Injury Report: Injuries (excuses) post-playoff update

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
He could have been signed for less if DW waited and not jumped in for an early contract extension. Jones' cap hit is the exact same amount as Fleury at $5.75/yr. Kinda hard to say that Jones is worth more than Fleury, let along equal.
Jones is absolutely worth the same as Fleury. You lose one series in the playoffs and suddenly everyone on your team is trash. Also I have no idea who you’re talking about in the beginning but I’m assuming Dillon. Dillon is absolutely worth his cap hit. If DW waited any longer, Dillon would have signed for more because he looked like a top 4 option

Internazionale

Apr 24, 2007
Airdrie, AB
Jones is absolutely worth the same as Fleury. You lose one series in the playoffs and suddenly everyone on your team is trash. Also I have no idea who you’re talking about in the beginning but I’m assuming Dillon. Dillon is absolutely worth his cap hit. If DW waited any longer, Dillon would have signed for more because he looked like a top 4 option

MAF has won 3 cups, and is carrying his team, unlike Jones. If it wasn't for Jones in 2016, we weren't going to make the final. Jones has been a disappointment for me these last 2 seasons. He just can't put a string of solid wins in a row or make the big saves when we need them.

Reactions: BCShark

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
MAF has won 3 cups, and is carrying his team, unlike Jones. If it wasn't for Jones in 2016, we weren't going to make the final. Jones has been a disappointment for me these last 2 seasons. He just can't put a string of solid wins in a row or make the big saves when we need them.
Fleury has also had multiple playoff meltdowns that cost the Pens the series. Also just because he won those cups doesn’t mean he carried his team to all of those. There’s a reason PIT let him go over Murray and it’s not just because he’s younger. Also what Fleury is doing now is great but that doesn’t change the fact that Jones has also dragged us through the playoffs. I don’t get how you can say that he can’t or a string of solid wins together when he has done just that since he’s been here. It’s not his fault this offense sucks and that we have a coach that likes to have an anchor third pairing.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Fleury spent like 7 years being called a playoff choker and a very average regular season player so they're not that different.

Reactions: CrazedZooChimp

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I really wasn't expecting much from this year, and honestly, a 2nd round exit for me is a lot less encouraging than a high draft pick at this point. I don't think Deboer is a bad coach, but he's not a good enough coach, if you get what I'm saying. We've never had a really great coach in their best years, and I think that is the biggest missing component for this team. Injuries happen to every team, this team had plenty of depth to deal with it, but didn't use it. Deboer made extremely poor line-up decisions, and tried to play stupid mind games with the other coach which didn't work against the Pen's, and didn't work against Vegas this time either.

As a Sharks fan, and only a Sharks fan, watching hockey these days is just painful. You want your team to finally succeed, to finally get a few lucky breaks and put all the pieces together, and year after year they just fizzle out when it matters. It just burned me out finally, which is why you haven't seen much of me lately. I don't get my hopes up at all now, so I'm not as dissapointed when they inevitably fail. That's really not a lot of fun.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I really wasn't expecting much from this year, and honestly, a 2nd round exit for me is a lot less encouraging than a high draft pick at this point. I don't think Deboer is a bad coach, but he's not a good enough coach, if you get what I'm saying. We've never had a really great coach in their best years, and I think that is the biggest missing component for this team. Injuries happen to every team, this team had plenty of depth to deal with it, but didn't use it. Deboer made extremely poor line-up decisions, and tried to play stupid mind games with the other coach which didn't work against the Pen's, and didn't work against Vegas this time either.

As a Sharks fan, and only a Sharks fan, watching hockey these days is just painful. You want your team to finally succeed, to finally get a few lucky breaks and put all the pieces together, and year after year they just fizzle out when it matters. It just burned me out finally, which is why you haven't seen much of me lately. I don't get my hopes up at all now, so I'm not as dissapointed when they inevitably fail. That's really not a lot of fun.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
Burns was hurt. Which is exactly what I expected. He was god-like in the first three games until he had to leave at the end of game3. Was never the same once he came back.

if I'm ranking skaters in terms of importance to the team:

1. Thornton - Out
2. Burns - Injured
3. Couture - Played well
4. Vlasic - ???
5. Pavelski - two injured linemates, playing out of position
6. Hertl - Played well, can't finish. Like a Top 6 Marcel Goc.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

1. Thornton - Out
2. Burns - Injured
3. Couture - Played well
4. Vlasic - ???

Hertl had 6 goals and 9 points in 10 games. He finished fine.

Also, let’s stop talking about Pavelski’s injured linemates when #27 was the best player on that line.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

1. Thornton - Out
2. Burns - Injured
3. Couture - Played well
4. Vlasic - ???

A player who scored 6 goals in 10 games definitely can’t finish. Seems legit.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Hertl had a point in every single game which the Sharks weren’t shut out, he single handedly drove the offense at even strength.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver

1. Thornton - Out
2. Burns - Injured
3. Couture - Played well
4. Vlasic - ???

Vlasic going to play for team Canada I'm assuming he was healthy... Which is concerning based on how he played these playoffs

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose

1. Thornton - Out
2. Burns - Injured
3. Couture - Played well
4. Vlasic - ???
I thought Hertl had finish. We just ran into MAF

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
For the amount of high danger scoring chances hertl created for himself he should of had nearly double the goals he finished with.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
For the amount of high danger scoring chances hertl created for himself he should of had nearly double the goals he finished with.

At 5V5, in these playoffs, Hertl had 19 iHDCF. The next highest is Filip Forsberg with 16 in 2 more games.

At all situations, in these playoffs Hertl had 40 iHDCF. The next highest is Patric Hornqvist with 25 in 2 more games.

Hertl had 6.77 ixGF at all situations. The next highest player was Alex Ovechkin with 5.44 in 2 more games.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

If that's the case then what the hell were Boedker, Pavelski, and Meier doing? All of them had about half or more in the Vegas series in high danger scoring chances and didn't convert even what Hertl did. To me, Couture failed in Vegas as much as Pavelski did. Neither of them scored 5 on 5 and Couture didn't create one high danger chance 5 on 5.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
How does Pavelski get slack for having to carry linemates. He was absolutely garbage against the Pens and didn't sustain a serious injury, while playing with Thornton and Hertl (game 1). Dude just blows against fast teams, it's as simple as that.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
If that's the case then what the hell were Boedker, Pavelski, and Meier doing? All of them had about half or more in the Vegas series in high danger scoring chances and didn't convert even what Hertl did. To me, Couture failed in Vegas as much as Pavelski did. Neither of them scored 5 on 5 and Couture didn't create one high danger chance 5 on 5.

That’s embarrassing on paper but how exactly was his almost goal on MAF not a HDCF? That play is literally a goal more often than not and it’s not even a HDCF? I question Natural Stat Trick at times.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I mean, that’s a fair point, but I think that’s rather impressive on Hertl’s part rather than a negative. To say, “if this guy could finish like Filip Forsberg, he’d have 12 goals in 10 games” seems silly. I mean, Hertl was that good, but it still sounds silly.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I mean, that’s a fair point, but I think that’s rather impressive on Hertl’s part rather than a negative. To say, “if this guy could finish like Filip Forsberg, he’d have 12 goals in 10 games” seems silly. I mean, Hertl was that good, but it still sounds silly.

Not saying he was bad by any means. But he could of been even better if he was even slightly better with the puck in close.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Hertl is the future of the team. He’s the #1 center next year unless they sign Tavares. Couture is great, but he can’t impact a game like Hertl. Yeah he could have scored more, but, that’s a lot to ask from a guy who’s already carrying a team on his back.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Hertl is the future of the team. He’s the #1 center next year unless they sign Tavares. Couture is great, but he can’t impact a game like Hertl. Yeah he could have scored more, but, that’s a lot to ask from a guy who’s already carrying a team on his back.

I don’t know if Hertl is good enough to be a #1C on a Cup team, but I have never seen a player dominate in a playoff game the way Hertl did in game 6. I have seen very good players play very good games but Hertl was completely dominant on every single shift.

The only performance near Hertl’s was Thornton in the first period of game 6 against LA in 2013. Not sure who was better.

The only reason I would say he might not be good enough is that he did what he did against Vegas and he just hasn’t scored enough points. If he could do that against Tampa, Boston, Winnipeg, or Nashville, I would crown him the #1C. In addition, it’s hard to say that a guy who has never scored 50 points can be a #1C on a Cup team. But at the same time, if he can score 60-70 points with his deployment, and make about 45 of those at ES, he can be a Cup #1C in the mold of a Kopitar, Toews, or Bergeron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad