Speculation: Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
Is there any Islander fans who actually want JT to go? just curious overall, have a soft spot for this franchise

Oh for sure. I'd say it's probably most of us who would prefer if he signs with his hometown Leafs.

Why would we want to keep the marginally talented John Tavares?

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Is there any Islander fans who actually want JT to go? just curious overall, have a soft spot for this franchise

He’s the best thing to happen to this franchise in 25 years. That being said as much as I root for this team and Tavares, he’d be a fool to stay. The prime years of his career were wasted playing for this sh*t show of an organization. There is no commitment to winning, no accountability from top to bottom. I would seriously question his motives and sanity if he stayed here.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

Oh yes, there are. You'd have to get through quite a lot of this board, but there are countless disscussion about how bad/overpaid/slow/useless he is. Some even wish that he doesn't get points in games from now, because he's probably leaving. There's a lot of very interesting things here.

Reactions: Nazem to Nylander

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Oh for sure. I'd say it's probably most of us who would prefer if he signs with his hometown Leafs.

Why would we want to keep the marginally talented John Tavares?

honestly, JT is great and all but i'm not crazy about him coming here nor do i really want him to.

Not saying i'd turn down JT (who would?) but at 10 - 12 million i'd rather just keep our course. I like the Islander franchise and was just curious if Barzal's emergence changed some opinions of NYI fans.

Im not coming off in the way you think i am

Tavares to Marner

Dec 20, 2011
Hamilton
Oh yes, there are. You'd have to get through quite a lot of this board, but there are countless disscussion about how bad/overpaid/slow/useless he is. Some even wish that he doesn't get points in games from now, because he's probably leaving. There's a lot of very interesting things here.

Yeah i find the whole situation very interesting, some NYI fans love him and some can't honestly stand him at all. I have noticed though JT has been mailing it in the last 25 games

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Yeah i find the whole situation very interesting, some NYI fans love him and some can't honestly stand him at all. I have noticed though JT has been mailing it in the last 25 games
i don't see too many that can't stand him.

the people arguing that maybe he should be traded, are citing that he is slow, is not very good defensively, and may be very expensive.

IMO, if he signs on the Isle for 9 mil, everyone will be happy. 10-11, i think the board is meh. above 11, and many will say he's overpaid.

probably should do a poll.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
honestly, JT is great and all but i'm not crazy about him coming here nor do i really want him to.

Not saying i'd turn down JT (who would?) but at 10 - 12 million i'd rather just keep our course. I like the Islander franchise and was just curious if Barzal's emergence changed some opinions of NYI fans.

Im not coming off in the way you think i am
I think this season the fan frustration is really boiling over and some are taking it out on JT. Barzal is the shiny new toy and he’s having an elite rookie season and I expect him to build on that but I can’t imagine more than one or two people here who want Tavares to not be the face of the franchise.

Last edited:

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
I think this season the fan frustration is really boiling over and some are taking it out on JT. Barzal is the shiny new toy and he’s having an elite rookie season and I expect him to build on that but I can’t imagine more than one or tao people here who want Tavares to not be the face of the franchise.

This is very true, it is a very discouraging season and it falls on the bad coaching... JT is a frustrated player as are many... even after the win over the Pens the team did not have it's typical elation...

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
If he leaves, I'll be upset that we got nothing out of it.

Regarding Barzal...He's having a great season, but come on..anything can happen. He needs to do this continuously for the next 4 years, THEN we can believe he can help us win. I dont want Barzal be a one hit wonder, but he's still capable of being one...so dont think we are safe if JT leaves.

Reactions: bigtim1988 and dood

Instant

Feb 20, 2018
If he leaves, I'll be upset that we got nothing out of it.

Regarding Barzal...He's having a great season, but come on..anything can happen. He needs to do this continuously for the next 4 years, THEN we can believe he can help us win. I dont want Barzal be a one hit wonder, but he's still capable of being one...so dont think we are safe if JT leaves.

What do you mean? You don't want to say that we didn't find a saviour for this team in Barzal?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Staple in his latest mailbag mentioned OEL, Trouba, and Klefbom as targets if their current teams are interested in moving them.

Says this will cost a haul, but that the Isles have the pieces to get it done. Brock Nelson is the main forward chip (Ladd/Clutter/Cizikas not getting moved), and that even Anders Lee could be a chip for a top 4 D or top 6 C if John Tavares departs.

He also said they want to give Kulemin a look for a potential return on a one year deal.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
With Boychuk and Pulock on the right, I'd be happier with either Klefbom or OEL for the left.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
With Boychuk and Pulock on the right, I'd be happier with either Klefbom or OEL for the left.

Yeah, those would be my top two guys of the three mentioned. Part of me wishes we had the cap to bring back de Haan. His abscence makes you appreciate his ability to make a breakout pass.

OEL/Klefbom, Leddy, de Haan would be a strong left side, but that doesn’t seem viable cap wise and with Pelech (although he could be a chip in a D deal), Toews (although he also has a shoulder injury), Aho, Vande Sompel, Wotherspoon in the fold.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
TBH this team needs more than JT.....as evidence by the past 2 seasons. JT signing for more than what he makes now does not help this team. Which is why I would have traded him last summer. Called a troll for my opinion.
Since GMG signed bloated contracts to other players this team needs to start over including GM and coach staff. Barzal is an excellent piece to have at the beginning of a rebuild. Let JT walk.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
TBH this team needs more than JT.....as evidence by the past 2 seasons. JT signing for more than what he makes now does not help this team. Which is why I would have traded him last summer. Called a troll for my opinion.
Since GMG signed bloated contracts to other players this team needs to start over including GM and coach staff. Barzal is an excellent piece to have at the beginning of a rebuild. Let JT walk.

A competent GM should be able to move out some of the bad pieces and figure it out with Tavares and Barzal. We've seen a lot of teams get out from under bad contracts, so it's possible.

Instant

Feb 20, 2018

Of course we need more than JT! But unless we'd get horrbily, amazingly lucky with a new GM and drafting, in 5 years we'll be writing "this team needs more than Barzal". Look at the top teams in the league, they all have more than one star player, because that's the reality now and that's what you need to have a shot at the Cup... Or even to get into the playoffs. I don't see how letting a star player walk away for nothing is something we should consider doing.

And if your argument here is that Barzal can turn out to be much better than JT, go look at the Oilers. They have McJesus and still are in a deep shit.

Reactions: periferal

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Staple in his latest mailbag mentioned OEL, Trouba, and Klefbom as targets if their current teams are interested in moving them.

Says this will cost a haul, but that the Isles have the pieces to get it done. Brock Nelson is the main forward chip (Ladd/Clutter/Cizikas not getting moved), and that even Anders Lee could be a chip for a top 4 D or top 6 C if John Tavares departs.

He also said they want to give Kulemin a look for a potential return on a one year deal.
Is it just me, or is one of those three not like the others?

Barring a ping-pong ball miracle gifting us Dahlin, OEL is what this team needs.

Reactions: bigtim1988

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Of course we need more than JT! But unless we'd get horrbily, amazingly lucky with a new GM and drafting, in 5 years we'll be writing "this team needs more than Barzal". Look at the top teams in the league, they all have more than one star player, because that's the reality now and that's what you need to have a shot at the Cup... Or even to get into the playoffs. I don't see how letting a star player walk away for nothing is something we should consider doing.

And if your argument here is that Barzal can turn out to be much better than JT, go look at the Oilers. They have McJesus and still are in a deep ****.

Applause. Agree with every word and more importantly...The philosophy of this post is 100% on point.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
A competent GM should be able to move out some of the bad pieces and figure it out with Tavares and Barzal. We've seen a lot of teams get out from under bad contracts, so it's possible.

You might be able to move out Clutterbuck but good luck with Ladd. I’m pretty sure they’ll luck out because the new CBA will have a buyout but they’d otherwise be stuck with him for 5 years

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Thanks for posting this.
With OEL so close to hitting the ufa market, I'd rather get Klefbom who has 3-4 yrs left on his deal. Oilers have said they want speed and McDavid needs a winger.
A package of JHS+ the lower 1st rounder?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You might be able to move out Clutterbuck but good luck with Ladd. I’m pretty sure they’ll luck out because the new CBA will have a buyout but they’d otherwise be stuck with him for 5 years

I agree, but they only need to get out from under some of them.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It would be great if they could move Clutter and use his money to resign DeHaan. Something as simple as that would really make a large difference.

Clutterbuck bleeds grit and de Haan wants to much to he the only D on the team who can make a breakout pass.

Unfortunately that’s the mindset of Garth Snow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad