Is Matthews underrated on these boards?

Is Matthews not making the top 10 C on these boards a complete joke?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
One thing I really dislike when Matthews is being discussed on the mainboards is how his amazing goal scoring abilities and play at 5v5 get underrated. Yes, PP matters, but when someone produces like Matthews does at 5v5, they should be lauded.
Since it's harder to score at 5v5 compared to 5v4 or 5v3, it should be brought up even more at how much better Matthews is when he can produce like that.

Reactions: MattySnipes

frizzer1

Oct 19, 2013
He's still not close to his pre-concussion self.

Last year and before he got hurt this year he was, in my opinion, right there with Mcdavid and Crosby.
Since then except for a few games, he has been doing things he had never done before...
Such as.....losing the puck when stickhandling.......not seeming to have that amazing strength when working on the boards and twisting back and forth to retain possession..
Not really having that once in a lifetime snap wristshot..

He still plays well.... still shoots very well....but something is different..
I really don't think he's the same player..

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
A minor criticism I would have of Matthews is his shot totals. I mean, he still shoots a lot relative to most players, but his numbers in that regard are lower than last season. Last year, he had 279 shots over 82 games. This year he's pacing for 251 over 82 games. He's a guy who should average 4 shots per game throughout the season, which is 328 shots over 82 games.

He's still absolutely elite at generating high danger chances though, so that's nice.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
A minor criticism I would have of Matthews is his shot totals. I mean, he still shoots a lot relative to most players, but his numbers in that regard are lower than last season. Last year, he had 279 shots over 82 games. This year he's pacing for 251 over 82 games. He's a guy who should average 4 shots per game throughout the season, which is 328 shots over 82 games.

He's still absolutely elite at generating high danger chances though, so that's nice.
You still have to factor in the 10 games he missed and until his streak of at least 1 shot on goal in each game was stopped, how many games since than has Matthews not had at least 1 shot on goal?

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
You still have to factor in the 10 games he missed and until his streak of at least 1 shot on goal in each game was stopped, how many games since than has Matthews not had at least 1 shot on goal?

I'm not sure what you mean. He's pacing for 251 per 82 games this year, while last year he had 279 over 82. I'm not sure why his shot streak is relevant here.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
how will those poor people sleep at night with visions of Matthews winning a poll on hfboards in their heads??
lovejoy-think-of-the-children-16nov131.jpg

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Man..the Leafs hate is real on the main boards eh guys. Been like that for years and years. I know a lot of people don't like Leafs fans for a number of reasons but to make a tremendous player like Matthews pay the price for that is unfair. HF polls don't mean squat. Then, they're getting so upset because Cor shared the link, like really? :help:

At the end of the day, I know what I am watching and the way he plays and improves each game :bow:

To me, personally, he is definitely between 10-11 - but MacKinnon (love the guy) is in no way the 8th best centre in the NHL :laugh:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Man..the Leafs hate is real on the main boards eh guys. Been like that for years and years. I know a lot of people don't like Leafs fans for a number of reasons but to make a tremendous player like Matthews pay the price for that is unfair. HF polls don't mean squat. Then, they're getting so upset because Cor shared the link, like really? :help:

At the end of the day, I know what I am watching and the way he plays and improves each game :bow:

To me, personally, he is definitely between 10-11 - but MacKinnon (love the guy) is in no way the 8th best centre in the NHL :laugh:
Look at all the negative threads about Phil Kessel and Dion Phaneuf when they played in Toronto. Now that they are on other teams we don't see those anymore.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
Hf is a joke:

Leafs don't have a top 10 C
Leafs don't have a top 30 D
Leafs don't have a top 10 G
Leafs are average
Leafs defence is an eye sore
Leafs top 9 isn't among the best

Yet here we are with the Leafs 6th in the league.

So who's more delusional? Leafs fans or the rest of Hf?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad