Injury Report: Injuries (excuses) post-playoff update

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Signing Kane would make us lose our pick in 2019.
forgot about that. it is lottery protected though right?
so yeah ... uh.. we'd have to pick pretty high in a deep draft to realistically get better than kane. last player we did that with is probably couture. timo's great and all but kane is probably his ceiling.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Signing Kane would make us lose our pick in 2019.

The pick isn't a big deal. We're losing either a 2nd or a 1st in 2019. It's whether the contract is right. A 4 year deal at 26 million dollars is a Kane that I'd be alright keeping. I wouldn't want to invest in him longer with his injury history.

exchequer

Apr 21, 2006
The pick isn't a big deal. We're losing either a 2nd or a 1st in 2019. It's whether the contract is right. A 4 year deal at 26 million dollars is a Kane that I'd be alright keeping. I wouldn't want to invest in him longer with his injury history.

I don't think Kane would be happy with a 4 year 26 million deal. If the cap really is going to 80M, the Sharks aren't going to be the only team with money. My hunch is he's gone.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I don't think Kane would be happy with a 4 year 26 million deal. If the cap really is going to 80M, the Sharks aren't going to be the only team with money. My hunch is he's gone.

If that's the case then let him go. Kane is good but he has his warts and he's not irreplaceable. Meier slotting in on the top line moving forward is not exactly the worst thing.

Pistol Pete

Dec 17, 2007
The team was dead in the water and had no mojo prior to acquiring Kane. As soon as he came into the fold, the team went on an impressive run and secured their spot in the playoffs. They then swept the Ducks in the first round. It sucks that they lost to Vegas, but it’s not on Kane that they didn’t move on. Especially given what he was playing through. If DW can work out a solid deal for him, then I’d be very happy. He’s been a great fit imo. And I think he’s really enjoyed his time in the Bay. He’s not like Soupy, who was a highly sought after offensive RHD. Kane has some baggage, and is a different situation all together.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
For the thousandth time, explanation =/= excuse.

Hell yeah, I wanna know who was playing through injuries and who was just under-performing what they should have done. I wanna know who performed well despite injuries. And I want to know who successfully managed to stay healthy. Kane being rather severely injured explains why he played like trash. It doesn’t excuse him. If this was the best he could do in this series, a healthy Barclay Goodrow should have drew in for him.

Other than Kane, I expect to hear injury reports about Donskoi and Burns.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
For the thousandth time, explanation =/= excuse.

Hell yeah, I wanna know who was playing through injuries and who was just under-performing what they should have done. I wanna know who performed well despite injuries. And I want to know who successfully managed to stay healthy. Kane being rather severely injured explains why he played like trash. It doesn’t excuse him. If this was the best he could do in this series, a healthy Barclay Goodrow should have drew in for him.

Other than Kane, I expect to hear injury reports about Donskoi and Burns.

Yeah kane in games 5 and 6 was little more than a body on the ice banging around. And not very hard at that. In fact I almost kind of forgot what his best game looks like. Can he hold a puck? I forget.
I wonder if he can adjust to the sharks game given a training camp.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah kane in games 5 and 6 was little more than a body on the ice banging around. And not very hard at that. In fact I almost kind of forgot what his best game looks like. Can he hold a puck? I forget.
I wonder if he can adjust to the sharks game given a training camp.

He is a legitimate first line LW when healthy, no questions asked. Maybe not in the top-15, but easily the top-30. He fit perfectly with the Sharks game upon arriving here.

The problem is, you don’t usually get him healthy.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
He is a legitimate first line LW when healthy, no questions asked. Maybe not in the top-15, but easily the top-30. He fit perfectly with the Sharks game upon arriving here.

The problem is, you don’t usually get him healthy.

calling mike potenza ...

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
i dunno, do we think we could do better than evander kane with the 21st pick?
i don't

I think the problem with Pavelski is that he's a finisher and didn't have any playmakers like Jumbo on his line. He doesn't have the quickness to make plays by himself and without a puck distributor on his line, he can only rely on tips and rebounds.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think the problem with Pavelski is that he's a finisher and didn't have any playmakers like Jumbo on his line. He doesn't have the quickness to make plays by himself and without a puck distributor on his line, he can only rely on tips and rebounds.

And that's exactly why he needs to go. If he was purely a finisher offensively but was reliable defensively like he used to be then I'd be fine with him. He no longer kills penalties. He is not the guy you want out there defending a lead. And his odds of making a play to set up a goal are slim to none. As a finisher, he's cooked without a premier playmaker and we may not have one after July 1.

DrFeelgood

Chairman Meow
May 8, 2006
San Jose, CA
And that's exactly why he needs to go. If he was purely a finisher offensively but was reliable defensively like he used to be then I'd be fine with him. He no longer kills penalties. He is not the guy you want out there defending a lead. And his odds of making a play to set up a goal are slim to none. As a finisher, he's cooked without a premier playmaker and we may not have one after July 1.

I wouldn't be opposed to getting rid of Pavelski but I don't know who would take him at $6 million unless we sell really low on him or someone is desperate at the deadline next year or a good chunk of that contract is retained.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I wouldn't be opposed to getting rid of Pavelski but I don't know who would take him at $6 million unless we sell really low on him or someone is desperate at the deadline next year or a good chunk of that contract is retained.

Look at what Rick Nash returned. Pavelski has value, and if the Sharks don't get Tavares, they will have plenty of room to retain salary.

Naki

Oct 8, 2009
I do wonder if the caution they showed with Jumbo was with the idea in mind that he’ll be back next year.
That would match with the rumor/theory that he signed the 1 year 8m deal knowing he'd be signing a smaller deal next season and avoiding any issues with the CBA.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
i don't

Even Kane at market value will still fetch at least a 1st in return at the TDL. I think it's a pretty no-brainer to sign him unless he's wanting ridiculous AAV/Term + NMC.

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
Even Kane at market value will still fetch at least a 1st in return at the TDL. I think it's a pretty no-brainer to sign him unless he's wanting ridiculous AAV/Term + NMC.

He’d probably want at least a limited NMC in exchange for a lower AAV or term. If DW gives him that I expect Kane will take less of an AAV; something like 5x5.75MM. I have this strange feeling he leaves for Vegas though

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
i don't

Put it that way, as long as the price is not high, then sign him. Sharks need Tavs or another strong 1st line center. Pavs needs to go back to winger.

Jones needs to find some consistency if he wants any shot at being an elite, or nearly elite goaltender.

The other thing, the Sharks need to skate at intensity for 60 minutes throughout the season. So they can do it in the post-season with better ease. Deboer doesn't push these guys to excel in this regard. Pete talks a good game at the microphone, but he needs to do the walk.

The fundamentals of hockey is managing kinetic energy and potential energy. Much like a race car driver manages the engine to keep it in the torque sweet spot.

The Sharks fall into the trap of thinking they can use puck possession to control the game and slow it down. That doesn't work in this version of the NHL.

Puck possession is used to speed up the game, and the players cannot bleed off kinetic energy because of poor decisions, lazy play, being gassed, or simple because their skating fundamentals need improvement.

Reactions: Friday

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Put it that way, as long as the price is not high, then sign him. Sharks need Tavs or another strong 1st line center. Pavs needs to go back to winger.

Jones needs to find some consistency if he wants any shot at being an elite, or nearly elite goaltender.

The other thing, the Sharks need to skate at intensity for 60 minutes throughout the season. So they can do it in the post-season with better ease. Deboer doesn't push these guys to excel in this regard. Pete talks a good game at the microphone, but he needs to do the walk.

The fundamentals of hockey is managing kinetic energy and potential energy. Much like a race car driver manages the engine to keep it in the torque sweet spot.

The Sharks fall into the trap of thinking they can use puck possession to control the game and slow it down. That doesn't work in this version of the NHL.

Puck possession is used to speed up the game, and the players cannot bleed off kinetic energy because of poor decisions, lazy play, being gassed, or simple because their skating fundamentals need improvement.

This is one of the most ridiculous posts on this site that used to feature Mr. Scarface. lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad