Speculation: Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
You do bring up a good point on Ladd, but the NMC moves to a NTC not a modified NTC. Modified NTC kicks in 2020.

I doubt Ladd would OK a move to Ottawa.

Taking back Ryan's contract makes acquiring and signing Karlsson impossible.

I agree the GM must get creative this offseason.
Ah you're right, read it wrong. I wonder if he would waive though, change of scenery.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I think you'd have to pay more than that for Karlsson. At the very least, you'd have to include Pulock to replace Karlsson on the Sens' roster going forward. I also think you're lacking that one prospect/player who projects to be a sure-fire top line/top pairing player.

Just grabbed all of the top offensive prospects and threw them together, aside from Barzal. I also don't think that gets it done and it already cripples the team. All for a guy who can walk away at the end of a year.

And no offense to the Isles, but would Karlsson see them as a contender? Would he think highly enough of management to believe they could be turned into a contender? He's coming from a dysfunctional organization, so he might be really leery of going to another organization whose had a history of also being a bit ... flaky.

You've also got Karlsson playing LD for some reason. :sarcasm:

I didn't want to disturb the great Pulock, Pelech, or Mayfield. ;)

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Just did a brief mock of trading for Karlsson. Sent Beauvillier, Ho-Sang, and Bellows over there for Karlsson and Ryan. Maybe not all of them go in a deal, but figured it'd be best to err on the side of caution.

Re-signed Pulock to 1.5 per, and Gibson is backing up Greiss. Bought out Ryan and the cap room with Karlsson is ~8.5 million but we still need a RW and an extra skater.

Lee Tavares Bailey
Ladd Barzal Eberle
Dal Colle Cizikas Clutterbuck
Johnston Fritz x

Karlsson Pulock
Leddy Boychuk
Pelech Mayfield
Aho

Greiss
Gibson

We'd need Ryan to play the first year on the fourth line, then buy him out after next season. So then there's a ~$6 or 7 million raise for Karlsson, with about a $1-2 million for a Lee raise and Eberle has to take the same deal he just came off of. The bottom 6 is still atrocious but the defense doesn't look horrid there.
I'd love to get Karlsson, but if I'm going to fantasize about next year's roster, Ladd ain't gonna be on my 2nd line, MDC and Clutterbuck won't be on the 3rd line, and I'd have something better than Johnston-Fritz-X as my 4th line. Dream big!! :)

SI

Feb 16, 2013
3C and Goalie solution in the offseason -

Ilya Samsonov's contract is up this season and Philip Grubauer is an RFA already making 1.5 m.

I wonder if a deal between Caps and Isles will work - using the Talbot deal to Edmonton as reference -

Isles deal Calgary second (43 or 44 OA) and Isles 3rd (71 OA) for Grubauer and Capitals 6th round pick.

Isles then can move Greiss for Frans Nielsen (1.25m retained in the final two years of the deal)

Signing Anton Khudobin to 2/5m

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Wouid we call Raanta an upgrade over Halak? I think so.

If he’s a free agent I make a run at him.

I just want a goaltender that is consistent. Halak's biggest issue for me is that he struggles in that area. For two weeks he'll let in red line dump ins, then play lights out for a few games, then back to the red line dump in nonsense. It's hard for players in front of such an inconsistent goalie to feel confident and comfortable about what their goalie is going to save, which puts more stress on them defensively.

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
3C and Goalie solution in the offseason -

Ilya Samsonov's contract is up this season and Philip Grubauer is an RFA already making 1.5 m.

I wonder if a deal between Caps and Isles will work - using the Talbot deal to Edmonton as reference -

Isles deal Calgary second (43 or 44 OA) and Isles 3rd (71 OA) for Grubauer and Capitals 6th round pick.

Isles then can move Greiss for Frans Nielsen (1.25m retained in the final two years of the deal)

Signing Anton Khudobin to 2/5m

You really want to go back to Frans?
Rather have a guy who can win a faceoff, preferably younger and even with Detroit retaining I don’t want to be tied to that contract.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
You really want to go back to Frans?
Rather have a guy who can win a faceoff, preferably younger and even with Detroit retaining I don’t want to be tied to that contract.

Just looking at who is available via Free Agency just not sure if anyone is a real upgrade -

Free Agency -
Tyler Bozak - Not sure if it is a smart idea to give him what he would be looking for 5y? at 5m? Is that really better than Fransie 4/18m?
Riley Nash - Who I like, but he would get at least what Nick Bonino got - 4y/17m?
Tomas Plekanec - Who I also like, but I think he wants to go back to Montreal.

Valterri Filppula - is someone who fits, but again at what term and $ - maybe 2y/8m? 3y/12? By the way, he is 34

Derek Ryan and Derek Grant could be cheaper options.
My feeling is if we could get out of that Greiss contract as well as bringing in Nielsen - I think it could be a win/win. Nielsen would be stabilizing presence on the PK and the 3rd line.

What do you think about Grubauer?

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I just want a goaltender that is consistent. Halak's biggest issue for me is that he struggles in that area. For two weeks he'll let in red line dump ins, then play lights out for a few games, then back to the red line dump in nonsense. It's hard for players in front of such an inconsistent goalie to feel confident and comfortable about what their goalie is going to save, which puts more stress on them defensively.

Completely agree. Makes the team play fragile in front of him. Raanta doesn't have the sample size to draw any conclusions. He filled in well when Lundqwist went down last year and he's played well with a moderate amount of action this year, behind a lousy team. There aren't many free agent options out there. Trade wise I can't think of many teams with a surplus of starters.

Halak's best stretch was the first half of his first season, the most consistently good goaltending we've seen; and his team responded.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

I want a goaltender who is consistent, but I also want a goaltender who is good at playing the puck.

The league (and game) gets faster every year and even this team is getting faster.

Having a goaltender who can legitimatey play the puck will keep the flow the game going would be huge for this team.

Carey Price vs. Mike Smith: Two styles of elite puckhandling goalies - Sportsnet.ca

This article delves into the differences in goaltender puck handling styles and how they affect they game. I think an "archer" as they call them in the article (along with a top four defenseman and a actual NHL-level head coach) would help clean up the Islanders' defensive zone play and improve the breakout.

I'm not advocating for Carey Price (because that contract is huge), but getting someone who can make the little plays to take pressure of the defenseman would benefit this team especially because of the direction I believe they are going in (playing with speed).

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Just looking at who is available via Free Agency just not sure if anyone is a real upgrade -

Free Agency -
Tyler Bozak - Not sure if it is a smart idea to give him what he would be looking for 5y? at 5m? Is that really better than Fransie 4/18m?
Riley Nash - Who I like, but he would get at least what Nick Bonino got - 4y/17m?
Tomas Plekanec - Who I also like, but I think he wants to go back to Montreal.

Valterri Filppula - is someone who fits, but again at what term and $ - maybe 2y/8m? 3y/12? By the way, he is 34

Derek Ryan and Derek Grant could be cheaper options.
My feeling is if we could get out of that Greiss contract as well as bringing in Nielsen - I think it could be a win/win. Nielsen would be stabilizing presence on the PK and the 3rd line.

What do you think about Grubauer?

I like Grubauer, the cost you laid out isn’t prohibitive, it’s just taking a gamble hoping a backup can be a #1 isn’t what a playoff caliber team should be doing. This is another example of Garth’s failures. The idea of Gibson, trading for another team’s backup to solve the position is a move a rebuilding team makes. I don’t see how Greiss goes anywhere without a sweetener or taking back an equally bad contract. Better off letting him work out all summer and hoping he regains his game.
I don’t have a solution to finding a starter other than what you’re proposing.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
For me, I've brought up Grubauer as a perfect fit. But why would Washington deal with NYI when plenty of other teams will be inquiring? Snow really put this team in a tough position on the back end.... both D and G.

The 3rd center shouldn't be an issue... I believe it's time to elevate Cizikas to 3C. He's getting paid that way and we already know he's solid in his own end and at faceoffs. Spend 1-2m on a veteran C to play on the 4th line who can win faceoffs and play physical. Brad Richardson, or Jay Beagle shouldn't command much more than 1-2m and both fit the bill. The more pressing issue in the bottom 6 is figuring out what to do with Brock Nelson.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
For me, I've brought up Grubauer as a perfect fit. But why would Washington deal with NYI when plenty of other teams will be inquiring? Snow really put this team in a tough position on the back end.... both D and G.

The 3rd center shouldn't be an issue... I believe it's time to elevate Cizikas to 3C. He's getting paid that way and we already know he's solid in his own end and at faceoffs. Spend 1-2m on a veteran C to play on the 4th line who can win faceoffs and play physical. Brad Richardson, or Jay Beagle shouldn't command much more than 1-2m and both fit the bill. The more pressing issue in the bottom 6 is figuring out what to do with Brock Nelson.

I like Casey - I really don't see him being able to C the 3rd line. Elevating him and bringing in Jay Beagle doesn't improve the bottom 6 in my opinion. The bottom 6 below would be dominated every night-
Ladd - Cizikas- Ho-Sang
Wagner- Beagle - Clutterbuck

On Grubauer - yeah he seems like a really good fit- but the central ? Is Could Washington/Islanders trade exist?

Another back up they could look at would be Nashville's back up Juse Saros, but I think we may have to give up more and not sure if Nashville would want to trade him when he is so cost effective.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
I like Grubauer, the cost you laid out isn’t prohibitive, it’s just taking a gamble hoping a backup can be a #1 isn’t what a playoff caliber team should be doing. This is another example of Garth’s failures. The idea of Gibson, trading for another team’s backup to solve the position is a move a rebuilding team makes. I don’t see how Greiss goes anywhere without a sweetener or taking back an equally bad contract. Better off letting him work out all summer and hoping he regains his game.
I don’t have a solution to finding a starter other than what you’re proposing.

Greiss will be very difficult to move which is why I suggested taking back an equal bad contract.

Nielsen's NMC changes to a Modified NTC next season, so it maybe possible. Greiss' final year can be bought out, but Frans can't.

I think it might be a win- win - rid yourself of Greiss and solve the 3C.

Goaltending has been a longstanding issue and one that I do not see an easy solution. the GM will have to get creative or go with more of the same. Grubauer is in an unique situation - sandwiched between current #1 and future #1 and he is an RFA. He might want to go somewhere where he could possibly be a #1. Washington prospect pool is pretty bad - they might want those extra picks.

But it goes back to if Washington will deal with Isles?

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
I sort of want JT gone. its the only chance ledecky, if he is allowed to blows up the front office. People complain about snows drafting and fear of making trades but the worst part of snow is he controls what goes on on the ice the way brian cashman does with the yankees. thats why snow only hires rookie coaches. its why girardi was let go for a tv guy. cashman knows basebaal at least. good gossege said f'n cashman should get in the dugout and manage himself. Snow might as well do the same.

Reactions: Nazem to Nylander

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Is there any Islander fans who actually want JT to go? just curious overall, have a soft spot for this franchise
Definitely. There are people who think he sucks/not worth the overpayment, people who think he'll sharply decline, people who wanted to trade him for a haul (and build around Barzal) or people who want him gone if it means Snow gets fired that way.

Reactions: Nazem to Nylander
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad