Pre-Game Talk: Islanders @ Sens Jan. 22

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
I'd love to see Bryan Murray get to fire and hire another coach.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Why wouldn't some players stop listening to the coach when it's obvious even to us fans that the coach plays favorites. Some players can make as many mistakes as they want without consequence (and sometimes even get promoted), while others makes one mistake and don't play for games at a time.

he is just not a good enough coach

simple

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 25m25 minutes ago
Ryan: "We had problems in the third period all over the ice from everybody. Guys that simply don’t want the puck, guys that simply won’t ...

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 25m25 minutes ago
... hunt the puck down and when you’re not buying into the system it’s going to take its toll." #Sens

It seems like some players have stopped listening to the coach.

How many times have these players stopped listening to the coach? Rinse and repeat.

At this point I'm more sick of our players than the coach although Cameron has indeed made some stupid decisions IMO.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
As a player why would I listen to a coach that thinks playing our AHL caliber dman as a forward for a couple of weeks instead of our skilled forward is a good idea.

A coach that takes away our leading goal scorer the past 2 seasons from the top PP unit and replaces him with Smith.

A coach that keeps putting an AHL dman on the top pair with Karlsson.

A coach that kept Smith on the 1st line LW.

Here's is an idea, how about stop hiring inexperienced crappy coaches with no track records.

I wouldn't mind Marc Crawford here, as long as he brings Mathews with him :)

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
As a player why would I listen to a coach that thinks playing our AHL caliber dman as a forward for a couple of weeks instead of our skilled forward is a good idea.

A coach that takes away our leading goal scorer the past 2 seasons from the top PP unit and replaces him with Smith.

A coach that keeps putting an AHL dman on the top pair with Karlsson.

A coach that kept Smith on the 1st line LW.

Here's is an idea, how about stop hiring inexperienced crappy coaches with no track records.

I wouldn't mind Marc Crawford here, as long as he brings Mathews with him :)

Yes he's not the best coach, but as a member of a team you still listen and follow the system.

It's not about 'you' (not actually you) as an individual. It's about the team.

Regardless of how much you may disagree with his decisions he's still the coach and you still have a commitment to your team, team members, and a job to do.
If you let you personal feelings about the coach interfere, it goes from team play to individual play = dumpster fire.

If so then you're (again not actually you) no better than someone like Drouin (me attitude)

Last edited:

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
What worries me is that I feel like Anderson is worn down. We basically need elite goaltending from here on out, and I think the high number of shots game in, game out has taken its toll on him.

At this point we can't really expect him to get better. Hopefully the all-star break gives everyone a chance to rest up.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Does anyone even think we have a remote chance at a playoff run if we make it? We will just get bounced in the first round and the young guys will collect the extremely valuable "playoff experience" and use it for next season.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Does anyone even think we have a remote chance at a playoff run if we make it? We will just get bounced in the first round and the young guys will collect the extremely valuable "playoff experience" and use it for next season.

Honestly I really hope we don't make the playoffs. The team has suffered from unexpected success for too long. There's no chance we make it past the first round, even with a healthy team. The young guys have been exposed the playoffs, now is the time to start rebuilding the defense.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Shots : 34-30 NYI
SC : 38-20
HD SC : 16-10

Isles PP had an impact on scoring chances but another game we lost in both score and SC

Decent first, good second, awful third. Very consistent :sarcasm:

Cowen and Wiercioch on ice at same games makes me want to die so slow and painfully.

Cowen is a physical monster with good wheels who has zero IQ and time bomb hands while Wier has great hands and good IQ but no wheels and soft as ****.

Atrocious how both are top 4 on this team.

Cowen and Wiercioch are not Top-4 at the same time... Problem is we have no #2, so Methot plays that role instead of being #3, and one of Wiercioch/Cowen/Claesson plays that #3 role because we lack that #2.

Defense should be :

xxxxxx-Karlsson
Methot-Ceci
Claesson-Wideman/Borowiecki

Cowen and Wiercioch traded for different assets.

Stone has really disappointed me this year tbh. He's been okay, but I don't see him as a surefire top liner anymore. He could still get there, but he's not there right now.

... sophomore season... still on pace for 59 pts

Meh. He could be a 6th D on a lot of teams. I'm not sure why fourth liners and bottom D gets so much hatred on here. You live or die by your top players usually.

You tell me...I have been asking the same questions for years. Either we don't really understand the game or either it's paranoia. You live and die with your best players.

This is a young team that just doesn't have the depth to survive injuries, particularly to veterans like MacArthur, Methot, Michalek and Turris. They also play a run and gun system that doesn't suit them very well. Sometimes it does on offense but they are not tenacious/strong enough to retrieve the puck fast enough on defense, so they are not benefiting of enough puck possession.

We're just doing n'importe quoi in our zone, and it is not a D-man thing. Everyone is guilty

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
Not a good season for Canadian hockey teams and their fans, at least we aren't alone in our frustrations. I don't know what the solution is, but I would love to see them go on a winning streak. I'm taking my daughter to a game in March, hopefully we won't be the only fans in the building!

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Murray

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
i wish we could have more shifts like the one that eventually led to the karlsson goal

You mean like a puck possession team? Yeah we look good when we do that and we don't have to defend so...

I have seriously had enough of Boro playing anything but extremely limited minutes against the opposition's scrubs. He simply isn't fit for anything more.

Boro is playing Phillips role this year... as soon as there's an injury, we're screwed

Geez, we can't buy a break and they have them bounce off guy in our net when they f up the play themselves/

First Islanders goal shouldn't have happened, that goal bounce off Cowen was pure luck... But the goal that really hurt was the 2-2 tying goal... Wiercioch falling down and then playing the man instead of the puck in front of the net (well McCormick and Ceci too for some reason), of course a Isles stick end up finding that puck... On the 3rd goal as well he was useless

If this team doesn't majorly upgrade on Wiercioch asap, no playoffs this year.

Can't win with crappy D in this league. We give up the most shots in the league. Imagine where we would be without Andy.

Of course with Hammond we would be in the bottom, but most teams have a N.1 goalie. Andy is good, like most starters. Any team that doesn't have a solid goalie is at a huge disadvantage, like the 2006-2010 Sens

It makes me so sad, but you see a game like this and I can't disagree. EK is playing balls out, and a hell of a game. Doing literally everying.

And we're losing 5-2.

This D corps without EK is the laughing stock of the league. And the forwards can't score. Sigh.

Methot, Turris, Michalek and MacArthur is way too many key injuries for this young team... all the vets too

I don't blame BM too much. He's far removed from assessing talent these last few years. BM is very dependent and decides on advice from his underlings as to who to draft, keep and trade. That includes Dorion.

This team is a reflection of that staff. That's why I think they shouldn't promote the next GM from within. If they promote an assistant for the next few years he'll continue to run the team the same way. As part of the team structure the assistants are every much in tune with the current picks, prospects and systems since they built it to their liking and BM just rubber stamped it.

To be honest, I doubt the Sens ever get a "popular" GM or coach, the "rich" teams/big markets get those...

I mean I can understand being stuck playing so many fringe NHLers because of injuries and lack of depth on D, but playing EK almost 33 minutes is just insane. We can't go ruining our only real star because management can't find anyone to help him out.

None of Ryan, Turris, Stone or Hoffman are stars? I mean at least Bobby Ryan is a star in this league... Others are still young and maybe not as proven

I'm really only watching for Karlsson's stats these days, if I was him I'd be planing on where I'm going as a FA. Such an amazing talent.

That's probably already the plan for him and most high profile players like Stone, Hoffman and Turris. Why play in a small market surrounded by Habs and Leafs fans, ****** weather and lot of taxes that can't really attract good UFA players or spend to the cap regularly? Bobby Ryan is courageous but he could still ask for a trade as well.

As an investor, Ottawa is probably not a team I'd be looking to buy. I don't like the geographic spot, unless they play the Habs or Leafs cuz that's an easy sell out. Melnyk probably makes more money with other revenues from the arena

It would be nice to see him get a cup one day and solidify himself among the great D of this generation. Hopefully when his contract is up he signs with a team that's ready to take a run at the cup and doesn't just chase the almighty dollar to the first team that throws max money at him. We can enjoy him for the next couple years though.

Always care about what you wish for :nod:

I liked the energy and push by Sens tonite despite the loss. Hammond was solid, and should play again vs NYR. *** zebras made some cheap calls, esp the 1st against EK where they scored. We missed Turry, and were short handed when MM9 got injured. A much better effort than vs NJ. Wier was wimpy on 91 leading to Hamonic's goal. Go Sens Go!

I haven't read that in a while :sarcasm:

Last edited:

blahblah3

Jan 8, 2010
How many times have these players stopped listening to the coach? Rinse and repeat.

At this point I'm more sick of our players than the coach although Cameron has indeed made some stupid decisions IMO.

Coaching cannot make up for the garbage defence and the team's wealth of injuries. It is unbelievable that if either Methot or Karl goes down the whole team collapses. Talk about paper thin depth. That is 100% BM's fault. He was great at drafting, but horrible on trades and assessing what this team needs. Top 6 forward is all I have heard from him for the last 9 years and here we are, predictably.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Coaching cannot make up for the garbage defence and the team's wealth of injuries. It is unbelievable that if either Methot or Karl goes down the whole team collapses. Talk about paper thin depth. That is 100% BM's fault. He was great at drafting, but horrible on trades and assessing what this team needs. Top 6 forward is all I have heard from him for the last 9 years and here we are, predictably.

I liked the Turris, Ryan, and Methot trades though. The top 6 forward thing is a little weird but maybe its because trading for a top 4 Dman ain't easy.

How awesome would it be if we traded for Leddy though?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I liked the Turris, Ryan, and Methot trades though. The top 6 forward thing is a little weird but maybe its because trading for a top 4 Dman ain't easy.

How awesome would it be if we traded for Leddy though?

We should have made both of those trades. Leddy and Boychuk. Can you imagine the top 4 D:

Leddy - Karlsson
Methot - Boychuk

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
We should have made both of those trades. Leddy and Boychuk. Can you imagine the top 4 D:

Leddy - Karlsson
Methot - Boychuk

I would have made the leddy trade. We also missed the boat on MDZ and John Moore. Murray's trust in cowen cost us quite a bit. Starting to think that might be a huge reason we are where we are today.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
So the dudes that were saying Methot isn't a top 4 are MIA.

Call up Claesson, waive Cowen.

Claesson - Karlsson
Methot - Ceci
Wiercioch - Wideman

not a bad looking top 6, its not great but its enough to win games relying on a good offence.

KARLSSON HAS 51 POINTS in 48 GAMES HOLY ****.

Other than Freddy is a 22 year rookie that shouldn't be playing 20 minutes a night and PW with Wideman would be a disaster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad