Prospect Info: Its all about Mitch Marner now thread !

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Werenski is an 8.5C... nuff said.

I don't know if it's that John Eric guy who does our rankings, but whoever did seriously screwed the pooch.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I don't give a damn about rankings. Even if he busts, it won't be because he was only rated 8.5D on HockeysFuture.

While that is true that no rating will determine a prospects future fate, however in the unlikely scenario where he does bust then the "D" ranking was warranted as it would have been an accurate prediction.

To me it seems like the "D" is more of a gamble of a prediction as it appears to be a higher probability of being wrong. No doubt that rating is related to his size then his skill in terms of risk factor.

Had he received a "C" it would have fit more with the general ranking system.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
People need to relax. It's not like Hockey's Future hasn't been wrong before.

And its not like Marner is any less of a player because of this.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He's so small though.

Kind of reminds me of Filatov, looked like a little boy at the draft.

No one built like that could ever play in the NHL.

He might be a few years away at this size.

Claude Giroux
Center -- shoots R
Born Jan 12 1988 -- Hearst, ONT
[27 yrs. ago]
Height 5.11 -- Weight 172 [180 cm/78 kg]

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
He's so small though.

Claude Giroux
Center -- shoots R
[27 yrs. ago]

Uh-oh. Another can of worms has been opened.

piikerr

Jul 4, 2014
Mississauga
He's so small though.

Claude Giroux
Center -- shoots R
[27 yrs. ago]

Patrick Kane drafted at 5ft10 162lbs
Teuvo Taravainen drafted at 5ft11 165lbs
Nik Ehlers drafted at 5ft11 163lbs
Anthony Deangelo 5ft11 167lbs
Even Kapanen 5ft10 165 lbs at draft
Drouin 5ft11 176 lbs
Nuge 6ft 164 lbs

List goes on and on. 5ft11 165lbs at 18 years old isnt gonna stop him...
He will be 5ft11 - 6ft 175-185lbs by 2017-2018 season guaranteed.

I encourage you to watch some of his highlights and see his speed, you cant catch him. He doesnt have size but he plays gritty.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He's so small though.

Claude Giroux
Center -- shoots R
[27 yrs. ago]

Playing it conservative with Marner? :help:

In 2007 Edmonton took another former London Knight center Sam Gagner #6 overall after he put up 35-83-118 points in 53 games = [2.23 PPG] and added 29 more in 16 playoff games.

Marner also 5-11 and slight in weight put up 44-82-126 points in 63 games = [2.0 PPG] & 16 more in the playoffs in 7 games.

Gagner was given a 8.5 C ranking (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/sam_gagner) at the time of his draft year.

Once bitten twice shy ..

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
He's so small though.

Claude Giroux
Center -- shoots R
[27 yrs. ago]

You just destroyed your own argument. Don't say "ever"

Daniel Briere - 5'10 180lbs
MSL 5'8 - 176lbs
Tyler Johnson - 5'9 182lbs
Nikita Kucherov - 5'11 171lbs
Jaden Schwartz - 5'10 190lbs
Henrik Zetterberg - 5'11 195lbs
Pavel Datsyuk 5'11 194lbs
Steve Yzerman 5'11 185lbs
Joe Sakic 5'11 185lbs
Johnny Gaudreau 5'9 150lbs

I don't think anyone thinks Marner is playing the NHL this year, but next year, why not?

I just listed off a bunch of guys (funny enough, a lot of them play/played C) who are on the short(er)side, especially if you ask a lot of people on here obsessed with size. Marner is 5'11 and still has the chance to add some height, and he most certainly will add weight.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
:laugh:
Patrick Kane drafted at 5ft10 162lbs
Teuvo Taravainen drafted at 5ft11 165lbs
Nik Ehlers drafted at 5ft11 163lbs
Anthony Deangelo 5ft11 167lbs
Even Kapanen 5ft10 165 lbs at draft
Drouin 5ft11 176 lbs
Nuge 6ft 164 lbs

List goes on and on. 5ft11 165lbs at 18 years old isnt gonna stop him...
He will be 5ft11 - 6ft 175-185lbs by 2017-2018 season guaranteed.

I encourage you to watch some of his highlights and see his speed, you cant catch him. He doesnt have size but he plays gritty.

You just destroyed your own argument. Don't say "ever"

Daniel Briere - 5'10 180lbs
MSL 5'8 - 176lbs
Tyler Johnson - 5'9 182lbs
Nikita Kucherov - 5'11 171lbs
Jaden Schwartz - 5'10 190lbs
Henrik Zetterberg - 5'11 195lbs
Pavel Datsyuk 5'11 194lbs
Steve Yzerman 5'11 185lbs
Joe Sakic 5'11 185lbs
Johnny Gaudreau 5'9 150lbs

I don't think anyone thinks Marner is playing the NHL this year, but next year, why not?

I just listed off a bunch of guys (funny enough, a lot of them play/played C) who are on the short(er)side, especially if you ask a lot of people on here obsessed with size. Marner is 5'11 and still has the chance to add some height, and he most certainly will add weight.

:popcorn:

That was my point, Giroux is still only 172 lbs.

This fear about Marner not being big enough, is unfounded if he's as talented as some claim.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
:laugh:

:popcorn:

That was my point, Giroux is still only 172 lbs.

This fear about Marner not being big enough, is unfounded if he's as talented as some claim.

Have you watched him? Like, beyond the silly team Canada exhibition game stuff.

I'll vouch having watched him, he looks like a special talent. I got more disappointed with Strome the more I saw. I am just genuinely wondering if you've had a chance to see Marner at all. The hype is realllll

Last edited:

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

In 2007 Edmonton took another former London Knight center Sam Gagner #6 overall after he put up 35-83-118 points in 53 games = [2.23 PPG] and added 29 more in 16 playoff games.

Marner also 5-11 and slight in weight put up 44-82-126 points in 63 games = [2.0 PPG] & 16 more in the playoffs in 7 games.

Gagner was given a 8.5 C ranking (http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/sam_gagner) at the time of his draft year.

Once bitten twice shy ..

I'm not sure if this is sarcastic or not.

If its not...posts like it are why I take you with less and less seriousness everyday.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I knew when I read that post of yours that some would completely miss that sarcasm. :laugh:

I'm looking forward to seeing the new blood at training camp.

It is pretty normal for the top 3 picks to have a good chance of cracking a NHL line-up every year.

We've even had people here suggest Marner could be as talented as Eichel, no way, no how Eichel isn't on the Sabres.

We've had people suggest Marner would be 1st. overall in drafts without the generational talent in 2015.

My bet is most 1st. overall picks make the NHL, because they are so superior to most talents.

And sometimes the author of this post can be a bit of a donkey, so the matches are lit before the powder is dry.

piikerr

Jul 4, 2014
Mississauga

I'll vouch having watched him, he looks like a special talent. I got more disappointed with Strome the more I saw. I am just genuinely wondering if you've had a chance to see Marner at all.

Agreed I saw strome in person a handful of times and hes more hype than anything else. Its not hard to put up points when you're playing a team whos given up after going down 3-0 in the first 10 mins. I'll take Marner over strome 11/10 times even if he only turns out to be a winger.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'm looking forward to seeing the new blood at training camp.

It is pretty normal for the top 3 picks to have a good chance of cracking a NHL line-up every year.

We've even had people here suggest Marner could be as talented as Eichel, no way, no how Eichel isn't on the Sabres.

We've had people suggest Marner would be 1st. overall in drafts without the generational talent in 2015.

My bet is most 1st. overall picks make the NHL, because they are so superior to most talents.

And sometimes the author of this post can be a bit of a donkey, so the matches are lit before the powder is dry.

I'm not sure i'd go as far as that, but one thing I will say for sure is that Eichel is a pretty ridiculously mature for someone his age. If Marner were to have that same size and height, I think the only thing Eichel would have over Marner would then be his shot which is a bullet.

piikerr

Jul 4, 2014
Mississauga
I'm not sure i'd go as far as that, but one thing I will say for sure is that Eichel is a pretty ridiculously mature for someone his age. If Marner were to have that same size and height, I think the only thing Eichel would have over Marner would then be his shot which is a bullet.

He's also a year older incase no one took that into account. Not that that's a huge deal in 3-5 years from now, but marner still has a year to physically mature. Look how young he looks, he forsure isnt dont growing.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I'll vouch having watched him, he looks like a special talent. I got more disappointed with Strome the more I saw. I am just genuinely wondering if you've had a chance to see Marner at all.

Actually, I'm not sure I have, so I can't vouch for how talented he is, thus I said if he is as talented as some claim.

But do you want me to make my opinion based on the eyeball test? You know the eyeball test is no longer a valid means of evaluating players, right? Only thing that matters are the advanced, 5v5 stats, not some silly viewing the player stuff. :sarcasm:

If Marner is as talented as some claim, he should be in the NHL this year. His size is not a concern to me.

We had a running commentary about how he was a center before the draft. We could go back to that thread and find many posts saying that, so now are those people going to retract those statements saying, oh he was only a center for the argument sake, in fact he isn't a center but we hope he can convert to center in the CHL this year?

If he's good enough I'd be happy to see him in the NHL this year, if he needs seasoning, like Drouin, then he could go back to junior.

And yes, a player can learn in the NHL, otherwise there'd be no growth once they made the NHL, but we see improvement in most players as they gain experience in the league.

Oh, and he can get bigger in any league he plays in, so going back to junior won't be the reason he gets bigger (for those with that concern). Getting bigger just comes with age and genetics, not location.

piikerr

Jul 4, 2014
Mississauga
Actually, I'm not sure I have, so I can't vouch for how talented he is, thus I said if he is as talented as some claim.

But do you want me to make my opinion based on the eyeball test? You know the eyeball test is no longer a valid means of evaluating players, right? Only thing that matters are the advanced, 5v5 stats, not some silly viewing the player stuff. :sarcasm:

If Marner is as talented as some claim, he should be in the NHL this year. His size is not a concern to me.

We had a running commentary about how he was a center before the draft. We could go back to that thread and find many posts saying that, so now are those people going to retract those statements saying, oh he was only a center for the argument sake, in fact he isn't a center but we hope he can convert to center in the CHL this year?

If he's good enough I'd be happy to see him in the NHL this year, if he needs seasoning, like Drouin, then he could go back to junior.

And yes, a player can learn in the NHL, otherwise there'd be no growth once they made the NHL, but we see improvement in most players as they gain experience in the league.

Oh, and he can get bigger in any league he plays in, so going back to junior won't be the reason he gets bigger (for those with that concern). Getting bigger just comes with age and genetics, not location.

Well there is less ice time, more time in between games, less games, and less road time in the CHL compared to the NHL which could mean more time in the gym. But I agree he will put on size regardless of where he plays next year. I would preffer him to go back to the CHL to mature his 2 way C game, play in the WJC, and not be played 9-10 mins a game on a struggling team. My preference would be for him to play on the Marlies as he has already dominated the OHL, but the ridiculous eligibility rules are still there..

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Well there is less ice time, more time in between games, less games, and less road time in the CHL compared to the NHL which could mean more time in the gym. But I agree he will put on size regardless of where he plays next year.

I would preffer him to go back to the CHL to mature his 2 way C game, play in the WJC, and not be played 9-10 mins a game on a struggling team. My preference would be for him to play on the Marlies as he has already dominated the OHL, but the ridiculous eligibility rules are still there..

Even with the Leafs he could go to the WJC, happens quite often.

If he is only getting 4th. line minutes, he should be in the CHL, or SweHL, not sitting on the bench watching.

3rd. line minutes would be fine, with special teams play on the PP.

piikerr

Jul 4, 2014
Mississauga
Even with the Leafs he could go to the WJC, happens quite often.

If he is only getting 4th. line minutes, he should be in the CHL, or SweHL, not sitting on the bench watching.

3rd. line minutes would be fine, with special teams play on the PP.

I'd personally rather see him play 20+ with London rather than 10 on the leafs playing 3rd line. Wish we could see him on the Marlies this year with Kapanen and Nylander.... I would buy season tickets:popcorn:

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
one thing about being so talented and playing junior...marner danced around and destroyed the ohl already...u dont improve at an elite level playing against weak competition, and u might develop bad tendencies and habits when the game is so easy for you

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
one thing about being so talented and playing junior...marner danced around and destroyed the ohl already...u dont improve at an elite level playing against weak competition, and u might develop bad tendencies and habits when the game is so easy for you

He gets to play centre for a full year, instead of just at the end in the playoffs like before.

He also gets a chance to play at the WJC, maybe win the OHL scoring title, and London does have a chance at a Memorial cup.

Events like the WJC and OHL playoffs/memorial cup playoffs provide really good experience for Marner in playing in high pressure hockey situations.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

The London staff and his huge desire to get better, work ethic ect.... will prevent bad habits from forming IMO.Hes still got goals to look forward to.
Kid gets it, wants and Will play the right way. London gets kids ( morreso Fs) to learn n play a pro style. Having seen him up to 80 games live n meeting him at MM practice for our team, I wouldn't in the least bit be worried of bad habits creeping in.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto

Once bitten twice shy ..

Gagner put up 2.23 PPG playing on a line with Patrick Kane and 19 year old Sergei Kostitsyn :laugh:

Marner did it with Dvorak (14pts in 33gp in his draft year the year before) and Max Domi.

Much different

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad