Prospect Info: Isles Prospect Talk PART XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Kind of tough calling out someones character for not developing into what you thought they could. I'm sure he's not a dick about improving his skating. It's also possible that the pick itself turned out more unlucky than being a poor choice. He just stopped developing while everyone else around him continued to.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Kind of tough calling out someones character for not developing into what you thought they could. I'm sure he's not a dick about improving his skating. It's also possible that the pick itself turned out more unlucky than being a poor choice. He just stopped developing while everyone else around him continued to.
It's not about being a good guy or a jerk. There was a famous story about Chara as a first or second year player having free time during training camp and helping the office staff stuffing envelopes for a mailing to season ticket holders. Chara has an insane work ethic. It's how he went from looking like a giraffe on skates to winning a Norris trophy and becoming a dangerous offensive defenseman. Some guys want to be a pro. Chara WANTED to be a pro. That's the trait teams have to look for.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Yeah, but MDC not developing doesn't necessarily mean he isn't working hard. If hard work was all it took, Marty Reasoner would have been a star.

Jester

At this point MDC would be thrilled to be able to play almost 800 NHL games aka Marty Reasoner the 14th overall pick by St. Louis in 1996... I keep on thinking about the "eye test" Obviously Ehlers and Nylander had more skill, MDC must of just floored the Isles staff with his "character interview" unfortunately. funny you bring up Reasoner, check out his BC stats, he dominated. Also, not too shabby in the AHL. Once he hit the NHL I guess he did whatever he needed to do to be an NHL pro. Something that MDC appears not to be doing unfortunately or decided it's not the price he wants to pay.

Reactions: Svengoolie

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
Looks like Aho is producing, how has he been in his short stint so far?
I haven't seen him outside of the training camp, where he also looked good, but he got another point today and was on the starting lineup. Personally I hope he continues to excel and forces his way onto the Isles, who could really use a defenseman with his puck moving skills.

Reactions: PG Canuck

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Bridgeport is off to their worst start ever...yikes those goalie stats!

* = current assignment
+ = on IR or just hurt

NHL - New York Islanders

PLAYERPOSDRAFT POS.GPGAPTSPIM+/-
Mathew BarzalC2015 round 1 #16812340
Anthony BeauvillierLW/C2015 round 1 #2851016-3
Adam PelechD2012 round 3 #65801163
Scott MayfieldD2011 round 2 #34601163
Joshua Ho-SangRW2014 round 1 #28604421
Ryan PulockD2013 round 1 #1520110-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
AHL - Bridgeport Sound Tigers

Devon ToewsD2014 round 4 #108602220
Michael Dal ColleLW2014 round 1 #561124-1
Kyle BurroughsD2013 round 7 #1966101115
Kyle SchemppC2014 round 6 #155200001
John Stevens +CUndrafted FA000000
Mitchell Vande SompelD2015 round 3 #8261454-4
Parker WotherspoonD2015 round 4 #112301142
Sebastian AhoD2017 round 5 #139513402
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
ECHL - Worcester Railers

---------
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
CHL

PLAYERPOSDRAFT POS.TEAMGPGAPTSPIM+/-
Kieffer BellowsLW/C2016 round 1 #19Portland Winterhawks11710171211
David QuennevilleD2016 round 7 #200Medicine Hat Tigers93141720
Arnaud DurandeauLW2017 round 6 #165Halifax Mooseheads13481283
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
USHL

Andong SongD2015 round 6 #172Madison Capitols400021
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
NCAA

Nick PastujovLW2016 round 7 #193Univ. of Michigan200000
Collin AdamsLW2016 round 6 #170Univ. of North Dakota621321
Logan CockerillLW2017 round 7 #201Boston Univ.50004-3
Benjamin MirageasD2017 round 3 #77Providence College50112-4
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Europe

Robin SaloD2017 round 2 #46Sport120332-2
Otto KoivulaLW/RW2016 round 4 #120Ilves1728102-7
Anatoli Golyshev +LW/RW2016 round 4 #95Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg1352764
Petter HanssonD2015 round 7 #202Södertälje SK110004-6
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Goalies

PLAYERDRAFT POS.TEAMLEAGUEGPGAASV%
Ilya Sorokin2014 round 3 #78CSKA MoskvaKHL141.62.924
Linus Söderström2014 round 4 #95HV71SHL82.37.906
Eamon McAdam2013 round 3 #70Worcester RailersECHL13.00.917
Christopher GibsonAcq. via TradeBridgeport Sound TigersAHL33.72.872
Kristers GudlevskisAcq. via TradeBridgeport Sound TigersAHL33.37.870
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Let me preface this by saying I'm expecting Dal Colle to end up playing in the same role that Josh Bailey plays for us (what I mean by that is capable of being a complimentary top six winger with a legitimate center)

With that out there now, you have to look at the centers in Bridgeport, which are a rather weak group. This is going to skew Dal Colle's numbers negatively, plus they're only six games in...

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Jester

At this point MDC would be thrilled to be able to play almost 800 NHL games aka Marty Reasoner the 14th overall pick by St. Louis in 1996... I keep on thinking about the "eye test" Obviously Ehlers and Nylander had more skill, MDC must of just floored the Isles staff with his "character interview" unfortunately. funny you bring up Reasoner, check out his BC stats, he dominated. Also, not too shabby in the AHL. Once he hit the NHL I guess he did whatever he needed to do to be an NHL pro. Something that MDC appears not to be doing unfortunately or decided it's not the price he wants to pay.

I'm not disagreeing that MDC has not lived to his potential and his development has been rocky to put it lightly. I dig what you're saying, but we have to keep in mind this is completely different era. It used to be that failed prospects and lower level guys just had to turn into goons to get to the show, those guys have gone the way of the dodo.

Or, in Reasoners case, he made a career as a defensive centerman when his offense didn't come around. MDC doesn't have the skating ability to be that type of player.... if he did, his scoring likely wouldn't be in question.

Now the question is, who's fault is that?

I believe it's very possible he will just never be a good enough skater no matter how hard he works at it. People are jumping to conclusions that he's just not trying, and I do not see that considering he spent the offseason getting special instruction with McDavid, Seguin, Ho-Sang and others.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
I'm not disagreeing that MDC has not lived to his potential and his development has been rocky to put it lightly. I dig what you're saying, but we have to keep in mind this is completely different era. It used to be that failed prospects and lower level guys just had to turn into goons to get to the show, those guys have gone the way of the dodo.

Or, in Reasoners case, he made a career as a defensive centerman when his offense didn't come around. MDC doesn't have the skating ability to be that type of player.... if he did, his scoring likely wouldn't be in question.

Now the question is, who's fault is that?

I believe it's very possible he will just never be a good enough skater no matter how hard he works at it. People are jumping to conclusions that he's just not trying, and I do not see that considering he spent the offseason getting special instruction with McDavid, Seguin, Ho-Sang and others.

must be disheartening finding out your just not good enough no matter how hard you try. Just baffles me still the Isles did not take a chance on the higher skilled guys unfortunately......If MDC is giving it all he has than it's the Isles fault. Good point on this being a differant era

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
must be disheartening finding out your just not good enough no matter how hard you try. Just baffles me still the Isles did not take a chance on the higher skilled guys unfortunately......If MDC is giving it all he has than it's the Isles fault. Good point on this being a differant era

He wouldn't be the first (we've had plenty here). Remember Jeff Tambellini? He also had a great shot, but he could also skate. Robert Nilsson seemed to have all the tools and could make passes like Barzal. This is a tough league to break into.... when you see guys like Mattias Weinhandl, fail here go to the KHL/SHL and become a star, it really shows that even guys like Brian Strait are the best in the world at what they do. It's why guys like McDavid dominate the way they do in Jr..... and even they have to bust their asses to stay on top once they hit this league.

I used to go to The Rinx in Hauppague a lot when I was younger (owned by Gerry Hart), and there was often Islander players hanging around. I remember watching Yan Kaminsky skating there and just being blown away at how skilled this guy was. I've seen a lot of amateur hockey up close, but this guy was on another level with his skating, hands and shot. I don't think he played more than 30 NHL games in his career.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Did we give MDC a 9 game look at some point? I can't remember. If not, we should...at least see what the kid can do or not do.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
I wonder why Gudlevskis is playing so poorly...now I remember who he was.

He was the one that was in net for the 2-1 loss to Canada. The guy stood on his head in that game. If we can untap that part of him, we have a winner.

Beastrt

Jun 14, 2011
Let me preface this by saying I'm expecting Dal Colle to end up playing in the same role that Josh Bailey plays for us (what I mean by that is capable of being a complimentary top six winger with a legitimate center)

With that out there now, you have to look at the centers in Bridgeport, which are a rather weak group. This is going to skew Dal Colle's numbers negatively, plus they're only six games in...

I agree with this, the only problem is who is he ever gonna beat out for a lw spot on the team ladd, Lee, beau/Nelson? If one of those guys gets injured he should get called up just to see what they have. I think if you put him on any of the top 3 lines he would excel with better players. He has no centers at the ahl level he looked good with stevens in training camp but he got hurt.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Did we give MDC a 9 game look at some point? I can't remember. If not, we should...at least see what the kid can do or not do.
We didn't. He's already a pro so 9 games is irrelevant. With Quine getting healthy it would take a few injuries to get to Dal Colle's turn.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I wonder why Gudlevskis is playing so poorly...now I remember who he was.

He was the one that was in net for the 2-1 loss to Canada. The guy stood on his head in that game. If we can untap that part of him, we have a winner.

The team is playing really bad in front of both goalies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
The Soundtigers have gotten off to a very average start. It took Dal Colle 6 games to get his first points, a goal and assist the night before last in a 6-3 win.

In that same period of time, Scott Eansor has 7 goals. Together with Tanner Fritz (2-5-7), Eansor has been the Soundtigers' offense. They're the ones making things happen.

Bernier and a bit surprisingly St. Denis also have 4+ points. On the blueline, Vande Sompel leads the way with 1-4-5, but has a -4 rating. Aho has 1-3-4 and is tied for first on the team with a +2. He's played 5 of the 6 games.

Getting back to Dal Colle: not the start he or the organization envisioned. The season is young and the organization has no choice but to give him as much time as he needs as long as he's on his ELC, but every new highlight from no less than Ehlers and Nylander must be very hard for management to swallow. IT SHOULD BE, because no less than Nylander gave the ice hockey community plenty of reason to believe he was going to be a more effective player than Dal Colle, but the kid just doesn't seem to be pushing for a job. He's clearly and rightly been surpassed by Barzal, Beauvillier, and Ho-Sang. And he's currently being outplayed by Eansor and Fritz - two undrafted players.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
In general, especially when you have so many bodies in the system, I'm not at all for the "Play the kid and just see what we've got". We have neither the reason to rush somebody nor does it send the right message to that player or the other players.

WinhallVT124

Head on a swivel
Mar 6, 2015
Winhall,VT
From the WHL last night:

Bellows 2 goals in a loss, 20 pts in 12 games and 61 shots on goal which is a good sign.

Quenneville, had a goal in a MH Win. Now has 18 pts in 10 games.

This has to be the first time ever where we've never had a prospect in the OHL.

Reactions: SI90

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
From the WHL last night:

Bellows 2 goals in a loss, 20 pts in 12 games and 61 shots on goal which is a good sign.

Quenneville, had a goal in a MH Win. Now has 18 pts in 10 games.

This has to be the first time ever where we've never had a prospect in the OHL.

My ears and eyes are starting to open in regards to Quenneville. Anyone see him play? any chance he is a real NHL prospect? Size is small but appears to be hungry and looks angry. (perfect) In this day and age NHL size is not a huge decider like 20 years ago.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
My ears and eyes are starting to open in regards to Quenneville. Anyone see him play? any chance he is a real NHL prospect? Size is small but appears to be hungry and looks angry. (perfect) In this day and age NHL size is not a huge decider like 20 years ago.

Yes he does have real NHL potential. He's fearless. If he does make it all the way I don't think he will be the huge offensive dynamo he is right now in junior but he will be up some points. He has a really hard shot too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad