Prospect Info: Its all about Mitch Marner now thread !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm looking forward to seeing the new blood at training camp.

It is pretty normal for the top 3 picks to have a good chance of cracking a NHL line-up every year.

We've even had people here suggest Marner could be as talented as Eichel, no way, no how Eichel isn't on the Sabres.

We've had people suggest Marner would be 1st. overall in drafts without the generational talent in 2015.

My to mention, based on Hunter's post draft comments they'd like him to work in his positioning at t
Centre. I trust Hunter's evaluation.

My bet is most 1st. overall picks make the NHL, because they are so superior to most talents.

And sometimes the author of this post can be a bit of a donkey, so the matches are lit before the powder is dry.

I have no doubt that Marners skill set is transferable to the NHL next year - HOWEVER id rather him spend time building strength and putting on mass - which is better done away from the NHL.

Just because a player could be in the NHL next season doesn't mean he should be.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Even with the Leafs he could go to the WJC, happens quite often.

If he is only getting 4th. line minutes, he should be in the CHL, or SweHL, not sitting on the bench watching.

3rd. line minutes would be fine, with special teams play on the PP.

This is actually probably a pretty decent benchmark for fans to use when discussing whether or not prospects are "ready" for the NHL by the front office's standards.

Would the Leafs release them for the WJC?
If yes, they're probably not the kind of impact players management wants them to be yet, and should have more seasoning in the AHL/CHL.
If no, they're ready for the Big Leagues.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
one thing about being so talented and playing junior...marner danced around and destroyed the ohl already...u dont improve at an elite level playing against weak competition, and u might develop bad tendencies and habits when the game is so easy for you

That's exactly why we don't want him in the OHL. You don't grow at all by playing against children. He's already demonstrated that he's the best player in the OHL outside of McDavid in years. Probably since Stammer or Tavares. He'll only grow if he's pitted against competition that will make him figure new things out.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Gagner put up 2.23 PPG playing on a line with Patrick Kane and 19 year old Sergei Kostitsyn :laugh:

Marner did it with Dvorak (14pts in 33gp in his draft year the year before) and Max Domi.

Much different

I personally wouldn't have given Marner a "D" qualifier.

However smaller players do come with a greater risk and lower success rate in general at the NHL level.

Someone might have to inquire as to who provided the Leafs prospect rankings and their decision for the grade they gave Marner and why?

To me the grades are more a reference point then any absolutes involved as all prospects are suspects until proven otherwise and I'm not about to lose too much sleep over whether there is a C or D after the 8.5 grade. :)

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
one thing about being so talented and playing junior...marner danced around and destroyed the ohl already...u dont improve at an elite level playing against weak competition, and u might develop bad tendencies and habits when the game is so easy for you

Marner was also the go to guy on the line unlike Ganger.

Forwards that have put up 1.69 - 2.3 ppg (+/- 1std around Marner's 2ppg) as a 17.4 yearold (+/- 6mo) before this year:

• Sam Gagner (2.22)
  • Bryan Little (1.7)
  • Steven Stamkos (1.72)
  • Taylor Hall (1.86)
  • Jason Spezza (2.1)
  • David Legwand (1.78)
  • Kyle Wellwood (1.73)
  • John Tavares (2)

The outcomes for guys like Marner are so overwhelmingly positive. Yes, Marner would have gone 1st overall in some drafts.

piikerr

Jul 4, 2014
Mississauga
Forwards that have put up 1.69 - 2.3 ppg (+/- 1std around Marner's 2ppg) as a 17.4 yearold (+/- 6mo) before this year:

• Sam Gagner (2.22)
  • Bryan Little (1.7)
  • Steven Stamkos (1.72)
  • Taylor Hall (1.86)
  • Jason Spezza (2.1)
  • David Legwand (1.78)
  • Kyle Wellwood (1.73)
  • John Tavares (2)

The outcomes for guys like Marner are so overwhelmingly positive. Yes, Marner would have gone 1st overall in some drafts.

Thats a throwback:amazed:

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I personally wouldn't have given Marner a "D" qualifier.

However smaller players do come with a greater risk and lower success rate in general at the NHL level.

Someone might have to inquire as to who provided the Leafs prospect rankings and their decision for the grade they gave Marner and why?

To me the grades are more a reference point then any absolutes involved as all prospects are suspects until proven otherwise and I'm not about to lose too much sleep over whether there is a C or D after the 8.5 grade. :)

That's fair. We can at least take solace though in the fact that he's 5'11. Much harder to gain inches than lbs! I wonder if the Marner would have constant contact throughout the season with Leafs trainers and nutritionists or if it's strictly London Knights staff

piikerr

Jul 4, 2014
Mississauga
That's fair. We can at least take solace though in the fact that he's 5'11. Much harder to gain inches than lbs! I wonder if the Marner would have constant contact throughout the season with Leafs trainers and nutritionists or if it's strictly London Knights staff

I think at this point London and Toronto are pretty much intertwined with the same programs, nutrition plans, and training. Especially if you are a "Hunter" prospect.

I think Marner will probably grow a tiny bit, maybe an inch or so, but 5'11 isn't a terrible height. Especially when you have feet as quick as him. Mass will come naturally and through training.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think at this point London and Toronto are pretty much intertwined with the same programs, nutrition plans, and training. Especially if you are a "Hunter" prospect.

I think Marner will probably grow a tiny bit, maybe an inch or so, but 5'11 isn't a terrible height. Especially when you have feet as quick as him. Mass will come naturally and through training.

Off chance he could grow a little more as his brother hit a growth spurt from like 5'9 and went to 6'2-6'3 in a year I believe around the same age.

Not saying Marner is guaranteed to grow that much but outside chance he could grow even more then we all think. Personally speaking, 5'11 is fine, more height is welcome, but 5'11 is fine. As long as he works on his core/leg strength, he'll be hard to knock off the puck.

I can't wait to watch some London games this year.

piikerr

Jul 4, 2014
Mississauga
Off chance he could grow a little more as his brother hit a growth spurt from like 5'9 and went to 6'2-6'3 in a year I believe around the same age.

Not saying Marner is guaranteed to grow that much but outside chance he could grow even more then we all think. Personally speaking, 5'11 is fine, more height is welcome, but 5'11 is fine. As long as he works on his core/leg strength, he'll be hard to knock off the puck.

I can't wait to watch some London games this year.

Very exciting to watch, especially since Dvorak will almost certainly be back. I guess we can now finally see how he will matchup against Strome withouth Mcjesus and Domi there. :handclap: Height would be welcomed with opened arms but there are hundreds of succesful NHL players that never reached 6ft.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Very exciting to watch, especially since Dvorak will almost certainly be back. I guess we can now finally see how he will matchup against Strome withouth Mcjesus and Domi there. :handclap: Height would be welcomed with opened arms but there are hundreds of succesful NHL players that never reached 6ft.

Piccinich, Jones, Tkachuk are nice additions.

Tkachuk-Marner-Piccinich
Jones-Dvorak-?

A bigger London Knights fan wrote up a bit more of an in-depth line up

But that is a very deep forward group.

London also had a pretty young defense group last year, another year of experience will be nice.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Off the top of my head, no idea, but I am not aware of it, and if he is, not a high level one.

Yeah, I can't seem to find any info on that.

Was just asking because I know major growth-spurts like that, especially that late, can really have an impact on development as an athlete, as you now have to learn how to use your new body. Would've been interesting to know what his brother's progression had been like.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Yeah, I can't seem to find any info on that.

Was just asking because I know major growth-spurts like that, especially that late, can really have an impact on development as an athlete, as you now have to learn how to use your new body. Would've been interesting to know what his brother's progression had been like.

Yea handling a quicker growth spurt can be tough.

Safe bet is Marner maybe adds 1 more inch, and I would guess once he's done adding weight etc, maybe he'll be 6'0 180-190lbs? Marner i'm sure has added weight this summer, will work out during the year, get stronger and then have next off-season to develop a little more physically.

I think Nylander has a bit thicker of a build and he's around 5'11-6'0 195-200lbs now.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
This is actually probably a pretty decent benchmark for fans to use when discussing whether or not prospects are "ready" for the NHL by the front office's standards.

If yes, they're probably not the kind of impact players management wants them to be yet, and should have more seasoning in the AHL/CHL.

but then you get the situations like DuClare (playing good minutes) and Lazar (having decent minutes but Ottawa wasn't good (yet) and he was in a slump.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
but then you get the situations like DuClare (playing good minutes) and Lazar (having decent minutes but Ottawa wasn't good (yet) and he was in a slump.

Of course it's gonna be situational, but the Leafs have an idea of what position they think they'll be in this year. I'm just saying that, at the end of the day, regardless of how the team's doing, and assuming that the young player is performing adequately, how they would handle them with regards to the WJC is a good indicator of whether or not that player should be on the team at all. For us, anyway. If we don't want players on the team until they're ready to stick with the team, I think that's a pretty good benchmark.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Of course it's gonna be situational, but the Leafs have an idea of what position they think they'll be in this year. I'm just saying that, at the end of the day, regardless of how the team's doing, and assuming that the young player is performing adequately, how they would handle them with regards to the WJC is a good indicator of whether or not that player should be on the team at all. For us, anyway. If we don't want players on the team until they're ready to stick with the team, I think that's a pretty good benchmark.

wow. 1/2 my post just vanished. (or maybe i was just writing it in my head, and I forgot to actually type it out) :laugh:

i agree with you. I think that's a pretty good litmus test: despite being eligible to play, could we afford to lose the. DuClaire's situation was they simply thought it would be good for him (then they traded him so who knows LOL). and like I mentioned, Lazar wasn't doing so hot, and they thought he'd do good with a pick me up.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Is Marner's brother (the Boy Who Grew) an athlete, anyone know?

Yea, he was a good highschool athlete. Played some Rep hockey, but his main thing was baseball, pretty good baseball player, just not good enough.

His mother was also pretty athletic in her school days.

Between 18-19, the brother grew Two inches, which doesn't mean Mitch will, or won't.

Knew a guy in grade 5, 10yo, was 6"4, taller than every teacher except One, never grew another inch. I personally grew 1 inch in each of my 16th,17th, and 18th years, but all 3 of my brothers are all at least 3 inches taller than me :shakehead sucks. :laugh:

piikerr

Jul 4, 2014
Mississauga
wow. 1/2 my post just vanished. (or maybe i was just writing it in my head, and I forgot to actually type it out) :laugh:

i agree with you. I think that's a pretty good litmus test: despite being eligible to play, could we afford to lose the. DuClaire's situation was they simply thought it would be good for him (then they traded him so who knows LOL). and like I mentioned, Lazar wasn't doing so hot, and they thought he'd do good with a pick me up.

Worked in their favor as I think Arizona may have over-valued him a little based on the chemistry he had with Domi. Think the trade worked out well for both sides regardless.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

I would have released Rielly for the WJC as it would have been a beneficial experience for him, more beneficial IMO than playing with the Leafs for those few weeks he would have missed. That doesn't mean he wasn't ready for the NHL though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese