Injury Report: Injuries (excuses) post-playoff update

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
Ok I haven't read the thread so this is my first instant reaction to the whole Thornton thing. WHY WAS HE SKATING ON A TORN ACL? What good would it have done to have him even sniff coming back if his knee was that bad. You had this will they or won't they all playoffs long and reading that story makes me feel embarrassed as a sharks fan. Also he should retire. His knees cant take it anymore and if it is an ACL his season won't start until next year anyway.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
What was the whole point of this? There was zero chance he was gonna play yet he put on the pads and jersey, trotted out there for warmups every game then got undressed again. That seems like a waste of time to me. Why not just chill before games instead of doing the dog and pony show.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
It’s another miraculous gift that has contributed to the glorious omniscience of our most reverent and infallible master and lord, Mark Zuckerberg! Heil Zuckerberg! Heil Hydra!

200w.gif

Never trust an Institute synth, just sayin'.

Reactions: Beethovens 10th

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Just the two broken anchors attached to him (Kane, Donkey)

Pavs is really hurting for a 1C on his line, he's not the guy

Donskoi was easily the best player on that line, despite the fact that he had the lowest expectations, made by far the least amount of money, and was the only one who actually had to miss a game with injury.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I'm really ticked about the whole Thornton thing and the NHL's cavalier attitude when it comes to injuries. Yes these guys get paid millions of dollars to play a game but what good is that money if your body tears down before you turn 50. The Sharks do it worse with the whole upper body/lower body crap and I agree with @treefiddy above, the NHL needs to step out of the dark ages and make injuries more transparent.

I mean based on the last series, would Thornton have made a difference? You hide what the injury is and it makes your organization look bad, it makes the fans who are hoping thier star player comes back look bad, and the series probably wouldn't have played differently.

In this era of CTE and former players killing themselves or havig some major issues in later life, the way the NHL treats injuries is bull crap and needs to change.

Reactions: treefiddy

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Ok I haven't read the thread so this is my first instant reaction to the whole Thornton thing. WHY WAS HE SKATING ON A TORN ACL? What good would it have done to have him even sniff coming back if his knee was that bad. You had this will they or won't they all playoffs long and reading that story makes me feel embarrassed as a sharks fan. Also he should retire. His knees cant take it anymore and if it is an ACL his season won't start until next year anyway.
At this point, he's probably more in the rehab phase of things than anything.

Reactions: Phu
Jul 10, 2010
LMAO at the posters here thinking that the team telling the fans everything is more important than WINNING GAMES

obviously DW and the coaches believed that having Thornton warm up and reporting that he was close would be beneficial in terms of the opponents strategizing

this is professional sports, take any edge you can get

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
Donskoi was easily the best player on that line, despite the fact that he had the lowest expectations, made by far the least amount of money, and was the only one who actually had to miss a game with injury.

Yeah but as far as production they were all hurt besides Pavs (unless he is as well)

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
LMAO at the posters here thinking that the team telling the fans everything is more important than WINNING GAMES

obviously DW and the coaches believed that having Thornton warm up and reporting that he was close would be beneficial in terms of the opponents strategizing

A guys life is more important than winning games, on the ice and later in life. They aren't just chess peices on a board.

I can deal with minor injuries or whatever but what is the point of skating on a torn ACL when recovery time is at least 8 to 10 months. You're only making it worse.

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA

Whats the edge of the Jumbo warmups? Haha also they're not dumb and probably know he's not/wasnt coming back

treefiddy

Errr'day Trollin'
May 8, 2013
San Jose
DW and Deboer: Well if we send Thornton out for warm ups fully dressed and then send him to the press box immediately after enough times, eventually Vegas is going to have to believe he's going to play, right? I mean, they couldn't possibly believe his injury is worse than we've said. We've never done that before!

This was a dumb circus stunt that REALLY could have hurt Thornton. He technically shouldn't even be practicing yet. Skating, sure.

Mar 12, 2008
SF Bay Area
My comment on the whole Thornton 'conspiracy'. I remember reading back in late FEB or early MAR that Jumbo wanted to with the team. Be one of the guys even though he was down and out. It not only helped him in his mental recovery but also for his teammates to see their leader out there working and working with the team. Ownership knew he wasnt playing. His teammates knew he wasnt playing. The opposing team had no clue what was going on. Is he playing tonight? Thats what they wondered every time he came out for warmups.

Sign Jumbo $5M or less
Sign EK9 $$4.5/$5.5 for 3-4 yrs
Sign Tavares for whatever you can give him while still staying under the cap

Reactions: 91Fedorov91

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
Jumbo skated with a torn ACL and MCL on that right knee. Yikes...

I dunno man, I know jumbo wants to take a paycut and come back, but he needs to rehab that knee. I hope he thinks about life after hockey.

Jul 10, 2010
Whats the edge of the Jumbo warmups? Haha also they're not dumb and probably know he's not/wasnt coming back
Than rehab him during the morning skate. Don't trod him out during the freaking warm up making everyone think he's going to play.
DW and Deboer: Well if we send Thornton out for warm ups fully dressed and then send him to the press box immediately after enough times, eventually Vegas is going to have to believe he's going to play, right? I mean, they couldn't possibly believe his injury is worse than we've said. We've never done that before!

This was a dumb circus stunt that REALLY could have hurt Thornton. He technically shouldn't even be practicing yet. Skating, sure.

I dunno. Conflicting reports here. Some of the posters here thought hed play so it obviously worked on some.

I love Jumbo, and would hate to see anything hockey related impact his life after hockey. Im 99.9% sure that the doctors cleared him to skate on the knee and the sharks would not of let him on the ice if they had concerns he could worsen the injury.

There were reports Jumbo was going to play in the Ducks series, would it be that far off, at least for the first 3 games for Vegas to think he might play this series?

Reactions: Friday

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
I dunno. Conflicting reports here. Some of the posters here thought hed play so it obviously worked on some.

I love Jumbo, and would hate to see anything hockey related impact his life after hockey. Im 99.9% sure that the doctors cleared him to skate on the knee and the sharks would not of let him on the ice if they had concerns he could worsen the injury.

There were reports Jumbo was going to play in the Ducks series, would it be that far off, at least for the first 3 games for Vegas to think he might play this series?
Who knows, we'll find out someday though

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA

I'm starting to question the validity of those reports, much like everything else when it comes to the sharks and injuries.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Maybe he depended on his other knee too much while he played injured with the other? The increase stress/pressure may have made his MCL/ACL weak or vulnerable enough for this recent injury to even happen.

Oh well, I'd play on 1 leg too for a shot at the cup.

I could buy that kind of thing during the actual rehab process but not when playing the game. The stress on the knees is not as demanding as other sports but it's possible.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
It's funny how many people got mad when PD ruled Thornton out several games in advanced because he was taking morning skate which means he must be close so why rule him out if there is a chance?! Now everyone is mad he skated because clearly he was never going to play. Maybe Thornton wanted to skate and as long as the doctor said it was fine DW/PD let him do what he wants. The crazy amount of speculation on these boards is one thing, but then formulating opinions of people/decisions based on speculation seems crazy to me. At the end of the day, the org has no obligation to the fans or anyone to tell us exactly what's going on. There is a reason you get so many non-answers or vague statements.

Should the NHL join other leagues in terms of injury transparency? Probably, but that's up the Owners and NHLPA to negotiate. Until then, stop acting surprised when the org says one thing and then when the facts come out the opposite is true. How many more years of injury hiding/gamesmanship is it going to take before fans catch on

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
So DeBoer played Pavelski alongside two guys with serious shoulder problems, in a position he's not suited for and he hasn't played for years. On top of that, he used that trio as a top6 line. That is an epic piece of coaching. DeBoer should write a book named "how to prevent your best goal scorer from doing his job". Everytime Meier was on Pavelski's line, it was good but it was terrible pretty much every shift Meier wasn't on it. Kane was so bad, he probably shouldn't have played. Donskoi wasn't much better. They were ready for bottom six minutes at best. Yet still DeBoer had Hansen and Goodrow (mostly) scratched and Meier playing limited 3rd line minutes. Seriously. How does this fool still have a job? I haven't even started talking about Martin or Matchups...

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
What? Overpay Boedker, Dillon, or Jones? Do you know comparables? In Boedkers FA class, Eriksson got 6, Ladd got 6, and Boedker got 4. I’d take Boedker over the other 2. Dillon is a 5 that can step up into the top 4 if needed. That’s definitely worth the 3.25 that he’s making. And Jones is an amazing playoff goalie in a league where you have goalies making over 6-7M and he signed for less.

He could have been signed for less if DW waited and not jumped in for an early contract extension. Jones' cap hit is the exact same amount as Fleury at $5.75/yr. Kinda hard to say that Jones is worth more than Fleury, let along equal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad