I'm disappointed that I won't get to watch McDavid in the playoffs

TooManyHumans

May 4, 2018
I am still scratching my head as to why anyone would want to be a fan of that.

I abandoned the Redskins because the owner is a *****e who only cares about $$$.
Personally I was born into being a Pirates fan and can't simply decide to root for some other team unfortunately. That said, I minimize the depression by actively avoiding watching them whenever possible.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Personally I was born into being a Pirates fan and can't simply decide to root for some other team unfortunately. That said, I minimize the depression by actively avoiding watching them whenever possible.

That's what I do with the Redskins. I basically don't have a team, although I root for whoever is playing Dallass.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Agreed. Any league it’s at it’s best when it’s best players are winning championships.

I appreciate the sentiment but would modify it to “competing” for a championship vs “winning”. Using another league as a corollary, the Mavs winning in 2010 (?) was one for the ages and their only star power was Dirk. They dropped the Heat with LBJ/Wade/Bosch in the finals.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
You already watch Mcdavid in the playoffs. His playoff mode is the last few games of the season when he goes all out to try to win individual awards

Reactions: No Draft

wretched34

Dec 16, 2013
Lethbridge
That line up could probably score 300+ goals which would be good for 1st in the league in most years. All they would need is to keep a goal differential of approximately +35 to +45 in order to be a contender for the Cup. So roughly 270-280 GA which they’ve easily managed to allow well under the last few years.

They’d be a contender for sure, maybe not a cup winner yet. But they’d be close. Chiarelli really did quite a number on that roster.

You're also forgetting salary cap, that's a $50+M top 6/7 forward group.
Mean you need another 6 forwards, 7 or 8 D and 2 goalies for around $30M. Average NHL top 4 would eat up close to $20M. Starting goalie is another $4.5+. So, you've got 5 mil for 6 forwards, 3 d and a backup..... it's impossible.
That's why the majority of lottery winners end up broke. They keep buying nice things until they just can't afford it anymore.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
It's a shame but it's not like great players have failed to make the playoffs before early in their careers.

Stamkos - Missed 4/5 first seasons
Tavares - Missed 4/5 first seasons
MacKinnon - Missed 3 straight years

Older guys:

Iginla - Missed 7 straight years
Lemieux - Missed 4/5 first seasons

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
You're also forgetting salary cap, that's a $50+M top 6/7 forward group.
Mean you need another 6 forwards, 7 or 8 D and 2 goalies for around $30M. Average NHL top 4 would eat up close to $20M. Starting goalie is another $4.5+. So, you've got 5 mil for 6 forwards, 3 d and a backup..... it's impossible.
That's why the majority of lottery winners end up broke. They keep buying nice things until they just can't afford it anymore.
Well Tkachuk, Yamamoto and Barzal/Chabot would be on their ELC’s so they would only take up around a million atm. They wouldn’t have to worry about second contracts till this summer or 2020 depending on when these players became pros.

Regardless, Eberle’s contract would be up so that would save them $6M. Like the Oilers would’ve cared anyway, they could’ve been a Cup contender for a minimum 3 years and then have time to figure out the cap issues later.

If Chiarelli and the old boys club didn’t meddle so much, they’d be winning and they’d have all these additional assets and be in a considerably better position today. For the rest of the Pacific division though, we definitely appreciate everything Chiarelli did.

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
How much of McDavid do you watch? Honest question, this isn't really something that can be right or wrong because it's something that is completely a matter of personal opinion and enjoyment, but I think watching McDavid and his terrible Oilers is as enjoyable as watching any team in the league. That's how good he is.
No

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
You already watch Mcdavid in the playoffs. His playoff mode is the last few games of the season when he goes all out to try to win individual awards

And almost broke his leg

A+ for effort to collect points

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
If Chiarelli did nothing, the Oilers would be a Cup contender today.

Hall-McDavid-Barzal
Tkachuk-Draisaitl-Eberle
Yamamoto - RNH - Chiasson
+ swap Barzal for (D) Thomas Chabot

To be fair though, the organization asked Chiarelli to rush the rebuild. The losing culture of the Oilers organization created this mess. They hired McTavish as GM because he was "impatient" and then desperation set in which triggered a string of new coaching and GM hires which then resulted in the trades of perceived "problem players" like Hall (Hart winner), Schultz (2 time Stanley Cup champion), Eberle (in the playoffs today) and etc.

How could he get Tkachuk?

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
it's not like he did anything special last time he was in the playoffs.
Nonsense, he was great in the 2017 playoffs (except on faceoffs).

I understand why younger fans think the sky is falling if a superstar misses the playoffs a few times. I mean, I get it. If you've been watching the NHL for seven years and McDavid missed the playoffs most of the past four years, it seems like forever. But it's not unusual, or even necessarily a big deal. (Let's pause to remember McDavid is barely 22.)

Steve Yzerman's team had losing records each of his first four seasons. In his third year, they were .250 and last overall. In his first eight years, the Red Wings had one season over .500. Then, when his team started getting really good, he was considered a borderline playoff choker who "couldn't get it done" from about age 28 to 32. His legacy sure seems good now, though.

Mario Lemieux's team missed the playoffs five of his first six seasons. That means McDavid and the Oilers would have to miss two more seasons in a row to match Lemieux's team's playoff futility. Lemieux sure seems a playoff legend now, though!

Joe Sakic's teams records in his first four seasons: .381, .194, .288, .325. That's obviously far, far worse than Edmonton now. Just like Mario, he missed the playoffs five of his first six seasons.

So, everybody chill. McDavid's legacy is already great and will only improve with playoff appearances/success. He might be around for another 15 years. He's got time.

Reactions: Tremor

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
How could he get Tkachuk?
Selecting Tkachuk #4 instead of Puljujarvi. Or trading down and nabbing him at #6. I thought I remember hearing they would’ve taken him over Pierre Luc Dubois. Of course Columbus ended up take PLD and the rest is history.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Agreed. Any league it’s at it’s best when it’s best players are winning championships. I said the same back before the 2016 season started, that it’ll be a real let down (even as a Hawks fan) if Crosby and Malkin don’t start winning Cups
I have to disagree. Having the favorite superstars crammed down your throat all the time isn’t great. There are plenty of great players in the league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smokescreen

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Selecting Tkachuk #4 instead of Puljujarvi. Or trading down and nabbing him at #6. I thought I remember hearing they would’ve taken him over Pierre Luc Dubois. Of course Columbus ended up take PLD and the rest is history.

Well that never would have happened...

neXis

Jan 3, 2016
29kpge9.png

Just comparing his draft class. :sarcasm::sarcasm:

JudgeandJury

Jun 17, 2009
The good news is even after yesterday McDavid is still tied with Kucherov and Crosby in the playoff scoring race (and ahead in +/-) :D

Smokescreen

Apr 9, 2019
Boohoo, no one deserves to be in the playoffs. Not even McDavid. This is a team sport, and the Oilers have failed to grasp this for the last 13 years. Mr.12.5 will be fine, for all the shit Oiler fans talked across the interwebs after their 2nd round exit this is well deserved. Humble pie. I highly doubt you will see McDavid back in the playoffs before 2021, and even that is being generous. Dumpster fire team with the worst management group in North American sports.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3