Injury Report: Injuries (excuses) post-playoff update

poppap527

Aug 3, 2006

Knew it wasn't just the MCL. MCL's just don't take 3 months to heal, even with the most rarest and severe requiring surgery.

treefiddy

Errr'day Trollin'
May 8, 2013
San Jose
Injury reports in the NHL need to become more transparent, like they are in all other sports. Thornton should have been out half a year or more with the injury he suffered. Instead he was trotted out like a f***ing special exhibit. That’s garbage...

If it’s season ending it needs to be reported as such right away. You never see upper/lower body injury listed in any other sport. It’s an insult to the players and fans to treat them as they are being treated.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Injury reports in the NHL need to become more transparent, like they are in all other sports. Thornton should have been out half a year or more with the injury he suffered. Instead he was trotted out like a ****ing special exhibit. That’s garbage...

If it’s season ending it needs to be reported as such right away. You never see upper/lower body injury listed in any other sport. It’s an insult to the players and fans to treat them as they are being treated.
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think the Sharks thinking was, if they make the Cup Finals, maybe he'll be ready. That's still technically part of the "season."

Reactions: Phu

treefiddy

Errr'day Trollin'
May 8, 2013
San Jose
I'm not disagreeing with you, but I think the Sharks thinking was, if they make the Cup Finals, maybe he'll be ready. That's still technically part of the "season."

Most ACL tears take damn near an entire calendar year to heal and rehab. Thornton shouldn’t have been treated as a chess piece and been allowed the normal timetable for recovery. If he had played even in game 7 of the final, he would have still been like 60%. This is a major problem with the NHL.

And we aren’t even discussing head injuries being listed as upper body.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Injury reports in the NHL need to become more transparent, like they are in all other sports. Thornton should have been out half a year or more with the injury he suffered. Instead he was trotted out like a ****ing special exhibit. That’s garbage...

There’s probably something in the CBAs of other sports but I thought I heard something about the legality of it. I could be entirely wrong because I don’t really remember where I heard it but I think it’s illegal to realize injuries without the players permission.

treefiddy

Errr'day Trollin'
May 8, 2013
San Jose
There’s probably something in the CBAs of other sports but I thought I heard something about the legality of it. I could be entirely wrong because I don’t really remember where I heard it but I think it’s illegal to realize injuries without the players permission.

They’ve done an amazing job at convincing the players that benefits them, if that is the case. However Hitchcock was reporting injuries for what they were in Dallas last season. It puts far less stress on the player to rush back.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
They’ve done an amazing job at convincing the players that benefits them, if that is the case. However Hitchcock was reporting injuries for what they were in Dallas last season. It puts far less stress on the player to rush back.
I wouldn’t say it puts less stress on the players. I’d say it puts less stress on the fans if anything but I’m positive the players still want to get back as soon as possible

Reactions: Sharksrule04

treefiddy

Errr'day Trollin'
May 8, 2013
San Jose
I wouldn’t say it puts less stress on the players. I’d say it puts less stress on the fans if anything but I’m positive the players still want to get back as soon as possible

I get the players WANTING to get back. And the fans WANTING the player back. But there’s reality. Everyone is amazed when a player comes back after 8 months when tearing an ACL. It’s been 3 months and I don’t think any doctor on this planet would call his ACL even 50% healed, yet he was trying to come back... THAT is a huge problem.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I get the players WANTING to get back. And the fans WANTING the player back. But there’s reality. Everyone is amazed when a player comes back after 8 months when tearing an ACL. It’s been 3 months and I don’t think any doctor on this planet would call his ACL even 50% healed, yet he was trying to come back... THAT is a huge problem.
That could be Joe more than anything. Also you don’t know how torn it was. It could of been a minor tear (I haven’t read the reports only saw the tweet saying it was torn)

treefiddy

Errr'day Trollin'
May 8, 2013
San Jose
That could be Joe more than anything. Also you don’t know how torn it was. It could of been a minor tear (I haven’t read the reports only saw the tweet saying it was torn)

Torn enough for surgery = not minor though. I have no doubt a lot of it was Jumbo wanting to come back. But I also believe it to be a product of the injury situation the NHL has created.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Not CBA. Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA). Prohibits, without permission, any entity (team, doctor, medical facility) from releasing health information. Now the NHL probably push players to authorize release of "upper/lower" body injuries.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Torn enough for surgery = not minor though. I have no doubt a lot of it was Jumbo wanting to come back. But I also believe it to be a product of the injury situation the NHL has created.
I think it was mostly Joe. I mean can you really blame the guy? His team is about to get knocked out and he’s one of their best players. Of course he wants to come in and try to make a difference

treefiddy

Errr'day Trollin'
May 8, 2013
San Jose
I think it was mostly Joe. I mean can you really blame the guy? His team is about to get knocked out and he’s one of their best players. Of course he wants to come in and try to make a difference

Not at all. But he also has to be realistic. The unreported injuries and the expectations that have been created of NHL players is an issue. Player A played with an unreported broken leg so all players should do as such. Etc...

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Most ACL tears take damn near an entire calendar year to heal and rehab. Thornton shouldn’t have been treated as a chess piece and been allowed the normal timetable for recovery. If he had played even in game 7 of the final, he would have still been like 60%. This is a major problem with the NHL.

And we aren’t even discussing head injuries being listed as upper body.
if they made the final there is zero chance he would not have gotten into at least one playoff game. so i mean, it would have been incorrect to shut him down for the year.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
So playing during last years playoffs maybe wasn't a good idea? Playing with those injuries for sure affects the structural integrity of the knee. Poor Joe, hope he bounces back.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
So playing during last years playoffs maybe wasn't a good idea? Playing with those injuries for sure affects the structural integrity of the knee. Poor Joe, hope he bounces back.

Last year's injury and this year's injury are unrelated as they were different knees.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Last year's injury and this year's injury are unrelated as they were different knees.
Ah I see, good news I guess but that would also worry me that both his knee's suffered pretty serious injuries the past 2 seasons and he'll be 39 next year. Sucks because Joe is such a force down low and still the best pure passer in the game.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Ah I see, good news I guess but that would also worry me that both his knee's suffered pretty serious injuries the past 2 seasons and he'll be 39 next year. Sucks because Joe is such a force down low and still the best pure passer in the game.

Yup that is certainly a concern but the other knee seemed like it was turning the corner just a couple weeks or so before going down to the other knee injury so we'll see.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Yup that is certainly a concern but the other knee seemed like it was turning the corner just a couple weeks or so before going down to the other knee injury so we'll see.
Maybe he depended on his other knee too much while he played injured with the other? The increase stress/pressure may have made his MCL/ACL weak or vulnerable enough for this recent injury to even happen.

Oh well, I'd play on 1 leg too for a shot at the cup.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
If the Sharks get Tavares (unlikely) I bet Jumbo signs for like 2M, if the Sharks don't get him Jumbo is probably here for 5M and we'll most likely have plenty space.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad