WCSF | Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | Round 2 - FIGHT!

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

It’s official, bring on the Oilers!

1714790122557.png

IMG_0045.jpegIMG_0047.jpeg

Oiler Killers:
Quinn Hughes - 25GP, 3G, 19A, 22Pts
JT Miller - 32GP, 11G, 23A, 34Pts
Brock Boeser - 31GP, 16G, 11A, 27Pts

Season Series:
October 11, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 8-1

October 14, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 4-3

November 6, 2023
Vancouver def. Edmonton - 6-2

April 13, 2024
Vancouver def. Edmonton 3-1

Last edited:

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I hope players like Hoglander Pettersson Mikheyev Lafferty play a little looser and better, turning the page to a new series that should be a little more open. These players will be needed if we want to do any damage. One thing we can do is beat them with depth if all our lines play like they can.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Need some way to sync up the 650 broadcast. Hell I'd take an out of sync Brendan Batchelor over Singh and Debrusk.

*unless Singh comes up with a memorable goal call for us and shouts it in Punjabi.

Reactions: mossey3535 and Flik

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Do the canucks need to play better? Of course. That said the Oilers defensive system and players are not nearly as disciplined as Nashville. The times the canucks got pressure on the Preds they simply wouldn't break down that much. Canucks were the same way.

I don't think this is some foregone conclusion that the Oilers have this in the bag. They aren't the same team as they were in October but they still make plenty of big mistakes. And still have plenty of hot heads.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Hard to believe it’s been 32 years since these teams met in a playoff series. I have vague recollections of it - there aren’t many highlights from it floating around on YouTube, but this pack has all of the Canucks goals from that series (and the first round vs Winnipeg) - Cliff Ronning was on fire with 6 goals in the 6 game series.

It’s weird - I can remember so many little things about the 1992 Jets series but virtually nothing about that Oilers series. I know I watched every game and I remember hating Steve Smith but that’s about it.

Just looking for a bright spot. Best case scenario is the Leafs lose and Cuthbert calls the series.

I didn’t think I could possibly be cheering harder against the Leafs but there it is.

You know what? Go Boston. There, I said it. I would rather cheer the Bruins for a game and maybe get Cuthbert.

I don’t understand the Boston hate any more. They aren’t a rival, they’ve never been a rival, and outside of 2 weeks 13 years ago they’ve been one of the most totally irrelevant teams to us for 50+ years.

As for 2011, I hold a lot more hate for the league and Brian Burke and the Edmonton/Toronto media than I do for the actual Bruins.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I have been wanting to see Suter on Pettersson's wing for a while, and that makeshift line of Suter-Pettersson-Boeser scored the series winner. I don't think you split up Boeser-Miller, but I'd be down to try Suter-Pettersson-Lindholm (or with Lindholm at centre) and reunite the Blueger line. Throw Hoglander up with Boeser-Miller I guess, maybe he converts more of those chances they generate than Suter.

I doubt they do it because Tocchet will probably want to hard match either Miller or Lindholm against McDavid.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
Hard to believe it’s been 32 years since these teams met in a playoff series. I have vague recollections of it - there aren’t many highlights from it floating around on YouTube, but this pack has all of the Canucks goals from that series (and the first round vs Winnipeg) - Cliff Ronning was on fire with 6 goals in the 6 game series.

3 years before I was born

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
What a stressful series with Nashville. They were such a tough defensive team. Relieved that's over.

Win or lose, it should be a lot more fun playing a run and gun team like the Oilers. Also, the Preds series lacked emotion, as the two teams didn't "hate" each other. This series is going to be emotional as hell. :naughty:

Reactions: Indiana

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
I hope players like Hoglander Pettersson Mikheyev Lafferty play a little looser and better, turning the page to a new series that should be a little more open. These players will be needed if we want to do any damage. One thing we can do is beat them with depth if all our lines play like they can.
You are 100% correct.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Both you and @WTG are optimistic about this series and that in turn makes ME more optimistic.

Perhaps I'm selling our team a bit short, but I'm having a tough time seeing us win this series unless we somehow level up our play across the board.

Maybe I'm not giving Nashville enough credit for their defensive game, because our offense looked so neutered against them, which just won't fly against the Oilers; who by the way are much more better defensively than we give them credit for.

I hope the refs just swallow their whistles and let us play because that'll allow our "small D" to impose their will on the games.

buttman must be in shambles rn
Canucks are in no way favorites in this series. But the narrative around the team and the Nashville series is a bit overblown and Edmonton's series vs the Kings is also being swept under the rug.

The Canucks vs Nashville, the Canucks had 53.33% xGF%, while Edmonton had 47.91 xGF% against the kings. Oilers had 42.66 CF% also, vs the Canucks 52.45.

Vancouver underperformed their expected goals (8 to 11.87), while Edmonton overperformed their expected goals (12 to 9.86).

If the Kings did not have such a poor special teams showing, that series would go to 7. The narrative around the Canucks is that they were getting hounded possession-wise because of the low shots. But that's simply not true. The penalty differential between the Kings and Oilers were +7 to the Oilers, while the Canucks were -8.

If the Canucks play more disciplined and play more structured, they stand a serious chance of beating the Oilers.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Canucks are in no way favorites in this series. But the narrative around the team and the Nashville series is a bit overblown and Edmonton's series vs the Kings is also being swept under the rug.

The Canucks vs Nashville, the Canucks had 53.33% xGF%, while Edmonton had 47.91 xGF% against the kings. Oilers had 42.66 CF% also, vs the Canucks 52.45.

Vancouver underperformed their expected goals (8 to 11.87), while Edmonton overperformed their expected goals (12 to 9.86).

If the Kings did not have such a poor special teams showing, that series would go to 7. The narrative around the Canucks is that they were getting hounded possession-wise because of the low shots. But that's simply not true. The penalty differential between the Kings and Oilers were +7 to the Oilers, while the Canucks were -8.

If the Canucks play more disciplined and play more structured, they stand a serious chance of beating the Oilers.
licensed-image

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just about every pundit writing off the Canucks.....which is a little hard to understand.

Sure the Oilers have the big-two of McDavid and Draisaitl; and complimentary scoring from Hyman and blueline scoring from Bouchard. But the Canucks have 100-point centre-men in Pettersson and Miller; along with the presumptive Norris Trophy winner in Hughes.

Canucks also swept the season series, and three of those wins were before their big additions of Lindholm and Zadorov. If the Canucks can find a way to stay out of the box and make this a five-on-five series, they've got a shot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad