Speculation: Islanders General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It would be great if they could move Clutter and use his money to resign DeHaan. Something as simple as that would really make a large difference.

It kills me that CdH is probably gone. I know I've been one of his biggest supporters. I think we see now how steady and solid he was as the #2 LD.

I think it's imperative we fill his spot with someone as good or better. Banking on Devon Toews to replace him reminds me of Donovan replacing Streit back in the day.

Reactions: MattBarzal

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It kills me that CdH is probably gone. I know I've been one of his biggest supporters. I think we see now how steady and solid he was as the #2 LD.

I think it's imperative we fill his spot with someone as good or better. Banking on Devon Toews to replace him reminds me of Donovan replacing Streit back in the day.

Whatever happened to that stats guy who seemed to judge players exclusively on their advanced stats?

Stercrazy

Jul 4, 2007
Of course we need more than JT! But unless we'd get horrbily, amazingly lucky with a new GM and drafting, in 5 years we'll be writing "this team needs more than Barzal". Look at the top teams in the league, they all have more than one star player, because that's the reality now and that's what you need to have a shot at the Cup... Or even to get into the playoffs. I don't see how letting a star player walk away for nothing is something we should consider doing.

And if your argument here is that Barzal can turn out to be much better than JT, go look at the Oilers. They have McJesus and still are in a deep ****.

I never said Barzal > JT. My point was exactly yours. It doesn't matter because L&M keep Garth at GM. And that is ownership failure. They are allowing him to continue. The longer that happens the deeper this abis goes.

islesfan66

Nov 6, 2013
saw a few reports the flames may be looking to get back into the first round and dougie hamilton might be available... i know it'd be weird but i wouldn't mind sending some combo of picks/dman to the flames got hamilton

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl

can someone tell me why Garth didnt expose Dehaan via expansion draft only to lose him next year to URFA? We gave up a first rounder to Vegas to do what again? Free up cap space to do what?

Head scratching asset management. Anyone think Snow signs JT and Dehaan before July 1st?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
saw a few reports the flames may be looking to get back into the first round and dougie hamilton might be available... i know it'd be weird but i wouldn't mind sending some combo of picks/dman to the flames got hamilton
According to Flame posters, Brodie has had a back to back disappointing seasons and while Hamilton is not a rock in his own end of the ice, he does rack up points.
I would be surprised if Brodie is not tbe one shopped.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Flames are going to shop whoever yields the highest return.

Personally, I think their only D worth a damn is Giordano and he is their Captain, and on a long term deal with what I presume has trade protection. Plus he’s on the older side.

Unless Calgary would be willing to move Gaudreau or Monahan (which is just fantasy talk), then I don’t NYI flipping picks back to Calgary.

There’s a reason that team has never taken off in my opinion, some of those guys are overrated.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

Yeah, I love Toews (got my degree from
QU), love his game, think he’s a modern day defenseman, etc.

But lets be honest with ourselves, he’s 24, having never played in an NHL game yet, and coming off major surgery. I find it really hard to believe that he is just going to transition to the NHL immediately and perform at the level we saw from de Haan.

I think you have to explore bringing de Haan back, I wonder if he would take a 2 year deal at 5m per (or 3/4 year deal at 4.5m per with no trade protection in years 3/4).

I think you just have to get creative and try and sign him to a deal even if you don’t foresee him playing the contract out. It’s just smart GM in my opinion.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
Reading Friedman's 31 - mentions Flames will look to acquire #1- wonder if Brodie will be the bait

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
can someone tell me why Garth didnt expose Dehaan via expansion draft only to lose him next year to URFA? We gave up a first rounder to Vegas to do what again? Free up cap space to do what?

Head scratching asset management. Anyone think Snow signs JT and Dehaan before July 1st?

That's not what happened, so there is no answer to your question.

beach

Aug 17, 2005
here
That's not what happened, so there is no answer to your question.

That's exactly what Snow did.

He gave Vegas a first-round pick in the draft, a second-round pick in 2019, Mikhail Grabovski (and his $5 million contract), and Jake Bischoff. In return, Vegas agreed to take Berube.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
That's exactly what Snow did.

He gave Vegas a first-round pick in the draft, a second-round pick in 2019, Mikhail Grabovski (and his $5 million contract), and Jake Bischoff. In return, Vegas agreed to take Berube.

He didn't do that just to protect de Haan, which is my point. Every time one of the players that was protected is brought up in a negative way we see the same type of comments, "why did Snow give up those picks to protect [x] player?!" when that's not what happened. He gave up those assets to protect everyone.

We've seen the same thing talked about for Strome, Nelson, Pelech, Pulock, Bailey, and de Haan.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

When it happened I was screaming this at the top of my lungs and no one would have any of it. The way he handled the expansion draft was yet another fireable offense all on it's own.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
He didn't do that just to protect de Haan, which is my point. Every time one of the players that was protected is brought up in a negative way we see the same type of comments, "why did Snow give up those picks to protect [x] player?!" when that's not what happened. He gave up those assets to protect everyone.

We've seen the same thing talked about for Strome, Nelson, Pelech, Pulock, Bailey, and de Haan.

While you're right, the premise that he did it to protect Calvin isn't entirely wrong either.... as he was the most likely to get picked off by Vegas if the deal wasn't made.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
When it happened I was screaming this at the top of my lungs and no one would have any of it. The way he handled the expansion draft was yet another fireable offense all on it's own.

I don't view it badly at all, but a lot of that is because we have no idea what McPhee was doing on his end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad