Is Matthews underrated on these boards?

Is Matthews not making the top 10 C on these boards a complete joke?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Hf is a joke:

Leafs don't have a top 10 C
Leafs don't have a top 30 D
Leafs don't have a top 10 G
Leafs are average
Leafs defence is an eye sore
Leafs top 9 isn't among the best

Yet here we are with the Leafs 6th in the league.

So who's more delusional? Leafs fans or the rest of Hf?
You forgot the Leafs benefit from playing in the Atlantic even though they have hardly played anyone from their division as much. Last week when the Leafs shutout both the Islanders and Rangers in back to back games, we were told how both those teams are not that good this season.

Reactions: MattySnipes

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Hf is a joke:

Leafs don't have a top 10 C
Leafs don't have a top 30 D
Leafs don't have a top 10 G
Leafs are average
Leafs defence is an eye sore
Leafs top 9 isn't among the best

Yet here we are with the Leafs 6th in the league.

So who's more delusional? Leafs fans or the rest of Hf?
All on top of being Colorado Avalance 2.0 from 4 years ago with miraculous health and an overachieving roster.

Our Leafs truly are something aren't they?

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
He's honestly borderline and basically interchangeable with a handful of others.

I think you have Crosby, McDavid, Malkin, Stamkos, Kopitar and Bergeron who are just simply better at this point. Then there's Tavares, Giroux, Getzlaf, Seguin, Scheifele, on a similar level for some very different reasons.

Good news is he's moving up while lost others are on their way down.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
All on top of being Colorado Avalance 2.0 from 4 years ago with miraculous health and an overachieving roster.

Our Leafs truly are something aren't they?
Compared to last season they can not say the Leafs have been a healthy team. Look at the games missed by Matthews, Rielly and Zaitsev.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Now I have seen it all. Someone just said Matthews should not have been ranked #10 on TSN's top 50 list, however it was ok for McDavid to be ranked #37 and should have been higher before he played a game in his rookie season. That's the most obvious Leafs hate and bias I have seen on these boards.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Matthews came back from 15 votes down to beat getzlaf by 8 votes and slide into #10.
TSN has Matthews as the 10th best player (4th best C) so obviously a bit of disparity there

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews came back from 15 votes down to beat getzlaf by 8 votes and slide into #10.
TSN has Matthews as the 10th best player (4th best C) so obviously a bit of disparity there
Their complaining that since the link to the poll was posted on here the vote should not count.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
You forgot the Leafs benefit from playing in the Atlantic even though they have hardly played anyone from their division as much. Last week when the Leafs shutout both the Islanders and Rangers in back to back games, we were told how both those teams are not that good this season.

Our record against Atlantic division opponents are not very good...

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
So with the current top C poll, its on pick 10 and Matthews wont make it.
the HF community has decided that the kid who leads the league in ES goals and is 2nd in total goals (behind only Kucherov) since becoming an NHLer, isnt one of the top 10 C in this league.

Mackinnon with career highs of 24g/63pts across 5 seasons is apparently better.
Kopitar is apparently so much better defensively that it makes up for the fact Matthews has 33 more goals than him since last year.
Now Barkov who is a fine 2 way player but has never gotten 25g or 6opts is getting strong consideration?

do you think HF boards are voting against him just because he is a leaf? it seems a lot of people jump to the next non leaf option after their guy has been picked

40g/69pts/+2 in 82 games as a rookie
25g/43pts/+23 in 46 games as a sophomore

all this getting less than 18 mins/night and sharing PP time evenly with Bozak

I wouldn't read too much into anything from the main boards...it's pretty much fans of every other team against Leafs fans...very little objectivity there...apparently a 20 year old #1C who scored 40 goals as a rookie and leads the league in 5-vs-5 goal scoring the last 2 seasons is only a mediocre centre...and all of a sudden Boeser is the best goal scorer in hockey according to some...LOL.

Reactions: MattySnipes

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Their complaining that since the link to the poll was posted on here the vote should not count.

yeah and they also complain matthews only won because 60 leafs fans voted fr him while getzlaf got just 10 ducks fans votes. the implication being the neutral vote was something like 70-30 getzlaf

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
yeah and they also complain matthews only won because 60 leafs fans voted fr him while getzlaf got just 10 ducks fans votes. the implication being the neutral vote was something like 70-30 getzlaf

It seems bias only extends to Leaf fans not “neutral” voters.

It’s comical how the usual suspects (of leaf detractors) were present and counted.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
HF are the same people that are slobbing off Kessel as an MVP (lmfao) now, they just hate Toronto.

Look at what Matthews did in his rookie season and the praise he got v Barzal and Boeser.

I just wish Babcock would've unleashed him this year and he stopped f***ing around with Hyman on the 1st line and also gave Matthews the PP time he deserves (not 40 second f***ing shifts).

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Our record against Atlantic division opponents are not very good...
So far they have played Ottawa three times and are 1-2 against them. Montreal they played two times and are 2-0 against them. Finally so far they are also 1-1 against Detroit, 0-1 vs Tampa Bay and 0-1 vs Florida. Plus they have not yet played Buffalo, so they have not played the other Atlantic teams enough times so far.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
So far they have played Ottawa three times and are 1-2 against them. Montreal they played two times and are 2-0 against them. Finally so far they are also 1-1 against Detroit, 0-1 vs Tampa Bay and 0-1 vs Florida. Plus they have not yet played Buffalo, so they have not played the other Atlantic teams enough times so far.

We have been relatively better against some of the stronger divisions. It's an argument against folks who think the Atlantic is weak, thus we're benefiting from being in a weak division when we have not been great against Atlantic division teams.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
We have been relatively better against some of the stronger divisions. It's an argument against folks who think the Atlantic is weak, thus we're benefiting from being in a weak division when we have not been great against Atlantic division teams.
Given the amount of games played against others in the Atlantic which is still not a lot, they need to start playing them a lot more before we see how they fair against them. Hell they have already finished playing every team for the season from the Pacific Division before they have started playing Buffalo.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
HF are the same people that are slobbing off Kessel as an MVP (lmfao) now, they just hate Toronto.

Look at what Matthews did in his rookie season and the praise he got v Barzal and Boeser.

I just wish Babcock would've unleashed him this year and he stopped ****ing around with Hyman on the 1st line and also gave Matthews the PP time he deserves (not 40 second ****ing shifts).

Matthews was burnt out in the playoffs last year, and that's just one round...he's still only 20, not even a man yet, not fully developed, doesn't have his full man-strength...I think Babcock is doing a good job developing him, managing his minutes well as he gets stronger...don't worry, he will be unleashed when the time comes.

Reactions: Johnny Steps

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
the HF community has decided that the kid who leads the league in ES goals and is 2nd in total goals (behind only Kucherov) since becoming an NHLer, isnt one of the top 10 C in this league.

Kopitar is apparently so much better defensively that it makes up for the fact Matthews has 33 more goals than him since last year.
Now Barkov who is a fine 2 way player but has never gotten 25g or 6opts is getting strong consideration?

do you think HF boards are voting against him just because he is a leaf? it seems a lot of people jump to the next non leaf option after their guy has been picked

- His scoring & shooting is undervalued. The kid can shoot.
- His playmaking is not. He's got time but he isn't an elite passer by any stretch.
- His transition game is not. Nylander has the puck in the neutral zone more the Matthews.
- His defensive game is not. Hyman helps retrieve pucks & Nylander helps exit the D-Zone.

He's a star in the making. I just really hope he doesn't get a McDavid type contract. That signing was dumb, so was Eichel's & Draisaitl's.

You also won't be able to compare Matthews accomplishments this year to a 100 point + Art Ross + Hart + Ted Lindsay kinda year....and the argument that 'he's as important to the Leafs as McDavid is to the Oilers' is like saying every teams best player deserves $12,500,000.

I'm an AM fan, but if Lou gets the kids locked into good contracts, I'll be a bigger Lou fan.

Reactions: Gallagbi

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
- His scoring & shooting is undervalued. The kid can shoot.
- His playmaking is not. He's got time but he isn't an elite passer by any stretch.
- His transition game is not. Nylander has the puck in the neutral zone more the Matthews.
- His defensive game is not. Hyman helps retrieve pucks & Nylander helps exit the D-Zone.

He's a star in the making. I just really hope he doesn't get a McDavid type contract. That signing was dumb, so was Eichel's & Draisaitl's.

You also won't be able to compare Matthews accomplishments this year to a 100 point + Art Ross + Hart + Ted Lindsay kinda year....and the argument that 'he's as important to the Leafs as McDavid is to the Oilers' is like saying every teams best player deserves $12,500,000.

I'm an AM fan, but if Lou gets the kids locked into good contracts, I'll be a bigger Lou fan.

Matthews is already considered a superstar...have you been watching any Leafs hockey in the last 2 seasons?

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
The biggest issue with Matthews it that Babs is holding down his minutes, especially on the PP, where all the top scorers really make hay.

Here's where Auston ranks in points per 60 minutes since he joined the league:

Even Strength points per 60min (minimum 500 minutes played)

1.McDavid 2.98 (134gms)
2.Barzal 2.85 (57gms)
3.Marchand 2.80 (119gms)
4.Malkin 2.80 (113gms)
5.Stamkos 2.67 (71gms)
6.Kucherov 2.66 (128gms)
7.Gaudreau 2.60 (126gms)
(Leivo 2.52 (25gms))
8.Scheifele 2.50 (117gms)
9.Matthews 2.49 (128gms)
10.Getzlaf 2.47 (105gms)

Even Strength Primary Points per 60min (i.e. no second assists) (Min 500min)

1.Malkin 2.54 (113gms)
2.McDavid 2.31 (134gms)
3.Matthews 2.25 (128gms)
4.Marchand 2.16 (116gms)
5.Barzal 2.16 (57gms)
6.Gaudreau 2.09 (126gms)
7.Stamkos 2.08 (71gms)
8.Kucherov 2.06 (128gms)
(Leivo 2.01 (25gms))
9.Kane 1.97 (136gms)
10.Carter 1.93 (88gms)

If you think Auston is anything but an elite of the elite offensive player, then yes, you are underrating him.

Even Strength points per 60min (minimum 500 minutes played)

7.Gaudreau 2.60 (126gms)
(Leivo 2.52 (25gms))
8.Scheifele 2.50 (117gms)

Even Strength Primary Points per 60min (i.e. no second assists) (Min 500min)

8.Kucherov 2.06 (128gms)
(Leivo 2.01 (25gms))
9.Kane 1.97 (136gms)

These Leivo plugs are the real deal......haha.

I've always thought he's done about as much as you can with 9 minutes a game & 4th line support. This guy needs a shot. He could have easily replaced the Marleau signing, aside from the 'leadership' aspect...which may or may be having an effect on performance. Who knows.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Matthews was burnt out in the playoffs last year, and that's just one round...he's still only 20, not even a man yet, not fully developed, doesn't have his full man-strength...I think Babcock is doing a good job developing him, managing his minutes well as he gets stronger...don't worry, he will be unleashed when the time comes.
In their six playoff games Matthews still managed 4 Goals and 1 Assist. So if he was burnt out I like to see how he would be when he's a lot more fresh.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

THB he's been very disappointing to watch since his 4 goal game.

As of today, he's about 600 goals short of my expectations.

Maybe we should rent him out for a 1st....

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
In their six playoff games Matthews still managed 4 Goals and 1 Assist. So if he was burnt out I like to see how he would be when he's a lot more fresh.

He admitted it about his lack of conditioning after the Leafs were eliminated...and Babcock was already managing his minutes last year...his points total in those games against the Caps is a testament to his talent and skill...if we're going to make a deeper run in the playoffs this year, we need Matthews to be fresher so that he can be more effective each time he steps onto the ice.

Superstar

"Be water, my friend."
Jun 25, 2008
Please be little more defensive.

LOL...I guess you haven't seen much...just go compare Matthews TOI numbers (including limited PP time) to some of those so called top centres, then compare his output to theirs...it's quite obvious he's a superstar...the figures defend themselves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad