Injury Report: Injuries (excuses) post-playoff update

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
That’s embarrassing on paper but how exactly was his almost goal on MAF not a HDCF? That play is literally a goal more often than not and it’s not even a HDCF? I question Natural Stat Trick at times.

Because the shot was taking just below the upper hash mark which is outside the high danger zone from what I can tell.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Because the shot was taking just below the upper hash mark which is outside the high danger zone from what I can tell.

That’s probably what it was but it goes to show you that HDCF is a bit flawed. Guys like Meier, Hertl, and Kane try to stuff wraparounds that work less than 10% of the time and probably have more iHDCF than they actually have chances that are truly very dangerous, if that makes sense.

One thing I will say about Hertl. If this year’s Hertl was on last year’s Senators or the Predators, they would have probably beat Pittsburgh, and the one that he was on would have beat the team he wasn’t on. People think Ryan Johansen is a Cup #1C and I would take Hertl over him.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I don’t know if Hertl is good enough to be a #1C on a Cup team, but I have never seen a player dominate in a playoff game the way Hertl did in game 6. I have seen very good players play very good games but Hertl was completely dominant on every single shift.

The only performance near Hertl’s was Thornton in the first period of game 6 against LA in 2013. Not sure who was better.

The only reason I would say he might not be good enough is that he did what he did against Vegas and he just hasn’t scored enough points. If he could do that against Tampa, Boston, Winnipeg, or Nashville, I would crown him the #1C. In addition, it’s hard to say that a guy who has never scored 50 points can be a #1C on a Cup team. But at the same time, if he can score 60-70 points with his deployment, and make about 45 of those at ES, he can be a Cup #1C in the mold of a Kopitar, Toews, or Bergeron.
Right. I meant he’s the best center on the Sharks which in turn makes him the number 1 center on the sharks. His development was stalled by injury but we’ve seen flashes of great play when he’s stayed healthy. If those flashes become close to his regular level of play then that would be fantastic. I think he’s capable of that level of play, and if he improves his goal scoring just a little he’ll put up 30 next year easily.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Hertl would be a point per game player if he were in beast mode all the time (like he was in the playoffs). Can’t expect him to keep it up over an 82 game season. I’d be happy if he could be a regular 30-30 center going forward while keeping up his defensive play and responsibilities and continuing to make his teammates better.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
Wtf is this even?

Maybe he depended on his other knee too much while he played injured with the other? The increase stress/pressure may have made his MCL/ACL weak or vulnerable enough for this recent injury to even happen.

Oh well, I'd play on 1 leg too for a shot at the cup.

What the hell, did you even watch the game? Boedker crashed into his knee sideways.

Ok I haven't read the thread so this is my first instant reaction to the whole Thornton thing. WHY WAS HE SKATING ON A TORN ACL? What good would it have done to have him even sniff coming back if his knee was that bad. You had this will they or won't they all playoffs long and reading that story makes me feel embarrassed as a sharks fan. Also he should retire. His knees cant take it anymore and if it is an ACL his season won't start until next year anyway.

Huh??? He got surgery shortly after the injury and has been rehabbing ever since.

Reactions: Doctor Soraluce

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
All this hand wringing over Thornton skating warm ups is bizarre... He clearly believed his presence could help the teams mentality and moral. He's regularly been credited with keeping the team loose and his leadership is a valuable asset especially with so many young guys. Bitching that they fudged the severity of the injury is just naive. What was Deboer supposed to say, he won't play until the SCF so he's just a giant bearded cheerleader for the team? Good grief... It was clearly way worse than the injured MCL that was reported back in January. But, if they made the final he would have been far enough along in rehab to likely play. Guys like Clowe played at around the 4 month mark after ACL surgery and NFL players come back that quick all the time. Didn't Rice once blow out his ACL in preseason then come back for the playoffs or super bowl? The only thing shocking to me is that they repaired it thru arthroscopy. It's been nearly 20 years since my last knee surgery and I didn't know they could fix full ACL tears with those tiny incisions. It used to be mandatory invasive surgery with a 4 to 6 inch incision. Awesome for reducing recovery. Jumbo will be much further along in his rehab by the time training camp hits. He'll be more like December Jumbo instead of October Jumbo from last season. If he's playing 3rd line he should be primed for a good year as long no more 200lb men fall on his leg awkwardly.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
All this hand wringing over Thornton skating warm ups is bizarre... He clearly believed his presence could help the teams mentality and moral. He's regularly been credited with keeping the team loose and his leadership is a valuable asset especially with so many young guys. *****ing that they fudged the severity of the injury is just naive. What was Deboer supposed to say, he won't play until the SCF so he's just a giant bearded cheerleader for the team? Good grief... It was clearly way worse than the injured MCL that was reported back in January. But, if they made the final he would have been far enough along in rehab to likely play. Guys like Clowe played at around the 4 month mark after ACL surgery and NFL players come back that quick all the time. Didn't Rice once blow out his ACL in preseason then come back for the playoffs or super bowl? The only thing shocking to me is that they repaired it thru arthroscopy. It's been nearly 20 years since my last knee surgery and I didn't know they could fix full ACL tears with those tiny incisions. It used to be mandatory invasive surgery with a 4 to 6 inch incision. Awesome for reducing recovery. Jumbo will be much further along in his rehab by the time training camp hits. He'll be more like December Jumbo instead of October Jumbo from last season. If he's playing 3rd line he should be primed for a good year as long no more 200lb men fall on his leg awkwardly.

When the arthroscopy procedure was said to be done every one said it wasn't as severe as the other surgery he had in the offseason.

So i would bet the surgery was also very different then the one reported 4 months ago.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
When the arthroscopy procedure was said to be done every one said it wasn't as severe as the other surgery he had in the offseason.

So i would bet the surgery was also very different then the one reported 4 months ago.

Yeah but everyone was in the dark on how severe the damage was and I think it's pretty apparent that the organization omitted it purposely. It may be different. It may have been exactly the same. Either way, my expectations would be he'd there on opening night and probably healthier then than when he opened this past season coming off the other knee surgery.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Yeah but everyone was in the dark on how severe the damage was and I think it's pretty apparent that the organization omitted it purposely. It may be different. It may have been exactly the same. Either way, my expectations would be he'd there on opening night and probably healthier then than when he opened this past season coming off the other knee surgery.

Might of came off wrong, i am not always the best at getting my actual point across properly on here. But thats what i meant. Everything that was reported 4 months ago at the time of the injury was a lie including the type of surgery and the extent of the knee injury.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I'm really ticked about the whole Thornton thing and the NHL's cavalier attitude when it comes to injuries. Yes these guys get paid millions of dollars to play a game but what good is that money if your body tears down before you turn 50. The Sharks do it worse with the whole upper body/lower body crap and I agree with @treefiddy above, the NHL needs to step out of the dark ages and make injuries more transparent.

I mean based on the last series, would Thornton have made a difference? You hide what the injury is and it makes your organization look bad, it makes the fans who are hoping thier star player comes back look bad, and the series probably wouldn't have played differently.

In this era of CTE and former players killing themselves or havig some major issues in later life, the way the NHL treats injuries is bull crap and needs to change.

Loving these overreactions. Leave it to the fans to make decisions for grown adults who actually know whats going on. If Jumbo wanted to go and skate in pregame warm ups that is his choice. He was already rehabbing the knee and if he wants to test it out and be among his teammates he can do that. Maybe the media and fans should stop jumping to conclusion and speculating so much.

Also, labeling this as the "CTE Era" is quite the exaggeration and has nothing to do with the Jumbo situation. Many of the CTE issues stem from constant head hits as a result of fighting. Fighting has decreased dramatically in the game and the league is doing what it can to lower head hits. Half the time it's the fans who are complaining when players are suspended for clear hits to head. Wake up.

hockfan1991

Jun 29, 2010
I find it hilarious that all the Sharks for the most part are clearly hung over in their exit interviews.

They were in San Pedro parting Monday night

I was there lol Couture actually gave me his hat

It was awesome he bought me a round

Ward goodrow fehr Gambrell as well

Kane made an appearance Everyone took photos with me except for Kane he did not want any photos which is understandable given his situation

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
They were in San Pedro parting Monday night

I was there lol Couture actually gave me his hat
Depressed people tend to drink in solitude so I’m guessing these guys didn’t take the loss that hard. :sarcasm:

I should leave the sarcasm emoji out just to see the reactions from people.

Reactions: Gecklund

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Hi Sharks people- Bruins fan wandering in from abroad to ask a question now that break up day has happened. How many of your guys were carrying injuries and playing through them in the playoffs? I ask because the Bruins had quite a few and while it seems to us like a lot, it might just be normal. So anyway, just curious . . .

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Loving these overreactions. Leave it to the fans to make decisions for grown adults who actually know whats going on. If Jumbo wanted to go and skate in pregame warm ups that is his choice. He was already rehabbing the knee and if he wants to test it out and be among his teammates he can do that. Maybe the media and fans should stop jumping to conclusion and speculating so much.

Than say that. Joe is free to make whatever choice he wants. Being stringed along wondering "Will he or won't he" every single night is still bullcrap. I'm not overreacting at the injury. I'm overreacting at the Sharks bullshit when it comes to injuries of your franchise player.

Also, labeling this as the "CTE Era" is quite the exaggeration and has nothing to do with the Jumbo situation. Many of the CTE issues stem from constant head hits as a result of fighting. Fighting has decreased dramatically in the game and the league is doing what it can to lower head hits. Half the time it's the fans who are complaining when players are suspended for clear hits to head. Wake up.

Your right, it doesn't have to do with Joe, but it is (Or at least it should) changing how we look at injuries in general, especially with someone like Joe who is at the back-end of his career. Ok, so he was rehabbing, it doesn't change my point that I think the league needs more transparency in terms of injuries. That's not an overreaction. That's a frustration.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I mean, did anyone really expect full transparency on his injury? This is how the Sharks roll.

The fact that he was skating in March but still not good enough to play in May told me all I needed to know.

Sleepy

rEf jOsE
Apr 7, 2009
I mean, did anyone really expect full transparency on his injury? This is how the Sharks roll.

The fact that he was skating in March but still not good enough to play in May told me all I needed to know.

I dunno. I guess if Joe Thornton died of a brain aneurysm they don't *have* to tell me about it. But I also don't consider saying "Upper Body Injury, Day-to-Day" as honest.

Reactions: Juxtaposer

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY

Exactly, people should do the math. Did anyone actually think Thornton was being held out as a lineup decision? He clearly wasn't ready. If you're a Sharks fan you should know a lot about Jumbo by now and that he will do anything to be around the guys and at the rink. Him skating before the games made me think it was possible he'd come back if the Sharks kept advancing but it in no way made me think he was playing each night. Certain things shouldn't need to be stated so clearly for you guys to figure it out.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
I dunno. I guess if Joe Thornton died of a brain aneurysm they don't *have* to tell me about it. But I also don't consider saying "Upper Body Injury, Day-to-Day" as honest.
They’d put him on ice, keep him alive with technology and medical machinery and say he was rehabbing like crazy. While technically still alive and “rehabbing,” it’s not exactly day to day.

Reactions: Sleepy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad