Is Matthews underrated on these boards?

Is Matthews not making the top 10 C on these boards a complete joke?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
He admitted it about his lack of conditioning after the Leafs were eliminated...and Babcock was already managing his minutes last year...his points total in those games against the Caps is a testament to his talent and skill...if we're going to make a deeper run in the playoffs this year, we need Matthews to be fresher so that he can be more effective each time he steps onto the ice.
If that means Matthews can be a lot better in the playoffs it's something I wont object to see happening.

Reactions: Superstar

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
LOL...I guess you haven't seen much...just go compare Matthews TOI numbers (including limited PP time) to some of those so called top centres, then compare his output to theirs...it's quite obvious he's a superstar...the figures defend themselves.

It really depends on your definition of a SUPERstar....Some would say the NHL has 5 of them, others would say there's 50.

- Crosby
- Ovechkin
- McDavid
- Malkin

Are the only guys that no one can argue against.....who's Matthews gonna replace?

Also, I'm aware that Matthews may have some advanced stats that are better then some names listed above.......but if we use your argument, you may notice.......

Even Strength points per 60 min:

1. McDavid 2.98 (134gms)
2. Barzal 2.85 (57gms)
3. Marchand 2.80 (119gms)
4. Malkin 2.80 (113gms)
5. Stamkos 2.67 (71gms)
6. Kucherov 2.66 (128gms)
7. Gaudreau 2.60 (126gms)

8. Leivo 2.52 (25gms)
9. Scheifele 2.50 (117gms)
10. Matthews 2.49 (128gms)
11. Getzlaf 2.47 (105gms)

Leivo is a ******* SUPERSTAR !

Now please give Leivo the respect he deserves & tell me he's a SUPERSTAR ! I mean....

..."the figures defend themselves"..."it's quite obvious he's a superstar"..."compare his output to the so called top centers"...

Disagree?

..."LOL"..."I guess you haven't seen much"...

Last edited:

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
It really depends on your definition of a SUPERstar....Some would say the NHL has 5 of them, others would say there's 50.

- Crosby
- Ovechkin
- McDavid
- Malkin

Are the only guys that no one can argue against.....who's Matthews gonna replace?

Also, I'm aware that Matthews may have some advanced stats that are better then some names listed above.......but if we use your argument, you may notice.......

Even Strength points per 60 min:

1. McDavid 2.98 (134gms)
2. Barzal 2.85 (57gms)
3. Marchand 2.80 (119gms)
4. Malkin 2.80 (113gms)
5. Stamkos 2.67 (71gms)
6. Kucherov 2.66 (128gms)
7. Gaudreau 2.60 (126gms)

8. Leivo 2.52 (25gms)
9. Scheifele 2.50 (117gms)
10. Matthews 2.49 (128gms)
11. Getzlaf 2.47 (105gms)

Leivo is a ******* SUPERSTAR !

Now please give Leivo the credit he deserves & tell me he's a SUPERSTAR!

I only need to hear it once and...."the figures defend themselves"...."LOL"....

First off your math is actually off, Matthews has a 2.61 ES PP/60. Secondly Matthews has a 2.98 ES PP/60 this season meaning he's taken a massive leap offensively (as expected). He would very well be in contention for the rocket again and would be sitting at near 55-60 points had he not been hurt. Of the 5 guys you listed, yes they are all superstars but so is Auston Matthews. I don't particularly care where he belongs in the league rankings but the kid is an absolute stud. Matthews playing for the Leafs and being the face of the franchise alone makes him a superstar. He is one of the most marketable players league wide, especially being American. He is one of the reason why we got the winter classic game again and every american broadcast carrying a Leafs game (+ NHL tv) gives him coverage and praise like he's jesus.

Josh Leivo has played very well in his time in the lineup but his sample size is too small compared to the other guys to make a fair assessment.

Reactions: Superstar

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
apparently Barzal is better than Matthews now. I have super low expectations for those morons on the mainboard, and they can't even live up to them

I chuckled at that post.

Unfortunately, too many posters just take cheap shots at the Leafs and Leaf fans to get likes on here. Those same posters are the ones who go "this is why everyone hates Leaf fans" over every little thing.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
First off your math is actually off, Matthews has a 2.61 ES PP/60. Secondly Matthews has a 2.98 ES PP/60 this season meaning he's taken a massive leap offensively (as expected). He would very well be in contention for the rocket again and would be sitting at near 55-60 points had he not been hurt. Of the 5 guys you listed, yes they are all superstars but so is Auston Matthews. I don't particularly care where he belongs in the league rankings but the kid is an absolute stud. Matthews playing for the Leafs and being the face of the franchise alone makes him a superstar. He is one of the most marketable players league wide, especially being American. He is one of the reason why we got the winter classic game again and every american broadcast carrying a Leafs game (+ NHL tv) gives him coverage and praise like he's jesus.

Josh Leivo has played very well in his time in the lineup but his sample size is too small compared to the other guys to make a fair assessment.

I agree with all of this.....was just giving a sassy answer to a sassy poster. One who started off a critical response to my comment with "LOL...I guess you haven't seen much."

......turns out, it was because I said Matthews was 'a star in the making'.....it seems that my lack of higher praise was laugh out loud worthy.

In truth, you almost got a bit of the sass youself.......starting any response with "First off" is a dangerous game. BTW I copy & pasted the stat line from a guy who posted it on this thread earlier. I did not verify the stats with math. My apologies.

AM34 FOR LIFE !!! AM I RIGHT BOYS ?!!??!???

I lied. That was sass.

Last edited:
Reactions: King Clancy

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I chuckled at that post.

Unfortunately, too many posters just take cheap shots at the Leafs and Leaf fans to get likes on here. Those same posters are the ones who go "this is why everyone hates Leaf fans" over every little thing.
Yet when Leafs fans call them out we still get trashed on. How many times do we have to give examples of other fans who bashed Phil Kessel during his time as a Maple Leaf and now he is loved by everyone else. They act like it never happened when they get called out on it.

Reactions: Mats13

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
He isnt the focal point of the Leafs pp which i think explains 95% of why he doesnt have the lofty point totals.

If this helps bring down his contract AAV im all for it. (And keeps him fresher for playoffs)

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
I agree with all of this.....was just giving a sassy answer to a sassy poster. One who started off a critical response to my comment with "LOL...I guess you haven't seen much."

......turns out, it was because I said Matthews was 'a star in the making'.....it seems that my lack of higher praise was laugh out loud worthy.

In truth, you almost got a bit of the sass youself.......starting any response with "First off" is a dangerous game. BTW I copy & pasted the stat line from a guy who posted it on this thread earlier. I did not verify the stats with math. My apologies.

AM34 FOR LIFE !!! AM I RIGHT BOYS ?!!??!???

I lied. That was sass.
My bad. Carry on.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
HF are the same people that are slobbing off Kessel as an MVP (lmfao) now, they just hate Toronto.

Look at what Matthews did in his rookie season and the praise he got v Barzal and Boeser.

I just wish Babcock would've unleashed him this year and he stopped ****ing around with Hyman on the 1st line and also gave Matthews the PP time he deserves (not 40 second ****ing shifts).

I do not wish that.....sign him for 8 years.....then unleash him.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
We don't need forum member validation. His play and dominance on the ice is proof enough.

On a related note, in this morning's scrum, Babcock said he had tears in his eyes when the Leafs won the Matthews lottery :laugh:

Reactions: ACC1224

Jun 27, 2005
There are three kinds of fans:

1) Puck watchers. These people follow the puck and miss everything else. Because they follow the puck they are impressed by flashy skating and fancy moves like Berezin, Grabovski and Nylander. Matthews is not flashy he just seems to know where the puck will be in the future. If you watch the puck you’re going to miss almost everything Matthews does. When Matthews is off he can appear a bit boring if you’re a puck watcher.

2) Stats watchers. These people are obsessed with numbers and have no clue because hockey can’t be understood with numbers like baseball can.

3) People who get it. These people understand the game offensively and defensively and they know how special Matthews is.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
One specific poster even said Leafs fans would now say Barzal is better than Marner.

To be fair, I believe that if Barzal was a Leaf and Marner played somewhere else, Leaf fans would be near unanimous at this point in saying that Barzal>>> Marner.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
apparently Barzal is better than Matthews now. I have super low expectations for those morons on the mainboard, and they can't even live up to them

Barzal is producing at an unsustainable pace and if he doesn't hit the wall sometime this year he's going to crash into it next near. I'm calling it now. That Islanders pure run and gun style does work great for him though.

And as for the main boards: notice how it's never Laine/Eichel/whoever else that they want to compare other good young players too, it's always the Leafs players. It's not too hard to figure out what's going on psychologically with them. Now imagine what's going to be going on with them psychologically if the Leafs go deep in the playoffs this year.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
To be fair, I believe that if Barzal was a Leaf and Marner played somewhere else, Leaf fans would be near unanimous at this point in saying that Barzal>>> Marner.
That would depend. It doesn't seem like the defensive side of the game is stressed in NY.
We know Marner would put up a massive amount of points in NY playing that style, could Barzal still excel while being forced to play a two way game?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
That would depend. It doesn't seem like the defensive side of the game is stressed in NY.
We know Marner would put up a massive amount of points in NY playing that style, could Barzal still excel while being forced to play a two way game?

Fair point.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
How many NHL centres are capable of scoring 40 goals in a season.. I know Matthews is one of them, and that has to count for something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad