Speculation: Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Stop talking about free agent signings. If you want to know if you have a good/bad GM then look no further than the most important thing when trying to build a winner...

Drafting.

Look at all the teams that have ever won a Cup and all of them had some outstanding draft picks on them. Usually it is the GM who handles the top picks (usually round 1) and then relies much more heavily on scouts for the later picks.

When you look at all the VERY high draft picks snow has had to work with since 2009, he has not come close to maximizing the return on those great assets. Since it costs relatively nothing to sign those picks and they have zero say in you drafting them, to not hit on your draft picks is the first sign on someone who needs to be fired.

To further...If you had to pick just one thing that snow has done in his 12 years that alone deserved firing it would be how he handled the Nino situation. Let's start with the fact that other than the no-brainer Tavares pick, Nino was the only top-5 pick snow had that he came close to hitting on. That's horrible, but what's even worse is that snow a 19 year old top prospect because he had an "attitude problem" when in fact Nino's agent questioned the way his client was using him to mess with the cap floor. Nino has been great on the Wild with no "attitude" problem so what snow did is put his ego above the team and ship out anyone who questions him.

And after all that he send a top prospect out for a 4th liner. 100 times out of a 100 it would have been better to hold Nino to see if things got better at the risk of him becoming nothing.

Even if Nino was the worst head-case of all time, then you handle him the way that Yzerman handled Drouin - You keep your ego in check, don't let the player dictate how things are going to go, hold him forever if need be, but don't trade him until there is a deal on the table that makes sense. By Yzerman holding on to Drouin until he got a great deal in Sergachev he did what was best for the Lightning - Not his ego.

So with snow we have a GM who can not only not evaluate talent, but needs to be the most important person in the organization. As a result anyone who he can't control will be gone. That's not what is best for the Islanders and why we've been so mediocre to bad for over a decade now.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
To further...If you had to pick just one thing that snow has done in his 12 years that alone deserved firing it would be how he handled the Nino situation. Let's start with the fact that other than the no-brainer Tavares pick, Nino was the only top-5 pick snow had that he came close to hitting on. That's horrible, but what's even worse is that snow a 19 year old top prospect because he had an "attitude problem" when in fact Nino's agent questioned the way his client was using him to mess with the cap floor. Nino has been great on the Wild with no "attitude" problem so what snow did is put his ego above the team and ship out anyone who questions him.

And after all that he send a top prospect out for a 4th liner. 100 times out of a 100 it would have been better to hold Nino to see if things got better at the risk of him becoming nothing.

Even if Nino was the worst head-case of all time, then you handle him the way that Yzerman handled Drouin - You keep your ego in check, don't let the player dictate how things are going to go, hold him forever if need be, but don't trade him until there is a deal on the table that makes sense. By Yzerman holding on to Drouin until he got a great deal in Sergachev he did what was best for the Lightning - Not his ego.
Ho-Sang, anyone?

The same direction, even w/out the headache of comparing the players in absolute terms.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Ho-Sang, anyone?

The same direction, even w/out the headache of comparing the players in absolute terms.

Ho-Sang is immature, but so far he hasn't questioned snow's authority the way Nino did. If you look at it in a limited fashion it would be very easy to lump Nino an Ho-Sang into a "problem child" bucket, but the subtle nuance of questioning/not questioning snow is a massive difference.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Ho-Sang is immature, but so far he hasn't questioned snow's authority the way Nino did. If you look at it in a limited fashion it would be very easy to lump Nino an Ho-Sang into a "problem child" bucket, but the subtle nuance of questioning/not questioning snow is a massive difference.
This is actually something I wonder about: given the treatment Snow and Weight administered to JHS, it's strange he hasn't complained yet. Who is his agent?

PS. I don't question his "immaturity" ... except for the question "who is responsible in the Islanders organization for the development of these young immature talents?"

Kauskey

Mar 16, 2007
This is actually something I wonder about: given the treatment Snow and Weight administered to JHS, it's strange he hasn't complained yet. Who is his agent?

Nino and Ho-Sang are just two different situations. Ho-Sang has a reputation for being a nuisance and a disruption. Having his agent demand a trade or speak out (the way Nino's did), would not help his NHL career at all. Nino had no bad rap. His career and potential future earnings were on the verge of being ruined by incompetent management. If he didn't get out of dodge, his next contract (which I think was up soon) would have been a quarter of what it is currently. Nino's agent did what was best for his client.

Imagine the headlines if JHS' agent demanded a trade. You know hockey media would be all over it, and the story line would be about JHS' attitude instead of the Islander's incompetence.

Reactions: periferal

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Richie is well known for his crimes committed with his dagger.

Posters Beware .....
his foam dagger doesn't scare me, but some people that are new here, might shy away, and that's a shame. the more opinions, the better.

I've been... hurt. In the past.

Please, my feelings are fragile.

you are funny. i kinda see you as a cross between Jerry Lewis and the spider girl from The Ring, lol.

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
Imagine the headlines if JHS' agent demanded a trade. You know hockey media would be all over it, and the story line would be about JHS' attitude instead of the Islander's incompetence.
Except that almost no-one cover the Islanders and no hockey media would be over it. Nino trade (and his demands before that) was not a big deal at that time. That's why Snow flipped him (a top-5 pick) for a bottom-6 player without any repercussions.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79

PS. I don't question his "immaturity" ... except for the question "who is responsible in the Islanders organization for the development of these young immature talents?"

I am not privy to what goes on behind the scenes, but it wouldn't surprise me if more players demand a trade, than we hear of. But most have the common sense to keep it out of the press. This only hurts the players cause, as it lowers his trade value, and he risks being seen as a disruptive influence.

The owners and the Players Association have essentially agreed that the first 9 years of a player's career are in the hands of the owners. When a player becomes an unrestricted free agent at the age of 27, then they are in control. It's a pretty fair deal in my opinion.

I am certain that when a player does go public and they are young (RFA), this pisses off the owners and the general manager. And at this point, there is a pretty good chance that a resolution that is acceptable to both parties, goes out the window.

In the case of Josh Ho-Sang, I honestly don't think that management has done a great job or a poor job. It certainly is a tightrope act. And we certainly need his type of skill set. I just want to see the kid work his ass off and become a star. And of course I want to see us win a cup.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Nino and Ho-Sang are just two different situations. Ho-Sang has a reputation for being a nuisance and a disruption. Having his agent demand a trade or speak out (the way Nino's did), would not help his NHL career at all. Nino had no bad rap. His career and potential future earnings were on the verge of being ruined by incompetent management. If he didn't get out of dodge, his next contract (which I think was up soon) would have been a quarter of what it is currently. Nino's agent did what was best for his client.

A nuisance and disruption? Not the description I would use. I think offbeat and stubborn are more accurate descriptions.
I do agree that if JHS demanded a trade it wouldn't help his rep. He turns 23 next Jan. and will be out of waiver options.
Isles will have to either put up with JHS growing pains at the nhl level ,trade him or lose him off waivers.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I am not privy to what goes on behind the scenes, but it wouldn't surprise me if more players demand a trade, than we hear of. But most have the common sense to keep it out of the press. This only hurts the players cause, as it lowers his trade value, and he risks being seen as a disruptive influence.

The owners and the Players Association have essentially agreed that the first 9 years of a player's career are in the hands of the owners. When a player becomes an unrestricted free agent at the age of 27, then they are in control. It's a pretty fair deal in my opinion.

I read a Ryan Strome interview when he was playing well and things looked to be on the upswing. He talked about being demoted to the ahl,how upset he had been and how basically his agent talked him down, convinced him that time spent in the ahl would only make him a better player.
Reading that interview,I came away grateful for the agent's calming influence.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Still surprised this kid never built off his 50 pt season,that he has not developed into a consistent top 6 scorer. Coming out of his draft,I thought he was a safe pick

I actually thought the opposite of him -- that he'd either hit or he'd be a big miss. That was why I was so down on him coming into the draft (I was high on Dougie Hamilton at that point).

Strome essentially had to become Claude Giroux; a mediocre skater who got by on his extraordinary vision and playmaking ability, plus his defensive smarts and grit. None of those things seemed to develop to the level they needed to be for Strome to compensate for his weaknesses.

Glory Days

Aug 16, 2012
Charlotte
Still surprised this kid never built off his 50 pt season,that he has not developed into a consistent top 6 scorer. Coming out of his draft,I thought he was a safe pick

Strome never put in the time to improve his skating and strength. If Strome had half of Tavares work ethic I think he would still be on the Isles.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
the more opinions, the better.
h6Yl03q.gif

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009

Strome was considered a 'Home Run' kind of pick. If he hit, wow.... (barzal like)

If he misses............(....the Strome Family).

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
For people forgetting, Nino was brought up so we could reach the salary floor that year. I put 80% of the blame on Wang and the other 20% on Flap Jack Capuano for pairing him with Reasoner and Pandolfo if memory serves me correct.

Reactions: dood

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
For people forgetting, Nino was brought up so we could reach the salary floor that year. I put 80% of the blame on Wang and the other 20% on Flap Jack Capuano for pairing him with Reasoner and Pandolfo if memory serves me correct.

I would agree, but if we are going to assign 80% blame to Wang, snow and capuano should split the remaining 20%

Reactions: dood

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
wang hired snow who hired capuano, so 100% of the blame will always be on wang.

How do you expect Snow to be fired if you take your foot off the gas pedal even for a moment to post about Wang! It's all Snow, all the time. You know this! Anything less than that and we'll be stuck with him for another season.

C'mon peri, we're all counting on you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad