Is Matthews underrated on these boards?

Is Matthews not making the top 10 C on these boards a complete joke?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Kessel was streaky. It's a complete joke to suggest otherwise.

It's possible that there was more attention on Kessel than what was normal... largely due to the publicity around the trade, leafs dropping to 2nd last while Boston had our pick, then 7th last, etc. etc. etc.

But Kessel was just a streaky one dimensional 70 point averaging unproven playoff performer. That's what he was. He's not that any longer. So people respect him more now. Claiming it's because of "leaf hate" and not he conn smythe worthy performances is a complete joke.
Based on what? The stats never showed he was streaky at all. You are just repeating those worthless myths that existed when he was a Leaf. The guy was essentially PPG for 3 straight years with Bozak. The guy rarely went 2-3 games without a point. That streaky crap is another thing that would not be said about players in other markets.

Isn't it funny, when it comes to Pittsburgh years with Kessel he was worthy of 2 Conn Smyths, but he was a 70 point forward in Toronto. He hit 80 points twice and was on pace for 90 the lockout year.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
There is absolutely no truth to this whatsoever.
You joined after the Kessel trade. Are you sure you really know how much heat this guy got?
Again, people need to see the night Kessel was picked last at the all-star game. I have never seen anything like it. People were in their glory watching it and laughing.

Apparently Kessel wasn't streaky. And apparently Kessel wasn't getting a lot of flack for his lackluster first regular season with the pens.

I think you're just messing with me at this point.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Based on what? The stats never showed he was streaky at all. You are just repeating those worthless myths that existed when he was a Leaf. The guy was essentially PPG for 3 straight years with Bozak. The guy rarely went 2-3 games without a point. That streaky crap is another thing that would not be said about players in other markets.

Isn't it funny, when it comes to Pittsburgh years with Kessel he was worthy of 2 Conn Smyths, but he was a 70 point forward in Toronto. He hit 80 points twice and was on pace for 90 the lockout year.
Let me get this completely straight. You're denying that Kessel was a streaky player with the leafs?

I just want to get that abundantly clear. Because I simply don't believe you could really be making that argument.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Apparently Kessel wasn't streaky. And apparently Kessel wasn't getting a lot of flack for his lackluster first regular season with the pens.

I think you're just messing with me at this point.

Show me how he was streaky? You heard people say it so you believed it. Statistically he was never streaky.This was quite a topic right year on this board.
And no, he faced no criticism in Pittsburgh his first year. Nothing close to in Toronto.

Last edited:

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
HFBoards rule of thumb:
Any NHL player > Any Leaf player
Players become instantly worse than their peers the moment they are affiliated with the Leafs.
Why any Leaf fan goes no the main boards boggles my mind unless you're a masochist.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
People who criticized Kessel in Toronto criticized him for what he was. A one dimensional 70 point averaging winger unproven in the playoffs who would often disappear for long stretches in the season.

That perception didn't change until he won back to back cups with conn smythe worthy performances.

If it makes you feel better to present leaf fans as victims... then that's fine I suppose. It's just not based in logic.

Honestly, only leaf fans would do this.

League: "After back to back cup wins and conn smythe worthy performances, I have a new found respect for Kessel."

Leaf fans: "No.... IT'S BECAUSE OF LEAF HATE."

League: "Uh... no. It's the back to back cup wins with conn smythe worthy performances."

Leaf fans "LEAF HATE!!"

So you weren't reading my posts...

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Number 1 rule of HF boards, take all opinions, ratings and polls with a grain of salt, way too much bias on these boards.

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Reading the ridiculousness that were in those polls was very eye opening how much hatred this kid gets because he is a Leaf. If you don't believe he is currently a top 10 C in the league then fine (I think he is) but to continue to ignore facts such as he is the highest goal scorer 5v5 since he entered the league and to turn around and say he doesn't do enough damage on the PP is insane. As far as I know a 60 minute game is still spent majority 5v5.

Also seems weird that assists are held against him, could a handful of assists be absent from him each year because his shot is so accurate and deadly that he actually beats the goaltender instead of having his shot stopped and rebound jammed home from a teammate for an assist?

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You yourself were engaged in the Kessel debate in this thread. Now you’re above it? You’re the arbiter if how much Kessel talk can happen in a thread?

No. and No.
i just thought it would have been back to Matthews, by you know. page 11. it's not, i left.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
this supposed non top 10 center is now in the top 5 for 5v5 points in the entire league despite missing 10 games. People are really delusional

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
this supposed non top 10 center is now in the top 5 for 5v5 points in the entire league despite missing 10 games. People are really delusional

The main boards are dumb. Without delving in to pure hypotheticals, if he was anywhere near the top of the league in PP time played on a stacked PP, I would bet money he'd be top 5 in scoring right now.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
The main boards are dumb. Without delving in to pure hypotheticals, if he was anywhere near the top of the league in PP time played on a stacked PP, I would bet money he'd be top 5 in scoring right now.
I agree 100%. I suspect we'll see it in the playoffs. Going into the postseason with this stagnant and lousy powerplay is like begging to be bounced in round one. We need it better

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I agree 100%. I suspect we'll see it in the playoffs. Going into the postseason with this stagnant and lousy powerplay is like begging to be bounced in round one. We need it better

Next season will be insane for the big 3's scoring IMO. The depth will take a shot (at least the current depth; I'm betting on the Marlies guys coming up having no problems replacing JVR and Bozak's scoring) but that means all the big 3 get more ice time and in turn, more PP time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad