn good draft....I still think that qualifies as being rated "amazingballs."

Just because we passed on the guy doesn't mean we need to downplay him :laugh:. Marner is good enough to stand on his own. After all draft ranking doesn't mean much other than who has which guy. Think people could make powerful arguments for Marner being the better prospect between him and Strome.

he did. and that's not my intention. like I said - Marner doesn't need me to blow air up his parachute, he's good.

all I mean is the Leafs wanted to hit a massive home run here.
if Hanifin was that guy for them (and the Leafs have been practising patience so his slow development shouldn't have/wouldn't have been an issue), he would have been drafted.

but this is mitch's thread so i'll leave it there.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
dam marner is too good for OHL, cant believe he has to go back, should be in the A developing chemistry with nylander kapanen brown and gauthier

The_Chosen_One

Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne, Australia

The differences between the three aren't that huge. Hanifin still possesses those qualities that many have detailed here. I could even see him winning out in relation to big Strome.

What's interesting about Marner is his underrated defensive game. He's elite offensive but is so well rounded to boot. I could see him being our ROR but with far more impact offensively. That's a really special player.

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
Been thinking hard of a good player comparison for Marner after finally watching him play I think he could be similar to Yzerman. Would be awesome if he was a career leaf, such a rarity these days.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Been thinking hard of a good player comparison for Marner after finally watching him play I think he could be similar to Yzerman. Would be awesome if he was a career leaf, such a rarity these days.

For me its Giroux. Ive seen it for a while now.

An Yzerman like career would be acceptable I guess though :sarcasm:

RoyalGremlin

The future is now.
Jun 19, 2007
For me its Giroux. Ive seen it for a while now.

An Yzerman like career would be acceptable I guess though :sarcasm:

I kind of like how Stevie Y was also drafted 4th overall. I haven't seen too muh of Giroux but I guess he's a good modern day comparison.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
Marner is way more like Yzerman - has the grit too - but Nylander looks a lot like Giroux with that breakaway speed, hard shot, and wicked dekes.

Haven't decided who Kapanen or Brown looks like yet but what a nice crop of youngsters we have coming.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
In the 2003 draft, also considered one of the best drafts ever, Nikolai Zherdev was taken 4th overall, he was also a RW and considered a can't miss prospect. he put up some decent numbers but no one would ever consider him a cornerstone type of player. Marner sort of came from nowhere, he wasn't recognized as a potential high choice until this last year, Zherdev had been on the radar for a few years.

Drafting is such an imprecise art so let's hope TO has struck it rich.

highslot

Jul 10, 2012
also, bracco and johnson. bracco, i rate above kapanen, so it will be fun to see who reaches their potential.

my top 10 forwards are:

1. marner
2. nylander
3. bracco
4. kapanen
5. johnson
6. brown
7. timashov
8. gauthier
9. dzierkals
10. leipsic

i believe engvall will have a shot of being our stralberg and not our olden.

we are in great shape because i expect the top 4 to make it to the show, and johnson and brown good shots to be top 9.

of leipsic, leivo, dzierkals, toninato, gauthier, engvall, vesey, joshua , timashov, camenasari (i think he will be our booth if he makes it). i expect at least 2 to make it.

that would mean we could fill at least 4 of our top 6 for sure, and probably at least 1/2 of our bottom six with homegrown.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
In the 2003 draft, also considered one of the best drafts ever, Nikolai Zherdev was taken 4th overall, he was also a RW and considered a can't miss prospect. he put up some decent numbers but no one would ever consider him a cornerstone type of player. Marner sort of came from nowhere, he wasn't recognized as a potential high choice until this last year, Zherdev had been on the radar for a few years.

Is there a point to doing these comparisons to players drafted 10+ years ago except to tell people to temper expectations? I guess?

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
I liked the datsyuk comparison I heard especially after seeing more of his defensive gritty side. Great hands and iq and seems to like taking the puck away from others like pavel too.
I think hanifin is going to be a better than average d man but id have passed on him too.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto

I remember playing hockey with a few guys that were supposed to be shoe-in NHL'ers while playing AAA growing up. A few went onto OHL and college and one went to junior B. The closest any of them got was to AHL (Tyler Cuma) and now he's in Europe playing. I wouldn't worry much about development and how they were rated years before the draft. I would say if he has another great year then we definitely have a gem on our hands

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

Meh. Nick Ebert was recognized as a probable top five pick for a few years leading up to his draft. He went dead last.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010

It's true, drafting someone that looks like a future superstar isn't a guarantee that they become a superstar. Maybe we should all be a bit cautious with the hype.

But I just can't get over how bright the potential is in the pipeline right now. Remember when the top-rated/most-talented prospects Toronto had were guys like Colborne, Frattin, Ross, Stalberg, John Mitchell, Robbie Earl, or even Gamache?

I think between the Steen and Kadri drafts, 7 years apart, the most talented skaters we drafted were Tlusty and Kulemin. Jiri Tlusty burned bright for a few seasons in Carolina as a 2nd liner, but is already potentially out of the league. And Kulemin was always more effort than talent, and also topped out as a 2nd line quality forward.

To see guys like Marner, Nylander and Kapanen in the system now is just such a positive change from the past. So exciting!

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
It's true, drafting someone that looks like a future superstar isn't a guarantee that they become a superstar. Maybe we should all be a bit cautious with the hype.

But I just can't get over how bright the potential is in the pipeline right now. Remember when the top-rated/most-talented prospects Toronto had were guys like Colborne, Frattin, Ross, Stalberg, John Mitchell, Robbie Earl, or even Gamache?

I think between the Steen and Kadri drafts, 7 years apart, the most talented skaters we drafted were Tlusty and Kulemin. Jiri Tlusty burned bright for a few seasons in Carolina as a 2nd liner, but is already potentially out of the league. And Kulemin was always more effort than talent, and also topped out as a 2nd line quality forward.

To see guys like Marner, Nylander and Kapanen in the system now is just such a positive change from the past. So exciting!

Agreed. Looking forward to seeing how these players develop but also future drafts with Hunter in charge.

I really like the shift in focus to a priority on high end skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad