What is the knock on Gerrad Gallant, and why is Berube considered such a better coaching candidate?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Nearly all of them only last 2-3 seasons.

I think MSL is the 5th longest tenured coach in the league and he's been head coach for 2 1/2 seasons.

If the case is to hire Berube over Gallant for a cup:

Scotty Bowman is the ONLY coach to win a cup with 2 teams since World War II.

There is a very slim chance that Berube wins it elsewhere.

That's pretty common across the major sports.

NBA, only Phil Jackson and Pat Riley have won with two different teams.

MLB off the top of my head its only Bruce Bochy, Tony LaRussa, Sparky Anderson.

NFL nobody.

Last edited:

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
GG wouldn't let Panarin Tro and Laf play together even though it worked. Pretty sure he lied about Laf not wanting to be on his off wing. GG had the 2 most successful regular seasons in Rangers history and pretty much everyone was happy he was gone. I hope he ends up on a rival.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Reportedly not much of a system, X and O coach, and more of a motivator/cheerleader. I mean, both are good skills to have.

So I guess it’s probably about balance between the two and him maybe not having good balance in those 2 skillsets.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Is Vegas where they are today without Gallant? Was that 17-18 team really that good on paper or did he have them play a certain way that had a long-lasting impact?

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

PajamaBoy

Sponsor
Sep 16, 2020
You can't take the cup win away from Berube, but sometimes you can catch lightning in a bottle on a cup run - he hasn't had much success outside that year.

Gallant has had a ton of early success then gets kicked to the curb almost immediately after the next year.

Seems like most analysts talk about Berube being available a lot more than Gallant.

Can someone please fill in the blanks?
Terrible xs and os coach. He's everything wrong with nhls recycle microwave coach culture.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
You can't take the cup win away from Berube, but sometimes you can catch lightning in a bottle on a cup run - he hasn't had much success outside that year.

Gallant has had a ton of early success then gets kicked to the curb almost immediately after the next year.

Seems like most analysts talk about Berube being available a lot more than Gallant.

Cause Berube won a cup and is more hard nose.

that's surprising.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Gallant is just really, really hands off. So much so that there was one Ranger (can’t remember who) that said he and Gallant talked outside of practice maybe once all year.

There is a structure he wants, but the problem with being so hands off is that no one is going to listen to you when you try to crack down. Or worse, if you crack down and do it harshly, the team might turn on you. And on top of that, the team is going to look to the coach for answers when things aren’t going well and he doesn’t really have any. He also doesn’t have the buy in to implement something even if he did. This is basically what happened in the first round last year, and the players essentially quit on him.

He’s probably a good one year coach for a team that started tuning out a micro manager or a hard ass. The hands off approach comes as a breath of fresh air, but the good habits haven’t gone away yet. That second year, though, the wheels are going to start to come off.

Reactions: Jyrki

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
For my fellow Rangers fans. Curious what you guys think, was the huge leap from 20-21 to 21-22 due to David Quinn sucking so much, Gallant, or just Igor? Because that team was almost the same team but Gallant did get the Rangers a 110 point team and a 107 point team the following year.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I think MSL is the 5th longest tenured coach in the league and he's been head coach for 2 1/2 seasons.

That's pretty common across the major sports.

NBA, only Phil Jackson and Pat Riley have won with two different teams.

MLB off the top of my head its only Bruce Bochy, Tony LaRussa, Sparky Anderson.

NFL nobody.

He's 6th but that's absolutely insane. Only guys above him are Tourigny, Brind'Amour, Bednar, Sullivan and Cooper.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

That’s insane.

It’s not that common in any sport, if you win a Championship you tend to keep your job a lot longer.

NBA head coaches who won championships with more than one team: 3 (Alex Hannum, Pat Riley, Phil Jackson)

MLB managers who won World Series with more than one team: 3 (Sparky Anderson, Tony La Russa, Bruce Bochy)

NFL head coaches who won championships with more than one team: zero

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Gallant is not a tactician or advanced stats guy. He is a motivator. And once his messaging wears off, he has no other tools to produce results. That why he consistently loses locker rooms after 2-3 seasons.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

You say that, and then essentially try to minimize the accomplishment. He took over a team who was out of the playoffs at Christmas, and led them to a Cup. No one thought they had a chance at doing that when he took over.

STL lack of success after that had more to do with the GM screwing up the roster, by signing the wrong guys, and letting the wrong guys go.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
You say that, and then essentially try to minimize the accomplishment. He took over a team who was out of the playoffs at Christmas, and led them to a Cup. No one thought they had a chance at doing that when he took over.

STL lack of success after that had more to do with the GM screwing up the roster, by signing the wrong guys, and letting the wrong guys go.

No. I'm not minimizing that accomplishment. I'm minimizing his entire career as a whole. Big difference.

When hiring a new coach I would take sustained success vs. one significant accomplishment.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I think Gallant is a good coach but he seems to wear out his welcome with players and GMs real quickly.

I am starting the rumor that he has some annoying quirk like a date on Seinfeld

bov

Nov 13, 2010
He's 6th but that's absolutely insane. Only guys above him are Tourigny, Brind'Amour, Bednar, Sullivan and Cooper.
Feels like MSL and Tourigny just became head coaches, crazy.

Nogatco Rd

Owner & Operator, HFBoards LLC
Apr 3, 2021

That may be true, but it sounds like you’re arguing that if St Louis had LOST game 7 in 2019, you think Berube would be somehow more likely to win a cup at his next job? That reasoning seems suspect to me.

80s Kid

Feb 20, 2023
AZ
For my fellow Rangers fans. Curious what you guys think, was the huge leap from 20-21 to 21-22 due to David Quinn sucking so much, Gallant, or just Igor? Because that team was almost the same team but Gallant did get the Rangers a 110 point team and a 107 point team the following year.
Kreider reinventing himself as the best net front guy in the league and potting 50 goals along with Igor winning the Vezina were probably the two biggest reasons for the first year success.

chuckt

May 4, 2022
On top of that - in the Cup year Binnington was playing out of his mind. After that - not so much.

While this is true of the regular season, I would not say Binnington was playing out of his mind in the playoffs. It's sort of a myth that gets perpetuated.

In the four playoff rounds:

-Binnington and Helley were roughly equal
-Bishop was the far superior performance
-Binnington outplayed Martin Jones
-Rask slightly outplayed Binnington

Binnington had a .914 save percentage throughout the playoffs. He was blown up a couple of times, but he did show mental resiliency by bouncing back. Binnington gave them average goaltending (at least average compared to their competition).

NoelVilla

Feb 25, 2019
Gallant doesn't seem to do any player development what so ever. Rolls 4 lines and hope for the best. Not a top coach and GMs talk to each other.
As for Berube. I do think he is a little better than Gallant but a top team signing him this summer is making a mistake. In my opinion.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
It has less to do with Berube and more to do with Gallant. Gallant loses the room very quick. Why hire a coach that will only last 2 seasons?
The NHL recycles coaches more than any other sports league. I’d hire Gallant in a heartbeat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad